Will 2D gaming die when the DS and PSP are released?

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
That is my biggest fear. The GBA is the last bastion for NEW 2D releases. I kinda hope the DS and PSP fail because I don't want developers to stop making 2D games just yet. I think the 2D format is better suited for portables any way.

Well, just b/c technology increases in power doesn't mean the 2d format will be abandoned. There'll always be a market in fighters, side-scrollers, shooters in the 2d plane. Look at Viewtiful Joe. It was great, and while sales weren't fantubular, it garned alot of great reviews and it'll probably become a great cult game. So no need to worry.

I think the touch pad from the DS would encourage new types of 2d games to be made. PSP itself was never made with 2d games in mind. I don't think it is really a "portable" machine since the games wouldn't be pick up and play most of the time.

As long as SNK/Playmore is releasing Neo-Geo games for Xbox/PS2 I think we are safe. If you use a PC there is a hugh homebrew scene in Asia right now, mostly centered on shoot 'em ups but platformers & fighters get represented.

And there is always re-releases & collections. Yea Midways Arcade Treasures 2!! (Moral Kombat will be included!!!

[quote name='peteloaf']
And there is always re-releases & collections. Yea Midways Arcade Treasures 2!! (Moral Kombat will be included!!![/quote]

Oh, how I long for moral kombat. The K means it is extreme, the morals means it is wholesome.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='peteloaf']
And there is always re-releases & collections. Yea Midways Arcade Treasures 2!! (Moral Kombat will be included!!![/quote]

Oh, how I long for moral kombat. The K means it is extreme, the morals means it is wholesome.[/quote]

I Am Sofa King We Todd Ed
sorry, I suppose I should proof my work huh?

2-D is almost dead already. But like some said earlier, SNK/Playmore seems to be sticking to 2-D and that's why I love em.

I can see Nintendo at least TRYING 2D games on the DS, but Sony's 2D position has been shall we say "hostile".

Yeah I have played a few shooters from smaller companies that have been pretty good. (I can't remember the name of the game right now).

Nintendo wont go away from 2-d, as long as there are ideas to made that work in 2-d. They mnay add 3d backrounds or characters, but on the DS at least, i dont think 2d will go away.

[quote name='Gameboy415']I'm pretty sure one of the launch games on PSP is Darkstalkers tho......[/quote]

Yeah, I forgot about that one. I'd eventually get a PSP for that game but I'd wait until the system price comes down. Darkstalkers 3 on my PS1 will suffice until then.

I really dislike Darkstalkers for some reason. Maybe I should bive it some more playtime, but it just does not seem all that fun.

I am hoping for a portable SF anniversery collection and a new match of the millenium on one of the systems

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I really dislike Darkstalkers for some reason. Maybe I should bive it some more playtime, but it just does not seem all that fun.[/quote]

Probably you subconciously hate it because Capcom keeps using that damn Morrigan sprite.

I hear you jmcc. Morrigan really needs a new sprite badly.

Darkstalkers isn't the best of the Capcom fighters. I like it for the wacky characters more than anything. The anime is pretty damn good too.

Oh, and Midnight Bliss is the most entertaining move ever. I have seen more discussion on that one move more than any other I can think of.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I hear you jmcc. Morrigan really needs a new sprite badly.

Darkstalkers isn't the best of the Capcom fighters. I like it for the wacky characters more than anything. The anime is pretty damn good too.

Oh, and Midnight Bliss is the most entertaining move ever. I have seen more discussion on that one move more than any other I can think of.[/quote]

Using it on Hugo in SNK vs. Capcom ranks among humanities worst crimes, though.

I doubt that the new handhelds will be the death knell of the 2D game. As long as there's handheld devices, no matter what the processing power is, 2D will always be a mainstay.

The reason why 3D works on consoles and PCs is because the size of the screen, as it's able to give feeling to the player that they're in a 3-D world. The practical use of a handheld doesn't immerse the user into this feeling since a 3D world on a 5 inch screen doesn't drag the user from their surroundings. Also, a console/pc game on a monitor is stationary, where a handheld can be moved and bumped which can cause dissonance between the player and the unit.

Just my professional opinion and some food for thought on the issue.

[quote name='BigDirty']I doubt that the new handhelds will be the death knell of the 2D game. As long as there's handheld devices, no matter what the processing power is, 2D will always be a mainstay. [/quote]

Feel free to let Sony know - I don't believe they're aware.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']That is my biggest fear. The GBA is the last bastion for NEW 2D releases. I kinda hope the DS and PSP fail because I don't want developers to stop making 2D games just yet. I think the 2D format is better suited for portables any way.[/quote]

Blame Sony and their very lovable policies.

At any rate, Nintendo is still producing 2D games IN ADDITION TO (not REPLACING) 3D games on the DS including, as mentioned, a new Mario.

And it looks hot.

[quote name='Sartori']
At any rate, Nintendo is still producing 2D games IN ADDITION TO (not REPLACING) 3D games on the DS including, as mentioned, a new Mario.
[/quote]
Its great that Nintendo is making that new 2-d Mario, but what an innovative use of the the second screen. :roll:

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Sartori']
[/quote]
Its great that Nintendo is making that new 2-d Mario, but what an innovative use of the the second screen. :roll:[/quote]

Dude, just because the DS HAS a second screen and a stylus doesn't mean they must use them in a given game - that's a bonus of the DS design. If developers want to make a standard game as they would on PSP or GBA, there's no issue with that. It's not a requirement to use these additional tools.

It's like a GameSpot article I read - at the end of it he made a jab at the DS because "how on earth would I play fighting games with a stylus!11!" - who said you had to use a stylus?

[quote name='yellowaznboy']When's the last time Nintendo has released a 2D game? Besides the ports and remakes.[/quote]

Paper Mario 2 is a very shining example, considering it's on their next-gen system.

Metroid Fusion, Mario vs Donkey Kong, the upcoming ZELDA: MINISH CAP, Donkey Kong: King of Swing. . . I could go on?

[quote name='Sartori'][quote name='yellowaznboy']When's the last time Nintendo has released a 2D game? Besides the ports and remakes.[/quote]

Paper Mario 2 is a very shining example, considering it's on their next-gen system.

Metroid Fusion, Mario vs Donkey Kong, the upcoming ZELDA: MINISH CAP, Donkey Kong: King of Swing. . . I could go on?[/quote]

Find Waldo...er, I mean 2D games:

GBA:
Classic NES Series: Donkey Kong
Classic NES Series: Excitebike
Classic NES Series: Ice Climber
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros.
Classic NES Series: The Legend of Zelda
Disney's Magical Quest
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
EZ-Talk Shokyuuhen 1-6 Maki Set
F-Zero 2
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Famicom Mini: Balloon Fight
Famicom Mini: Clu Clu Land
Famicom Mini: Dr. Mario
Famicom Mini: Mario Brothers
Famicom Mini: Wrecking Crew
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue
Kirby: Labyrinth in the Mirror
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Party
Mario Pinball
Mario Tennis
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
Mother 1+2
Mother 3
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
Pokemon Ruby Version
Pokemon Sapphire Version
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
The Legend of Stafi
Wario Land 4
WarioWare Inc.: Mega MicroGame$
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

GameCube:
1080 Avalanche
Animal Crossing
Animal Crossing 2
Cubivore
Custom Robo
Kirby Air Ride
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 6
Nintendo GameCube Preview Disc
Nintendo Puzzle Collection
Nintendo Puzzle Compilation
Pac-Man vs.
Paper Mario 2
Pichu Bros: Party Panic
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Pokemon Box: Ruby and Sapphire
Pokemon Channel
Pokemon Colosseum
Stage Debut
Super Mario 128
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 2 (working title)
WarioWare Inc.: Mega Party Game$
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Feel free to suggest 2D games Nintendo has released.

There will probably be not a lot of 2D on the PSP b/c SCEA sucks, but the Nintendo DS will probably have a lot of good 2D titles. Also, they didnt' say they are abandoning the GBA format.

The DS isnt as strong at 3D as the PSP so it may have a feo 2.5D type games but seeing as extended focus on DS games rather than GBA games would cause them to suffer from a split developer base.

So the way I see it:

DS - 5 3D games a year
GBA - 3 3D, 7 2D games a year
PSP - 10 3D games a year , maybe a single 2D game a year

these are just rough estimates though since it's obvious, there'll be lots more than 25 games a year for (not from, FOR) these two companies.

the question itself is extremely stupid. you don't have to wait for DS and PSP in order to see the "2D games die". There are already TONESSS of 3D games released on the planet Earth and I still see many 2D games around :twoguns:

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='peteloaf']

Oh, how I long for moral kombat. The K means it is extreme, the morals means it is wholesome.[/quote]

A game where it really pays to adopt a holier than thou attitude.

[quote name='Sartori']
Dude, just because the DS HAS a second screen and a stylus doesn't mean they must use them in a given game - that's a bonus of the DS design. If developers want to make a standard game as they would on PSP or GBA, there's no issue with that. It's not a requirement to use these additional tools.

It's like a GameSpot article I read - at the end of it he made a jab at the DS because "how on earth would I play fighting games with a stylus!11!" - who said you had to use a stylus?[/quote]

A developer doing a DS game who doesn't use the second screen is making a major mistake and like many doesn't understand the simple value of the second screen in games that aren't distinctly dual screen in design.

One of the big problem in doing 3D on a handheld is the screen dimension. Not just the resolution since even a screen with full NTSC resolution will seem very cramped if it's only about 3" acrosss and you try to create a game display identical to a full size television. THis came up a lot on the Turbo Express. Much of the information like inset maps or other information could be illegible on the small screen. Without producing a complex two-screen game there is a lot to be gained by moving stuff like status displays to the lower screen to unclutter the main display. This was very effectively used in the demos at E3. One good example was the DS Mario Kart prototype that placed the map on the lower display. A very simple thing but it greatly improved how close the small screens were able to approximate the N64 version.

And as for using the stylus in a fighting game, it's obvious. You use it like a spear to stab opponents! Seriously, I can imagine some cool ways to use stylus gestures to control sword movements. It's called creativity. Stylus use won't appeal to everyone but it opens up new possibilities in a field where they're needed.

[quote name='Sartori'][quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Sartori']
[/quote]
Its great that Nintendo is making that new 2-d Mario, but what an innovative use of the the second screen. :roll:[/quote]

It's like a GameSpot article I read - at the end of it he made a jab at the DS because "how on earth would I play fighting games with a stylus!11!" - who said you had to use a stylus?[/quote]
I know they dont have to use the second screen, but Nintendo was talking about how innovative the DS is with 2 screens, and of the their Mario games does not even use the second screen.

2d won't die, but i think it will become a 3d/2d cross kind of like viewtiful joe. Games where the graphics are in 3d but the gameplay is 2d.

bread's done
Back