Will this RAM work on my computer

You won't upgrade the video card in a laptop. 8GB of RAM is overkill for a laptop as well, if it would even work. A lot of them have max memory they can hold, I don't find the specs on that particular laptop's maximum memory, maybe check the owner's manual. If it will hold 8GB, that memory should work.

I ran the crucial scanner thing and I got this

Maximum Memory Capacity: 16777216 MB Currently Installed Memory: 4096 MB
Available Memory Slots: 2
Total Memory Slots: 4
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz Genuine Intel(R) CPU
CPU Speed: 2534 MHz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4 gb won't really do anything. You're laptop is probably using only 2 gb at most while playing games and running necessary programs. Unless you really love multitasking or you're rendering videos then 4 gb is more than enough.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4 gb won't really do anything. You're laptop is probably using only 2 gb at most while playing games and running necessary programs. Unless you really love multitasking or you're rendering videos then 4 gb is more than enough.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he is working on Toy Story 4. :D

If i buy a 4gb right now, and use it with my 2gb samsung installed ram, would it work?

My computer can fit 8gb, so id be using 6gb for right now.

[quote name='sandaz93']If i buy a 4gb right now, and use it with my 2gb samsung installed ram, would it work?

My computer can fit 8gb, so id be using 6gb for right now.[/QUOTE]

Not a good idea to mix and match ram like that. Replacing the 2gb with the 4gb would probably be ok, but it likely won't work out well with both in there.

[quote name='Dezuria']Not a good idea to mix and match ram like that. Replacing the 2gb with the 4gb would probably be ok, but it likely won't work out well with both in there.[/QUOTE]

As long as the timings, voltages, etc... match, you can mix and match brands of RAM all you want.

the kingston value kit will not work for you-it's memory for a desktop. your looking for SODIMM DDR3 for a laptop (that little notch on the bottom HAS to line up with the notch in the memory slot) IMO though, i wouldnt bother upgrading past 4gb total- anything else is just waisting money if your not doing some heavy programs and multi tasking like others have stated

4Gb is plenty... if you really want bang for your buck, upgrade to a solid state hard drive

None of the laptops that I ever had have had 4 slots for RAM... might actually physically want to take a look on how many slots you have b4 buying

It's funny you mention this. I bought my wife a netbook a few months ago and it stated, via crucial, that it could hold 3 gb or ram. I went and purchased the memory but the netbook refused to boot. I tried every kind of memory and it wouldn't work. Finally did some digging around the internet and found out you could only add 1 GB of DDR3. Crucials website has been wrong from time to time. I don't trust them blindly anymore like i used to.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']You won't upgrade the video card in a laptop. 8GB of RAM is overkill for a laptop as well, if it would even work. A lot of them have max memory they can hold, I don't find the specs on that particular laptop's maximum memory, maybe check the owner's manual. If it will hold 8GB, that memory should work.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Shadows916']the kingston value kit will not work for you-it's memory for a desktop. your looking for SODIMM DDR3 for a laptop (that little notch on the bottom HAS to line up with the notch in the memory slot) IMO though, i wouldnt bother upgrading past 4gb total- anything else is just waisting money if your not doing some heavy programs and multi tasking like others have stated[/QUOTE]

so this would work then,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-20-231-342-_-08032011

You need this kind of ram:
ram-merino.jpg

[quote name='sandaz93']LOL! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I imagine you'd be getting the Old Republic. Do you think it would run on my computer? I have the CE pre-ordered but don't if I should pick it up.

[quote name='Jodou']You need this kind of ram:
ram-merino.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I imagine you'd be getting the Old Republic. Do you think it would run on my computer? I have the CE pre-ordered but don't if I should pick it up.

[quote name='sandaz93']I imagine you'd be getting the Old Republic. Do you think it would run on my computer? I have the CE pre-ordered but don't if I should pick it up.[/QUOTE]
Even modest computers can handle the game. If you can run WoW, it should be able to handle this.

[quote name='Jodou']Even modest computers can handle the game. If you can run WoW, it should be able to handle this.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear. Can't wait till it comes out.

never got why that is since pae should allow access to greater amounts than that, 32bit ubuntu has no problem with 8gb using pae

bread's done
Back