Will you be buying M$'s next console?

2DMention

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
It's highly doubtful for me. Paid subscriptions, faulty products. Unless they let me use my Rock Band songs/instruments on the next platform, I won't be supporting M$'s poor quality products.

How much is MS's next console? What does it do? What games are coming out for it?

Or is this a last-minute grab for the Worst Poll Of The Year Award?

Well, I bought a slim Xbox 360 after having a crappy old 360 that I had to pay online for. Unless they do something drastic, I'm sure I'll get MS's next console. By drastic I mean the next console is Kinect controllable only.

I believe my account doesnt expire on xbl until 2013/2014. I wont be getting a new console unless my xbox red rings.

microsoft said they didn't have any plans to develop another console, if anything they are going to try and break into the handheld market as both sony and microsoft have put in patents of touch screen technology recently.

[quote name='chankk']I believe my account doesnt expire on xbl until 2013/2014. I wont be getting a new console unless my xbox red rings.[/QUOTE]

Your Xbox will prob red ring tomorrow

I'm sure they're working on something though. After The PlayStation 4 and whatever comes after the Wii, the number of people playing/buying Xbox 360's is going to drop.

Too early for me to say for sure with no details etc. But if I do buy a next gen console, it would likely be the MS one since I mainly play FPS and WRPGs and have little interest in most Japanese developed games (so most Sony exclusives don't interest me much) nor motion control focused games, casual games or Nintendo franchises (which rules out Nintendo's next console).

The main sticking point is motion controls, if all three consoles have them and start shoe horning them into traditional genre games like Nintendo has most games on the Wii I won't buy any consoles.

No doubt! M$ online interface is the most successful of all the consoles, I don't mind paying for live being that it is solid and i don't have many problems with it. Then again I'll eventually buy whatever $ony comes up with too but M$ is a day one purchase for me.

i dunno, they just launched Kinect and the Slim isn't very old either. working in the videogame industry, new console platforms usually get released every 4-5 years...but once the 360 and ps3 hit the market, that timeline no longer applied.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Except you need to do it like this:

M-$
-$ony
NintenDOUGH+

Since MS and Sony will likely do an overpriced system again and lose money. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yea because Microsoft sure is losing their ass on the 360... :roll:

If over $1 Billion in Live revenue is losing money, sign me up.

I have a PS3 and can't stand it. I use it for bluray and nothing else.

Damn straight I will buy MS's next, and you can bet your ass they have been working on it already for at least a year.

I have had my 360 for 2-3 years now, and had no issues. I had to let my live subscription expire but plan on starting it up again soon. I am disappointed they increased the price of the online sub though.

Overall I am perfectly happy with the 360 and will be getting their next system. Of course the only company I dislike more than Sony is Apple. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LottaGames']Poor online, no games, no reliability, not a chance. I'll continue to keep and collect everything else though.[/QUOTE]

^^ Look, we found something in this thread even dumber than using "M$."

I have no idea what system I'd buy since none have been announced. But the one thing the microsft consonle would have an advantage on already for me is xbox live/my friends list.

[quote name='LottaGames']Poor online, no games, no reliability, not a chance. I'll continue to keep and collect everything else though.[/QUOTE]

no games? lol.

Yes, I will definitely be buying the Xbox 720. Probably not at launch though, I'll need to wait a year or so for the first price drop.

I own all 3 this generation systems so i'm not a fanboy but hands down the 360 is my favorite system and gets the most play, I have 3 in my house... I know more real life PS3 fans than 360 but XBL/360 controller >>> PSN/PS3 controller plus graphics are better usually on 360 on the games i've personally tried to play multi-platform with friends.

I might not buy at launch next time on the Xbox but i'll get it as soon as the 1st big shooter comes out. Sony system I probably wont buy untill a price drop for exclusives. Mine has been a Netflix/BR/exclusives system only the 3 years i've had it. Nintendo system will be a tough sell, I don't like motion garbage and it's been unhooked in my enertainment center since I moved in Feb... Picked up a couple games but haven't hooked it up.

Full disclosure: 360 owner since launch day. 5 red rings all covered under extended warranty of launch system last one happened the month the warranty was about to expire AND i'm still hugging Microsoft's nuts!

Get that Sony dick out of your mouth.

Poor online.... XBL is so much more superior to PSN it isn't even funny.

Sony does have the better exclusives IMO. But saying Microsoft has no games? That is laughable.

On Topic:

Yes. M$ has my money for their next console.

The first generation of PS2's were all faulty. I replaced mine twice. However, that still didn't hurt PS2 from being the beast that it was. Furthermore, the PS2 library was crazy good.

The 360 has the best library in the US at the moment IMO. Plus, MS made good by extending the warranty to 3 years for all the faulty consoles. The 360 gave us an much improved XBL, great controller, cheaper then PS3 (most times), great exclusives, achievements, dashboard, arcade games, stalls to HDD and so much more. I can't wait to see what MS does in the next round.

So will I buy the next console....f yeah I will. I'll also buy whatever Sony and Nintendo put out there as well.

[quote name='100xp']no games? lol.[/QUOTE]

Not one worth playing that isn't on PS3, Wii, or even PC. Why buy a console just for inferior ports? I question the rationality of those choosing 'yes', but they're just kids who lack long-term gaming experience so they have a slight excuse.

[quote name='LottaGames']Not one worth playing that isn't on PS3, Wii, or even PC.
[/QUOTE]

I'd quit gaming before playing on the PC. That said, it is true that exclusives are rarer these days.

But still games like Gears of War, Mass Effect (though the 2nd one is coming to PS3 finally) and Halo give MS the edge over Sony in games I want to play. Add in that I vastly prefer the 360 controller for shooters and have more real life friends gaming on Live than PSN and it was a no brainer for me personally.

And inferior ports? If you're into shooters or WRPGs those often play better (or at least identically) on the 360 over the PS3 as they tend to be made with the 360 (or PC) as the lead sku and get ported to the PS3.

I'm no fanboy--nothing is dumber than having loyalty to a corporation. Just saying it's silly to say any of these consoles have "no games."

They all have good games. Just a matter of which one has the most games in genre's you enjoy.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd quit gaming before playing on the PC. That said, it is true that exclusives are rarer these days.

But still games like Gears of War, Mass Effect (though the 2nd one is coming to PS3 finally) and Halo give MS the edge over Sony in games I want to play. Add in that I vastly prefer the 360 controller for shooters and have more real life friends gaming on Live than PSN and it was a no brainer for me personally.

And inferior ports? If you're into shooters or WRPGs those often play better (or at least identically) on the 360 over the PS3 as they tend to be made with the 360 (or PC) as the lead sku and get ported to the PS3.

I'm no fanboy--nothing is dumber than having loyalty to a corporation. Just saying it's silly to say any of these consoles have "no games."

They all have good games. Just a matter of which one has the most games in genre's you enjoy.[/QUOTE]
This

Console fanboyism is only for kids and people who cant afford multiple systems so they need to come up with reasons as to not like the system they didnt buy. All 3 systems are great with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Now of course they are people who just prefer on system over the other but its rare to find someone who has gone that route and not instantly started bitching about the other platform at least on the interwebs.

[quote name='LottaGames']Not one worth playing that isn't on PS3, Wii, or even PC. Why buy a console just for inferior ports? I question the rationality of those choosing 'yes', but they're just kids who lack long-term gaming experience so they have a slight excuse.[/QUOTE]

everyone has their opinion. though seriously, Wii has a few solid titles the rest are shovelware. I have a wii also, infact I got it first and it looks great sitting on my shelf and plays great on the holidays when the family comes around. Though I'd imagine if I had Kinect I wouldn't have to bring both consoles home for the holidays.

the PS3 engine is better statistically to the 360 one but only a fraction of the developers actually utilize it, most the times cross platform games end up being in favor of the xbox graphically and lightning/shading...besides, I don't like driving games and don't need a bluray player.

the xbox 360 forum slogan says it all.

I don't play PC much myself. DRM, Steam, and other malware took all the fun out of it. It used to be the only way to play FPS's for real (only children use analog sticks) but I bought a FnS for PS3 that does ok.

Ugh, those games couldn't be any more cookie cutter. If people are going to brag about games at least pick something original and fun. ME2 is a good example of when a game, once decided to be worth playing, gets ported to another platform with improvements.

Disagree. The 360 controller is horribly unbalanced. It's no coincidence that everything copies the DS2/3 layout. As for ports I'm glad to wait a little while for the 360 to bugtest the games before other platforms receive a revised version.

Oh neither am I. My collection is over 30 consoles large with hundreds of games. Never been loyal to just one, but I won't reward a company like M$ who brings nothing new to the market except blunders. If it matters I didn't reward Nin by buying another DS since the original and I'm not a big fan of the PSP. Since exclusives are rare it just makes more sense to buy a Wii for Nin's games then a PS3 for the sheer variety of titles. It comes down to first party titles and M$ doesn't have that.

I'll get it, but I'll be reading here, and various other sites first to make sure it's reliable enough to buy early, cause with this gen and four replacement 360's.....Depending on how people talk about the next console I'll either get it shortly after launch, or wait a bit.

Sure they will have my money along with the extended warranty for the system. That thing really paid for itself with the 360.

I'm not a fan of the 360 controller. I just personally don't like it for some reason. Saying it doesn't have good games is pretty dumb. I'm down with the PS3 myself. But there are games on it that the PS3 doesn't have that I want.

Controller is just individual preference.

I find the dual shock too small, and I hate having the analog sticks side by side, especially for dual analog games which is mostly what I play. But others like it that way. To each their own.

I have all three and as far as the 360 goes I'm on my 6th or 7th and you know what? I'm still there day one. The features that MS has brought to the table, the marketplace and the robustness of Live along with Halo goes a long way. I have even bought into a second system with the Slim, and it seems far more reliable, so if they can match that quality there shouldn't be any issues next gen.

My Wii comes in second with all the first party Nintendo games and the VC, and PS3 a distant third. It's great, but all cross platform purchases go to the 360 due to Live and a superior controller. Their first party titles are good for rentals, just not worth building a third library for this gen. So mostly it has become the BD player. Honestly, if they stick with the Dual Shock again, I'm totally out next gen. That thing was an outdated turd when the PS3 launched, let alone whenever the PS4 comes along. It's a relic that needs to go away. That would be like launching the Wii2 with a slightly revised N64 controller. It's absurd they haven't evolved with the times.

My #1 want though is backwards compatibility across the board, that includes retail games, XBLA games, DLC which includes Rock Band tracks. Controller BC would be nice, but they would be shooting themselves in the foot if instruments weren't backwards compatible.

The PS3 fanboy a couple posts up mentioned another reason XBL is superior to PSN.

That FragFX mouse controller shit for PS3, if you want to play with a mouse play on the PC. No question it's better vs a controller but you scared to play on equal ground? PS3 is lame, even damn OPM this month has a interview segment with a "pro gamer" and former #1 ranked CoD guy and he credits half his success to the programmable mouse/stick. All you do is click 1 mouse button and you drop shot. Not to mention accuracy....

No fanboy can argue the PS3 controller is good for shooters. You have no triggers unless you buy a add-on and remap the buttons. Side by side sticks and just a small uncomfortable controller for anyone with man hands to hold and play for long periods of time. In comparison to the more spacious 360 controller.

[quote name='LottaGames']I don't play PC much myself. DRM, Steam, and other malware took all the fun out of it. It used to be the only way to play FPS's for real (only children use analog sticks) but I bought a FnS for PS3 that does ok.

Ugh, those games couldn't be any more cookie cutter. If people are going to brag about games at least pick something original and fun. ME2 is a good example of when a game, once decided to be worth playing, gets ported to another platform with improvements.

Disagree. The 360 controller is horribly unbalanced. It's no coincidence that everything copies the DS2/3 layout. As for ports I'm glad to wait a little while for the 360 to bugtest the games before other platforms receive a revised version.

Oh neither am I. My collection is over 30 consoles large with hundreds of games. Never been loyal to just one, but I won't reward a company like M$ who brings nothing new to the market except blunders. If it matters I didn't reward Nin by buying another DS since the original and I'm not a big fan of the PSP. Since exclusives are rare it just makes more sense to buy a Wii for Nin's games then a PS3 for the sheer variety of titles. It comes down to first party titles and M$ doesn't have that.[/QUOTE]

You must be a troll.

If you are serious though, allow me to retort:

1. Only children use analog sticks for FPS? Seriously?
2. Gears of War cookie cutter? It's not original? I don't like the series that much but even I know that it is anything but cookie cutter. Same thing applies to Mass Effect.
3. It's no coincidence that everyone copies the Dual Shock layout? You mean the one that Sony themselves stole from the SNES? Surely you aren't trying to say that MS copied the DS layout for the 360 controller. You can't really be that stupid, can you?
4. Can you specify exactly what blunders MS has released?

[quote name='LottaGames']

Oh neither am I. My collection is over 30 consoles large with hundreds of games. Never been loyal to just one, but I won't reward a company like M$ who brings nothing new to the market except blunders. If it matters I didn't reward Nin by buying another DS since the original and I'm not a big fan of the PSP. Since exclusives are rare it just makes more sense to buy a Wii for Nin's games then a PS3 for the sheer variety of titles. It comes down to first party titles and M$ doesn't have that. [/QUOTE]

I think you need to learn to explain things a little better there bud.

How are those games cookie cutter?

Unbalanced controller? Really? Is it because the weight isn't equally proportioned for people with tiny hands... I would say that a 360 controller is a lot more comfortable than the PS3 controller which barely fits in the average person's hands. As for it being similar to a DS2/3 contoller... What does that make the DS2/3, a copy of N64/SNES controller or PC gaming controllers because it has arrows and shoulder buttons?

How on earth has everything Microsoft brought to the market been a blunder? They had faulty systems that they handled quickly and without cost to the consumers. I don't remember Sony correcting any of their mistakes that they had [and still have].

Sure Sony may have more first party exclusives, but I would rather see quality instead of quantity. Really the only ones that are of quality are: Uncharted(s), LittleBigPlanet, inFamous and to an extent Gran Turismo. But then again... Aren't all of those "cookie cutter" in a sense except for LBP?

the main reason why the girls keep coming back to play Rock Band at my place vs their place is...the Rock Band stage kit which is exclusively for xbox 360. Plus I have plush wall to wall carpeting in the living room.

the original xbox controller was way too big, the xbox 360 controller is a good fit. while it might seem heavy at times it's mainly because it's wireless w/rumble.

[quote name='$hady']That FragFX mouse controller shit for PS3, if you want to play with a mouse play on the PC. No question it's better vs a controller but you scared to play on equal ground? PS3 is lame, even damn OPM this month has a interview segment with a "pro gamer" and former #1 ranked CoD guy and he credits half his success to the programmable mouse/stick. All you do is click 1 mouse button and you drop shot. Not to mention accuracy....

No fanboy can argue the PS3 controller is good for shooters. You have no triggers unless you buy a add-on and remap the buttons. Side by side sticks and just a small uncomfortable controller for anyone with man hands to hold and play for long periods of time. In comparison to the more spacious 360 controller.[/QUOTE]

Nobody will disagree about PSN > Live, but you're mistaken about the next part. FnS is the FragnStein. FragFX didn't get as great reviews. The PC can't be trusted to give you a 'clean' game anymore so I moved to consoles. On the flip side why are you too scared to play with M/KB? Using anything else for an FPS is like using a steering wheel for a fighting game. Analogs for shooters is the kiddie way like back on the N64. It's time to move on to the method the genre was designed for. If you like to remain behind that's fine but don't cry when you can't keep up. There's no reason we need to degrade ourselves to your level just so you have a chance.

Since shooters aren't that great to begin with there isn't much of an argument to be had. Triggers aren't necessary (I mean who cares, they're the same either way) and side by side sticks are FAR better than the 360's unbalanced and unusable setup.

Last console generation I was ALL about the Playstation 2. This generation I'm ALL about the 360. So who knows. Price, games and the new variables of if my past download purchases will transfer along with online structure all play a part now.

PS- the M$ is really, really played out by now.

[quote name='masked lemon']If you are serious though, allow me to retort:

1. Only children use analog sticks for FPS? Seriously?
2. Gears of War cookie cutter? It's not original? I don't like the series that much but even I know that it is anything but cookie cutter. Same thing applies to Mass Effect.
3. It's no coincidence that everyone copies the Dual Shock layout? You mean the one that Sony themselves stole from the SNES? Surely you aren't trying to say that MS copied the DS layout for the 360 controller. You can't really be that stupid, can you?
4. Can you specify exactly what blunders MS has released?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Nobody who does well with those games uses analog. Why do you think they cry so much when someone using M/KB joins their game? They KNOW it's the better choice but they're too stubborn to step up their game.

Pretty much. Shooters whether they're first or third person have been done to death. Change the skins and graphics and they act like it's a whole new game. ME is an RPG so that wasn't included (if that wasn't clear earlier, my bad).

All controllers over the years borrow from one another, usually with Nin leading the way. Most controllers these days have 2 or 4 shoulder buttons, all the face buttons, and sensibly placed analog sticks in the middle. I never said Sony had an original design, but M$ tried to be cool/different and failed.

Oh boy, where do I start and what won't you kids try to play off as fanboyism? As a long time gamer who isn't tied to a single company I have more experience than most. M$ has an unreliable console which isn't acceptable. Only one of my original PS1's broke, nothing else. Stuff that's three times as old as the 360 works great. A poor library of games with no variety. I need a selection from many genres. The online is terrible, never before has anyone charged a ridiculous fee other than MMO's, and the only thing that buys you is a bunch of immature kids whining into the mic and tons of ads. There's nothing wrong with PSN. Shall I continue? I didn't plan on having to explain everything other than vote with a resounding NO to the poll. A console is only as good as the games it can offer.

I'll buy one of the systems after the first or second year. I shouldn't buy any of the consoles at launch because the failure rates are much higher and launch games tend to suck.

...With that said, I'll probably buy them all at launch anyway. :bomb:

bread's done
Back