Williams Pinball Hall of Fame?

WrestleCrap'sRD

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
According to Amazon, this is now in stock for the Wii. Has anyone seen it at a B&M? I love pinball (in fact I own one of the machines on this collection, Whirlwind), so I am very interested in getting it...

RD

I'm curious about it, but honestly, the more 'complex' pinball machines (Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Terminator 2, Star Trek the Next Generation, Dr. Who) sort of ruined me for most pinball machines.

And this collection lacks anything that has potentially profit reducing trademarked material in it.

I dare to dream that one day... one day I will be able to play simulated Twilight Zone Pinball. One day, I will be able to get the Powerball out of the gumball machine, and have The Power laugh when I try to use it against it. One day, I will sling the steel sphere god into the bumpers and cause midtown madness, and then pick up hitchhikers.

... One day.

But that day is not today. And this game will be ignored by me.

[quote name='bmulligan']Any pinball collection without William's High Speed isn't worth having anyway.[/QUOTE]
Fixed. ;)

That said, I might get the Williams disc if it's decent and budget-priced. Black Knight and Funhouse are worth a few bucks.

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']Fixed. ;)

That said, I might get the Williams disc if it's decent and budget-priced. Black Knight and Funhouse are worth a few bucks.

--R.J.[/QUOTE]

I'll be interested to see how Whirlwind plays in comparison to the real machine. ;)

RD

[quote name='ZForce']I was wondering about those pinball machines in the background in the Alex Wright dancing video :)[/QUOTE]

That'd be a Whirlwind, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and a World Cup Soccer 94. ;)

RD

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']there is pinball emulation. You can play all those games you mentioned on your cpus. pm me if you have questions.[/QUOTE]
PinMAME hasn't been released for the Mac yet. :whistle2:(

--R.J.

[quote name='Gourd']And this collection lacks anything that has potentially profit reducing trademarked material in it.[/quote]

What the heck does this mean? :???:

As for me, I'm all for any well-executed pinball sim, old-school or newer. I've been playing for about 40 years and it' all good. :D

[quote name='DrMoze']What the heck does this mean? :???: [/quote]

It means that Williams isn't going to go out of its way to create video game versions of tables that it has to pay licensing fees to a trademark / copyright holder for.

Such as anything based on Star Trek, Twilight Zone, or Addams Family. Tables I mentioned wanting?

[quote name='Gourd']It means that Williams isn't going to go out of its way to create video game versions of tables that it has to pay licensing fees to a trademark / copyright holder for.

Such as anything based on Star Trek, Twilight Zone, or Addams Family. Tables I mentioned wanting?[/QUOTE]

You know what's weird is that years ago, Midway (or someone) actually released a pinball collection for Windows...and it actually had Creature from the Black Lagoon on it. Too bad that won't see release on this disc.

RD

Anyone get a copy of this in a retail store? If so which one? I know I can order from amazon or Walmart but I was thinking about getting it to play this weekend. (I'm a huge Pinball fan - ProPinball Timeshock is the best ever for computer in my opinion.)

I looked at BB, CC, MicroCenter, Target and called EB/GS. Walmart site says it's for sale online only?

Has anyone found it at a B&M?

[quote name='Gourd']It means that Williams isn't going to go out of its way to create video game versions of tables that it has to pay licensing fees to a trademark / copyright holder for.

Such as anything based on Star Trek, Twilight Zone, or Addams Family. Tables I mentioned wanting?[/quote]

Several non-"TM" games I'd rather see are out there: Attack from Mars, Cirqus Voltaire, etc. Never was a fan of TZ, and Trek playfield is just too wide-open with small ramps/lanes too far away. Addams is a classic tho.

[quote name='DrMoze']Several non-"TM" games I'd rather see are out there: Attack from Mars, Cirqus Voltaire, etc. Never was a fan of TZ, and Trek playfield is just too wide-open with small ramps/lanes too far away. Addams is a classic tho.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Medieval Madness, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Cactus Canyon, Champion Pub, Theater of Magic...;)

RD

Got mine today, finally, and have to say this is one fun game. Have only played Whirlwind and Funhouse so far. Both are pretty good approximations of the real thing. Not perfect, but a lot of fun.

RD

WrestleCrap'sRD;4033055]Don't forget Medieval Madness said:
All excellent (except I've never played CC, understandably). MM and ToM are 2 old favorites. And it would be cool if they added Big Bang Bar to a collection!

[quote name='DrMoze']All excellent (except I've never played CC, understandably). MM and ToM are 2 old favorites. And it would be cool if they added Big Bang Bar to a collection![/QUOTE]

BBB is actually a Capcom machine. I cannot fathom a Pinball Hall of Fame: The Capcom Collection, as I think it would be BBB and nothing else. ;)

BTW, I beat Whirlwind on the Wii Collection today (it's way, way, WAY easier than the real machine!), and it unlocked mirror mode. Having played that machine for the past 17 years or so, having owned it for the past 12 months, I have to say it is the weirdest thing ever to see it reversed. A lot of fun.

But now I really want a real Funhouse machine...and the wife has said, "No way" due to the creepiness factor. lol

RD

Got this today from Amazon.

If you're a pinball fan I HIGHLY recommend it. The Wii controls are great for pinball. Very nice assortment of tables too - much better than the Gottlieb collection (though I still wish they'd release that one for Wii with the game engine from the Williams version for completeness sake.) I unlocked all the initial Black Knight challenges my first time through. Cool... I spent a lot of money on that one back in the early 80's.

I'm off to play some more but seriously want people to buy this so the developers will see there's a demand and release another...maybe PHOF: Bally or PHOF: Williams # 2.

I played this for a bit yesterday. I don't see why they really needed to use Nunchuk combo in this. I would have been content with holding the Wiimote classic style. Besides that odd quirk. thought it was pretty cool.

[quote name='rjung']How are the physics? I'm really finicky about accurate pinball physics...

--R.J.[/quote]

To me the physics seem really accurate. I haven't played any of these pinballs in real life in a long time so I can't say they're dead accurate. They do seem good though. To me the physics are on par with the Pro Pinball series or maybe a 1/2 notch below. Give Pro Pinball a 5/5 and this game a 4.5/5. I'm very pleased.

PinMAME and Visual Pinball...

Some tables work really good (Bad Cats, Taxi, most of the golden-era machines)
Some are OK (Addams Family, Attack from Mars, Twilight Zone, etc)
Some are pitiful...

Never been a fan of video pinball because the physics is never quite right. That said, a $20 Wii game vs. a $2,000 table... I can see why some people would say "eh, fuck saving up, I'll just buy the Wii game".

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Never been a fan of video pinball because the physics is never quite right.[/quote]
I'm telling ya, man -- Littlewing rules for realistic digital pinball games. And their original boards can easily hold their own with Williams' best, in terms of both rules and layouts.

If you haven't played a Littlewing pinball yet, you're missing out on some serious stuff.

--R.J.

I will vouch for PInball HOF: Williams. I have it for the PS2, and it is VERY accurate from my recollections. I was playing it with a friend of mine who owns several machines and fixes them (I also own one myself, a Data East Star Wars table), and at first I thought that the tables were a little too easy -- that it was too readily able to make the shots you needed. His reaction was "No -- that's the way these things would play if they were brand new, before the little fuckers stick the flipper buttons with their sticky candy fingers and before the connections get weak, and before the play table gets unwaxed." We did agree that the "skill shot" launch mechanic with the right analog stick was uneven and overpowered, and we agreed that the ball speed on Whirlwind can get ludicrous speed fast too easily. But, for the most part, we thought it was a spot-on recreation of each table's physics ("with a high downhill angle on some tables" he said).

Anyway, it's only $13 on Amazon. Get it -- get it now! It's awesome. (And it's a legal way to have those machines to play....*cough*emulation*cough*)

Funhouse is creepy. I wouldn't call it scary though. There's a head that looks like that puppet in Magic. The name in Funhouse is 'Rudy' I think the creepiness factor will probably completely go over the heads of a 2 or 4 yo...unless you've let them watch Magic. ;)

Here's a link to thing's Rudy says, pretty benign; but it's his tone that makes it a bit edgy -

http://www.habosarcade.com/Funhouse-Rudy's%20Dialog.htm

[quote name='ceckman']Funhouse is creepy. I wouldn't call it scary though. There's a head that looks like that puppet in Magic. The name in Funhouse is 'Rudy' I think the creepiness factor will probably completely go over the heads of a 2 or 4 yo...unless you've let them watch Magic. ;)

Here's a link to thing's Rudy says, pretty benign; but it's his tone that makes it a bit edgy -

http://www.habosarcade.com/Funhouse-Rudy's%20Dialog.htm[/quote]

Alright, thanks. I'm looking for sales and when I find one I'll pick this game up.

I just read a review of this in one of the too many game magazines I've got backed up at home and I must say, I'm interested. I'm waiting to see this on sale somewhere cause this looks awesome.

If you have an FYE nearby my understanding is that the Wii version is priced $19.99 there. That's $10.00 less than retail. If you don't know if you have one nearby check - http://www.fye.com/Store-Locator_stcVVcatId474286VVviewcat.htm

You can also use GCO $10 off your first GCO purchase to get it shipped from Buy.com for $19.99.
http://www.buy.com/prod/pinball-hall-of-fame-the-williams-collection/q/loc/108/204693298.html

In my opinion the retail price of $29.99 is very fair though. You get 9 very fun pins and 1 so-so pin (Jive Time.) That comes out to $3.00 a pinball - I'd pay that price any day for pinball tables recreated with this level of quality. Yeah I know this is a Cheap Ass site and I'm as Cheap as the next so I'm not trying to lecture...I just love the game and would like to see the developers supported so they'll release more. :)

Hmm, couldn't find the Wii version on the FYE website. I'll have to check out the store soon to see if I can find it there.

[quote name='t0llenz']Hmm, couldn't find the Wii version on the FYE website. I'll have to check out the store soon to see if I can find it there.[/QUOTE]

Yea its not listed on the website but I did just get it at FYE B&M for $19.99

AFAIK, FYE seems the only B&M where the Wii version is currently available (there aren't many FYEs around this area). I've had the chance to look around various shops/stores and I haven't seen any version of this anywhere. I can wait (especially since this is a budget title), I just hope it doesn't end up being one of those Atlus-esque type games with the super limited runs and sudden inflated prices on Ebay (truthfully, every time a PS2 game gets released nowadays I wonder that).

This one just sounds pretty neat, since I'm a huge Pinball fan. I remember Pinbot being in almost every pizza parlor across the bay area back in the 80's/90's.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I played this for a bit yesterday. I don't see why they really needed to use Nunchuk combo in this. I would have been content with holding the Wiimote classic style. Besides that odd quirk. thought it was pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Wait a 'sec, there's no other option to play except with BOTH wiimote and nunchuk? How does that work then?

Debating if I should get the PSP version and the Wii (for the bigger visuals), but I don't know about that weird set up. Prob with PS2 is worrying if my system conks out and I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon.

The Wii version w/nunchuk / wiimote setup works very well - you use the B / Z buttons to control the flippers, and shake each control to bump the table. Very responsive when playing, maybe a little too much - it's somewhat easy to bump the table by accident, but then again, if you play as aggressively on the real table, it's easy to bump those too.

I am very very impressed by this collection. I've tried out lots of previous video pinball games as demos, and have never been impressed by any of them - mostly because most of 'em use fake tables and scroll around way too much. The physics usually suck on those tables too. Not so with Williams' collection - physics, to me, is dead on accurate, and the tables, well, they really exist in real life! The camera modes work very well too - zooming in when the ball goes up the table so you get a real nice close up view of the table - and the detail is amazing... they did an incredible job getting all the artwork / lights / toys to look super sharp, even when zoomed in.

One thing I want to do when I get a house that has enough room is to buy a pinball table (most likely Party Zone - one of my all time favs). But for now, this collection of 10 tables will be more than enough to satisfy me. :)

[quote name='guyjr']The Wii version w/nunchuk / wiimote setup works very well - you use the B / Z buttons to control the flippers, and shake each control to bump the table. Very responsive when playing, maybe a little too much - it's somewhat easy to bump the table by accident, but then again, if you play as aggressively on the real table, it's easy to bump those too.

I am very very impressed by this collection. I've tried out lots of previous video pinball games as demos, and have never been impressed by any of them - mostly because most of 'em use fake tables and scroll around way too much. The physics usually suck on those tables too. Not so with Williams' collection - physics, to me, is dead on accurate, and the tables, well, they really exist in real life! The camera modes work very well too - zooming in when the ball goes up the table so you get a real nice close up view of the table - and the detail is amazing... they did an incredible job getting all the artwork / lights / toys to look super sharp, even when zoomed in.

One thing I want to do when I get a house that has enough room is to buy a pinball table (most likely Party Zone - one of my all time favs). But for now, this collection of 10 tables will be more than enough to satisfy me. :)[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Best of luck with your future table.

[quote name='guyjr']The Wii version w/nunchuk / wiimote setup works very well - you use the B / Z buttons to control the flippers, and shake each control to bump the table. Very responsive when playing, maybe a little too much - it's somewhat easy to bump the table by accident, but then again, if you play as aggressively on the real table, it's easy to bump those too.

One thing I want to do when I get a house that has enough room is to buy a pinball table (most likely Party Zone - one of my all time favs). But for now, this collection of 10 tables will be more than enough to satisfy me. :)[/QUOTE]

A word of warning...once you get one real pinball machine, you WILL NOT STOP. You get one, you think that's enough. Then you are like, "Well, I really liked THIS machine too...and I have the room." Then you get another. And then another. I started off with just one, a Creature from the Black Lagoon. Now I have that, a Whirlwind, a World Cup Soccer 94. At three, my wife and I decided, "That's enough." Then, somehow like magic, I wound up with a WWF Royal Rumble too!

It's like a disease, I tells ya!

RD

WrestleCrap'sRD;4120484 said:
A word of warning...once you get one real pinball machine, you WILL NOT STOP. You get one, you think that's enough. Then you are like, "Well, I really liked THIS machine too...and I have the room." Then you get another. And then another. I started off with just one, a Creature from the Black Lagoon. Now I have that, a Whirlwind, a World Cup Soccer 94. At three, my wife and I decided, "That's enough." Then, somehow like magic, I wound up with a WWF Royal Rumble too!

It's like a disease, I tells ya!

RD

Sounds like a great "disease"! :) I would LOVE to have about 10-15 pinball and arcade cabinets in a room in my house. I dont have the room nor money though. :(

I tried it, it was fun. I tried to flik the controls it was fun, if you do it too much the machine tilts. I actually got my husband to try and he never tries any wii games. My son enjoyed it, but I don't think he loved it.

bread's done
Back