windows 8 on sale until jan 31 2013

overlordmike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
might have been mentioned b4 but windows 8 is currently on sale for 39.99 on microsofts website reduced from the normal price of 199.99.

i am posting this in the gaming section due to the fact that when playing my mmo games such as wow and tor. i noticed a 80 fps difference than with windows 7. was running 100-120 fps. now running 190-200 fps avrg in tor

[quote name='chickenbutt']Anyone know if I can use my new laptop to get a $15 copy and use that on another comp? I don't want Win 8 on my new laptop, but my parents could use it on their computer.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It does nothing to check that the computer you are putting it on is new. Even says in their FAQ

Do I have to install the Windows 8 upgrade on the eligible PC, or can I install it on another PC?
The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased from June 2nd, 2012 through January 31, 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system.

[quote name='stoned99']Holly crap, I cannot beleive how cheap MS are. I thought by buying the PRO version I would be getting the all important Windows Media Center, and just found out it's not included. What a crock of shit!!!

You can get it for free using this link until Jan, but fuck, I just can't believe it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs[/QUOTE]

the download for WMC is meant for people that have the Pro version. people with standard Windows 8 cannot add WMC. however, there's an option for a standard Windows 8 owner to upgrade to Pro for a small fee. that then gives you access to WMC.

I don't mind it not be included in the ISO. it's going to be updated anyway, replacing any old version that they could've included in the ISO. just like the standard Windows 8 apps like Photo, Mail, Sports, etc. are being updated almost on an every other day basis.

if you guys want a touchscreen monitor for your PC, the Acer T232HL 23-Inch monitor is a good one. 10 point capacitive touch. An IPS panel! Has a USB hub on it too. Got it at Amazon on sale for $450.

before you gasp at the $450 price, it's an IPS panel. and it's capacitive touch.

[quote name='stoned99']Holly crap, I cannot beleive how cheap MS are. I thought by buying the PRO version I would be getting the all important Windows Media Center, and just found out it's not included. What a crock of shit!!!

You can get it for free using this link until Jan, but fuck, I just can't believe it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs[/QUOTE]

Before going on a rant check your facts. Microsoft is doing this for two reasons:

1. To cover their ass in case the morons from the EU want to extort more money out of them with another BS anti-trust probe like they did with IE (point in fact. MS is not the only one that bundles their own browser with the OS, yet is the only one charged for it).
2. Because of raising prices of DVD licensing compared to the reduced number of users for it. If less people are using it, then it makes less sense to include it by default.

Also, Windows 8 is $100 - $200 cheaper than Windows 7. Are you really THAT upset about requiring a $10 DLC pack for a specific feature you want?

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Yes. It does nothing to check that the computer you are putting it on is new. Even says in their FAQ

Do I have to install the Windows 8 upgrade on the eligible PC, or can I install it on another PC?
The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased from June 2nd, 2012 through January 31, 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system.[/QUOTE]

Ah. That's great! Thank you! Will wait til the 9th to buy it. Hopefully I can use my Halo 4 credit on this.

[quote name='DarkPGR']Before going on a rant check your facts. Microsoft is doing this for two reasons:

1. To cover their ass in case the morons from the EU want to extort more money out of them with another BS anti-trust probe like they did with IE (point in fact. MS is not the only one that bundles their own browser with the OS, yet is the only one charged for it).
2. Because of raising prices of DVD licensing compared to the reduced number of users for it. If less people are using it, then it makes less sense to include it by default.

Also, Windows 8 is $100 - $200 cheaper than Windows 7. Are you really THAT upset about requiring a $10 DLC pack for a specific feature you want?[/QUOTE]
Also, you can download free DVD players such as VLC and XMBC.

[quote name='techtonic']Also, you can download free DVD players such as VLC and XMBC.[/QUOTE]

Yup until this release I can't remember the last time I used windows media player to watch anything anyways. I actually don't mind it so much on 8 though until I run into issues I'll keep it as default.

Before you upgrade to Windows 8, know that streaming to your TV or PS3 is extremely glitchy. Making videos almost unbearable. I would like to blame it on my old computer, but Windows 7 did streaming flawlessly to both my TV and my PS3. This includes MP4's and MKV's. If this is not a deal breaker or if you've found a solution to this BS let me know please. Also the folder structure for sharing to both are a POS. It displays every folder shared and I mean every folder, even folders without video in them.

I'm very disappointed in this, other than that I wouldn't have minded the upgrade. But now I wish I could go back until they at least fix it.

Main problem is stutter, constant loading, and dropping signal to my router. None of this happened in Windows 7. I also would blame my router but I have "the dark knight" so I know it's not the router either. This is on 2.4 and 5 N

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Before you upgrade to Windows 8, know that streaming to your TV or PS3 is extremely glitchy. Making videos almost unbearable. I would like to blame it on my old computer, but Windows 7 did streaming flawlessly to both my TV and my PS3. This includes MP4's and MKV's. If this is not a deal breaker or if you've found a solution to this BS let me know please. Also the folder structure for sharing to both are a POS. It displays every folder shared and I mean every folder, even folders without video in them.

I'm very disappointed in this, other than that I wouldn't have minded the upgrade. But now I wish I could go back until they at least fix it.

Main problem is stutter, constant loading, and dropping signal to my router. None of this happened in Windows 7. I also would blame my router but I have "the dark knight" so I know it's not the router either. This is on 2.4 and 5 N[/QUOTE]Those are likely problems with the way your PC is configured, not the OS.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']Those are likely problems with the way your PC is configured, not the OS.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I stream fine from my PC with Windows 8.

My computer is 2yr old and I still got the $15 Deal. Windows 8 isn't that great but a $15 upgrade new support and look its well worth it... Hell its well worth $40.

Bought Win 8 last weekend but haven't updated yet haha. Found the Logitech Touchpad for $60 though so was waiting for that, then decided to get a new desk and stuff too (long story) as well as move the office room to the dining room since we never use it (our table is in the kitchen area which is huge).

Anyway, will definitely be upgrading today FINALLY after I put the desk together and move my pc.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Before you upgrade to Windows 8, know that streaming to your TV or PS3 is extremely glitchy. Making videos almost unbearable. I would like to blame it on my old computer, but Windows 7 did streaming flawlessly to both my TV and my PS3. This includes MP4's and MKV's. If this is not a deal breaker or if you've found a solution to this BS let me know please. Also the folder structure for sharing to both are a POS. It displays every folder shared and I mean every folder, even folders without video in them.

Main problem is stutter, constant loading, and dropping signal to my router. None of this happened in Windows 7. I also would blame my router but I have "the dark knight" so I know it's not the router either. This is on 2.4 and 5 N[/QUOTE]

To be fair streaming to my PS3 has never worked for me. In fact, the PS3 itself has issues with the wireless network and is a considerably slower performer than my 360, which is why I don't use my PS3 as a media center at all (the 360 seems to have a much better support for the feature either way). I haven't tried with Windows 8, but with Windows 7 and Vista, I only ever got my 360 to work fine.

Thanks for the deal. Though I am regretting it a bit now.

Took 4+ tries to install it and on the forth time it finally installed.
Originally I had to install a driver just to get sound. I had no sound.
The desktop locks up here and there and I've had to reset multiple times. By lockup I mean no response for many seconds before I can do anything. This happens A LOT.
Steam likes to crash whenever it pleases.
My Kaspersky internet is working but when I go to scan files it seems to never end.
I'm hoping Guild Wars 2 runs as well as before but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope theres a lot of patches down the road for performance issues.

I'd say the only good part so far is boot up time. It boots insanely fast.

For reference I had 0 issues with Windows 7 in the last year.

Course I could just be a idiot to. After defragging a bit and running CCleaner things have ran a lot better to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased this from Amazon for about $70 that got me a $30 Amazon credit. This is the FULL pro version, not just the upgrade, so I can't speak to that.

Performance is far above what I experienced on Windows 7 Pro. Things are just MUCH snappier and instantaneous. Games run extremely well. The keyboard shortcuts (Windows+Q acts exactly like Launchy or Executor if you ever used those) are killer, I LOVE THEM! It took a little while to get used to it, but honestly, I wouldn't go back now. I have had no blue screens other than when a video card overclocking program (Sapphire Trixx) didn't play well with Windows 8. I got rid of it and used MSI Afterburner, problem solved.

Honestly, I think Microsoft really knocked it out of the park with this one, but it WILL take you a little time to make the change from thinking the Desktop is home, to it being just another workspace that you can occupy while you need it, and leave when you're done. The desktop apps are pretty convenient but the store is a little lacking at this point. I'm still waiting for an official Twitter and Facebook app.

That's my two cents.

80fps difference eh? pass the kool aid and go read a decent comparison with 10 games and you'll see there is negligible difference in game performance between windows 7 and 8. sure the interface is probably snappier but gaming performance is another animal.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331.html

also to the human eye I don't think there is any difference between 100 and 200 fps anyway. there is a hell of a difference between 30 and 60 but after 60 the returns are diminishing to imperceptible.

[quote name='overlordmike']might have been mentioned b4 but windows 8 is currently on sale for 39.99 on microsofts website reduced from the normal price of 199.99.

i am posting this in the gaming section due to the fact that when playing my mmo games such as wow and tor. i noticed a 80 fps difference than with windows 7. was running 100-120 fps. now running 190-200 fps avrg in tor[/QUOTE]

The OS is a little unstable, I've had about 3 blue screens, versus almost none on 7.
However, the start up is so much faster, and the OS is speedier as a whole.
How could anyone think the new Start Menu is worse than the old one? The old one was just a list, the new one is a whole new desktop full of whatever you want. The list is still there actually, just mouse over the Start and right click.

[quote name='Microshock']The OS is a little unstable, I've had about 3 blue screens, versus almost none on 7.
However, the start up is so much faster, and the OS is speedier as a whole.
How could anyone think the new Start Menu is worse than the old one? The old one was just a list, the new one is a whole new desktop full of whatever you want. The list is still there actually, just mouse over the Start and right click.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm in the other camp. The main reason I upgraded from Windows 7 is that something was causing my system to occasionally blue screen. At other times the video would cut out and it'd be a blank screen until the system rebooted. Even after doing a clean install of Windows 7 these problems persisted. Fortunately installing Windows 8 seemed to resolve things. I haven't had a single crash yet. There are so many different possible system configurations that Windows 7 vs Windows 8 can be a YMMV experience for each person.

Based on what I've read Windows 8 sort of "cheats" on how it handles the startup process. I guess when you choose to shut down your computer Windows 8 actually puts your system in hibernation mode instead of actually turning it off in order to start things up again quickly. But yeah Windows 8 performance is pretty nice.

My main issue with metro is rather than the Start menu being a compact list of options it's now a full screen interface. There's a lot of wasted space on a 1080p desktop monitor. The customization of the Start screen leaves a lot to be desired. You can only have groups that are two columns wide, you can't vertically stack one short group on top of another short group, and you have at most one or two options for resizing the tiles. Metro isn't anywhere near as terrible as some have made it out to be, but it does have some rough edges that will hopefully be addressed in SP1 or Windows 9.

bread's done
Back