windows 8 on sale until jan 31 2013

overlordmike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
might have been mentioned b4 but windows 8 is currently on sale for 39.99 on microsofts website reduced from the normal price of 199.99.

i am posting this in the gaming section due to the fact that when playing my mmo games such as wow and tor. i noticed a 80 fps difference than with windows 7. was running 100-120 fps. now running 190-200 fps avrg in tor

[quote name='Greyghost']I have a question on the Windows 8 app store. Since you can also use the apps on there on a PC that has no touch interface are the games they are selling also enabled for keyboard and mouse and possibly controller even?

I mean, if you get Toy Soldiers from the Windows 8 store is it basically just the same as the PC Toy Soliders but with touch optionally enabled?

Is it possible to think of the Windows 8 store in terms of PC gaming as a new and improved Games For Windows Live Store?[/QUOTE]

i downloaded a few games such as cut the rope and jetpack for free, and they were all optimized to include keyboard/mouse functionality

[quote name='overlordmike']in my opinion they will raise the price. considering all previous os at launch were 70$ to upgrade to the newest os's basic edition, ranging all the way up to 320 for windows ultimate[/QUOTE]

Yes, Microsoft typically has an introductory upgrade cost with its OSes. The discount on this one is a bit more steep (typically $99 for upgrade -- at least at the beginning of Win 7) because they want those hesitant on the new UI to be able to give it a whirl.

[quote name='overlordmike']i downloaded a few games such as cut the rope and jetpack for free, and they were all optimized to include keyboard/mouse functionality[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks that is good to know. I figured it would be the case but I was just curious since the Windows 8 store is obviously mobile centric in style and presentation.

[quote name='Tumbler360']Is the windows 8 interface that we keep seeing optional? Can you turn that off and it runs like windows 7?[/QUOTE]

The desktop is still there. My screen looks exactly the same now as it did yesterday running Win7, but without the start menu. You can download an app from stardock to replicate the start menu if you want, but I don't think it's necessary.

Had trouble with X-Com crashing even after uninstall and reinstall. Also had a bit of stuttering in Walking Dead game. Decided to do the reset and see if that helps. If not I'm just going to hold off installing it on any of my other computer.

It did make my old xp netbook run a lot better. I put the free trial on it just to see what it would run like and was very surprised. I don't play any games but plants vs zombies and pre2000 stuff on it though.

[quote name='Tumbler360']Is the windows 8 interface that we keep seeing optional? Can you turn that off and it runs like windows 7?[/QUOTE]

As louiedog mentioned, there's apps that replicate the traditional Start menu. There's also apps that jump right into the desktop once you boot up your machine. Once you get use to the workflow of Windows 8 you can jump in and out of the Metro interface in a second or two and be right back at the desktop before you know it. Microsoft doesn't provide an option to completely disable Metro though.

Those tiles just look like a pain in the ass imo. Maybe they make more sense on a tablet, but I don't have a touchscreen desktop, nor do I want one. My posture is bad enough without leaning forward to touch the screen all the time. I saw that you can get to a "normal" desktop and was excited...then realized I have a normal desktop now.

I had posted that this was $38.88 at Microcenter stores the other day in the PC section. I was able to have my BB price match. Holding off on installing this though for a few weeks

Rocket Riot in the Metro Microsoft Store has Xbox Live achievements, has a demo, and works with an Xbox controller.

There is also a demo for Toy Soldiers, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope, and Jetpack Joyride.
I wish there was a demo for Angry Birds Space though.

You can't do a clean install with the $15 Win 7 Pro upgrade ISO can you? Just asking because if I remember correctly you could with Win 7.

Curious on everyone's opinion...

nVidia has a WQHL driver from earlier this month and a beta driver from last week. Which would be best for a new Win8 fresh install?

[quote name='Romeo']Curious on everyone's opinion...

[/QUOTE]

I honestly would not go back to using Windows 7.

After the using the Preview and now installing the full version, I can say that I very well enjoy the Metro menu and the app/store.

I guess I'm one of the few desktop owners that trully enjoys metro.

[quote name='ral1121']I honestly would not go back to using Windows 7.

After the using the Preview and now installing the full version, I can say that I very well enjoy the Metro menu and the app/store.

I guess I'm one of the few desktop owners that trully enjoys metro.[/QUOTE]

I can agree... but I was asking about Win8 drivers... ;)

[quote name='Romeo']Curious on everyone's opinion...

nVidia has a WQHL driver from earlier this month and a beta driver from last week. Which would be best for a new Win8 fresh install?[/QUOTE]

I would stick with the WQHL driver and avoid the beta driver. It may have been a fluke, but I installed the beta driver last night on my fresh copy of Windows 8 and restarted. For whatever reason the driver update completely broke Windows 8 and none of the repair options were able to restore it back to working condition. I had to reinstall Windows 8 a second time. I choose the WQHL driver and everything has been fine. Again, this may have been a fluke but I have never had anything like this happen with Windows 7.

[quote name='killer9']Where is windows.old i cannot find it any where[/QUOTE]It's placed in the base C:\ directory.

This is really tempting. I recently put together a new gaming/HT PC for couch use. I use a separate computer for day-to-day browsing. This actually seems like a good use for the OS. Anyone try it for that function? Can you navigate using a 360 controller?

Also, do you have to uninstall/re-install your games. I hate the Batman games on it, and I know the DRM stuff is a pain. I 'd want to be sure to revoke the license before upgrading if I'd lose an activation.

[quote name='oasisboy']Don't like it? Don't buy it and STFU. I hate Apple but don't diss them. Live and let die.[/QUOTE]

Its a message board, so...nah.

[quote name='Blaster man']OMFG, Firefox doesn't work with Windows 8, Chrome works but not great, and IE won't even fucking work. IE crashes every time I try to use it. WTF[/QUOTE]

Firefox is working for me.

[quote name='Blaster man']OMFG, Firefox doesn't work with Windows 8, Chrome works but not great, and IE won't even fucking work. IE crashes every time I try to use it. WTF[/QUOTE]

Um, what? I think that's the user. I'm using Firefox right this second, and have been even in Release Preview.

Hey I just bought a Thinkpad about a month ago - literally took a month to get to me - would I be able to qualify for a free upgrade to Win 8 or am I just getting shafted if it wasnt explicitly stated?

[quote name='elessar123']Um, what? I think that's the user. I'm using Firefox right this second, and have been even in Release Preview.[/QUOTE]

I did the upgrade from 7. Neither Firefox nor IE work.

[quote name='Blaster man']This has got to be the worst experience ever. I'm tempted to call them and tell them to deactivate my product key and refund my money. Would they do that? IE crashes. I installed a fresh copy of FireFox, opened it and it crashed. Even goddamn paint crashed when I was trying to copy/paste images of the crashes into it.

http://s9.postimage.org/od3jz2xpb/crashes.png[/QUOTE]
HAve you tried updating Windwows, IE, and Firefox?

[quote name='ral1121']HAve you tried updating Windwows, IE, and Firefox?[/QUOTE]

I went to Windows update and updated it....Firefox was a new install...

If you've run out of all other options you may want to try going to Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Refresh Your PC.

[quote name='Thrinn']If you've run out of all other options you may want to try going to Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Refresh Your PC.[/QUOTE]

I'm not paying them money for something that's defective. I'm going to call them and try to get my money back. This is fucking bullshit. Obviously they rushed this out the door.

Damn so I did the reset your PC to see if it will fix my problems. It said it would take a long time but judging by the almost 4 hours to get to 33% then it will be another 8 until it is finished.

[quote name='crupp']Huge thanks, OP. This worked like a charm for me. Windows 8 is actually pretty slick...[/QUOTE]

It was fast. I liked it. Too bad it was crapping out on me so much.

Anyone experiencing a problem with netflix on chrome? After pausing, video disappears and there is a black screen inside a browser. I have to refresh the browser to resume the movie.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Anyone experiencing a problem with netflix on chrome? After pausing, video disappears and there is a black screen inside a browser. I have to refresh the browser to resume the movie.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is ready for prime time. It seems like they rushed it out the door so they could put it on their tablets to compete with the iPad.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't think this is ready for prime time. It seems like they rushed it out the door so they could put it on their tablets to compete with the iPad.[/QUOTE]

If you use the actual Chrome program via the Desktop, it should be fine as long as Silverlight is up to date.

Launching Chrome from the Start Menu and trying to use it for Netflix will tell you that you should download the Netflix Win 8 App to use it. Haven't had a problem with the app either.

I'm sure you guys are tired of me bitching. An FYI, the customer service is easy to deal with. You have to agree to a destruction agreement via the web after the call. Now in sitting here reinstalling windows 7.

I've been a happy Windows user for about 20 years. Unless something changes my mind, my next computer will be a Mac. Never owned one before. They cost too much but at least it would be functional for me. This really soured me towards Windows (as you can no doubt tell).

Wow you guys really should have tried using the Free Oracle Virtual PC software and installed Windows 8 as a VM before you decided to upgrade.

You could have simply installed your vista or 7 as a VM, then run the upgrade for Windows 8 and see how things worked out.

I don't to any OS upgrades until I have been able to use a VM for a while (at least a couple of months).

Luckily I had the RTM of Windows 8 since August 15th and I was able to even work with some of my hardware vendors (since I custom build all my PC's) and gave them a LOT of feedback on hardware driver issues and I'm glad I spent the time to do so.

Also when you upgrade you have the choice to run OS's in dual boot mode so you wouldn't have had to wipe out Windows 7 or Vista.

I still run my system that way - I like to go back to Windows 7 if I can't get an application to work yet in Windows 8.

Btw, not sure why that user was having IE 10 or Firefox issues but I bet it was a problem with his hard drive. I looked at those screenshots and it's hard to tell but some of those error codes indicate problem with hard drive sectors.

Oh and for gamers out there

I have both the steam and EA Origin client running just fine in Windows 8.

I also have a ton of PC games I just run them from a separate hard drive so both Windows 7 and Windows 8 can run them without having to reinstall in Windows 8.

I really like some games have huge FPS improvements with the exact same driver versions in Windows 7 and Windows 8. They really did do some huge optimization of graphics core to CPU core dynamic runtime thread assignments. Good job to them.

I really like the security features of Windows 8 - like how it doesn't use BIOS anymore and it has secure copy - so all OS files - DLL's, EXE's and other files are kept in a vault and if any are tampered / replaced / deleted - the OS will ask the user to reboot and all files are restored to the proper version. Huge built in Anti virus defense.

[quote name='s0undwav3']Wow you guys really should have tried using the Free Oracle Virtual PC software and installed Windows 8 as a VM before you decided to upgrade.

You could have simply installed your vista or 7 as a VM, then run the upgrade for Windows 8 and see how things worked out.

I don't to any OS upgrades until I have been able to use a VM for a while (at least a couple of months).

Luckily I had the RTM of Windows 8 since August 15th and I was able to even work with some of my hardware vendors (since I custom build all my PC's) and gave them a LOT of feedback on hardware driver issues and I'm glad I spent the time to do so.

Also when you upgrade you have the choice to run OS's in dual boot mode so you wouldn't have had to wipe out Windows 7 or Vista.

I still run my system that way - I like to go back to Windows 7 if I can't get an application to work yet in Windows 8.

Btw, not sure why that user was having IE 10 or Firefox issues but I bet it was a problem with his hard drive. I looked at those screenshots and it's hard to tell but some of those error codes indicate problem with hard drive sectors.[/QUOTE]

I have a SSD.

[quote name='s0undwav3']Oh and for gamers out there

I have both the steam and EA Origin client running just fine in Windows 8.

I also have a ton of PC games I just run them from a separate hard drive so both Windows 7 and Windows 8 can run them without having to reinstall in Windows 8.

I really like some games have huge FPS improvements with the exact same driver versions in Windows 7 and Windows 8. They really did do some huge optimization of graphics core to CPU core dynamic runtime thread assignments. Good job to them.

I really like the security features of Windows 8 - like how it doesn't use BIOS anymore and it has secure copy - so all OS files - DLL's, EXE's and other files are kept in a vault and if any are tampered / replaced / deleted - the OS will ask the user to reboot and all files are restored to the proper version. Huge built in Anti virus defense.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? It's just a new UI!
- a ton of uninformed people on the internet

[quote name='s0undwav3']
[/QUOTE]
It mostly has to do with replacing the aero glass UI with the Metro UI. Microsoft needed something that was not graphics intensive so the OS could run smoothly for tablets. The Metro UI is mostly just squares and solid colors unlike aero glass which had more transparency effects that needed hardware acceleration.

[quote name='s0undwav3']Wow you guys really should have tried using the Free Oracle Virtual PC software and installed Windows 8 as a VM before you decided to upgrade.

Btw, not sure why that user was having IE 10 or Firefox issues but I bet it was a problem with his hard drive. I looked at those screenshots and it's hard to tell but some of those error codes indicate problem with hard drive sectors.[/QUOTE]

How does dual boot work? Will I get to keep all my vista apps?

bread's done
Back