windows 8 on sale until jan 31 2013

overlordmike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
might have been mentioned b4 but windows 8 is currently on sale for 39.99 on microsofts website reduced from the normal price of 199.99.

i am posting this in the gaming section due to the fact that when playing my mmo games such as wow and tor. i noticed a 80 fps difference than with windows 7. was running 100-120 fps. now running 190-200 fps avrg in tor

[quote name='DarkZero104']Just go to newegg, grab a computer's model number and maker, use that and put it after June 2nd. Magically you'll get a promo code in your inbox.[/QUOTE]
Nope :/. Tried it w/ a new Sony laptop as well as a new HP desktop. Both didn't work. It asked for me key, refused to let me enter an invalid key, and when I entered my current computer's key, it just told me I was illegible. I told it the right manufacturer, model, and that I bought it from "Newegg". :/

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']So do you need a Windows 7 PC for this to work?

I have one that is Windows 7 and eligible for a free upgrade through staples.

But I also have an older laptop running Windows Vista, could I upgrade it using this offer?[/QUOTE]

Should be able to, BUT! BUT! It wouldn't carry over "Installed programs" (Registry settings and such) and would just keep the actual files. Going from 7 to 8 was super easy and had very little in the way of compatibility issues thus far, going from Vista to 8 apparently (Haven't done it myself yet) will only keep your files themselves.

You can also apparently use this "Upgrade edition" to do a clean install from a format, just requires a minor bit of fiddling. Here's the tutorial I saw:

So here's what to do if you bought an upgrade copy and want a clean install.
install W8 on clean drive(Use whatever method.)
once it's installed open regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
Modify MediaBootInstall to be 0
run Command Prompt and type
slmgr /rearm
reboot
run activation utilty and use key if you haven't already
That's it.

Also, make sure you don't have a drive with W7 plugged in when you install, as it will detect it, and install its shitty bootloader on it, and generally be retarded.
I get the impression you can boot from the burnt .iso you get from this upgrade program and install Win 8 from scratch, but after a while when it tries to phone home and activate with Microsoft it'll throw a fit since it wasn't upgraded from a previous Windows install and this goes around it.
All of this is theoretical in my case though since I only upgraded from 7 to 8.

Also, metro UI is dumb!
I miss gadgets!
This task manager is pretty cool!

Just tried and it worked fine for me. Got the code at least. Looks like they want you to download the upgrade assistant in order to complete the transaction. Not sure if they will look at your windows key at that point and throw up red flags or not. But so far not money has changed hands on my part so I am ok with it. Will probably sit on the key for a bit until the dust settles on 8. I am not 100% convinced that I need to upgrade at all but at least I have a cheap option.

Thanks OP.

Finally got it to work w/o it asking for a key.
I used my real name, a different email than what I had used before, and probably the most important thing - a different browser.

[quote name='mentalward']Just tried and it worked fine for me. Got the code at least. Looks like they want you to download the upgrade assistant in order to complete the transaction. Not sure if they will look at your windows key at that point and throw up red flags or not. But so far not money has changed hands on my part so I am ok with it. Will probably sit on the key for a bit until the dust settles on 8. I am not 100% convinced that I need to upgrade at all but at least I have a cheap option.

Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't. The only time it may ask for a valid Windows 7 key (Which you clearly have and are just unwilling to pick up and look at!) is getting the coupon code. The Windows Upgrade program (Where you actually buy and download Windows 8) doesn't give a shit.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']It shouldn't. The only time it may ask for a valid Windows 7 key (Which you clearly have and are just unwilling to pick up and look at!) is getting the coupon code. The Windows Upgrade program (Where you actually buy and download Windows 8) doesn't give a shit.[/QUOTE]

So does this mean I wouldn't need a previous version of Windows to install this?

I'm currently just using Windows 8 Preview and don't have anything prior.

[quote name='ral1121']So does this mean I wouldn't need a previous version of Windows to install this?

I'm currently just using Windows 8 Preview and don't have anything prior.[/QUOTE]

It's my understanding that's the case. You'd need a computer (Running Windows of some flavor) to buy and download it through the Windows Upgrade program, then you could tell it to spit out an .iso for you to burn or whatever's needed for a bootable USB stick, then use either of those to install it from scratch on your target computer.

If you're just looking to upgrade Windows 8 Preview to Win8 Pro I have no idea if Windows Upgrade would let do that automatically or not. I'd definitely try it though, be way less of a pain in the ass. The program should be able to tell you what your options are once you buy it and download it.

[quote name='trogoldito']Thanks. Just picked up Win 8 for $15 for my HP TM2 tablet (which I bought almost 2 years ago lol). Not sure if I want it on my desktop yet. How long until this deal expires?[/QUOTE]

At what point does it ask for payment? I registered and got the promo code in my email. Don't plan to activate yet though, plus I prefer to do a clean install.

[quote name='Romeo']At what point does it ask for payment? I registered and got the promo code in my email. Don't plan to activate yet though, plus I prefer to do a clean install.[/QUOTE]

You run the Upgrade Assistant and it checks your system. Then you purchase and get your serial. Then it starts downloading. You can stop the download and get it at a later time via a link in the email. I'm not sure if they provide an .iso anywhere for an easy clean install.

edit: It appears that at the end of the download you're given the option of creating an .iso. Handy! I know they also have a tool available for download that will put it on a stick and make it bootable, but I don't have a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep got my promo code, i just used a Fake online found recent model pc and a July purchase date, got my code on email to purchase for 15 dollars plus tax, now i just need a pc to install it xD

Couple of facts for those on the fence about upgrading that are being left out:

* The upgrade agent/windows 8 will never ask for your windows 7 key. So you could install this upgrade on a pirated version of Win 7, Vista, Win 8 Preview, or XP.

* Only Win 7 lets you transport your installed applications (therefore if you upgrade from 7 you'll have to do damn near nothing to get things running again), but it's easy enough to get stuff that doesn't install-transfer working again without re-downloading of big applications if you aren't on 7. I was on the Win 8 preview, personally. For Steam/Origin/Games for Windows Live stuff, all I had to do was boot it up and it repaired its own install without needing to redownload games. Non-cloud saves are lost unless you go through the painstaking effort to digging them out & replacing them, but it can be done (I dug through my roaming folder in appdata).

* If you don't like the start screen, you can install the classic shell (there's a sourceforge project). However, if you give it a chance, you will probably like it as a replacement for the start menu. Those who are complaining about how windows boots up in it... Press the Windows Key + D -- tada. And you'll still hit your desktop faster than with 7.

* And for the most important thing of all: the Microsoft Store is amazing. The real reason Valve was upset about Win 8 isn't because it sucks, it's upset at the competition that it will offer. Steam is still better for mainstream gaming, but the Windows Store offers what most people currently get out of their smartphone's store: cheap, easily accessible applications that install/uninstall in a single click (a lot of which are free or ad-supported). I'll probably buy a lot less Steam games now... Collecting them seems futile when you can literally get a damn near infinite amount of apps whenever you want from Microsoft's store.

For $15 bucks you'd be crazy not to buy Win 8. It makes me PC feel like there's a whole new side to it that reminds me of the joy I felt when I first got a smartphone. Opening yourself up to a whole new suite of software feels a lot like getting new hardware. In short, the pros:

* The new store means lots of new, cheap (and free) software.
* Win 8 is faster to load up and shut down than Win 7.
* The system itself takes less resources, even compared to Win 7.
* You probably won't run into driver issues.
* You probably won't run into software compatibility issues.
* Metro is easily avoided if you don't like it -- and you might like it if you make an effort to (a lot of the people who don't show the fact that they didn't even try by stating factually incorrect things).

Why does the resolution seem a lot worse in Windows 8. In Vista and Windows 7 my screen looked sharp and crisp but in Windows 8 it looks blurry and clunky using the same resolution (1280 x 1024)??

[quote name='Das_Regal']Couple of facts for those on the fence about upgrading that are being left out:

* The upgrade agent/windows 8 will never ask for your windows 7 key. So you could install this upgrade on a pirated version of Win 7, Vista, Win 8 Preview, or XP.

* Only Win 7 lets you transport your installed applications (therefore if you upgrade from 7 you'll have to do damn near nothing to get things running again), but it's easy enough to get stuff that doesn't install-transfer working again without re-downloading of big applications if you aren't on 7. I was on the Win 8 preview, personally. For Steam/Origin/Games for Windows Live stuff, all I had to do was boot it up and it repaired its own install without needing to redownload games. Non-cloud saves are lost unless you go through the painstaking effort to digging them out & replacing them, but it can be done (I dug through my roaming folder in appdata).

* If you don't like the start screen, you can install the classic shell (there's a sourceforge project). However, if you give it a chance, you will probably like it as a replacement for the start menu. Those who are complaining about how windows boots up in it... Press the Windows Key + D -- tada. And you'll still hit your desktop faster than with 7.

* And for the most important thing of all: the Microsoft Store is amazing. The real reason Valve was upset about Win 8 isn't because it sucks, it's upset at the competition that it will offer. Steam is still better for mainstream gaming, but the Windows Store offers what most people currently get out of their smartphone's store: cheap, easily accessible applications that install/uninstall in a single click (a lot of which are free or ad-supported). I'll probably buy a lot less Steam games now... Collecting them seems futile when you can literally get a damn near infinite amount of apps whenever you want from Microsoft's store.

For $15 bucks you'd be crazy not to buy Win 8. It makes me PC feel like there's a whole new side to it that reminds me of the joy I felt when I first got a smartphone. Opening yourself up to a whole new suite of software feels a lot like getting new hardware. In short, the pros:

* The new store means lots of new, cheap (and free) software.
* Win 8 is faster to load up and shut down than Win 7.
* The system itself takes less resources, even compared to Win 7.
* You probably won't run into driver issues.
* You probably won't run into software compatibility issues.
* Metro is easily avoided if you don't like it -- and you might like it if you make an effort to (a lot of the people who don't show the fact that they didn't even try by stating factually incorrect things).[/QUOTE]

Is there any sort of guide to follow on how to do the installation for people with only Windows 8 Preview and nothing else?

I really want to do this since I don't have a prior OS.

[quote name='TimesTicking']oh, not a bad price for Win8, I still got Vista on my computer, I wonder if I should upgrade.[/QUOTE]

definitely if u got vista lol...cant stand vista!!

Did this thing yesterday morning. Here's everything I experienced:

- I used a legit upgrade promo, then got a second one using Newegg as the retailer, and model "other". Haven't bought a second copy yet.
- Paid with Paypal in the upgrade assistant.
- Upgraded fine even though I was running Release Preview.
- Downloaded the installer to Desktop, burned an ISO as backup, and installed from the Desktop copy.
- It wrote over my grub bootloader right away, but that's an easy fix after it installed.
- It installed my printer automatically, but the driver didn't work until I manually added printer.

I'm not a fan of Metro though, nor not having a Start Button. The app list in Metro is just too crowded, because it lists everything, instead of being sorted in folders like the Start Menu would have.

Some apps are nice. I tried the ebay app, for example, which shows a lot of info on one page. The ebay app specifically didn't have show completed listings, which I thought was weird.

Most hated thing so far is the music app being full screen instead of the size of a live tile.

If you enable a lot of live tiles, it's really distracting. With a couple, it's nice.

I just have one question: Will all my movies, videos, photos, and documents automatically be saved and transferred to Windows 8? Also my MS Office programs? Are all my programs (Malwarebytes, Evernote, Firefox, etc.) going to be transferred over in the same condition?

[quote name='elessar123']Did this thing yesterday morning. Here's everything I experienced:

- I used a legit upgrade promo, then got a second one using Newegg as the retailer, and model "other". Haven't bought a second copy yet.
- Paid with Paypal in the upgrade assistant.
- Upgraded fine even though I was running Release Preview.
- Downloaded the installer to Desktop, burned an ISO as backup, and installed from the Desktop copy.
- It wrote over my grub bootloader right away, but that's an easy fix after it installed.
- It installed my printer automatically, but the driver didn't work until I manually added printer.

I'm not a fan of Metro though, nor not having a Start Button. The app list in Metro is just too crowded, because it lists everything, instead of being sorted in folders like the Start Menu would have.

Some apps are nice. I tried the ebay app, for example, which shows a lot of info on one page. The ebay app specifically didn't have show completed listings, which I thought was weird.

Most hated thing so far is the music app being full screen instead of the size of a live tile.

If you enable a lot of live tiles, it's really distracting. With a couple, it's nice.[/QUOTE]

Do you use the installation with the program, or will you have to create a bootable USB drive in order to continue?

Thanks for posting this OP, but I ended up buying the boxed CD upgrade from amazon instead due to me currently running XP 32-bit and the upgrade from MS website would automatically upgrade me to Windows 8 32-bit because of it. Apparently it auto-detects which kind of OS you're using and keeps it at 32 or 64. Probably not a problem for most people already running 64-bit, but I want to go change from 32 so this wasn't an option. Luckily, the boxed CD I bought was 68.88 from amazon plus a $30 promo credit (deal ended yesterday).

I'm going to attempt a clean install but I've never upgraded an OS before and it's a very intimidating affair. I don't know much about the specifics of computers. I'm not too worried about having to reinstall all of my programs, my worry is personal data, saved games, and things of that sort. I've used an external HD to copy over My Documents, but I can't help but worry that I'll lose some other important data that I'm not aware of.

I'll see you guys on the other side.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot. It saved the previous install of Windows in a folder called Windows.old, so backing up may not be necessary. I had already backed everything up, so it was a moot point for me.

[quote name='ral1121']Do you use the installation with the program, or will you have to create a bootable USB drive in order to continue?[/QUOTE]

I did not have to make a bootable USB drive. It installed directly from the downloaded program.

[quote name='willywonka159']I just have one question: Will all my movies, videos, photos, and documents automatically be saved and transferred to Windows 8? Also my MS Office programs? Are all my programs (Malwarebytes, Evernote, Firefox, etc.) going to be transferred over in the same condition?[/QUOTE]

I -think- it does if you're upgrading from Windows 7, and don't choose fresh install. I'm not sure, as I wanted a fresh install.

[quote name='elessar123']I did not have to make a bootable USB drive. It installed directly from the downloaded program.[/QUOTE]

That's what I don't want to happen. I always prefer to do a clean install over an upgrade.

[quote name='Romeo']That's what I don't want to happen. I always prefer to do a clean install over an upgrade.[/QUOTE]

It does do a clean install. It moves all your old files to WIndows.old, and you have to reinstall programs.

I was not planning on getting Windows 8 at all... But for $14.99... I had to give it a try. And you know what? It made me a believer. I think Microsoft is heading in the right direction in terms of UI. Took me a couple minutes to adjust but once you do... wow! This things has a lot of potential. Makes me wonder if I will ever completely convert back to PC from Mac and Iphone...

BF3 did seem smoother... but I didn't bring up the stats during a quick game session.

Anyways, I say go for it. If anything, just get the code and save it for later.

I really like File Explorer.
Hit the the carrot in the top right corner to bring on the full menu ribbon.

There is a popular and simple addon to bring back your start menu.
It features full customization and can boot you directly to the desktop.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp

8.png

[quote name='bullsrfive']Why does the resolution seem a lot worse in Windows 8. In Vista and Windows 7 my screen looked sharp and crisp but in Windows 8 it looks blurry and clunky using the same resolution (1280 x 1024)??[/QUOTE]

Windows 8 requires no additional drivers or utilities to be installed.
However, you should still download and install the latest AMD/Nvidea drivers for your graphics card.
Also do a Windows Update to see if it helps.

question about the $15 "upgrade" is the code for discount to order online or some product key download? I personally prefer having the actual cd and box so may go with the $40 sale

[quote name='Gamer SDP']question about the $15 "upgrade" is the code for discount to order online or some product key download? I personally prefer having the actual cd and box so may go with the $40 sale[/QUOTE]

The DVD in a box is $70.
When you do the $15 upgrade and download the .iso, burn it to a DVD.
You can also do the $15 upgrade and there is always an option to buy a $15 DVD shipped to home.

I'm a Mac user but I installed Win 8 via bootcamp to check it out. It's alright. I'll probably only boot into Win 8 for games with achievements. I was a huge fan of Jetpack Joyride on iPhone and they got that on the store for free on W8.

Here's a question I always had with Windows Upgrade Keys, I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - bit right now, and (I know this was already kind of mentioned before but just needed some clarification) and I upgrade to either Professional, Ultimate or Windows 8 and decide I don't like the Upgraded version, is the key for my original Windows Home Premium still valid for use in case I want to downgrade back to it ? (Barring the fact I'm only installing it on ONE computer and trying to short change Microsoft or something).

update- have had windows 8 for aprox 12 hours so far and so far so good. no bugs yet, and major fps increase in games compared to windows 7 (like i stated in the op). really nice for people who like to keep in touch with friends on facebook as well. since all your msgs pop up on the main screen for both email, and facebook when u get em.

also would like to say that it is defiantly working with steam. out of my 500+ game collection the only game that has issues is bioshock 2. which is getting updated within the next few weeks from what i hear.

they also bundles microsoft security essentials already preinstalled but instead of it being called that they added more features to windows defender (which now looks exactly like microsoft se did)

overall great experience so far will keep you updated on any bugs i come across.

So if we have (or will fake) a compatible Windows 8 PC, we can then install on a Vista machine. I have one of each but would not want to mess with my Windows 7 laptop much.

Windows 8 is made for a touch screen, takes a lot of getting use to coming from windows 7. It is faster however, as in boot/restart. Metro is a fucking headache, but I can get use to it. Some of the apps, like skype are not as good as skype for windows 7, seems like it is skype for xbox 360, no features or settings you can change. Also it seemed that when I installed windows 8 to my laptop, I lost a lot of features like my mic volume, maybe a firmware or whatever issue? Incompatible programs as of now, which is hard to teach to someone that is new or use to windows 8 whats going on.

$15 is worth it, I was gonna pay the $70 - $30 giftcard on amazon!

I really wanted to get W8 for $15 but it always asks me for a product key... ): I guess it does not work anymore :cry: If I enter my current PC Windows 7 product key, Will it work? Maybe? I will try tomorrow :/

Bought it first thing Saturday morning from Office Depot for $69.99. Put it on a Dell All-In-One touchscreen and it is incredible! Was apprehensive b/c my 6 yo uses the computer every day, but he was swiping the thing like it was second-nature. Had to spend $5 on Cut-the-Rope b/c while it was free, you can't unlock more levels unless you pay.

The only thing I don't like is the live tiles for say, mail, people and calendar are tied to one e-mail account. Troublesome for using with my wife and I. Now, I know you can create different login profiles, but I haven't created multiple login profiles since Windows 98, never liked doing it, and in the back of my mind, I think it bogs the system down and wastes space. So I'm thinking about getting rid of those tiles all together. Thank god when you log into one tile, it doesn't force it across all of them. I just have my e-mail linked to the store and gaming areas.

[quote name='ral1121']Do you have to reinstall your programs or are you good if they are compatible?[/QUOTE]

The default install method looks like it installs Windows 8 without tampering with your existing programs.

is there a site that lists all the games with achievements yet? I didn't see a section on 'ol faithful xbox360acheivements.org..

[quote name='Blaster man']How does this deal with a future reinstall?[/QUOTE]

A future reinstall of Windows 8? There's now a reinstall feature built directly into the OS. You jump through a few menus, push a button, and Windows 8 resets itself to a factory default state.

[quote name='Thrinn']A future reinstall of Windows 8? There's now a reinstall feature built directly into the OS. You jump through a few menus, push a button, and Windows 8 resets itself to a factory default state.[/QUOTE]

What if the HDD crashes and I replace it? How do I get Windows 8 back?

[quote name='Blaster man']What if the HDD crashes and I replace it? How do I get Windows 8 back?[/QUOTE]

I know there was a loophole where you get install an upgrade copy of Windows XP & Windows 7 on a blank HDD. AFAIK that is no longer the case with the Windows 8 update disc. You'd probably need to reinstall XP/7 then pop the Windows 8 disc in after that.

bread's done
Back