Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

I ended up buying Pac-Man. That game is frickin hard as hell. I think the XBLA version let you start a new game at the highest level you had reached. The same isn't true in this version. I don't see myself unlocking half the achievements in this game.

I've started playing Harbor Master again. I've got all but 3 achievements now. Getting 500 cargo delivered in one game is going to be very hard. The best I've done is 242. I haven't even done 10,000 cargo total. That 50,000 cargo achievement is just plain dumb.

geoDefense is this weeks game. I played the trial and liked it enough for $3.

I was looking through the games to see if I could spot the deal of the week. I noticed a game called Glyder was $1.99. That seems like the price of a deal of the week. I hate all forms of flying games. So, I probably won't be picking this up. I did download the trial and will at least try it.

Now I will find out the game has always been $1.99 and some other game is the deal. :)

Played a bunch of geoDefense today. Managed to beat all the easy levels without dying. Had to replay a couple of them quite a few times to get it done. I have a feeling I won't be able to manage not dying in all the medium and hard levels. Unfortunately they have a lot of achievement points tied into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pokedex Mobile now has a free version for those of you who play! The app has also dropped from $2.99 to $1.99.

(I'm the developer btw :) If you have any comments, feel free to PM me!)

I won't be buying any games this week. Looks like the airplane flying game is the deal of the week. I remember playing the demo a while ago and hating it. Sonic 4 is the new release this week. Definitely not buying that. Especially at the price they want for it.

Hey guys, I didn't see a FAQ on the first two posts so forgive me if this has been covered.

Are WP7 games able to be purchased with MS points? A quick search indicates no, and if that is the case does anyone know if there are plans to make that possible?

[quote name='ZForce915']Hey guys, I didn't see a FAQ on the first two posts so forgive me if this has been covered.

Are WP7 games able to be purchased with MS points? A quick search indicates no, and if that is the case does anyone know if there are plans to make that possible?[/QUOTE]

They might allow it in the future, but not now. You pay either with credit card or by adding purchases to your cell phone bill.

[quote name='eastx']They might allow it in the future, but not now. You pay either with credit card or by adding purchases to your cell phone bill.[/QUOTE]

How do you get setup to have your purchases charged to your cell phone bill? All my purchases on my previous phones were that way, but when buying XBL games on my WP7 from verizon it charges the cc attached to my live account. Would prefer to have everything show up on my bill.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']How do you get setup to have your purchases charged to your cell phone bill? All my purchases on my previous phones were that way, but when buying XBL games on my WP7 from verizon it charges the cc attached to my live account. Would prefer to have everything show up on my bill.[/QUOTE]

On the purchase confirmation screen, there should be a link to switch the payment method. Could be that Verizon doesn't allow it, but maybe you just overlooked the link.

Made my first WM7 purchase. I just can't pass over another way to beat Plants vs Zombies again. I just got done finishing it on my android device and got it for my Focus which is my work phone. I've had it since the release and never bought a game until now.
Probably be the only game I ever buy because the ridiculous prices unless I get something on sale.

I've gotten way behind on my reviews, but here's some new articles to share with you. To help us score more interviews, please comment on the interviews! It's not much effort and really helps us out.

Xbox Live News/etc.
Xbox Live reviews
Indie

I've gotten way behind on my reviews, but here's some new articles to share with you. To help us score more interviews, please comment on the interviews! It's not much effort and really helps us out.

Xbox Live News/etc.
Xbox Live reviews
Indie

I played Angry Birds long enough to get the first achievement. It's Angry Birds alright.

I'll pick up Women's Murder Club as well.

I was just telling my wife that I wish a hidden object game was on the phone and I guess there was all along. Think I'll end up picking up Women's Murder Club.

Played a bunch of Angry Birds yesterday. That game gets ridiculously hard. I got to level 3-5 and spent at least an hour on it. Early on, I watched videos on how to beat it on youtube, but that really doesn't seem to help. I'd try to do the exact same things, but would never get the same result. When I finally beat it, I feel it was pure luck.

I then went on to 3-6 and spent probably 15 minutes on it before quitting. Considering there are probably 100 or more levels left in the game, I'm thinking about giving up on this game. Just not having any fun with it anymore.

edit: After the crying, I went back and beat that level and probably 10 more past that.

If you missed Twin Blades before it was delisted, you'll have a chance to get it again next week.

Twin Blades returns on July 6

I haven't tried Angry Birds yet as I'm trying to finish off Plants vs. Zombies. Such a long (and wonderful) game! Passed you up on the Leaderboards, Hoffer.

This is my first time owning Angry Birds, and it's just a great game. If I can't get a level, usually if I just come back to it later, I'll get it, and it's just a perfect pick up and play game. First purchase on my WP7, and very happy with it :)

That women's murder club game is glitchy on my focus. Twice when I came back to it and go to continue it just loads endlessly and I have to start a brand new game. I even redownloaded it and still have the issue.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']That women's murder club game is glitchy on my focus. Twice when I came back to it and go to continue it just loads endlessly and I have to start a brand new game. I even redownloaded it and still have the issue.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. I had a problem with it crashing during a mid-game cinema as my review states, but that was the only glitch I ran into on my Focus. :(

WP7 Deal of the Week
bt2twoScreens.jpg

July 6
Also, George's Angry Birds review.

I played the demo for Beards and Beaks this morning. Liked it enough to spend the $3.

I have one complaint with the game. When new things get introduced, you get a little tutorial. This tutorial is just a chalkboard with little drawings on it. A good number of these, I just stare at and am not sure what it is trying to teach me. I guess I have the sound off. Maybe there is talking going on, but I'm assuming not. I wish the tutorials did a better job teaching me the game's mechanics.

When you finish a level, you get zero to 3 gnomes. Kinda like getting 3 stars in Angry Birds. Some levels I've finished with 1 gnome and I don't know why. Then I think I do bad on a level and get 3 gnomes.

I'm sure I'll learn how this game is played better from other people's experience. I just wish the game would do that. If I'm completely missing something in the game's menues, let me know.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the gameplay. :)

Agreed on all counts! I'm interviewing the developer and I will try to discreetly criticize the tutorials and encourage their revision.

Any interesting bit about Beards and Birds. The game comes with 3 worlds and each world has like 10-15 levels. There is a 4th world available for download, but it costs $1. There is also a 5th world on the map, but it looks to be DLC coming soon.

One weird thing is you buy the DLC with MS points. The same MS points you have linked to your Xbox 360.

Also, you have special powers like dropping meteors. You use mushrooms to power these special powers. The mushrooms charge over time. Like you get another batch every hour, real world time. You can use MS points to buy more mushrooms if you don't feel like waiting an hour.

So, the game has DLC maps and boosters that you pay for with MS points. Not sure if there is another game out there like this.

They need a better explanation on the mushrooms, as I learned about the recharging from WPCentral, not from anything in the game. The full game is enjoyable though.

Okay, I kind of forgot to post about this here. My bad!

Last weekend, we asked our readers what mobile games they would like to see ported to Windows Phone as Xbox Live titles. To make things exciting, we promised to award Beards & Beaks avatar prop codes to the nine most convincing and/or interesting entries. After pouring over the overwhelming number of entries in the contest forum thread, we have chosen nine winners.

Contest results - What mobile games WPCentral readers would like to see ported to Windows Phone

It was tough picking just nine winners, but I think it made for a great wrap-up article. Please visit the results page and post supportive comments as Microsoft will definitely be looking at the article this week. :)

Okay, I kind of forgot to post about this here. My bad!

Last weekend, we asked our readers what mobile games they would like to see ported to Windows Phone as Xbox Live titles. To make things exciting, we promised to award Beards & Beaks avatar prop codes to the nine most convincing and/or interesting entries. After pouring over the overwhelming number of entries in the contest forum thread, we have chosen nine winners.

Contest results - What mobile games WPCentral readers would like to see ported to Windows Phone

It was tough picking just nine winners, but I think it made for a great wrap-up article. Please visit the results page and post supportive comments as Microsoft will definitely be looking at the article this week. :)

I ended up buying Sally's Salon last night. I kinda like this type of game and wanted to play it. I bought the Star Wars Cantina game, but that got too hard once Jabba showed up. Sally's Salon definitely seems easier, but it is fun. I've cleared through 3 salons and got to the hotel and haven't failed once or lost a customer.

I thought about waiting for the game to be a $3 deal, but figured I can afford $2 more. :)

DOTW PES 2011 for 2.99. I'm going to skip after reading the reviews on marketplace. Many of the latest say the game just quits working and won't open after awhile.

Free sudoku and mindsweeper are up. I couldn't find them on the phones marketplace. Opened Zune on pc and went to games and release date and they showed up.

I downloaded sudoku and minesweeper over 2 hours ago from my phone.

I'll be skipping the soccer game as the deal of the week.

Anybody pick up the Gravity Guy game? I played the demo and immediately liked it. I bought it this morning and now I deeply regret it. That game gets way too hard, way too fast.

Maybe I'm too old, but the game gets moving really frickin fast. I just can't keep up.

I WANT AN RPG!! The only RPG I could find is Dungeon Stalker and while it looks like a great Dungeon Master clone, it's not a LIVE game! Come on, someone make a good first person dungeon crawler or top down action RPG!

Does anyone know if AlphaJax uses cloud saving like Wordament?

While were at it, does anyone have a complete list of Xbox LIVE WP games that use cloud saving? I know there can't be many.

bread's done
Back