Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

WP7 Deal of the Week
earthworm-jim-hd-screen-1.jpg

April 13

Also, this week's Xbox Live title is... You guys should read my article. It's a bit clever.

Don't know much about Game Room on WP7? My Centipede review is live. I'm especially happy with the lead photo on it.

Here's some good news, too. Avatar Gadgets is now free.

Finally, Assassin's Creed dropped to $4.99. That's more like it!

I really want to like Pitfall, but I can't get the timing down with these controls. Most of the time I die at the 3 crocodile part.

How is AC on wp7? I have been holding off as I don't really like action games on touch screens.

BTW, has anyone upgraded to NoDo? Wasnt it supposed to improve game performance?

NoDo makes a lot of games load faster, yes. The Sims 3's load times are actually bearable (sp?) now.

Sean I hear ya on the crocodile parts. That will take some getting used to. Everything else in Pitfall! controls fine so far.

Enigmo is this week's Xbox Live title @ $2.99. I got exclusive first access to the trailer and Achievements, so please check it out.

iblast-moki-lead.JPG

Also, my iBlast Moki review is up! Like Enigmo, it's a physics-based puzzle game. Definitely a great buy for fans of Angry Birds and similar puzzle games.

Enigmo is an awesome physics puzzler, I loved playing that game on iOS, very happy to see it made the move to WP7.

Horray The Harvest!

Boooo Lunar Landing.

So I'm going to CA tomorrow, and looks like I won't have any must haves :(

However, I'll definitely grab The Harvest and others. Time to help me decide! Right now I have...

Assassin's Creed
CarneyVale
Earthworm Jim
Enigmo
Flight Control
Flowerz
Frogger
Fruit Ninja
Full House Poker
Glow Artisan
Harbor Master
Hexic
Katamari
ilomilo
Monopoly
OMG
Oregon Trail
Parachute Panic
Revolution
Rocket Riot
SW: Hoth
Tiki Towers
Uno

Wow...when it's all typed out I didn't realize I have so many...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing through Fast & Furious Adrenaline and it's actually pretty good, plus the Achievements are way easy. Might be one to consider if you're stocking up, though otherwise I'd wait for a possible sale.

That's a nice collection. I should post mine sometime! I'm lucky, I can buy any Xbox Live game we haven't reviewed and get reimbursed for it when I do my review. So I play a lot of stuff like Earthworm Jim and Sims 3 that I'd otherwise pass on, and usually have at least a decent time doing it. The only game I really suffered through is Zombie Attack 2!... Oh, and I gave up on Star Wars Battle for Hoth after a few levels; way too hard. Not reviewing that one though,

What? I really need to try my hand at writing reviews for you guys ;)

I was thinking The Harvest, Zombie Attack and Castlevania (expensive, but a pretty deep game).

Zombie Attack 2 is so bad. Please don't buy it. My review won't go up for 1-2 weeks though. Castlevania, however, is wonderful.

I picked up Harvest and got myself a couple achievements this morning.

I'm really depressed about Harbor Master. In my opinion, they really screwed up the controls on that game somehow on WP7. I haven't played the game in a couple weeks. Unless they update it and fix it, I don't see ever going back to it.

Hoffer, did The Harvest actually show up on sale for you? The Marketplace hasn't updated today AFAIK. No Lunar Lander yet either.

Please email Harbor Master's dev here: kshep AT imangistudios DOT com and tell him I sent ya.

Well a Verizon HTC Trophy theme and some gamerpics appeared on the Xbox Live Mmarketplace today so I'm assuming that the rumored May 12th launch of Windows Phone 7 on Verizon might come true.

GamerPics: LINK

Theme: LINK

I'm not at my console now, but can anyone read the fine print on the theme? Is there a release date listed?

EDIT - Theme and GamerPics were taken down and are no longer available for download.

I think I paid $4.99 for Harvest. It is very possible I wasn't paying attention and paid $6.99 for it. No big deal if I did. $2 isn't going to bankrupt me. :)

After hemming and hawing over getting a new phone the past year, I finally broke down and got a Samsung Focus.

I could go through all the reviews and stuff, but that list is getting kinda long. So, what are some of the better WP7 games out there?

Traitorous, welcome to the fold!

I recommend The Harvest (on sale this week), Full House Poker, ilomilo, and Fable Coin Golf. But you should at least read all the reviews that are marked as written by me. :)

[quote name='eastx']Traitorous, welcome to the fold!

I recommend The Harvest (on sale this week), Full House Poker, ilomilo, and Fable Coin Golf. But you should at least read all the reviews that are marked as written by me. :)[/QUOTE]
Hah, I guess I could at least read those ;)

Since I'm new to this whole WP7 (and smartphones in general) thing, is there any link/difference between games that aren't "mini-game" counterparts (Fable Coin Golf) to the versions you can get on the 360?

Hmm..are you sure is packman DX and not just an iOS port of CE? Seems odd if it were a new game Namco would be so quiet about it. Regardless, it's expensive, but better than game room.

Sean, they announced it as DX and the guy in charge of Microsoft's WP7 division tweeted my article, so hopefully it's accurate. It is indeed unusual for WP7 to get a game before iOS, though it could also launch on iOS the same day for all we know.

Traitorous, some games link to their Xbox 360 versions and some don't. The Game Room games (Centipede, Asteroids Deluxe, Pitfall!, & Lunar Lander) all share progress & Leaderboards directly between both versions, which is awesome. Full House Poker shares money and XP directly between both versions.

Gold earned in Fable Coin Golf transfers to Fable III, but that's it. Progress in Crackdown: Project Sunburst unlocks a few things in the Crackdown 2 DLC mode (like starting with helicopters).

Hoffer, I finally tried the Harbor Master demo and it seems to play fine to me. I did notice that lines draw in an angular way rather than with smooth curves like in Flight Control. Is that the problem? If not, please tell me about it as specifically as possible. I want to discuss it with the programmer, but only if I can make a convincing argument.

[quote name='eastx']Hoffer, I finally tried the Harbor Master demo and it seems to play fine to me. I did notice that lines draw in an angular way rather than with smooth curves like in Flight Control. Is that the problem? If not, please tell me about it as specifically as possible. I want to discuss it with the programmer, but only if I can make a convincing argument.[/QUOTE]

The problem is the line you draw isn't what shows up on the screen after you lift your finger. The line is often a more sweeping line. This makes playing the game very hard when you've got a bunch of boats on the screen. It is very annoying to draw a path for a boat to miss another boat, and it doesn't follow that exact path and runs into the boat.

I tried playing the game on my iPhone and it works perfect there. I think I'm especially sensitive to this as I've spent hours and hours playing the game on my iPhone. It just doesn't play the same as on my iPhone and I hate it.

Another thing that the developers can't help is I hit the buttons on the bottom of my Focus all the time. This takes me to Bing, the home screen, etc... I probably do it once every couple minutes. This is probably the number one reason I gave up on the game.

[quote name='seanr1221']What do you know, it's DX and it's up. DLing demo now.[/QUOTE]

Did you or anyon try Pac-Man DX yet? I downloaded it this morning, but didn't give it a try. I LOVED the Pac-Man Championship games on 360. I'm curious how the game plays with the phone controls. I don't think I'll be buying it at $7.

I love DX. Played it the entire way on the train today.

Can't wait for the must haves, but I'm sad to see Angry Birds pushed back.

[quote name='Hoffer']Did you or anyon try Pac-Man DX yet? I downloaded it this morning, but didn't give it a try. I LOVED the Pac-Man Championship games on 360. I'm curious how the game plays with the phone controls. I don't think I'll be buying it at $7.[/QUOTE]

The controls are surprisingly good. It's sooo much easier than the original game. You swipe anywhere on the screen to turn, and an outward pinching motion launches bombs. If the ghosts even get near Pac-Man, the game goes into slow motion, giving you an increased opportunity to escape.

The only bad thing about the game is it's only got 3 mazes instead of the XBLA version's 9, and a few less visual styles (3 instead of whatever the original # was) to choose from. But it's super fun and easy to play, at any rate.

As for hitting the capacitive buttons, try putting a rubber band between the screen and the buttons to create a barrier for your fingers.

[quote name='eastx']The only bad thing about the game is it's only got 3 mazes instead of the XBLA version's 9, and a few less visual styles (3 instead of whatever the original # was) to choose from. But it's super fun and easy to play, at any rate.[/quote]

I don't think I'd mind this. On DX on 360, I only played 2-3 maps more than once or twice anyway. I will play tonight for sure.

As for hitting the capacitive buttons, try putting a rubber band between the screen and the buttons to create a barrier for your fingers.

I tried putting tape over the buttons, but a rubber band sounds like it would work better.

I ended up picking up Pac-Man CE DX last night. The swiping does actually work pretty good for that game. I'm not able to do the bombs very well, but if you play the game correctly, you shouldn't need bombs.

I would almost say the achievements in the Pac-Man CE games are too easy. I've only got one left that I'm still trying to figure out how to get. Hopefully I'll have it tonight.

Did the DotW thread get nuked? I was searching for it but couldn't find it. Windows Phone, Phone DotW and even just DotW didn't turn it up...

Anyway, the DotW is Game Chest: Chess, Minesweeper and Sudoku for 1.99.

Hydro Thunder is pretty good. I couldn't get a hang of the tilt controls, but I'm really happy they included a virtual wheel for control.

Hydro Thunder has the same 2 quick achievements worth 70 points that the XBLA version had. The game plays decent enough I guess. I just set the throttle at full at the start and never touch it again. I like this kind of racing game better than the auto racing games on phones.

Picked up Doodle Jump this morning. I've owned the game on my iPhone for a long time. I realized after playing the game this morning that I actually never played the game before. So, I've had the game on my phone for maybe years and never tried it once.

At least you're in for a fresh experience, Hoffer! BTW, have you played Harbor Master since last week's update? I keep meaning to post an article about it...

WP7 Deal of the Week
pac-man_montage.JPG

June 1
Also:

I played a bunch of Harbor Master last night. I still noticed the lines not being drawn exactly as I traced them. It didn't seem to bother me like it did when the game first came out.

When a WP7 game gets updated, are there release notes anywhere? Like with iPhone apps, the developers usually tell you what they changed in an update. Maybe it tells you in the Zune software on PC? I will investigate. :)

bread's done
Back