Windows Phone & Windows 8 Deal Thread

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Windows Phone and Windows 8 Deal Thread

One Xbox game for Windows Phone and a different one for Windows 8 goes on sale every seven days as part of the weekly Red Stripe Deals. The Red Stripe Deals change every Thursday. Red Stripe Deals are open to all Windows Phone and Windows 8 owners.

Xbox Windows Phone Red Stripe Deal of the Week
January 23

• Collapse - $2.99 $.99

Windows Phone Price Drops - Updated 04/02/13

WP7 Xbox Live Release Schedule - Titles listed from oldest to newest
2011 release dates
  • March 02, 2011 - I Love Katamari - $6.99
  • March 09 - Burn it All - $2.99
  • March 16 - Full House Poker - $2.99
  • March 23 - Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 - $2.99
  • March 30 - Fable Coin Golf - $4.99
  • April 6 - Super Monkey Ball - $4.99
  • April 13 - Centipede - $2.99, Harbor Master - $2.99
  • April 20 - Asteroids Deluxe - $2.99
  • April 27 - Pitfall! - $2.99
  • May 4 - Enigmo - $2.99
  • May 11 - Lunar Lander - $2.99
  • May 18 - Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - $6.99
  • May 25 - Hydro Thunder Go - $4.99
  • June 1 - Doodle Jump - $2.99
  • June 8 - geoDefense - $2.99
  • June 15 - Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I - $6.99
  • June 22 - Plants vs Zombies - $4.99
  • June 29 - Angry Birds - $2.99
  • July 6 - Twin Blades - $2.99
  • July 13 - Beards and Beaks - $2.99, Nokia exclusive: Mirror's Edge - $2.99
  • July 20 - Tentacles - $4.99
  • July 27 - Sally's Salon Luxury Edition - $4.99
  • August 3 - Cro-Mag Rally - $2.99
  • August 10 - Minesweeper and Sudoku - Free!
  • August 17 - IonBallEX - $2.99
  • August 24 - No US release
  • August 31 - Fight Game Rivals - $2.99
  • September 7 - Gravity Guy - $2.99
  • September 14 - Collapse! - $2.99
  • September 21 - Implode! - $2.99
  • September 28 - Burn the Rope! - $2.99
  • October 19 - Jet Car Stunts - $2.99
  • October 25 - Orbital - $2.99
  • November 2 - Kinectimals - $2.99
  • November 9 - Fusion: Sentient - $2.99.
  • November 16 - Let's Golf 2 - $4.99
  • November 21 - Farm Frenzy 2 - $2.99
  • November 28 - Ghostscape - $2.99, Shuffle Party - Free
  • December 7 - Hasta la Muerte - $2.99
  • December 14 - Battlewagon - $2.99, Doodle God - $2.99, Breeze - Free
  • December 21 - MiniSquadron - $2.99
  • December 28 - Spider Jack - $2.99

2012 release dates

• January 4, 2012 - Zombies on teh Phone - $2.99
  • January 11 - Bug Village - Free
  • January 18 - TextTwist 2 - $2.99
  • January 26 - Fragger - $2.99
  • February 1 - Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $4.99
  • February 8 - Bullet Asylum - $2.99
  • February 15 - Chickens Can't Fly - $2.99
  • February 22 - Splinter Cell: Conviction - $4.99
  • February 29 - Toy Soldiers Boot Camp - $2.99
  • March 7 - Dodonpachi Maximum - $4.99
  • March 14 - Gerbil Physics - $2.99
  • March 21 - PES 2012 - $4.99
  • March 28 - iStunt 2 - $2.99
  • April 4 - Civilization Revolution - $2.99
  • April 11 - Pirates! - $2.99
  • April 18 - Monster Island - $2.99 (pulled)
  • April 25 - Wordament - Free!
  • May 2 - Pac-Man Kart Rally $2.99
  • May 9 - Feed Me Oil - $.99
  • May 16 - geoDefense Swarm - $2.99
  • May 23 - Droplitz Delight - $.99
  • May 30 - MonstaFish - $.99
  • June 6 Battleship - $2.99
  • June 13 Final Fantasy - $6.99
  • June 20 Fling - $.99
  • June 27 Super Monkey Ball 2 - $2.99
  • July 4 - Mush - $2.99
  • July 11 - Gun Bros - Free
  • July 18 - Contract Killer - Free, Lode Runner Classic - $2.99
  • July 25 - Asphalt 5 - $2.99
  • August 1 - Pool Pro Online 3 - $2.99
  • August 8 - Sally's Spa - $2.99
  • August 15 - Little Acorns - $2.99
  • August 22 - Shoot1UP - $2.99
  • August 29 - Roll in the Hole - $.99
  • September 5 - Galaga Legions DX - $6.99
  • September 12 - Crimson Dragon Side Story - $.99
  • September 19 - Contre Jour - $2.99
  • September 26 - Real Soccer - $2.99
  • October 3 - Extraction - $.99
  • October 10 - Babel Rising 3D $2.99
  • October 17 - Cracking Sands - $2.99
  • October 24 - Carcassonne - $2.99
  • October 31 - Big Buck Hunter Pro - $2.99
  • November 7 - Cut the Rope - $.99
  • November 9 - Nokia Exclusives: Game of Life, Jet Set Go, Parking Mania (all $2.99)
  • November 14 - Sonic CD - $4.99
  • November 20 - Nokia Exclusives: Spy Mouse, Trivial Pursuit (all $2.99)
  • November 21 - Turn N Run - $.99
  • December 4 - AlphaJax - Free
  • December 19 - KenKen - $4.99
  • December 21 - Nokia Exclusive: iBomber Defense - $2.99

Check out post # 2 for more info about Windows Phone games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thejnc']Just checked through my phone and contre hour was $.99. Bought.[/QUOTE]

Still $2.99 on mine...

EDIT: It's $0.99 on the Windows Phone Store. Thanks for the heads up, I bought it too. Glad to see they did go through with the sale, very weird that they'd take it off their sale page.

[quote name='MiXmAsTaRoB']Should I get them all? And any avatar awards I should know about for these games[/QUOTE]

Definitely no avatar awards on Mush and Doodle Jump and Kinectimals. Almost for sure no GeoDefense Swarm. Don't know about the other 2, but I'm pretty sure no.

I don't like the GeoDefense games. I'd say yes, buy the other 5.

i heard that wp8 system only allows one user account? if you try log in with another xbox live id, you have to wipe everything the previous user? is that true?

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']i heard that wp8 system only allows one user account? if you try log in with another xbox live id, you have to wipe everything the previous user? is that true?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that applies to both WP7 and WP8. One account per phone.

[quote name='eastx']Yes, that applies to both WP7 and WP8. One account per phone.[/QUOTE]

thanks.. that broke my hope for my friend to help me sign in with my account and then I can go on to purchase the app online.

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']thanks.. that broke my hope for my friend to help me sign in with my account and then I can go on to purchase the app online.[/QUOTE]

One way to pull that off would be to do it from an in-store phone, IF and only if there is free wireless access from that store. Or get someone who is about to activate a phone to sign in with your info and make the purchases before he signs in with his own info. I know a guy who's getting one soon, so if you felt like trusting him (he is trustworthy), you could ask for his help.

[quote name='eastx']One way to pull that off would be to do it from an in-store phone, IF and only if there is free wireless access from that store. Or get someone who is about to activate a phone to sign in with your info and make the purchases before he signs in with his own info. I know a guy who's getting one soon, so if you felt like trusting him (he is trustworthy), you could ask for his help.[/QUOTE]

thanks i will keep that in mind..

will try the ms store way first.. it came to my mind too :)

[quote name='MiXmAsTaRoB']umm new windows phone game? Ken Ken with a 4.99 price tag yeah I'll pass...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, looks like an OK pickup at $1. At 5x that price, it's just laughable.

I can recommend all the titles for .99 cents. istunt2 is very fun and recommend. Gets challenging however, but fun. No avatar awards on the titles.

[quote name='voormis']Great write-up. I downloaded the demo and will most likely purchase.[/QUOTE]

Nice to hear! Thank you. :)

Is there a way to buy games on the Windows Phone with MSP? I would rather not give Microsoft my credit card info and I have a butt load of MSP. I want Contre Jour and Doodle Jump!

[quote name='darkrun']Is there a way to buy games on the Windows Phone with MSP? I would rather not give Microsoft my credit card info and I have a butt load of MSP. I want Contre Jour and Doodle Jump![/QUOTE]

Not to the best of my knowledge. I know you can't on a WP7 unfortunately. I know WP8 has the wallet feature but not sure how that works...sorry. Someone else can most likely shed some light.

[quote name='darkrun']Is there a way to buy games on the Windows Phone with MSP? I would rather not give Microsoft my credit card info and I have a butt load of MSP. I want Contre Jour and Doodle Jump![/QUOTE]
Don't think so. I know paypal and phone bill are options though.
Edit: Apparently you can add a MS gift card to the wallet app.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars are finally available for WP7 owners but they are not Xbox Live games :(
Also, awesome sale, thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']Dude! pacman ce-dx dropped from 6.99 to .99 cents. Go go go go! The game is a steal at that price. chomp chomp[/QUOTE]

Nice! Thanks for the heads-up :bouncy:

Purchased along with all of the countdown to 2013 titles.

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']Dude! pacman ce-dx dropped from 6.99 to .99 cents. Go go go go! The game is a steal at that price. chomp chomp[/QUOTE]

Awesome. How do you catch all these sales?

[quote name='tylerh1701']Awesome. How do you catch all these sales?[/QUOTE] I look at the store everyday. It is habitual now...i can't quit! lol. I am happy it was pac-man. Would be sweet if they have a new discount daily for the next 12 days.

Good find! To be fair, I knew about it that early as well, but I had to take my son to school and do a few things before I could write it up. MasterMeaty is just too fast for me to keep up.

Might be stupid questions, I apologize... All these games on sale are they just for Windows Phone 7? If I get a Win 8 tablet or phone, will these be playable? And does anyone know if there's a way to check the Win 8 Store for sales on games (I saw that the google store has sale prices on Angry Birds Space)?

[quote name='tlwizard']Might be stupid questions, I apologize... All these games on sale are they just for Windows Phone 7? If I get a Win 8 tablet or phone, will these be playable? And does anyone know if there's a way to check the Win 8 Store for sales on games (I saw that the google store has sale prices on Angry Birds Space)?[/QUOTE]

They are for WP8 also. That is what I have and got Pacman, Kinnectimals and the coutre jour for $.99 each.

[quote name='thejnc']They are for WP8 also. That is what I have and got Pacman, Kinnectimals and the coutre jour for $.99 each.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if he was asking about just WP8 or Win8, but there are separate versions of Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. This is the thread to get info on Windows Phone deals, but I'm not sure there is one for Windows 8. With the push to release games and apps on Win 8, a deal thread for that would be helpful if it doesn't already exist.

edit: Actually here is a Win8 thread from x360a that is kept up to date:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=399534

4 Elements II is currently on sale.

[quote name='eastx']Good find! To be fair, I knew about it that early as well, but I had to take my son to school and do a few things before I could write it up. MasterMeaty is just too fast for me to keep up.[/QUOTE]
haha. Like a ninja. Do you think we may get a new sale daily leading up to Xmas east?

I am buying the sale titles just so I can download them once I get a wp8 device. I have not touched a lot of the games I bought a few months ago still.

They aren't always updated right away, but there are apps like AppDeals and Market Deals that keep track of various game/app deals.

[quote name='tlwizard']Might be stupid questions, I apologize... All these games on sale are they just for Windows Phone 7? If I get a Win 8 tablet or phone, will these be playable? And does anyone know if there's a way to check the Win 8 Store for sales on games (I saw that the google store has sale prices on Angry Birds Space)?[/QUOTE]
Not stupid at all; it can be a bit confusing. To expand upon what was said above...these deals are for both Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. The majority of games currently available are the same regardless of which OS you have (so a purchase on WP7 can be downloaded on WP8). Many of the games are available for Windows RT (tablets) and Windows 8, but those have to be purchased separately; they are not cross-compatible with the phones. Some of them aren't even cross-compatible between WinRT and Win8. Like I said, the whole thing is a little confusing and I might not even have all of that correct.

I don't have WinRT or Win8, so I don't know how to check deals aside from checking the link that was posted above. But I know that after Christmas, the Countdown To 2013 sale will be extended to tablets and PC's.

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']I am buying the sale titles just so I can download them once I get a wp8 device. I have not touched a lot of the games I bought a few months ago still.[/QUOTE]
I'm probably going to have to do that too. I've already done it for one other game that went on sale a few weeks ago. Now I just have to hope that nothing gets delisted.

Using bombs on Pac Man CE DX doesn't work very well. Still, it's an ok game for a buck. Got one more achievement to knock out then I'll probably be done with it.

[quote name='ZombieToast']
I'm probably going to have to do that too. I've already done it for one other game that went on sale a few weeks ago. Now I just have to hope that nothing gets delisted.[/QUOTE]
i did not even think about the delisted outcome.

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']heads up that the wordament game is now free on ios AND you can get achievements there too...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordament/id580935508?mt=8

can't believe MS is going to do this. almost my only reason to buy a windows phone and they are removing it? or just teasing people to get windows phone?[/QUOTE]

You can get Xbox Achievements on the iPhone? Can anyone confirm that? I know it says it on the product page, but that might just be a copy/paste thing. I can't imagine they would allow that...

[quote name='tylerh1701']You can get Xbox Achievements on the iPhone? Can anyone confirm that? I know it says it on the product page, but that might just be a copy/paste thing. I can't imagine they would allow that...[/QUOTE]

i went to the link from majornelson's tweet so i'm pretty sure it's confirmed. will follow up with my personal exp soon

yep it asks my xbox live id before game now. yeah first achievement

CH a CH IN g
You found a digram word
5 UNLOCKED

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']i went to the link from majornelson's tweet so i'm pretty sure it's confirmed. will follow up with my personal exp soon

yep it asks my xbox live id before game now. yeah first achievement

CH a CH IN g
You found a digram word
5 UNLOCKED[/QUOTE]

Yup, you're right. Their blog says the same thing, this is the first iOS game to have real Xbox Live Achievements.

http://wordament.com/2012/12/21/wordament-now-on-ios/

Looks like they only have 50G available on the iOS version, but still. If Microsoft wants to have their own unique operating system for phones, why are they slowly leaking every enviable feature of their OS over to other systems? Boggles the mind. We'll see if this is some type of anomaly, or becomes a regular occurrence in the future.

The reviews for Galaga Legions DX (WP7) have been horrible, all citing bad controls as a major problem. I'm downloading the demo now which is taking a really really long time. I don't have high hopes considering how insanely hard the XBLA version was, and now the controls are made worse.

A rare $0.99 game I may pass up since there's been so many good sales this week already.

[quote name='GunstarRed']The reviews for Galaga Legions DX (WP7) have been horrible, all citing bad controls as a major problem. I'm downloading the demo now which is taking a really really long time. I don't have high hopes considering how insanely hard the XBLA version was, and now the controls are made worse.

A rare $0.99 game I may pass up since there's been so many good sales this week already.[/QUOTE]

The controls really are that bad. But Galaga Legions DX is only a little hard - maybe you're thinking of the much tougher first Galaga Legions? If you decide to pick it up, use my Achievement Guide and the embedded videos and you'll probably come away with the full 200 GS.

Articles coming up later today on iBomber Defense, the Galaga Legions DX sale, and Wordament jumping ship.

I was also expecting a lot from Galaga Legions DX. It's one of my favorite XBLA games. Saying that, on WP it's pretty horrible. The controls are laggy and worthless. Too bad :(

I hate to say it, but if MS starts putting more achievement-enabled games on the iPhone, I'll probably make the switch to Apple next year rather than upgrading to Windows Phone 8.

Cool, grabbed Galaga for a buck. I don't particularly care for the game, but I'll buy any Xbox Live game for a dollar, partially just to support the price point. I hope this trend continues and Pac Man Rally Kart ends up being $1.

[quote name='DrUnkAgAIn']I hate to say it, but if MS starts putting more achievement-enabled games on the iPhone, I'll probably make the switch to Apple next year rather than upgrading to Windows Phone 8.[/QUOTE]

I would go to Android way before I went to Apple, but I'm with you. Achievements are the main thing that is keeping me tied to WP, and if they decide to start publishing lots of achievement-enabled games on other devices, I'll probably switch over to Android. The Windows OS is really nice, but I'm really enjoying my mom's new Galaxy S3 as well.

bread's done
Back