WipeOut PSP has a hidden browser built in

Very interesting! Thanks for the links. I am enjoying the system immensely.

As soon as I get over my one dead pixel I will be 100% happy. ;)

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000677037786/

4192211565476411.JPG

freaky stuff.

The second link basically says all you need are two free ware programs and a change in some options on the PSP itself.

[quote name='XCutioner93']very cool, any extra equipment needed to browse? Or is it just the PSP, Wipeout, and a few modifications?[/QUOTE]

Third link explains it step buy step.

It's pretty cool that Sony would put a browser in Wipeout. Can you access a keyboard with the browser, or can you just view the internet?

Don't read too much into this. The Wipeout browser is a very limited founction for downloading additional content. It is hardwired to go only to the Wipeout Update site and nowhere else. The people who produced the 'hack' were able to set up a directory on a system with files named to correspond to the address Wipeout uses. They then had a local DNS server set up to point to the directory instead of the genuine internet location. It worked but was painfully slow, taking several minutes to render a single page.

This isn't something you're going to use in real life except for getting Wipeout content.

This doesn't mean Sony is going to put a browser in a future firmware update. For starters, a decent browser would consume far more space than is available in the PSP's flash ROM. Second, there is no business argument for providing such. Third, even on UMD and using Memory Stick for local caching would at best be a very clunky browser. Try the best web browsing available on PDAs with far more OS support for creating such apps and compare it to the functionality of a $500 laptop PC. The PDA comes up short in every respect except greater portability and battery life. The PSP, with even fewer native resources (no font rendering or library, for instance), would come much farther down in usability.

A fun stunt but nothing like a practical application.

Thanks epobirs for your great input as always. How about running a browser from UMD disc and saving cache on a memory stick?! I'm sure UMD can fit a few :whistle2:D

I certainly dont think it's implausible forthem to eventually release some form of limited broswer software (no flash or java maybe?) Something along the lines of cellphone browsers or PDAs as mentioned.

[quote name='Alpha2']I certainly dont think it's implausible forthem to eventually release some form of limited broswer software (no flash or java maybe?) Something along the lines of cellphone browsers or PDAs as mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Those devices are sold at a profit and those services, especially on cellphones using the carrier's network, usually require subscription or usage fees. I'm going to have my cellphone with me any time I leave the house but only occasionally take a game system as well when I have an expectation of time to kill in transit or at my destination. It makes vastly more sense to bundle my portable web access into my cellphone hardware and bill, if I see fit to have the service at all. Additionally, if I'm doing anything work related I'm almost certainly going to have a laptop PC with me. The difference in functionality given that choice makes using the PSP laughable.

If you've purchaseda PSP without straining your finances it would seem very probable you already own a decent laptop computer if you have the desire. Asking the PSP to deliver an inferior function when used in the service of anything other than the games or other entertainment apps just seems like a desparate need to qualify the expenditure. That is Sony's job, not the consumers.

Limited function function web browsing to a single dedicated site makes plenty of sense for improving games and possibly selling more stuff to those who bought the game but beyond that, what is the point really? If you truly need protable web access there are better ways to do it for very reasonable cost.

[quote name='masha']Thanks epobirs for your great input as always. How about running a browser from UMD disc and saving cache on a memory stick?! I'm sure UMD can fit a few :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

I mentioned that if you look at the post again.

It's doable but with a lot of limitations that make the whole exercise questionable. Browsing sites designed with modern PCs in mind can be really annoying on limited devices. If you're browsing on a cellphone and go to a major site like Yahoo, you aren't getting the same site as you would on a PC. The server IDs the browser as living on a phone/PDA and routes your request to a version of the site designed for small screens and limited resources. That's great if you deal solely with big sites that have motivation and funding to target the mobile market. But that is a limited set of choices. Your average game site isn't going to make that investment.

There are some options, like RSS feeds, that work well with primarily text based sites like blogs. If someone ever markets an ebook reader app for the PSP, making it able to deal with an RSS dump received while syncing to a PC could be done pretty easily. There wouldn't as much issue of inputs, XHTML rendering, etc. But that is a far cry from live web browsing that doesn't constantly make you wish you had a laptop PC at hand.

There have been some devices in the past aimed at bringing web access to those with limited funds, the most well-known being WebTV. I got to spend a lot of time with that device while working at a company that did various kinds of computer product testing. Printer drivers were 95% of their business and I got assigned to do lots and lots of testing of the WebTV with certain HP inkjet models. Easy work but it soon became clear that using a TV screen for online access in 1997 was utterly miserable. No sane person with ability to own and operate a PC would choose WebTV over that. My aging 486SX/33 Win3.1 laptop with a passive matrix VGA (640x480 in 8 bit color depth) display delivered a far better experience. WebTV only made sense if you were desparate to get online. (You can include those who seriously thought they'd use the Dreamcast for web browsing in this category.)

While there are certainly people out there who've scrimped and saved to get the PSP, the primary market for the handheld is expected to have a certain affluence. They're nearly guaranteed to have at least one PC in the house and likely several to accommodate multiple family members all seeking use of the broadband simultaneously. Sony is counting on this for the multitude of wireless routers that go with it. Selling these people on a markedly inferior web browsing experience for the sole novelty of doing it on an unconventional device is going to be a rough climb.

I posted this over at pspforums.com

[quote name='"JebusMcLucifer"']Yay, i did it. (with a little help, from "zMastaa" @ pspcrazy.com)
[quote name='"zMastaa @ pspcrazy.com"']hey this is how it is done the guy has hosted a server portal!!!

On you main menu go into your Network setting. One you find your network and stuff you should eventually get to the DNS setup. Merely set your Primary DNS server to 67.171.70.72.

Go to the Download section onn wipeout. Voila! You'll see his website. From there you can do just about anything.[/quote]
*Edit* I figured out that Left shoulder is back, Right is forward, and square is refresh.
psponline1rm.gif
[/quote]
[quote name='"JebusMcLucifer"']Here's another pic:
pponline1ut.gif
[/quote]

Ok, I suck with computers, so if anyone can make a step by step thing that us normal people can understand I will be very grateful.

[quote name='epobirs']Those devices are sold at a profit and those services, especially on cellphones using the carrier's network, usually require subscription or usage fees. I'm going to have my cellphone with me any time I leave the house but only occasionally take a game system as well when I have an expectation of time to kill in transit or at my destination. It makes vastly more sense to bundle my portable web access into my cellphone hardware and bill, if I see fit to have the service at all. Additionally, if I'm doing anything work related I'm almost certainly going to have a laptop PC with me. The difference in functionality given that choice makes using the PSP laughable.

If you've purchaseda PSP without straining your finances it would seem very probable you already own a decent laptop computer if you have the desire. Asking the PSP to deliver an inferior function when used in the service of anything other than the games or other entertainment apps just seems like a desparate need to qualify the expenditure. That is Sony's job, not the consumers.

Limited function function web browsing to a single dedicated site makes plenty of sense for improving games and possibly selling more stuff to those who bought the game but beyond that, what is the point really? If you truly need protable web access there are better ways to do it for very reasonable cost.[/QUOTE]

I said it wasn't implausible that they could, I didnt say they would. I know that cellphones and PDAs usually function at a cost but those are using the providers own resources to allow access. The PSP has no Cellphone function, but it was something they mentioned it possibly doing in the future (unlikely, yes, impossible, no). And besides look at the dreamcast, it had internet broswers made for it and distributed with demo disks where was the profit in the for sega? At best the app was made to make the modem seem more useful just as one might make the wifi more interesting for people to try on the PSP.

Once again I'm not saying they will happen just that they could.

surfing the web on the psp hmmm.. I think they should make a better battery first. playing twisted metal online lasts less than 2 hours.

[quote name='whoknows']Aha..I got it. That wasn't hard at all...now someone just needs to figure out how to put emulators on it.[/QUOTE]

You mean you want to play Zelda on PSP?! Nintendo will turn in it's grave when it happends. \\:D/

[quote name='masha']You mean you want to play Zelda on PSP?! Nintendo will turn in it's grave when it happends. \\:D/[/QUOTE]

Sony probably will too, after Nintendo tries to sue them...

Because Koreans love them some online gaming...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/28/news_6121153.html

The first one hundred thousand units sold of the Korean PSP Value Packwill come with a Network Utility UMD and limited-time membership for wireless Internet service, in addition to a UMD movie of Spiderman 2.

By tapping the Network Utility UMD functionality, gamers in Korea will be able to enjoy a number of other online services in addition to games, including web browsing, an online movie player, and an online music player.

[quote name='Alpha2']I said it wasn't implausible that they could, I didnt say they would. I know that cellphones and PDAs usually function at a cost but those are using the providers own resources to allow access. The PSP has no Cellphone function, but it was something they mentioned it possibly doing in the future (unlikely, yes, impossible, no). And besides look at the dreamcast, it had internet broswers made for it and distributed with demo disks where was the profit in the for sega? At best the app was made to make the modem seem more useful just as one might make the wifi more interesting for people to try on the PSP.

Once again I'm not saying they will happen just that they could.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, where was the profit in it for Sega? That was the whole problem. They tried to grow an ISP business while failing to note that nobody was making money in the dial-up trade. It was a very flawed plan driven by the mass insanity of the dot.bomb era.

[quote name='Alpha2']Because Koreans love them some online gaming...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/28/news_6121153.html[/QUOTE]

The subscriber levels to MMORPGs and online gaming in general in Korea makes almost every other market look small by comparison. Pushing online there is a necessity in a way few other regions can match. But even there it appears Sony is taking a wait and see approach to observe what kind of response those first 100,000 units generate. (For the size of the market it's equivalent tot he million Spider-man UMDs here.) If NESPOT picks up a good amount of new business I cannot imagine Sony would say, "Sorry, first 100,000 only," and not offer the package to further customers at a nominal fee.

bread's done
Back