Wireless Internet Theft

[quote name='elessar123']I have picked up hidden SSIDs without doing anything special, many times. Yes, people won't see it the vast majority of the time, but it can still be seen. The SSID is still being transmitted at some point.

The argument against MAC addresses is that it literally takes less time to bypass than to set up, due to the MAC address also being transmitted.

But yes, don't lower your security for one device, like I already said earlier.[/QUOTE]

...as have I. It happens sometimes, but that could be a problem with the device its self, or an issue with the firmware on that specific device. If the device is working correctly and set up properly, then it should not be broadcasting the SSID like a normal device would if it were not hidden.

Regardless, my main point is that *most* people "steal" internet because it is easy to do. Just click the little icon in your system tray, view wireless connections, then connect to the first unsecured network you find. If you cant connect, "wash, rinse and repeat" again with the next network until success. By setting up your router to not broadcast your SSID, it *should not* show up in their list of wireless connections and they wont even know its there. You cut out probably 90% of "theft" right there for 1 fairly simple setting. Additionally, many devices are set up to connect automatically to the network with the highest signal quality...and if that is your network, it is nice to be able to prevent that sort of thing.

There is no way to be 100% secure unless you use a wired router and run network cable everywhere...but that defeats the reason you bought the wireless router. Its all about making as many hoops as possible for people to jump through. If it is too much of a PITA then the average person will just move on. If you are working for the CIA and have sensitive data, then you should not use a wireless network. :p

As far as bypassing MAC whitelists, I again point to what I have stated above. Most users out there with laptops stealing the internet, or neighbors stealing the internet, do so because it is very easy to do. They are not necessarily technically sophisticated, it is just easy to do when all you have to do is click an icon in your system tray in order to get a list of networks to connect to. If you dont want to hide your SSID, then MAC filtering can be effective as well in preventing a vast majority of people from accessing your network. I just wouldnt rely on it, thats for sure.

I just gave people a short list of things they *can* do to *help* boost their security. It is not an end-all be-all list by any means, nor will it ensure 100% security by any means. They are just recommendations of what an individual could do in order to prevent most of the average non-technical users (e.g. the average neighbor in the apartment next to you) from very easily accessing your network...every little bit helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']...as have I. It happens sometimes, but that could be a problem with the device its self, or an issue with the firmware on that specific device. If the device is working correctly and set up properly, then it should not be broadcasting the SSID.[/QUOTE]

No, that is simply wrong. By design, the SSID will be broadcast at some point. You either do, or it's not 802.11. That is a case of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

But just having WPA on is enough to stop the leeches. Disabling SSID broadcasts, using MAC filtering etc. isn't needed to stop them--the WPA will stop 99.9% of them.

And I don't see it worthwhile to worry about the minuscule risk of a hacker who's willing to crack the WPA2 to find my network to bother with the other steps that are extra hassle for me.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']I just gave people a short list of things they *can* do to *help* boost their security. It is not an end-all be-all list by any means, nor will it ensure 100% security by any means. They are just recommendations of what an individual could do in order to prevent most of the average non-technical users (e.g. the average neighbor in the apartment next to you) from very easily accessing your network...every little bit helps.[/QUOTE]

Basically, the comparison here is locking the front door of your house. Yes, you could also put bars on the door, put up a security camera, and install motion sensors, which would all do their part to make your home "more secure". But for 99% of people, locking the door is good enough. It's the people who don't lock their doors who are asking for trouble. Same goes for wireless security. If you lock your door, most "thieves" will leave you alone and move on.

[quote name='elessar123']No, that is simply wrong. By design, the SSID will be broadcast at some point. You either do, or it's not 802.11. That is a case of trying to have your cake and eat it too.[/QUOTE]

What's the point of having my own cake if I don't get to eat it?

OP, that sucks. I got 2 of those letters before and I can tell you that it's fine. They never did anything and it was just a momentary shock. But I would be furious and if I were you, I would give that girl a mouthful. And if she is hot, give her a different kind of mouthful. lol

How is it possible to find out the WEP password? Just keep guessing at it? I've been using WEP since it's so much shorter and easier to remember. I hate WPA as it's way too long.

What if you don't lock it, but turn the router off when you're not using it?

I don't think I'll ever be in an apt. where I have to worry, but leeches could use it when I go into a house.

You would think that if you randomly turn it off when you're sleeping or not using it, it would dissuade people from using your wifi.

Something's wrong with my setup. When I type in my IP address, it takes me to the modem and not the router.

[quote name='2DMention']What if you don't lock it, but turn the router off when you're not using it?

I don't think I'll ever be in an apt. where I have to worry, but leeches could use it when I go into a house.

You would think that if you randomly turn it off when you're sleeping or not using it, it would dissuade people from using your wifi.

Something's wrong with my setup. When I type in my IP address, it takes me to the modem and not the router.[/QUOTE]

That's an idea, but not very practical the way I use it. As I stated earlier, I use WiFi on my phone extensively.. to download podcasts before I leave for work in the morning, to look things up and web-browse when I'm on the couch (no laptop) and until I go to bed to act as a remote mouse when I play some kind of media on the computer in my bedroom while I fall asleep.

To clarify, I know exactly how to secure the router/network. I run ddwrt on my linksys and while I don't understand the minutia of every option, I knew how to secure it the moment I purchased it a few years back and had it secured until maybe 2 months ago when my phone started acting up and not responding to it so I switched it off and applied MAC filters and never came back to further troubleshoot it. If that makes me a retard that deserves to have my connection used, then so be it since that is the general consensus in this thread. To everyone else not stumbling over each other to hurl insults, thanks for replying.

Report her to the cops and send a copy of the police report to your ISP's security department to prove it wasn't your fault. If you didn't do strike 1 you shouldn't have it on your file at your ISP.

bread's done
Back