Wish me luck! (UPDATE) Nailed it!

TheMoor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Tomorrow I will be walking into the SCEA offices, that's SONY for those of you who didn't know, and will be interviwed to be a video game tester. So wish me luck and if I get the job I will be giving you guys insights into any new projects that SONY are cooking up. Any advice so I won't screw it up? Laters! :cool:

So I got it. Seems that I will be testing a lot of PSP games, is that scheduled to be released soon? I saw a lot of that testing going on. By the way, the PSP looks sweet! :D Thanks to all those that replied! Next up is the orientation.

[quote name='TheMoor']Tomorrow I will be walking into the SCEA offices, that's SONY for those of you who didn't know, and will be interviwed to be a video game tester. So wish me luck and if I get the job I will be giving you guys insights into any new projects that SONY are cooking up. Any advice so I won't screw it up? Laters! :cool:[/quote]

GOOD LUCK! You better not screw up and don't get all nervous/sweaty. Then you can tell us about Sony's dark and evil secrets as soon as you become tester.

[quote name='TheMoor']Tomorrow I will be walking into the SCEA offices, that's SONY for those of you who didn't know, and will be interviwed to be a video game tester. So wish me luck and if I get the job I will be giving you guys insights into any new projects that SONY are cooking up. Any advice so I won't screw it up? Laters! :cool:[/quote]

Remember to check your spelling on your application. You can get away with bad spelling on CAG but not on an application.

[quote name='Xevious'][quote name='TheMoor']Tomorrow I will be walking into the SCEA offices, that's SONY for those of you who didn't know, and will be interviwed to be a video game tester. So wish me luck and if I get the job I will be giving you guys insights into any new projects that SONY are cooking up. Any advice so I won't screw it up? Laters! :cool:[/quote]

Remember to check your spelling on your application. You can get away with bad spelling on CAG but not on an application.[/quote]

Application? I thought jobs like that required resumes?

You will end up HATING it. Playing the same game for 10 hours a day.. not for fun, but trying to break it.

Good luck.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Xevious'][quote name='TheMoor']Tomorrow I will be walking into the SCEA offices, that's SONY for those of you who didn't know, and will be interviwed to be a video game tester. So wish me luck and if I get the job I will be giving you guys insights into any new projects that SONY are cooking up. Any advice so I won't screw it up? Laters! :cool:[/quote]

Remember to check your spelling on your application. You can get away with bad spelling on CAG but not on an application.[/quote]

Application? I thought jobs like that required resumes?[/quote]

I don't know if testing jobs require resumes or not (there is a good chance they do), but many jobs that require resumes also have applications.

[quote name='mtxbass1']If you see an EA representative, kick him in the nuts for me. Thanks[/quote]

What he said! :twisted:

I don't know about game tester but SONY SCEA did want me to be on the game advisory board or something awhile back. They offered me like $75 for 2 hours of work. I tried to go out there and see what it was like, but i ended up getting lost and never tried again since, yeah i know pretty sad.

Sounds like fun, but you know it sucks if you get a bad game and you gotta sit there and play it for 10 hours.

Yeah I used to work and play on PCs for fun, then I started working on them and totally lost interest. Could never let that happen to my gaming, better to keep business and pleasure seperate.

I don't know about game tester but SONY SCEA did want me to be on the game advisory board or something awhile back. They offered me like $75 for 2 hours of work. I tried to go out there and see what it was like, but i ended up getting lost and never tried again since, yeah i know pretty sad.

I've done a few of those too. I tested R&C: UYA last Febuary and antigrav last August and a PSP game which i have signed an agreement not to discuss. :(

Sweet TheMoor, congrats. And if you happen to come upon a few exta PSP's or something (or anything for that matter), don't hesitate to give them to me.

[quote name='xenoman80']do game testers make good money???[/quote]
I heard that is was only 18 an hour, but I don't know if that was true or not.

Edit: Forgot to put a $ sign it was supposed to be $18.

[quote name='el bobo'][quote name='xenoman80']do game testers make good money???[/quote]
I heard that is was only 148 an hour, but I don't know if that was true or not.[/quote]

What? $148? Only?! That's deffinitely wrong.

When I was in high school a few years ago there would be fliers all around advertising jobs for game testers. The pay was something along the lines of $9/hour.

Game testers?
It might get boring after a while...but it sounds cool :)
You get to play games early in beta or alpha or whatever it is where you have to pick out the bugs.
Making games sounds like fun with coding.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']Yeah I used to work and play on PCs for fun, then I started working on them and totally lost interest. Could never let that happen to my gaming, better to keep business and pleasure seperate.[/quote]

The video game QA guys I know all still love playing games outside of work.

Video game QA is not fun. It's testing things over and over, trying to break the game, etc. It's a lot of writing up bugs, re-testing fixed bugs, going through things things that programmers don't have time to test, etc.

Congratulations OP! I don't think I would want to be a full time beta tester, although I have signed up to beta test Atari PC games. I want to test Dungeons and Dragons: Dragonshard, but I don't think they selected me. :cry:

[quote name='rockhero'][quote name='ZeroSupporT']Yeah I used to work and play on PCs for fun, then I started working on them and totally lost interest. Could never let that happen to my gaming, better to keep business and pleasure seperate.[/quote]

The video game QA guys I know all still love playing games outside of work.

Video game QA is not fun. It's testing things over and over, trying to break the game, etc. It's a lot of writing up bugs, re-testing fixed bugs, going through things things that programmers don't have time to test, etc.[/quote]

Yeah, I got to participate in an Alpha test for a cool sounding Naruto/FFT-esque game, but they had problems getting games set up online. never got to actually play it, but I haven't really tried afterwards.

For me programming games doesn't sound fun. Computer programming is REALLY hard and you have to be dedicated to it. Designing games on the other hand sounds better.

Game testers don't get paid much, I've seen ads from ubisoft and they only offer $9/hr.

good luck with it and try to bring back some secrets. you are now in the CAG secret service double O 0

[quote name='jngx80']For me programming games doesn't sound fun. Computer programming is REALLY hard and you have to be dedicated to it. Designing games on the other hand sounds better.

Game testers don't get paid much, I've seen ads from ubisoft and they only offer $9/hr.[/quote]

I'm a game programmer. You do have to be very dedicated, and pretty smart, but there is no cooler job.

[quote name='rockhero']I'm a game programmer. You do have to be very dedicated, and pretty smart, but there is no cooler job.[/quote]

Everytime I sell a copy of Zoo Tycoon 2, I think of you. :wink:

[quote name='TheMoor']Tomorrow I will be walking into the SCEA offices, that's SONY for those of you who didn't know, and will be interviwed to be a video game tester. So wish me luck and if I get the job I will be giving you guys insights into any new projects that SONY are cooking up. Any advice so I won't screw it up? Laters! :cool:

So I got it. Seems that I will be testing a lot of PSP games, is that scheduled to be released soon? I saw a lot of that testing going on. By the way, the PSP looks sweet! :D Thanks to all those that replied! Next up is the orientation.[/quote]

Dang, congrats man. I'm envious :twisted: How were you able to find out they had positions open for that? What were the required qualifications? Sorry I hope you don't mind me asking. I'm going to graduate soon, but it looks like I'm staying in the Cleveland area at least until my bf graduates.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='rockhero']I'm a game programmer. You do have to be very dedicated, and pretty smart, but there is no cooler job.[/quote]

Everytime I sell a copy of Zoo Tycoon 2, I think of you. :wink:[/quote]

This isn't something I usually say to other guys, but hopefully you've been thinking of me a lot.

bread's done
Back