Working Designs is gone.

well there were stories that NIS didnt get a PSP dev kit and cancelled Makai War. Then later Sony did some damage control and listed Makai War as a PS3 games, but I dont think NIS actually has any plans right now. Honestly I dont think we will ever know the whole story.

Boo to WD going down... but I never thought that Sony had any fault in it. I loved all their PSone RPGs... Lunars, VB, and Alundra.:whistle2:(

NIS has been having their problems with SCEA and Sony, Makai Wars was in fact shitcanned by Sony. Which is why they're making overtures to MS and Nintendo, even if its only to force Sony to let them release whatever they want.

Just out of curiosity, what MS and Nintendo ventures are they seeking out? Seems NIS' relation with SCEA isn't that bad when Generation of Chaos, Disgaea 2, Atelier Iris 2, and Spectre Soul 2 (I think it was that title that was just announced) for Sony platforms. I'm just unaware is all.

And I deeply regret WD falling. I've almost always enjoyed their translations and choices in what to bring over to our shores. Popful Mail, Lunars, MKRs, Alundra, and Vay were among my favorites.

[quote name='Amano']Just out of curiosity, what MS and Nintendo ventures are they seeking out? Seems NIS' relation with SCEA isn't that bad when Generation of Chaos, Disgaea 2, Atelier Iris 2, and Spectre Soul 2 (I think it was that title that was just announced) for Sony platforms. I'm just unaware is all.
[/QUOTE]
Well Atlier Iris is a Guest game, Spectre Soul and Genertation of Chaos are Ideal Factory. NIS is just the publisher in US.
NIS made plan saying they will support Rev and X360, but no actual game right now. It seems to a result of something that probelm with Sony, but they might have fixed that for now. Those are probably not things the want the media to know about.

As others have stated, Sony's attitude toward 2D games sucks. It has since the Playstation 1 days. Being a big fan of Goemon, I'm particularly bummed the PS2 version won't see the light of day here. I'll just never understand why utter trash gets approved because it's 3D while masterpieces get rejected because they're 2D. Sony are a bunch of stupid motherfuckers.

NIS and Sony having a relationship akin to a battered wife who keeps going back. I wish they would grow some balls and defect somewhere. Anywhere.

I own every game Working Designs has ever put out, from the TG16 games through PS2. I will really miss them. I got into RPGs because of Lunar for the Sega CD. This is a very sad day for me.

[quote name='Amano']Just out of curiosity, what MS and Nintendo ventures are they seeking out? Seems NIS' relation with SCEA isn't that bad when Generation of Chaos, Disgaea 2, Atelier Iris 2, and Spectre Soul 2 (I think it was that title that was just announced) for Sony platforms. I'm just unaware is all.

And I deeply regret WD falling. I've almost always enjoyed their translations and choices in what to bring over to our shores. Popful Mail, Lunars, MKRs, Alundra, and Vay were among my favorites.[/QUOTE]
They're "seriously considering" 360 and Rev. Actually, when asked about next gen games, they mentioned 360 and Rev, but didn't mention PS3.

Atlus is actually releasing Magna Carta 2 on 360, theres another developer/publisher that probably wouldn't touch 360 with a 10 foot pole if the situation with Sony were great.

They're just doing this for leverage so they can get their games approved, other companies with more clout (Capcom, Konami, etc) don't have these problems as often, if they don't want to approve one title for a certain platform, they can threaten to pull a certain popular franchise and put it on their rival's system. Lets not kid ourselves here, 360 isn't getting JRPG's because the developers think they'll get better sales than they would on PS2 or PS3. Plus, its in their best interest if one system isn't completely dominant... Well Sony, you don't want to approve our game? We'll just go see MS or Nintendo and see what they think.

right now i dont think magna carta 2 has a confirm US release by Atlus, just a Japanese one by Banpresto.

[quote name='62t']right now i dont think magna carta 2 has a confirm US release by Atlus, just a Japanese one by Banpresto.[/QUOTE]
Its confirmed that a "worldwide release" is planned, but no dates are finalized. The game is actually quite a bit further away than I thought it would be, they're saying 2007 right now.

A US release wasn't really the point anyway, that they're releasing it on 360 in Japan says volumes. Seems like a game that would sell better on a more popular system in Japan, but it is a Korean developer.

[quote name='62t']most people dont know this but SCEA actually published The King Of Fighters '95 and Samurai Shodown 3 for PSOne is US. However those were horrible ports and sold poorly with few ads (the later KoF 96 and Sam Sho 4 are a lot better). I guess this could explain Sony's attitue on 2D games.[/QUOTE]

Ok I'm reading alot of Sony anti-2D here let's clear up a few things shall we.

Circa 1997 Sony themselves were giving the greenlight to everyone and anyone to bring stuff over and were self-publishing quite a few titles from other developers. (Square for instance)

Who brought the niche shmup Einhander to the US? Strategy RPG Final Fantasy Tactics? Fighting Hybrid Tobal No. 1?

If you answer Square or Enix you're dead wrong it was Sony themselves.

1997 was the turning point year when Sony wanted 3D to make it's voice be heard and Final Fantasy 7 was the game to open their eyes and make them think this 2D thing should go bye bye.

Why SCEJ and SCEE aren't as anal about niche titles I dunno Psyvariar and Maken Shao are two games that come to my mind they said no to for whatever reason, but SCEE said ok and let them come out over in Europe.

Why the big Anti-2D stance they have been so vocal about in the past 2 years, and not too much before, I truly don't know and I think it's ridiculously stupid.

But to see how truly shallow they are sometimes they even deny their own games release in the US.

Ape Escape 2? Sky Gunner? Jackie Chan Adventures? All these games were developed / published by Sony but had to be published by other companies (Ubisoft, Atlus, and Hip Games, would have published JCA had they not gone bankrupt, respectively) why do you think Ape Escape 3 is coming out in the US (not sure if Sony is publishing it, but now you know why, if they are)

Interesting to think about, and maybe one day these so called magazine journalists will do some investigative work and get some straight answers for those of us who want to know the truth.

OT, this is a great thread. I'm a gamer but removed from the industry, aside from what I read on IGN and Gamespot, and I love these kinds of discussions. Maybe I don't learn the whole story, but at least I am privy to knowledge and theories that I wasn't otherwise.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Jeremy

[quote name='Samurai T']I do seriously think he blows Sony's anti-2-D way out of proportional. Sony allowed NIS America to release Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana recently. Atlus has released 2-D games stateside, along with Mastiff llc, Sega with Shining Tears. None of those games were discounted or bundled together. I just think Vic gives SCEA a rough time over stuff, making them deny the game.[/QUOTE]

See, this is what I think as well. Show me all the unapproved games you want, but there's absolutely no arguing the fact that the PS2 has more "niche" games than the other 2 systems combined. Heck, I'd take bets that the PS2 has more 2D games than either of the other 2 as well.

And I found it funny that someone dug up my old Vic Ebay rant thread. :p Vic was an asshole imo (not just because of that, but because of interviews I've read of his in the past). I'm convinced that had a lot more to do with his games being rejected than any 2d/niche concerns.

I really don't think Sony is biased against 2-D games anymore. Look at all the 2-D fighters that have graced the PS2 in this generation. Plus the resurgance in strategy RPG's on the PS2, all of them feature PS1 3-D background and 2-D sprite characters. Sony didn't kill Working Designs, WD is just a casualty to how gaming is being completely dominated by the large publishing groups (EA, Square-Enix, Capcom, etc). It's harder from smaller publishers to compete against those companies. So much of the gaming public buys their games. WD was hurt by constant delays, yes they have hardcore fans but to survive in the industry, you need to appeal to the broad audience now. I suggest anyone that has always wanted a copy of Growlanser Generations, I advise the to get it ASAP. Since there will be no more of these ever produced.

Microsoft has the perfect opportunity to solidify their "games as art" philosophy and court great favor with the hardest of the hardcore gamers and enthusiast press would be to hire the WD staff, give them a fully funded new first party studio and bring over these Japanese titles MS Game Studios may not want to put out under their label. Would be a hell of a lot more cost effectiv than trying to buy another Rare.

There's some arguments over who's going to release 99 Nights, eMenchant Arm and a few other titles. Give them a new name, let them put in bonus stuff out the wazoo and watch the accolades flow MS's way. It may not make them much money on the software side compared to Forza, Jade Empire, Halo etc but it will certainly do better than Conker.

This kind of investment in niche gaming would go a long, long way with the press, fans and Japanese developers.

I suggest anyone that has always wanted a copy of Growlanser Generations, I advise the to get it ASAP. Since there will be no more of these ever produced.

Never say never. There's nothing to stop the owners of the WD assets from selling the publishing rights to somebody else who wants to re-print it, the property doesn't just DIE because the company does. It might get auctioned off soon, who knows.

[quote name='uncle5555']I said this in another forum and I'll reiterate it here. Has there ever been 1 Goemon game EVER to sell well? There is a reason Konami never brings them over. Why you ask....well their not very good for starters.

I've played all of the N64 games (the 3d version and the 2.5d) and they were boring, the SNES ones (all 3) and while neat, again were boring....heck I even tried the so-called "GREAT" GB-mono Goemon game that's like Zelda only to be like what's all the fuss with these games. They suck.

Konami has tried since Mystical Ninja on SNES (SNES, N64, GBA, GB) to get the series a fighting chance over in the US and it never does well at retail, ever. Would WD's PS2 Goemon game have been any different....probably not.

Niche, forgotten, unloved like every other Goemon game ever released.

I've tried to love it, but the loves just never come for that series, which is a shame, because it had promise, it just got lost somewhere along the way.[/QUOTE]
Why should Sony care if someone wants to release Goemon, and it doesn't have great sales? Sure, its in their best interest to prevent companies from releasing shovelware onto their system, but this isn't exactly Custer's Revenge here. Sony isn't putting up the money, Sony only makes more money on licensing fees if more games are released.

[quote name='argyle']See, this is what I think as well. Show me all the unapproved games you want, but there's absolutely no arguing the fact that the PS2 has more "niche" games than the other 2 systems combined. Heck, I'd take bets that the PS2 has more 2D games than either of the other 2 as well.[/QUOTE]
Of course they do, its the most popular system, and the most popular system in Japan by leaps and bounds, companies want their niche games on that platform, and its just not practical for a localization company like WD to port things from PS2 to something like Xbox.

It doesn't mean that they don't reject games for absolutely no good reason. MS would move mountains to get the games that are rejected every year by SCEA on the Xbox. I hope this either forces Sony to be a little more liberal in what they approve for release, or makes developers more receptive to other systems that aren't quite so needlessly anal about it.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Microsoft has the perfect opportunity to solidify their "games as art" philosophy and court great favor with the hardest of the hardcore gamers and enthusiast press would be to hire the WD staff, give them a fully funded new first party studio and bring over these Japanese titles MS Game Studios may not want to put out under their label. Would be a hell of a lot more cost effectiv than trying to buy another Rare.[/QUOTE]
I would agree, but... WD mostly just localizes games on the same system they were made for, sometimes they'll port a previous gen game to a current system, but thats all. 360 doesn't have enough Japanese titles for WD to really do very much. The Shin Megami Tensei game on Xbox would have been good, but something like that only comes around once in a while. However, it could be an added attraction that they'd have such a reputable localization team in house. But, I don't think they'd buy them just for that. Besides, Vic Ireland is going to work on some 360 games now, I think we'll see him and some of their former employees involved in something, just not as WD.

[quote name='dafoomie']

Here's that partial list of games that SCEA has denied, that I made in August.
Vib Ribbon, Goemon (the previous Goemon), Dodonpachi, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon, Curse: Eye of the Isis, Shadow Tower: Abyss, Ys 1+2, Syberia 1 and 2, Still Life, Tales of Symphonia, Policenauts, and a complete collection of all the Langrisser games.

[/QUOTE]

The Policenauts situation still makes me more mad than anything.

Oh well, thanks for the memories WD.

[quote name='TheRock88']It's a shame, I loved Dragon Force and Lunar.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Force was the only Working Designs game I ever played. I thought it was really good but too bad there's pretty much no chance of an update (like there was a rumor about a little bit ago).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Dragon Force was the only Working Designs game I ever played. I thought it was really good but too bad there's pretty much no chance of an update (like there was a rumor about a little bit ago).[/QUOTE]

I know Japanese gamers got the Sega Ages thing for the PS2. Hope they decide to release here in the US.

[quote name='62t']
One of the most common misunderstanding. Take Lunar for example. They followed the Japanese version very closely, and only make change when it is a Japanese joke that no one would get. The only change they made are for NPC people that otherwise have no important role. Remeber they are the one fighting to keep the Japanese names from Rayearth while the anime distributer wants to americanize the names. People that can read Japanese agree that they did a great job with their translations.[/QUOTE]

I kind of like it when there are mysterious references in my RPGs. It's not like either joke is going to be funny, you know?

[quote name='uncle5555']I said this in another forum and I'll reiterate it here. Has there ever been 1 Goemon game EVER to sell well? There is a reason Konami never brings them over. Why you ask....well their not very good for starters.

I've played all of the N64 games (the 3d version and the 2.5d) and they were boring, the SNES ones (all 3) and while neat, again were boring....heck I even tried the so-called "GREAT" GB-mono Goemon game that's like Zelda only to be like what's all the fuss with these games. They suck.

Konami has tried since Mystical Ninja on SNES (SNES, N64, GBA, GB) to get the series a fighting chance over in the US and it never does well at retail, ever. Would WD's PS2 Goemon game have been any different....probably not.

Niche, forgotten, unloved like every other Goemon game ever released.

I've tried to love it, but the loves just never come for that series, which is a shame, because it had promise, it just got lost somewhere along the way.[/QUOTE]

First of all, you're absolutely wrong about the games. Goemon's Great Adventure is the best action game for N64, Mystical Ninja 64 is a great game, and Legend of the Mystical Ninja for SNES is also a great game. I'd wager most people who have actually played these games would agree with me and not with you.

And what difference does it make to Sony if they sell well or not? They aren't producing them, just allowing another company to do so. The only reason they don't want them released over here is image, where they believe the average person will associate a 2D game with poor graphics for their system. It's pretty stupid shit.

But unlike us, Sony has the luxury of seeing how it did in Japan and also looking to see why Konami didn't bother to release it in the US and then making that final desicion on whether to allow it's release or not into other markets.

Put it this way if you were Sony would you want this game that looks like a first generation PS2 game released on your system after all of these years, I think not.

ps2goemon-2a.jpg

'Nuff said.

I guess now would be a good time to sell my sealed Lunar 2 guide.

_>

Anyway, I'm always a bit sad when a good game developer goes down the drain.

[quote name='Kuros']I guess now would be a good time to sell my sealed Lunar 2 guide.

_>

Anyway, I'm always a bit sad when a good game developer goes down the drain.[/QUOTE]

You could always give it to me. You know...for free.

[quote name='uncle5555']Probably none considering it's a 3D game, (unlike what everyone is saying about it getting denied because it was 2D)

But unlike us, Sony has the luxury of seeing how it did in Japan and also looking to see why Konami didn't bother to release it in the US and then making that final desicion on whether to allow it's release or not into other markets.

Put it this way if you were Sony would you want this game that looks like a first generation PS2 game released on your system after all of these years, I think not. [/img][/QUOTE]
I never said it was because they were 2d games. I said it was because they were niche games.

Its just Sony's commitment to quality, is it? Well then, surely they'd reject Bad Boys, Catwoman, BMX XXX, etc. Oh wait, they approved those?

Because graphics are everything, right? A game can't be fun to play and not have great graphics... You could never have a game where you roll up stuff into a ball with clunky graphics.

Actually, if Katamari Damashi isn't from a company with some clout like Namco, it probably gets rejected.

[quote name='uncle5555']
ps2goemon-2a.jpg

'Nuff said.[/QUOTE]

Well, is the game supposed to be fun? Otherwise, they're just being graphical elitists still.

[quote name='uncle5555'] (bunch of crap snipped) [/QUOTE]

Wow, can't believe you spent so much time on that. Suffice it to say that your opinion of the games differs wildly from mine, and that your poor taste is showing. :)

Oh, and it takes quite a bit more than a disagreement on whether a video game is good on a Internet message board to "incense" me. :lol:

[quote name='dafoomie']I never said it was because they were 2d games. I said it was because they were niche games.

Its just Sony's commitment to quality, is it? Well then, surely they'd reject Bad Boys, Catwoman, BMX XXX, etc. Oh wait, they approved those?

Because graphics are everything, right? A game can't be fun to play and not have great graphics... You could never have a game where you roll up stuff into a ball with clunky graphics.

Actually, if Katamari Damashi isn't from a company with some clout like Namco, it probably gets rejected.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head right there.

Namco, EA, and Activision where the publishers of most of those games you just listed. So yeah I believe Sony brown noses certain publishers to make sure their games get released, and WD's was a victim of that snobbery.

I'm just shocked that the regime from the PS1 to PS2 era got SO snobberish to deny almost anything and everything they didn't deem WORTHY and make the decision for what the WE as gamers should have the opportunity to play.

[quote name='elprincipe']Wow, can't believe you spent so much time on that. Suffice it to say that your opinion of the games differs wildly from mine, and that your poor taste is showing. :)

Oh, and it takes quite a bit more than a disagreement on whether a video game is good on a Internet message board to "incense" me. :lol:[/QUOTE]

**Looks around sees Troll droppings** :roll:

Poor taste huh? Whatever..... Shame that because I actually had an informed opinion and intelligent response all you can come back with is "uhh you suck cause you don't like my game I like"

Sheesh, grow up or STFU (preferably the later.)

Have fun enjoying your Mystical Ninja games, you and the other 2 dozen of you out there and the Japanese folks who seem to appreciate it. Since no one else outside of Japan apparantly does.

To me when a game scores 191 out of 200 for the best of all time, that says a little about it's quality, regardless of how you regard the series as one of the best.

Oh and if you're just going to make another "Troll" post and say something stupid and snarky don't bother, it's a waste of your time, and intelligence and mine as well. Since informed, researched comments are so highly regarded by someone on a high horse such as yourself. Baka....

[quote name='uncle5555']**Looks around sees Troll droppings** :roll:

Poor taste huh? Whatever..... Shame that because I actually had an informed opinion and intelligent response all you can come back with is "uhh you suck cause you don't like my game I like"

Sheesh, grow up or STFU (preferably the later.)

Have fun enjoying your Mystical Ninja games, you and the other 2 dozen of you out there and the Japanese folks who seem to appreciate it. Since no one else outside of Japan apparantly does.

To me when a game scores 191 out of 200 for the best of all time, that says a little about it's quality, regardless of how you regard the series as one of the best.

Oh and if you're just going to make another "Troll" post and say something stupid and snarky don't bother, it's a waste of your time, and intelligence and mine as well. Since informed, researched comments are so highly regarded by someone on a high horse such as yourself. Baka....[/QUOTE]

Just who's on their high horse here....oh wait, it's you and it was you from the beginning, when you ripped on a game and ripped on me for saying I liked it. You need to settle down and realize that other people may *gasp* like different things than you, and to accept that fact. Despite your mistaken belief, you can't "prove" that a game sucks or is good in any case, only offer your (lame) opinion. STFU indeed. :roll:

[quote name='uncle5555']You hit the nail on the head right there.

Namco, EA, and Activision where the publishers of most of those games you just listed. So yeah I believe Sony brown noses certain publishers to make sure their games get released, and WD's was a victim of that snobbery.

I'm just shocked that the regime from the PS1 to PS2 era got SO snobberish to deny almost anything and everything they didn't deem WORTHY and make the decision for what the WE as gamers should have the opportunity to play.[/QUOTE]
You're pretty much right, but the PS1 days weren't all roses for everybody, either. They weren't nearly as bad, but they were still reluctant to allow the more Japanese stuff... Arc the Lad took many years, Langrisser, Policenauts, Vib Ribbon, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner, and most of the Megami Tensei games, never made it.

If a publisher wants to take a chance, let them take it. Its not Sony's risk, and Sony has nothing to lose. For that reason alone, I hope one of the other consoles can rival Sony in Japan, at least enough to get these games on their system. Its one thing to take a chance and localize a game, its quite another to port it to another system. If these niche titles start out on a system with a less restrictive company (and one with a lot to gain by pleasing Japanese devs), more will make it here.

bread's done
Back