World of Warcraft Battlechest + Wotlk 20$

[quote name='animalspinners']Yea, I'm curious to this as well.

It takes less time to download and install the game from Blizzard's website than it does to install the game one CD at a time. Plus, you don't need to pay shipping for physical copies you will use once and that have no value whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

You can install the entire game up to 3.0 patch using the lich king disc. You dont need to install wow, then install BC and then install lich king. Lich kings disc will install the original game plus the 2 expanions in one shot. Thats why wow and BC were on cd and LK only shipped on dvd.

It saves a lot of time by installing off the disc, then downloading the major patches in .exe format from a site like filefront.com and letting the games patcher pick up the smaller patches than just downloading everything through the blizzard patcher.

The discs are nice to reinstall from when you need to and for me I like having the original packaging for my games. Id rather pay shipping and get my games retail content and such instead of paying the same amount to get it digitally with absolutely nothing at all. Plus the battlechest also comes with a guide book for each game, while not real mandatory reading they are interesting to flip through.

I love getting a wow expansion and while its installing going through the manual, looking at the material in it and so on.

i wish i could just buy the digital version of WotLK since i dont have an account at all and im picking up the Battlechest on friday since i'm already going to a store that has it, and while i prefer to have the physical copy of things, i'd settle with having a physical Battlechest and digital WotLK, hopefully it'll stay this price long enough for me to set up the account, any ideas when this will end?

Well I bought the expansions. I quit back in 2005 before BC came out but my brother in law and friends have been trying to get my to come back for ages.

Ironically, I was the one who started them on WoW and then quit for a variety of reasons. Now to decide if I want to go back or not...

[quote name='imjpwutup']the shipping in this kills me. I know best buy is gonna sell at this price. And if amazon does too ill get it from there[/QUOTE]

I've read about the BF deals on the WoW base game and the BattleChest, but haven't seen any big BF deals for WotLK, so if you are looking to get both BattleChest and WotLK I think this could still be the better deal, especially if you are ready to start playing now and get the digital versions and avoid the shipping costs.

Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I've read about the BF deals on the WoW base game and the BattleChest, but haven't seen any big BF deals for WotLK, so if you are looking to get both BattleChest and WotLK I think this could still be the better deal, especially if you are ready to start playing now and get the digital versions and avoid the shipping costs.

Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]
That's what gets me on it. I don't want to play now. I'm not 100% certain I want to play at all. (I've had my share of mmo addictions over the years and don't know if I want another one) At $5 for the battle chest, though, and if I can find a deal on WotLK, I figure it's worth picking up just in case I decide to play.

[quote name='Maskim']That's what gets me on it. I don't want to play now. I'm not 100% certain I want to play at all. (I've had my share of mmo addictions over the years and don't know if I want another one) At $5 for the battle chest, though, and if I can find a deal on WotLK, I figure it's worth picking up just in case I decide to play.[/QUOTE]

That's why I bought the retail boxes, because I don't plan on playing anytime soon, but I figured at $20 for 30 - 40 days of play time (with a referral and what comes with BattleChest), I can't go too wrong if I want to start playing later and I can always resell w/o a loss after BF.

But just to clarify, all of the deals on the Battlechest I saw were for $10, not $5 (though I read something about a $5 gift card, I'm not sure who was offering that). And when I'm already saving some good money, I'm not going to dicker over a couple of bucks so I just pulled the trigger on this deal without much second-guessing my decision. The only way it can get much better is if the pay me to play :lol:

GS has a 5$ GC on the vanilla WoW, as well as Kmart I believe. This is still the best deal on Wotlk, and the best deal on the battlechest if you want to start playing now, avoid BF, and dont mind the digital download. I havent really kept track of my discs either. Everytime I want to play I just activate my account then download it again.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']

But just to clarify, all of the deals on the Battlechest I saw were for $10, not $5 (though I read something about a $5 gift card, I'm not sure who was offering that). [/QUOTE]It's K Mart that has the chest for 10 with a 5 gaming coupon on thursday. I figure since I'm not in any rush to play, I'll get that deal, and then I've got time to burn in finding a deal on WotLK.

[quote name='Maskim']It's K Mart that has the chest for 10 with a 5 gaming coupon on thursday. I figure since I'm not in any rush to play, I'll get that deal, and then I've got time to burn in finding a deal on WotLK.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if that K-Mart deal is online or just B&M?

Just wondering in case a friend passes on this deal but changes their mind later.

Personally, I hate going into an actual B&M K-Mart and would never do so on BF (recalling the stories about trampled shoppers and employees from last year...or was that Wal Mart...or is there really a difference?)

[quote name='Maskim']It's K Mart that has the chest for 10 with a 5 gaming coupon on thursday. I figure since I'm not in any rush to play, I'll get that deal, and then I've got time to burn in finding a deal on WotLK.[/QUOTE]

While Kmart's deal is sweet, I really doubt you will find a better deal on wotlk, barring when the next expac comes out.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Do you know if that K-Mart deal is online or just B&M?

Just wondering in case a friend passes on this deal but changes their mind later.

Personally, I hate going into an actual B&M K-Mart and would never do so on BF (recalling the stories about trampled shoppers and employees from last year...or was that Wal Mart...or is there really a difference?)[/QUOTE]
I think it's in store. The coupon is for buying it on thanksgiving, to my knowledge, so it shouldn't be nearly as busy.

[quote name='larryface']While Kmart's deal is sweet, I really doubt you will find a better deal on wotlk, barring when the next expac comes out.[/QUOTE]
You could be right. If I can't, though, Amazon has it for 20 right now, so worst case scenario, I'm ok with paying $3 more after shipping to have a physical copy.

Im seeing 30$ on Amazon right now. It was on sale on Amazon I guess.

Im thinking about upgrading my bros account to Wotlk even tho its inactive.

[quote name='Inferno-X']To clarify a bit, you can go into your account send yourself a "recruit-a-friend" invite, accept it and make a new account (free trial) that is linked to your main account. When you upgrade WoW from trial to full for $5 your main account will get a month for free (~$15 value). That is if I'm not mistaken. This will get your new character, say a worgen or goblin, x3 gained xp if you multibox accounts (fully legal, Blizzard wants your money) and have them quest together.

If you want to take this one step further you can buy 60 days of game time on that newly made account and you'll get a very unique looking two seater rocket mount. After you do this once you can cancel the buddy account and let it die out after the time expires, but you still keep the mount.[/QUOTE]
This is pretty slick, but will it work from an account that is inactive? Say for example my main account is not active and I send myself an invite, create the new account, and upgrade it for $5: would the main account then become active with 30 days? Also, how does the 3x exp modifier work? Do you simply have to be grouped with the other account OR do they need to be set on follow while you grind? My machine can dual box both accounts while I alt-tab between them to keep the faux account from logging out, so that's not a problem.

Refer-a-Friend details can be found here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20588

The veteran is the person sending the invite and the recruit is the person accepting the invite

"In order to receive triple experience, you must be partied with a character on a linked account and within 100 yards of one another. With this, both characters (veteran and recruit) must be present for each kill and quest completion."

"...you must be within 3 levels of one another and meeting all other triple experiences requisites in order for both characters to receive triple experience. If this level requirement is not met, only the lower level character will receive the bonus."

The veteran stands to earn several bonuses/extras that make it in their interest to bring on new recruits. The ideal situation for me would be to reactivate my old account, start a new toon for myself and recruit my wife on a new acccount. This would allow us to both level up together and my main account would get the extra bonuses. Unfortunately, she isn't interested in playing right now.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Refer-a-Friend details can be found here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20588

The veteran is the person sending the invite and the recruit is the person accepting the invite

"In order to receive triple experience, you must be partied with a character on a linked account and within 100 yards of one another. With this, both characters (veteran and recruit) must be present for each kill and quest completion."[/QUOTE]Thanks for the link. Also found this:
Note: If you wish to recruit a friend or family member, you must possess an active World of Warcraft account.
Guess that foils my plans of just paying $5 for a month of time and I think the 3x exp would end up being more of a hassle micromanaging anyways. Good deal if anyone has a friend that needs an account, though!

I'm going to take advantage of this to get extra XP for my new Worgen too.

If anybody wants to be my referral, or just try the game before buying, here are some 10 day free trial codes:

You can activate your free trial with the following steps:
1. Create a Battle.net® account at http://us.battle.net/account (if you already have a Battle.net account, simply log in.)
2. Under the "Manage My Games" section, click on "Add a New Game."
3. Enter this Authentication Key:

E6F6BW-FK9B-JJNT6T-D6GR-PNHHG7
VGH2ZB-X4PJ-G8NYM6-T9J7-XF4GHH
DMC2YK-4GE7-D772EF-88EF-69BGZF
HJ9DTB-8H9R-JNNFW8-HZ9T-VVGY8D
EWKFGE-MF8M-B7DXR8-KETJ-DT4ECP

Last edited by a moderator:
My old account is inactive, but there's a link on it that says I can get 7 days of free play (I guess it is an incentive to come back), so my plan would be to use that link to reactivate my account and then I'd be able to send the recruit-a-friend invite.

Does anyone know if the 10-day trial code (from recruit-a-friend) and 30-days that come with the basic WoW game will stack with each other (and with a 60-day time card)? That is, if I create a new account with the trial code and then enter my retail WoW license code on the same day will I immediately have 40 days of play time, or will the 30-days from the retail code override the 10-day trial code?

Also, if you send out multiple invites (as veteran), will you earn bonus EXP when you are playing with any of your recruits? I'm guessing so, though you may still run into the problem of not getting the bonus EXP if you are more than 3 levels above the recruit.

Also, the bonus experience is only available up to level 60 and only for 90 days from when the recruit opens their account.

In any case, this seems like a good way to level up some alts (or your main if you stopped playing after your free play time like I did) and get some friends ramped up pretty quickly. As a recruit though, my biggest concern would be the availability of the veteran that recruited me because if they aren't around, I can't get the bonus experience (but they will still get some bonus play time and items if I pay to subscribe after the free play time expires).

So, you could buy 2 copies of the core game. Activate one and get 30 days. Then if you did the recruit a friend and activated the 2nd copy, the original account would have 60 days. Then if you did the 10 day trial for burning crusade before activating it and the 10 day trial for WoLTK before activating it, you'd have 80 days. Also, if you did the 10 day trial before activating the first copy of the core game, you'd have a total of 90 days of time for $25, I believe. Feel free to correct me if I messed up somewhere.

[quote name='Tercitus']So, you could buy 2 copies of the core game. Activate one and get 30 days. Then if you did the recruit a friend and activated the 2nd copy, the original account would have 60 days. Then if you did the 10 day trial for burning crusade before activating it and the 10 day trial for WoLTK before activating it, you'd have 80 days. Also, if you did the 10 day trial before activating the first copy of the core game, you'd have a total of 90 days of time for $25, I believe. Feel free to correct me if I messed up somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you can get 10 days of free subscription time with the expansion packs (BC and WotLK)? I thought the 10-day free play trial was only for newly created accounts, so there would be no way to stack them.

I think I recall seeing that you could get 10-day trials for the BC and/or WotLK CONTENT (since the patches and updates include all of the game content regardless of which expansions you have purchased), but my impression was that you still had to have an active account and this promotion only allowed you to access the expansion content, not get free subscription time.

Then again, I could be mistaken, but that was my impression.

[quote name='Tercitus']So, you could buy 2 copies of the core game. Activate one and get 30 days. Then if you did the recruit a friend and activated the 2nd copy, the original account would have 60 days. Then if you did the 10 day trial for burning crusade before activating it and the 10 day trial for WoLTK before activating it, you'd have 80 days. Also, if you did the 10 day trial before activating the first copy of the core game, you'd have a total of 90 days of time for $25, I believe. Feel free to correct me if I messed up somewhere.[/QUOTE]
This is completely incorrect.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Are you sure you can get 10 days of free subscription time with the expansion packs (BC and WotLK)? I thought the 10-day free play trial was only for newly created accounts, so there would be no way to stack them.

I think I recall seeing that you could get 10-day trials for the BC and/or WotLK CONTENT (since the patches and updates include all of the game content regardless of which expansions you have purchased), but my impression was that you still had to have an active account and this promotion only allowed you to access the expansion content, not get free subscription time.

Then again, I could be mistaken, but that was my impression.[/QUOTE]

To elaborate:

"Who is eligible to try the Wrath of the Lich King 10-day free trial edition?

Anyone who has a current subscription or has ever had a subscription to World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade can play the Wrath of the Lich King trial. There is a limit of one free trial per account. World of Warcraft "classic" trial accounts and World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade trial accounts are not eligible for the Wrath of the Lich King 10-day free trial."

See the following for more details:
http://us.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?locale=en_US&gameId=11&categoryId=2331&rootCategoryId=2317

But it looks to me that if you have ever had a 10-day trial on an account, you can't have another.

[quote name='needler420']I played WOW for a year in a half after lynch king had a level 80 undead rogue and a 80 paladin tank that did 25 man Naxx. If this game was free to play it be worth it but to spend 1/4 of what my car insurance costs a year no thanks.[/QUOTE]

This is quality info. Thanks for sharing, bro!

[quote name='DarkonJohn']To elaborate:

"Who is eligible to try the Wrath of the Lich King 10-day free trial edition?

Anyone who has a current subscription or has ever had a subscription to World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade can play the Wrath of the Lich King trial. There is a limit of one free trial per account. World of Warcraft "classic" trial accounts and World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade trial accounts are not eligible for the Wrath of the Lich King 10-day free trial."

See the following for more details:
http://us.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?locale=en_US&gameId=11&categoryId=2331&rootCategoryId=2317

But it looks to me that if you have ever had a 10-day trial on an account, you can't have another.[/QUOTE]

I just want to chime for a little clarification on the 10 day trials. I played classic WoW way back before BC and stopped playing before BC even came out. 1 month ago my friends coerced me into playing again. I was able to play a free 10 day trial of BC, after which I stopped playing again. This week my friends coerced me into playing again, so I purchased BC for $5 and I was then eligible for a 10 day trial of WotLK, which I am currently playing.

In summary, yes, you can have more than one 10 day trial per account, but I am fairly certain you can only have one 10 day trial per expansion - in other words, one 10 day trial for BC then another 10 day trial for WotLK.

I would suspect the following order of events would give you the best bang for your buck:
- Have a classic WoW account, add free 10 day trial of BC
- Purchase BC after 10 day trial is added
- Add free 10 day trial of WotLK (I can't verify that the 10 day trials stack, so you may need to wait until your 10 day BC trial has expired)
- Enjoy 20 days of free playtime

I'm kinda crossing my fingers for a free 10 day trial of Cataclysm as well, but I am prepared to have my hopes shattered (see what I did there?) on that.

[quote name='not2worried']Can I give a digital copy as a gift ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe so :) It may not let you until after you check out. I know when I gift game time, it's not until the "Order Complete" page that I get the option to send it as a gift.

[quote name='Katsumi87']Yes, I believe so :) It may not let you until after you check out. I know when I gift game time, it's not until the "Order Complete" page that I get the option to send it as a gift.[/QUOTE]

I would like to gift lich king just dont wanna order to find out you cant

bread's done
Back