Worst B&M Game Retailer 2007

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Using the above voting system, cast your vote for Worst Brick & Mortar Retailer.
This award goes to the worst overall B&M (physical store) video game retailer in 2007.

Last year's winner:
Worst B&M Game Retailer: EB Games / GameStop

2006 was a year of big changes in the world of video game shopping, but, as the above voting indicates, GameStop's acquisition of EB Games, and the subsequent death of EBgames.com was the Biggest CAG Shopping News that affected CAGs the most. EBgames.com is still alive, but it now merely acts as a mirror for GameStop.com. All the great deals, inlcuding the daily morning update of used game inventory, now seem to be a thing of the past. After winning Best Online Game Retailer for 3 years in a row, it is very sad to see EBgames.com in such a sorry state. Apparently, the CAGs don't hold their Brick & Mortar stores in such high regard either. Better luck next year, EB Games / GameStop!

Toys 'R Us.

Yeah, you might get lousy service at Gamestop/EB, but at least they have titles when you go looking for them! TRU also has the horrible "ticket system" still in place, horrible organization, and very few deals (outside the Galaxy GC deal).

I'll take crappy retailers for $200.

"This retailer is well known for having lousy customer service, not knowing their own ads and tossing lawsuits around liberally."

...uhhh, What is Circuit City?

EBGames / GameStop

I've rarely been so annoyed / harassed in a store that I walked out, but that's exactly what I did while in one this past year. One of the few stores that will actually make me spend more money just to avoid them.

Gamestop/EB. They continue to destruct and self implode what were once great game retailers. Gone are the great days of EB, Software Etc., Babbages, etc....

Well, I'll throw [highlight]Walmart[/highlight] out there again. They suck especially hard from a CAG perspective since they never have sales/clearance deals that aren't hugely YMMV. They occasionally have some great deals (that I only ever see posted here, never found one myself) just at one store or a few stores and never nationally. Plus the place just sucks overall...

I can't agree with EB/GS since I've been able to take advantage of some great trade-in deals. 2007 featured the trade 2 Wii games get a new one free deal, which I was able to use to turn many cheap Wii games into preorders for SMG, Fire Emblem, Mairo Strikers, Metroid 3, SSBB, and several 360 games (after I switched other preorders and paid the small difference after using the 10% off coupon).

Circuit City is best and worst for me this year. The move against Speedy makes them the worst, but I really like their method of game clearances.

Walmart.

Not because I've had bad experiences with them, but because I've had NO experiences with them. I can't think of a single deal offered by them, let alone one that was appealing to me. Every other retailer I can think of has had deals or clearances I took advantage of. Walmart, none.

Wal-Mart
The reasons posted above are enough for me, especially the ultra-YMMV deals. I hate going Wal-Mart for anything, the stores are always over-crowded, the prices for games are high (Except for Jewel case PC games), and the other customers always seem to be ruder than customers of other stores.

gamestop. they get lamer every year. ive only bought 5 things from them this past year because i recieved GCs.

edit: ooops..i forgot about the B2G1 and the 25% coupon thing.

I think ill change my nomination.....Circuit City because of the popular topic that is linked with it.

Circuit City, as I wish I could find an employee who actually wants to help, or literate enough to help search in their systems. It's like they get the most ignorant high school dropouts in the store near me.

Circuit City, if the subpoena/lawsuit and firing of employees weren't enough, they seem determined to run themselves into the ground by providing horrible service.

GameStop fo sho yo. But yes, GameStop has just been terrible, at least in Las Vegas. Best Buy had a few good deals, including the $39.99 sale on Orange Box, and a bunch of other good titles; Circuit City's clearance is pretty good if you can find things; but damn, I dread going to GameStop if there's a good deal. Their customer service can be horrendous, and they don't honor coupons or trade-in values.

EB/Gamestop as usual. Selling used games for $55? I still think people are foolish for using them for trade-ins or normal purchases. They offer diddly for trade-ins and charge too much for used titles. For $5 more I'll support the developers and buy a new copy of a game over dealing with these guys.

I had no problems when I went in to CC; however, that stunt they pulled on Speedy, ugh...

So
madfawksmiley.gif
to you CC.

For me it would be Worst Buy. Charlotte Rivergate store will not pricematch anything. I am 0-5 and the managers have the caring of a McDonald's manager. Think they have an exchange program with the McDonald's in front of it.

With Circuit City, I am batting 100% here. They even pricematched the b2g1 TRU deal. However it did suck that they fired all those people...

Toys r Us. The never have anything new in stock and withhold what titles then do have when there is a B2G1 free sale.

Absolutely the worst!

Circuit City because of their piss poor customer service and their inability to hire managers with functioning brains.

bread's done
Back