WORST deal you've ever witnessed?

Samus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I'm currently visiting New York City, and I went into this store called Digital Depot, and they had games like $40 ABOVE MSRP. Mario Party 8 was $90 and I was like o_O.

What are some crazy sale prices you've seen? Craigslist/eBay doesn't count, I'm talking retail stores.

I was in a Mom and Pop shop in Montreal that had DS games at 50 bucks and console at 50...granted they had some crazy ass stuff (A stack of 30 Pheonix Wrights when they were impossible to get) but still

[quote name='dodgeme']Walmart still selling old sports games for 40 bucks lol.[/quote]

Heh, or make that any store selling any non-current sports game for more than $5.

Probably KB toys trying to sell games like Narnia Prince Caspian and Wii Play (game only no remote) for 39.99 each used when you could get Narnia on ebay brand new for under 10$ if you really wanted it.

The Wii play game is the biggest ripoff, gamestop had it game only for 24.99 for a while, not sure if they dropped it yet and KB toys was charging 39.99 for it.

EB Games:
PS2:
-Amored core:Nine Breaker:47.99
-Samurai Jack:Shadow Of Aku:35.99
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2001-14.99
-Simpsons Road Rage-21.99

Gameboy Advance:
-Castlevania:Double Pack-39.99 (New)
-Baldurs Gate:Dark Alliance-27.99

Post more later

[quote name='kewlrabbit']I went to a pawn shop that was trying to sell Earthbound for $90.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I go to the wrong ones, but every pawn shop I've ever been to has sucked. Not that badly, perhaps, but they'd be selling common last gen games, cart or disk only, for 30-40 bucks. Even for other things, it seems I could buy a brand new equivalent for not much more than the pawn shop wanted.

Oh yeah the Pokemon Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire games that are sitting at sears for 39.99 each. The used copies of said games at gamestop for similar prices, 34.99 for a used Pokemon Sapphire. Ruby and Sapphire have save batteries that die and the game has to be patched (a couple ways to do this) or else half the features of the game don't work. So you can see why a used copy is a bad deal unless its very cheap.

Seeing copies of Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green for 29.99+ at gamestop at one point, not sure of their prices now. These 2 titles went GBA players choice and cost 19.99 new at one point so buying a used copy for more than 19.99 is a total ripoff.

LOL that reminds me. My local pawnshop sells all SNES games for like 7 bucks or higher. Even the crappiest common ones. I wanted to bitchslap that hoe, just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth that much. Like I want to buy random SNES football game for 7 bucks. Get fucking real.

Awhile back, a mom & pop shop near me had an anime boxset (Soul Hunter) used for $60... it was $40 new at the Suncoast in the mall...

I was at a thrift store last night... they had 2 gamecubes with controllers, but no games for $60 each. I told the guy you can get a refurbished one at gamestop for only $25.

When I was in the local game shop one day, the one guy came in with a stack of PS1 games and a couple crappy DVD's.

In that stack of games, he had FFVII through FFIX. The clerk in the store offered him $7 for FFVII and a buck or two for FFVIII and FFIX. Even worse was that the guy TOOK the offer. :roll::whistle2:s#-o

I visit a lot of Deal of the Day websites (sites like Woot! and others I find on dodtracker.com), and I used to frequently see this one:

$349.99 Nintendo Wii + 5 free games (Golf, Tennis, Bowling, Boxing and Baseball)

Nice.

[quote name='Samus']I'm currently visiting New York City, and I went into this store called Digital Depot, and they had games like $40 ABOVE MSRP. Mario Party 8 was $90 and I was like o_O.

What are some crazy sale prices you've seen? Craigslist/eBay doesn't count, I'm talking retail stores.[/quote]

Is this place right on Broadway in Manhattan? My wife and I were just in NYC a couple weeks ago, and she broke her phone charger, so we went into one of those many electronics stores right on Broadway. Her phone was dead in the hotel, but we knew what charger it took. The owner/manager was completely rude saying we needed to bring the dead phone in so we could match the charger. After arguing a bit with him (yes, he was arguing with a customer), I noticed the price he had marked on Wii Mario Kart, like $90, and just got out of there.

[quote name='paz9x']new copy of odama in a beatup box for $50 in the middle of the display of wii games
this was last week.[/quote]

Greece, NY Walmart?

I remember seeing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for the N64 at Hills for 79.99! IIRC it was fairly old at that point, probably about a year or two.

[quote name='Malik112099']HDMI cables at Best Buy[/quote]

/endthread

Oh, and Sears VG Black Friday 2008 deals.

1997 FAO Schwarz in NYC. N64 games like Mischief Makers for $90 that were $49.99 elsewhere.

I don't know if it is worse but Movie Gallery around 4 or 5 years ago, they had Gran Turismo 3 for $34.99 used when it was a Greatest Hits game so the MSRP was $19.99 new, they also had some offroad PS2 racer for $48.99 used. $1 under the new price was a deal?

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Is this place right on Broadway in Manhattan? My wife and I were just in NYC a couple weeks ago, and she broke her phone charger, so we went into one of those many electronics stores right on Broadway. Her phone was dead in the hotel, but we knew what charger it took. The owner/manager was completely rude saying we needed to bring the dead phone in so we could match the charger. After arguing a bit with him (yes, he was arguing with a customer), I noticed the price he had marked on Wii Mario Kart, like $90, and just got out of there.[/quote]

I'm not sure how those stores actually fool people into buying their outrageously overpriced items. There are a ton of them in Manhattan, and they're all just as bad. Perhaps they rely on foreigners and foolish tourists. I've never set foot in one, although I've always been curious, since I've heard stories of people finding goldmines of old games from time to time.

As far as worst deal I've ever seen, I'd have to say things like the Golden Lancer code going on eBay for $40+ or LBP selling for $150 a week early. It's kind of absurd, if you ask me.

At a flea market this past summer, I seen a guy selling an xbox, not 360, for $250. No games, and 1 controller.

[quote name='SaraAB']
Seeing copies of Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green for 29.99+ at gamestop at one point, not sure of their prices now. These 2 titles went GBA players choice and cost 19.99 new at one point so buying a used copy for more than 19.99 is a total ripoff.[/quote]

at least i bought Firered and leafgreen When they were new at 49.99

I Bought firered at EB For 49.99 And leafgreen at toys r us for 51.99

[quote name='GameBoyee']at least i bought Firered and leafgreen When they were new at 49.99

I Bought firered at EB For 49.99 And leafgreen at toys r us for 51.99[/quote]

Don't you mean you found them behind the vending machine?

No respectable New York City person actually shops in the city, they just take a ride to Jersey, which makes us natives shop at the local stores, haha.

Well, during Black Friday some guy was next to me rushing towards the game section at target and I thought he would risk his life for some good game deals but he grabbed 3 non sale games....Full Price as well. He waited in line for several hours for full priced games.

Just striked me as odd.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Is this place right on Broadway in Manhattan? My wife and I were just in NYC a couple weeks ago, and she broke her phone charger, so we went into one of those many electronics stores right on Broadway. Her phone was dead in the hotel, but we knew what charger it took. The owner/manager was completely rude saying we needed to bring the dead phone in so we could match the charger. After arguing a bit with him (yes, he was arguing with a customer), I noticed the price he had marked on Wii Mario Kart, like $90, and just got out of there.[/quote]

I think that was the same place that wanted 100 dollars for a kodak rechargeable battery. The only reason why those places stay in business is because of all the overseas tourists who bring there mega bucks don't know what is a good deal around the city.

[quote name='the_punisher']My Toys R Us sells new PS3 and 360 games for $69.99, and Wii and PS2 for $59.99.[/quote]

You know you can report that to district right?

[quote name='evanft']Don't you mean you found them behind the vending machine?[/quote]

I was just joking about that (the vending machine incident never happend,you guys are so gullable)

[quote name='the_punisher']My Toys R Us sells new PS3 and 360 games for $69.99, and Wii and PS2 for $59.99.[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of when TRU would charge AT LEAST 20$ over MSRP for any (console) Pokemon game. Obviously that doesn't go on now but the fact that they would try to rip people off like that was extra sleezy when you could buy the same thing at the store down the street for less. They had Pokemon Colosseum for 70$ when Gamestop had it for 50$ and Pokemon Channel for 50$ when that was a 29.99 game right from the start.

I think I saw Kmart trying to charge 60$ for a couple Zelda gamecube games as well when MSRP on those was 49.99.

Another bad deal I just saw recently was some idiot on ebay paying over 46$ (I didn't see what the auction ended at) for a Wii game called PBR: Out of the Chute. Its shovelware too but the retail price on it is 19.99 and there are many copies sitting in stores in my area.

[quote name='SaraAB']This reminds me of when TRU would charge AT LEAST 20$ over MSRP for any (console) Pokemon game. Obviously that doesn't go on now but the fact that they would try to rip people off like that was extra sleezy when you could buy the same thing at the store down the street for less. They had Pokemon Colosseum for 70$ when Gamestop had it for 50$ and Pokemon Channel for 50$ when that was a 29.99 game right from the start.[/quote]

I bought pokemon leafgreen For 51.99 New At toys r us In canada.

[quote name='Malik112099']HDMI cables at Best Buy[/quote]:lol::applause:

Actually the HDMI cables at just about any B&M electronics store...

I was personally involved in one several years ago when I was still collecting football cards. The year that Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were drafted I was at the card shop and I pulled a Leaf rookie from a pack. This chick and her boyfriend were standing next to me. He offered to trade his Peyton Manning rookie for my Ryan Leaf because his gf thought he was cute...

At the time it was an even trade but of course looking back today the guy got raped!

If we're talking all time, I went to get a NES Advantage when I was a kid at K-Mart after saving up for two months only to find it mispriced for 249.99 in the camera case. The placard said that it was for a camera but the electronics counter still "corrected" the price of the controller to 249 when I tried to buy it. I had to have my mom yell at them and get the manager before they sold it to me for retail.

Other than that, my friend and I were in San Fran two weeks ago and there was a store in the mall selling Hulk, GI Joe, and Iron Man figures for $50 - $100. When we asked him why he sold them for so much considering they were currently in stock at the Target attached to the mall two stores down, he said he was independent and couldn't afford to buy in bulk like Target. When we asked why he didn't just go buy them at Target directly and mark it up a few bucks, he yelled something in another language to the back room and a guy went over to Target. No shit. :lol:

[quote name='GameBoyee']I bought pokemon leafgreen For 51.99 New At toys r us In canada.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to TRU stores in America. I am not sure about Canadian prices at the time, but they are usually higher than American prices.

[quote name='SaraAB']I was referring to TRU stores in America. I am not sure about Canadian prices at the time, but they are usually higher than American prices.[/QUOTE]

It was 51.99 After tax i think it was

The MSRP Was 49.99 New

[quote name='GameBoyee']It was 51.99 After tax i think it was

The MSRP Was 49.99 New[/quote]

NO its $48.99

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

bread's done
Back