Worst Final Fantasy Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved VIII. It was personally my favorite one out of the series. Although that could change if I ever get to finishing XII. But since my PS2 died last winter, I'll have to settle for the first 11. If XI was an available choice, it would be my pick.

[quote name='SL4IN']I personally don't know, but I've heard it numerous times that VIII was the worst story wise with II being the worst gameplay mechanic wise.[/QUOTE]
That's about right. The junction system in VIII did suck, but nowhere near as broken as II's gameplay. It was the story in VIII that made my head explode. Everything from Squall's emo BS, to the gaping plotholes, to the tacked on love story, to the deus ex machina (same orphanage, wtf!?) all just came together to form a trainwreck of epic proportions.

Also it had nothing to do with VII for me. Yes, I'm one of those people who didn't think VII was that good. I liked it, but definitely didn't think it was a great game. I haven't really liked a FF since IV.

Isn't it kind of unfair to put Tactics on this list? It's not really a Final Fantasy game at all...

EDIT: I tried to hold back, but I can't... The Materia system in VII is stupid, easy, and utterly backwards from what an RPG system ought to be. I'll agree with VIII being one of, if not the, worst game in the series, but at least the Junction System prevented you from FFVII's EVERYONE IS A MAGE syndrome, since everyone can learn any spell in the game, ever.

Having said that, from X and on, you can't customize jack shit, though you must go through the actions all the same... RPG, my ass.

I voted 9 because it's the only one I started and refuse to finish. It's the only RPG I've ever hit the "you should have saved sooner because now you're fucked and trapped" issue.

I disliked 7 too. I'm happy it exists, as it propelled the genre a bit, but it does nothing for me. 8 was great, 12 was amazing.

FF8 with FF7 a damn close second. FF2 would be next in line. I stopped playing after 10(so, no x-2, 11 or 12) but am considering taking the dive into 12 if I can make some segway into my backlog.

FF Tactics is my favorite far and away.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Isn't it kind of unfair to put Tactics on this list? It's not really a Final Fantasy game at all...

EDIT: I tried to hold back, but I can't... The Materia system in VII is stupid, easy, and utterly backwards from what an RPG system ought to be. I'll agree with VIII being one of, if not the, worst game in the series, but at least the Junction System prevented you from FFVII's EVERYONE IS A MAGE syndrome, since everyone can learn any spell in the game, ever.

Having said that, from X and on, you can't customize jack shit, though you must go through the actions all the same... RPG, my ass.[/QUOTE]

I thought FFX provided the perfect ability to take your characters where you want on the sphere grid while still keeping distinct roles for them for the parts of the game where it mattered. Really the best of both. The battles also necessitated this design since many enemies had a specific character's ability as a weakness. The need for deep customization also was reduced since you could bring in any character at any time in battle, making battles more about the group, rather than having to focus on 3-4 characters and let the others rot, like happens in almost every other FF game.

[quote name='jer7583']I thought FFX provided the perfect ability to take your characters where you want on the sphere grid while still keeping distinct roles for them for the parts of the game where it mattered. Really the best of both. The battles also necessitated this design since many enemies had a specific character's ability as a weakness. The need for deep customization also was reduced since you could bring in any character at any time in battle, making battles more about the group, rather than having to focus on 3-4 characters and let the others rot, like happens in almost every other FF game.[/quote]

I will admit that FFX had potential to do that. However, the Sphere Grid involved very few cross-roads - there was no way to actually "take your characters" places - it was more or less a linear progress, utterly devoid of decision-making, and even once you had a choice, the pathways provided no variety.

Don't believe me? Load up your old FFX file, and see how your guys progressed. Do it again, and try something different?

You know what you'll see you're missing from the get go? That Lvl. 3 Orb that would let you go elsewhere.

Thinking about it Vivi has to be the most cheapest character in all the entire series. By logic she is just a blackmage sprite. Think about it.

Then there is FF8 that made absolutely no sense besides the apocoolypse and millenium.

Lets not forget about FF7 that promised so many things but failed in may areas.

Lastly the PS2 games that had speech.

FF stop being fun when it wented to 3d and then when they had speech.

Final Fantasy 11 was the worst Final Fantasy game. It had network play, races, and add-on packs. The only thing worst then FF11 is the new Shadowrun.

FF2 for me was the worst.
There was no explanation at all for why Leon betrayed the party who he supposedly lived with for all of his life.
The balance of enemies was also way off in that game.

FF9 was solid but the I didn't feel the the whole game was greater than the sum of its parts. Towards the end I felt like I was obligated to finish it, rather than because I wanted to. Also I missed a whole bunch of crap that I can't go back and get.

FF8 was my favorite. I have beaten it more than once. I have also beat 7 a couple of times. I beat 4 5 and 6 once, 9 once, and 10 once. I have also beaten FFT a couple times and FFTA once.

My least favorite was 1. I prefer dragon warrior to it.

I guess I was unjaded enough with 8 that the story overrode the somewhat annoying draw system.

I find it interesting how when I was younger I could stand bad games just because I loved games, later on I became extremely jaded after playing so many games and would touch nothing but the best, then I learned paitence and developed a complex for forcing myself to complete a game that otherwise frustrated me. I am better because of it, some games just need a chance.

What does the future hold?

Why is FF12 not on the list? Do people just disqualify it because it is not "final-fantasy-ee" enough?

I didn't really hate the concept of the Junction system

FFIV

You all was asigned classes automatically and learned your abilities but if changing class you would lose all previous abilities.

FFV

You had crsytal pieces and anybody that had a certain crystal would gain that job class. After awhile you learn some of that job and then you could switch crystals and learn another job.

FFVI No summoners in this game but it was a random event triggered by item or even the gambler setzer class.

you all were automatically asigned a class you then was able junction espers or anything else threw magicite where you will learn various magic abilities afterwards. Kefka also junctioned himself in the game.

FFVII

Those crystals that was made from time to time have espers and other various magic abilities inside them. Threw them you could gain various call ups and magic abilities.

FFVIII

You only junctioned to gain defense and this is why the game was hard for so many people. You then had to withdraw abilities from animals and other various enemies who can use them naturally.

FFIX Summoning returns

You all was automatically asigned classes. You had armor that allowed to get various abilities, magic, and calls.

In my situation, the very original FF, because it had no story. I didn't start playing FF until FFIV. Because of that, I just can't get into the first one.

As for 3D FF games, the worst for me is FFXII. I originally hated FFX-2 in some ways (although I absolutely loved X), but I like X-2 much more now after playing XII.

FF8 was so awful. Combat system was terrible, story was annoying as shit and why in the fuck do I have to drive a fucking building around the entire game? Absolute garbage. FF2, FF7 and FF10 are the ones I enjoyed the most.

01.jpg
http://www.ff-fan.com/ffmq/images/box/full/01.jpg

[quote name='Mookyjooky']
01.jpg
[/quote]

God I totally forgot about that one. You win hands down. Mystic Quest was so bad I think I managed to relegate all memory of it to the dark recesses of my mind...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']In all fairness, Mystic Quest wasn't meant for people like us. It was an easy as hell RPG meant to introduce non-RPG players to the genre.[/quote]

If you had said "...meant to introduce mentalliy handicapped meekrats to the genre." I would have agreed ;)

FF:Mystic Quest is one of my all time favs.

The music, the characters, and the world itself was good enough to call a Final Fantasy game. They even had cid and a chocobo ( a chocobo sign ).

When you attack an enemy after awhile they start to show weakness. Never have I seen any other RPG game display this in US games.

The game also gives you the option of using bars or numbers. Allows you to summon confusion. You even have a rival that you can battle for most part of the game and a secret way to defeat the last foe.

To compare this game you should compare it to the original Final Fantasy game and not to mainstream of Sqaure Japan games.

In all fairness, Mystic Quest wasn't meant for people like us. It was an easy as hell RPG meant to introduce non-RPG players to the genre.

Well I disbelieve that. In Super Mario RPG they actually explained what a timed attack is to a critical hit.

FF:MQ was made the auctually make use of SqaureSoft USA. Since they do practically nothing besides Secret Of Evermore and more recently KIngdom Hearts.

[quote name='The Crotch']I like how every sentence this poster makes, while not actually total nonsense, does not really have much to do with what we were talking about and/or is just plain wrong.[/QUOTE]

I like how this thread was revived after a few year death and kept on going as if nothing happened. :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']I like how this thread was revived after a few year death and kept on going as if nothing happened. :lol:[/quote]

Yeah wasn't this topic started half a dozen Final Fantasies ago (judging by the first post)?

[quote name='gamegal']Well I disbelieve that. In Super Mario RPG they actually explained what a timed attack is to a critical hit. [/quote]
It even says it on the box: "Entry level role-playing game."

I wouldve voted FF 11 but didnt see it listed. My least favorite was easily 10. Every year they go on the more videos they add to the games. RPG used to be games you play not sit and watch for half the game.

[quote name='musha666']I wouldve voted FF 11 but didnt see it listed. My least favorite was easily 10. Every year they go on the more videos they add to the games. RPG used to be games you play not sit and watch for half the game.[/quote]

Final Fantasy XII was terrible...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It even says it on the box: "Entry level role-playing game."[/quote]

Which kid is going read the little advertisment that is on any SNES box.

Did you really read the box and said "oh well I am a well exprienced level 9 bomber". No you did not you saw the words Final Fantasy glared at the armor and said something that had nothing to related to the series* then the parents just stared at the cover and thought of Highlander.

Yes I could not resist the armor.

* Of course in American nobody knew what was a Final Fantasy during this time.

[quote name='gamegal']Which kid is going read the little advertisment that is on any SNES box.

Did you really read the box and said "oh well I am a well exprienced level 9 bomber". No you did not you saw the words Final Fantasy glared at the armor and said something that had nothing to related to the series* then the parents just stared at the cover and thought of Highlander.

* Of course in American nobody knew what was a Final Fantasy during this time.[/QUOTE]
That's hilarious. What you said was coherant, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the original point.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']In all fairness, Mystic Quest wasn't meant for people like us. It was an easy as hell RPG meant to introduce non-RPG players to the genre.[/QUOTE]

Well it did it's job pretty well, as it introduced me and my friends to real RPGs. Before hand, all we had to go on were action-RPGs, such as the Legend of Zelda series.

Regardless, it ties with FFII as hands-down the worst Final Fantasy of all time.

[quote name='Apossum']I like how this thread was revived after a few year death and kept on going as if nothing happened. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I cared, I did shed a tear for the old CAG. That and I noticed that Starmask actually produced a coherent post, then I realized that was actually me posting, under his name :lol:

6. Definitely 6. Piece of shit...

Well it's easy now that 2 and 3 are lumped together. They both suck. 1 sucks, too, but 2 sucks more and 3 is $40 and sucks, which is insulting. So... 2/3.

regalsin returns?

I still say 2. I need to get that abomination out of my house. I foolishly bought both FFs for PSP.

2 (with its stupid leveling system) and 3 (hey let's have mobs kill you in 2 hits after you leave the first level) make FF8 look like game of the decade.

[quote name='gamegal']Which kid is going read the little advertisment that is on any SNES box.

* Of course in American nobody knew what was a Final Fantasy during this time.[/quote]

Whit? We already had this schtick show up twice on the boards.

My favorite would have to be 8. Most people hated it because they didn't understand what they were doing when they had to junction magic. It required them to think (imagine that a game requiring you to think). Now i'm not saying this is why everyone hated it but everyone that i have talked to gave this as their reason.

As for worst, i would have to choose 9. I really just couldn't get into it.

And for the worst final fantasy games (in my opinion) not on this list are Final Fantasy 12 and Crystal Chronicles. Crystal Chronicles you just did the same thing over and over again. 12 i hated the story line.

I absolutely loved FFX and it still remains to be one of my favorite games last gen. I didn't like it as much as FFVII or FFIX though, but it was definitely my third favorite.

I liked FFVIII more than most, but I didn't like some of the gameplay elements (such as finding parts for weapons, draw points, etc.). The soundtrack is still my 1st or 2nd favorite in the series and the storyline rocked.

Like I always say, FFVII is by far my favorite. I just love that game and every FFVII spin-off too.

fftactics advance i won't even acknowledge as being a square title. FF8/5 tie as being my least favorite of the core ff titles. The junction system in 8 pissed me off, and 5 was just a chore to play through to me. 5 still remains the only numbered FF game I haven't beaten. I hated how vague and ambiguous it was in finding where to go next. I got through about 80% of the game according to my friend who beat it, but i'm in no rush to ever go back and finish it.

FF8. No question. Worst plot twist ever.
"You remember how our entire party grew up together in an orphanage but we all forgot about it because these GFs mess up our long term memory? Edea, one of our main enemies, raised us too! What are the odds of this? Haha! Look at me, I'm a dipshit cowboy."
fuck you, Square. Seriously. fuck you.

Oh, and the GF system was broken as hell (you rarely needed to do anything other than summon shit), and "drawing" magic was a fucking colossal waste of time. FF7 was excellent, but FF8 let me down in virtually every aspect.

The only reason the Junction system is broken is because it allows you to buff your party without leveling in a game where the enemies' level and strength is based on your level. Play it right with junctions and you can crush bosses with a few normal attacks in FF8 regularly.

Drawing was enjoyable because it basically condensed the whole level grinding experience into a few battles. Instead of wandering and fighting lots of battles, you get a ton of spells from each battle and fight fewer.

As for the story elements, it was a cop-out, but also was alluded to in several places that GF caused memory loss. It's also not that much of a stretch that the people from the orphanage ended up in SeeD, since matron's husband started SeeD. Edea being controlled by a greater, hidden evil is a very typical JRPG stereotype that many games perpetuate. FF8 does have one of the weakest main villains in the series, I'll give you that. It's actually a lot like FF5's exdeath, this nebulous creature that comes out of nowhere from another dimension and suddenly you hate him. Give me Kefka or Sephiroth or even Sin anyday.

I'm replaying FF8 and I don't think it deserves the hate it gets. Most of that hate is the result of the huge changes made to the tone and gameplay after the hugely successful FF7 introduced so many new players with expectations built from FF7.

Can't vote in the poll since 2/3 are lumped together as are X and X-2.

Problem is, of the ones I've played the worst is a toss up between 2 and X-2. I liked FFX, but hated X2. Hated FF2 but have never played 3.

Didn't care for 8 either.

Haven't played 3, 4, 5, 9, or 12.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I wonder how much of the front loaded-ness in the poll is due to some number of people not having played the earlier ones so much.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure I've played all of the lower number ones on this list in one form or another, but I gave them a bit of leeway due to their age. While I sure has hell wouldn't want to waste time playing FFI ever again, that's because it is outdated - I voted for FFIX because I found it hopelessly boring even when it was new.

[quote name='Dandeschain']I don't think I'll ever understand the hate that VIII gets.[/quote]One word: draw.

Yep, the draw system sucked. I quit at the final boss. I just wasn't leveled up enough for it, and I didn't like the game enough to go level grind for a few hours to beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back