would it have been so hard to map R to complement the c-stick for weapons....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pukemon

CAGiversary!
and the c-stick used by itself to look? metroid is cool and all, and i'm used to the controls but i still fucking fuck up every once in awhile. damn you retro. give us the option of controls for mp2.

[quote name='pukemon']and the c-stick used by itself to look? metroid is cool and all, and i'm used to the controls but i still shaq-fuing shaq-fu up every once in awhile. damn you retro. give us the option of controls for mp2.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd rather have had at least an option for standard FPS controls. I got used to the controls in MP1, but if the multiplayer is supposed to be fast a all in Echos something is going to have to change.

Metroid Prime ISN'T a FPS, though. I think Retro was trying to force you into realizing that with their somewhat unique control scheme

i know it's not fps, but it's inconvenient against some enemies and bosses how the control scheme is.

So, because they made it an FPS but wanted everyone to believe it's was adventure they saddled us with that clunky control scheme? Err! I'll get them!

When I got my GC it was during the buy a sytem get a game promotion. So I got Metroid. Now I'm a HUGH FPS fan so imagine my surprise when I discovered the controlls were as off as they were. I gave the game a chance, but in the end I couldn't play it. I think that the problem lies in the fact that the game was dfeveloped by a Japanese company. Now hear me out before reacting.

FPS are an American institution - have been since Wolf 3d - I think we just take for granted that developers will have had a long history with FPS games and know the basics of the controll sceme.

FPS are not very popular in Japan - it's a largly ignored section of the game industry there. The developers probably had never played Q3A online or had marathon Golden Eye sessions with friends. I think that's why the controls were so different.

It's like if an American company were to make a dating sim...

I don't think it was developed by a Japanese company. Retro is Texas based and round-eye staffed, I'd assume.

isn't retro austin, tx based? i think it's american made. i tink nintendo wanted the controls as they are to distinguish as a FPA. bullshit if you ask me. it's still an adventure with crap for controls. it's only compounded by the fact i bought ts2 for gc and halo after i beat this badass game with sorry ass controls. you still could've labeled it FPA with FPS controls dammit!

Retro isnt actually japanese because I actualy got into an argument with one of the programers on a differnt forum over the whole first person thing.

The thing is they didnt WANT it to be a true FPS they wanted it to be an adventure game so dispite the first person view it's not ment to be played the way you'd play a FPS. You're supposed to deliberatly either walk forward/back or strafe and jump and face your enemy one on one, thats why you have the lock on so you dont have to concentrate on looking all around for an enemy.

Honestly I fucking hate FPS games with a burning passion because I get motion sickness from mouselook controls, but I can actually play MP for extended periods because of the designed slow pace (yes even for bosses fighting is a deliberate process). Would I have preferred a 3rd person veiw? With every fiber of my being and the fibers of every living creature in a 100 mile radius, but thats not what we got, but atleast what we got dosent totally alienate the original fans because it's almost designed like Super Metroid in 3D.

If they didn't want it to be an FPS they really shouldn't have made you fight enemies in every room you walk into, then. People can call it whatever they want. It's a FPS with adventure elements, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still an FPS. Deathmatch in Echos only drives the point home further, so I hope they offer the choice of correct controls for the genre in Echos.

fully customizable options should be par for every game these days. why developers haven't figured that out is ridiculous. capcom is very guilty of this especially with mmac.

[quote name='pukemon']fully customizable options should be par for every game these days. why developers haven't figured that out is ridiculous. capcom is very guilty of this especially with mmac.[/quote]

Capcom's insistance in using RE's flawed control scheme all these times points to them hating gamers for some reason.

[quote name='DenisDFat']Would it have been so hard for them to make a metroid game that didn't suck?

for Retro, yes.[/quote]

Zero Mission and the original Metroid suck far more

Personally after hating the controls for a long time I finally began to get used to them and I love Metroid Prime. I probably am going to play it tomorrow.

[quote name='alongx']Metroid Prime ISN'T a FPS, though. I think Retro was trying to force you into realizing that with their somewhat unique control scheme[/quote]

I never reallly thought about that. Good point there

[quote name='DenisDFat']Would it have been so hard for them to make a metroid game that didn't suck?

for Retro, yes.[/quote]

And the troll is loose again....

OK, my theory on the developer is a bust (though not a bad theory)

Maybe retro just thought they could do it better...

...and then fail miserably.

for Retro, yes.[/quote]

and what metroid game sucks?

[quote name='DenisDFat']metroid Prime
Things that suck: Fisrt person Shooters, Stealth, metal Gear, Silicon Knights, Realism, Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 10, 10-2, CC, Metroid Prime, Ketchup, Mayonaisse, pickles, vinegar, Electronic Arts, Sports games, Sega sports, Sonic, ham, Retro, Walgreens, "mature" games, Superficial women, meatloaf, the matrix, Racing games, hot dogs, eggs, mustard, lettuce, peppers, beans, alchohol, your mother, ocarina of time, blondes, sunshine, mosquitoes, milk, 3d platformers, DiGiorno pizza
[/quote]

hmmm. seeing your sig, bad spelling, lack of taste, your sexual preference avatar, and the fact some people think you're a troll, i'd have to say you're communist and i'm almost tempted to change my sig just for you. it'd go something like denisdfat sucks. his mama's wee wee.

Too bad Prime's fantastic. If you quit looking at it like it's an FPS, you just might enjoy it.

You're playing it wrong.

[quote name='Sartori']Too bad Prime's fantastic. If you quit looking at it like it's an FPS, you just might enjoy it.

You're playing it wrong.[/quote]

talking to me? or the commie bastard? i enjoyed metroid prime just fine. i just didn't enjoy the controls and the lack of options for it. aside from that, it has been one of the most enjoyable games this generation.

Not you, primarily the guy who jumped on the "developed by Japanese company which is why the feel is wrong". That was awesome. I almost fell out of my chair.

[quote name='Sartori']Not you, primarily the guy who jumped on the "developed by Japanese company which is why the feel is wrong". That was awesome. I almost fell out of my chair.[/quote]

right. when cheapyd comes back from japan, this website will have a japanese feel to it, and it just won't be right anymore.

Ok. I'm the guy who said bla bla Japan bla bla...

I'll just remember this when ever anybody complains that Company X is terrible at making RPG's because they tried to hard to make it Japanese like but just didn't get it... :wink:

Besides it was just a THEORY - Bigfoot playing poker with Nixon is a THEORY.

Now the theory isn't TOO unreasonable anyway - check out engrish.com for inept japanese americanism...

[quote name='Sartori']Not you, primarily the guy who jumped on the "developed by Japanese company which is why the feel is wrong". That was awesome. I almost fell out of my chair.[/quote]

that was pretty funny.

Personally I found the controls to be tight and very responsive. Allowing a change in the controls would allow for a fundamental shift in the focus of how the game is meant to be played

1. I spell better than you.

2. It was developed by an american team, an American team that killed metroid.

3. I played it as a metroid game, and as a metroid game it fails. First person perspective is stupid for games.

[quote name='peteloaf']Ok. I'm the guy who said bla bla Japan bla bla...

I'll just remember this when ever anybody complains that Company X is terrible at making RPG's because they tried to hard to make it Japanese like but just didn't get it... :wink:

Now the theory isn't TOO unreasonable anyway - check out engrish.com for inept japanese americanism...[/quote]

Well, don't get me wrong.. I can't stand American excuses for "RPGs", I just loved the comment ;-).

And I'm going to completely ignore Dennis, he seems pretty ignorant in more ways than one.

Like I said I never had much of a problem with combat in MP, with the lock on feature you get to straife around your target aslong as you keep them in visual range, it certainly makes things easier.

This is just a case of juvenile jackasses that can't adapt. Metroid Prime is one of the best games of all time at this point. The reviews back it, and the fans back it. Just because a few of you pussies have found each other on this board and have decided to collectively blame your lack of skill on the controls, doesn't mean the game sucks. It just means that you do.

[quote name='"Sartori']
And I'm going to completely ignore Dennis, he seems pretty ignorant in more ways than one.[/quote]

Well of course, If you check his sig he hates ham! HAM!!! God's gift to man!!!

Unless your Jewsih or Vegetarian - in which case it's God's cruel joke :wink: J/K everybody's eating habit is there own thing, wether it be health, faith, or whatever it's all good...

[quote name='DenisDFat']1. I spell better than you.

2. It was developed by an american team, an American team that killed metroid.

3. I played it as a metroid game, and as a metroid game it fails. First person perspective is stupid for games.[/quote]

it's your opinion just as mine was too. an opinion in the very very small minority. your fps opinion is in an even smaller minority.

btw, can anybody else spot the 3 misspelled words in fatty's sig?

I should really play Metroid Prime again. It was hella fun, but I need to go back and get all the scans.

Also, on US vs. Japanese RPGs: please go play Anachronox before claiming that we can't make a good Japanese style RPG. It's really quite brilliant.

[quote name='peteloaf']Ok. I'm the guy who said bla bla Japan bla bla...

Now the theory isn't TOO unreasonable anyway - check out engrish.com for inept japanese americanism...[/quote]

um, we were just poking fun at your ignorance about who and what background developed the game. not your "theory". btw, lots of companies are terrible at making rpg's. japanese developers included.

[quote name='peteloaf']Can't we all at least agree on one thing:

Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.[/quote]

Compared to Worcestershire sauce, I suppose.

[quote name='Alpha2']Like I said I never had much of a problem with combat in MP, with the lock on feature you get to straife around your target aslong as you keep them in visual range, it certainly makes things easier.[/quote]

i'm not complaining about the lock on. i'm complaining about the R button and weapon change control. the lock on is fine and needed. it's just more tedious to have to stop to aim or look around with R when it should/could have been like traditional first person and R + c-stick to change weapons.

[quote name='DenisDFat']http://www.retrostudios.com/

what's this? The sound of me being correct again? I think so.[/quote]

correct about what. sounds like you being ignorant again.

[quote name='Ledhed']fisrt, mayonaisse, alchohol

All spelled as DDF spelled them.[/quote]

you win a cookie ledhed. wtg.

[quote name='pukemon']you win a cookie ledhed. wtg.[/quote]

Bitchin'. I'm actually eating some chocolate chip at the moment, so I'm good on cookies. Got any games that you wanna give me?

i got a deck of cards denisdfat gave me. i doubt you want them though. i think there are trannies on them. i'm too scared to open them and find out.

[quote name='pukemon']i got a deck of cards denisdfat gave me. i doubt you want them though. i think there are trannies on them. i'm too scared to open them and find out.[/quote]

Thanks, but no thanks. anything owned by DDF surely has the musky stink of hate all over them.

do you hate yourself denis? you use hate and suck every other word. and how can you hate the new zelda? nobody's played it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back