Would you do this for your girlfriend?

NintendoFanGirl

CAGiversary!
Let's say you both play an online game together. Let's also say there's this competition that is available in the game that helps you earn stuff, but your gf gets scared when she does it, but you are really good at it. Pretend you already have most of that stuff because you do it for yourself all the time, and she has none of it. What if your gf begged, pleaded, bribed, whatever, for you to do it for her while she is at work, to help her. What if this is the one and only thing she's ever asked you to do for her, would you do it?

Trying to figure out what the downside of this is.

I suppose maybe not having a job, since apparently "I" can do it while she's at work.

Shiiiyat, if I don't have a job and she does, I BETTER be doing her favors.

Let's just say, this guy works in an internet cafe so his job is playing online games 10 hrs a day, six days a week. So yeah, he has the time. What does he get for it? Well, he's made her happy and done something selfless. She has never asked for anything else yet has given him many gifts, IRL and in-game.

whats with all the cloak and dagger stuff in this post?

its almost as bad as.. "me.. I mean, my friend.. likes this girl... what can he do to get her to notice me... I mean him?"

just come out with it and ask the question

It's called a "hypothetical" question so yeah, the question is pretty straight forward. Doesn't look like anyone else had any trouble understanding what I was asking.
Anyways, it looks like it almost unanimous, that this is something most guys would do for their gf. Good to know :)

Depends how tedious the task was and how long it would take, but most likely I would do it.

Now NintendoFanGirl, what is the real reason why you asked this question?

Only maybe. Depends on how long it takes, and how bored I was. It's just a game after all.

I want to know what's scary about it.

Lots of factors to consider, but the overall answer is probably yes coming from me.

For example, what's my reward? Is it just her satisfaction/happiness? I mean that's enough of course, but are there added benefits? I think everyone here is thinking the same thing. I mean, do I get a sammich or a pie? Does she get in the kitchen and make me a damn sammich? 'Cuz that'd be swell.

Gf played through Paper Mario, for example, a few months ago. There were only a few times where she asked me to help her through it (usually during puzzles, actually). I always gave her crap about it, but I always helped her through them. The fact that she played through 95% or so of the game without my help makes me happy. So I'm always willing to tell her that I enjoy seeing her share my hobby, especially when she does it autonomously.

I have to admit I'm intrigued. "Scared" is an odd word given this context.

Rocko, why do you seem so convinced there is something hidden behind this? No, there really isn't. Maybe it is about my situation, but I think it sounds better as a hypothetical question :) No, he wouldn't lose his job because he is free to do whatever he wants, as long as it doesn't interfere when customers come in. He actually went in on his day off over the weekend just to do it for himself.
As for scared, I tend to mess up when I'm under pressure and do stupid things, which causes me to lose. I didn't think I was asking too much of him to help me out since I know he can do it and actually enjoys it.
As for benefits for him, how about knowing he is getting Smash soon and a free Wii.

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']Rocko, why do you seem so convinced there is something hidden behind this? No, there really isn't. Maybe it is about my situation, but I think it sounds better as a hypothetical question :) No, he wouldn't lose his job because he is free to do whatever he wants, as long as it doesn't interfere when customers come in. He actually went in on his day off over the weekend just to do it for himself and did nothing for me.[/QUOTE]

What? Dump him. He should be OFFERING to help you. You shouldn't have to ask. Find a new boyfriend.

[quote name='keithp']What? Dump him. He should be OFFERING to help you. You shouldn't have to ask. Find a new boyfriend.[/quote]

...:rofl:

I'm skeptical because it seems too simple to not do. Unless, of course, he could sell this reward or something, or he uses his time for his own benefit and he is really into the game. Then I could see him being reluctant to do it.

...You should just do it yourself, though.

Better question is why WOULDN'T you do that for your gf?

Hello....brownie points...aka 1-UPS for relationship f-ups

I don't understand how "everyone else I talked to would do it, so you are a weirdo if you don't do it" is supposed to convince someone. You are dating this guy for who he is, not who you want him to be

So you want him to run battlegrounds for you in WoW? That is a HUGE timesink depending on what you are wanting. Personally, I wouldn't do ALL of it. I might help out every now and then, but you need to learn how to do it on your own. If that makes you freak out then the real world must make your head explode.

I play wow too and have no problem doing my own battlegrounds. A matter of fact, I enjoy doing it myself. I would never ask someone to do something for me that I can do on my own.

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']I play wow too and have no problem doing my own battlegrounds. A matter of fact, I enjoy doing it myself. I would never ask someone to do something for me that I can do on my own.[/QUOTE]

So what is it that needs to be done? That, if you ask me, is a huge part of the question.

NintendoFanGirl wanted her boyfriend to get all 120 stars in Mario Galaxy and he said fuck no so now she's pissed and wondering if it's something we'd do for our girlfriends.

If the guy has all the time in the world, I don't see why he wouldn't do it, especially if he likes doing it. Like someone previously said, it just seems he is being selfish.

I'm honestly stumped. I have no idea what the question is about. I play WoW, and if you're asking if I'd take a girlfriend's character to Black Temple and gear her out because she wants the gear.... then I'd have to say.... what kind of girlfriend isn't running side by side with their man and is up to his caliber? If it's a time thing, and she can't be on as much as him,... what really is the point of getting the gear, when she'll never exploit it? Why would she mess with his mind and only play the game for him, and not attain the skill to get where she wants to be.... sounds like laziness on her part.
Any girl I date, that decides to play WoW with me, because SHE WANTS to would never have to ask for such things. Which means that it would be a pointless, empty gift to her, even if she asked for it.

Don't get me wrong, I go out of my way for total strangers, and for loved one's I'd most likely give my life. My logic though, however flawed you may see it is, playing TOGETHER and EARNING the skills and gear, side by side would be much more satisfying to both parties.

What I think an ideal gift for an MMO player would be, that doesn't scream shallowness, is something that doesn't take things to some obscure reality, where a power leveled, persona leech would go. Such as, for example, the Spectral Tiger mount card, or some fancy memento that can be bought without succumbing to a blind urge for momentary greatness. She will keep her dignity, and pride in the character she plays, while being able to show off her new gifts from her love.

Seriously, when I see people that pay to get on arena teams to get gear, or buy accounts online... I think of how, even though it's a game, it truly reflects the petty, unscrupulous nature of the person.

I know a retard, whose wife refuses to play, unless he is at least 5 levels lower than her. Tripping off of that power, she truly believes that she is a better player than him, and others. While he pussyfoots around, secretly running alts behind her back as she sleeps, just to keep some dignity. Point is, she claims to play for herself, but it's mainly another means to push him farther down under her boot.

My advice is to pretend that he has feelings, and expect something much more important than a virtual gift. No real man in love is thinking about what he can obtain for his woman in some ridiculous game.
Sure, I like games, but if a girl ever got me a game, I would be hurt that that is all she could muster.

If your question pertains to something different than what my mutant spiel amounted to, then please ask it more vividly, as I am a feeble minded tart myself.

EDIT: Only read the initial post,.... so it IS WoW... LOL

Yes, I think he is selfish, but wanted to get male opinions. He is in the game as we speak doing it for himself. I'm so shocked. :/

I play wow on my own and have never asked him to run an instance, bg, buy me something, etc. I've been playing it for about three years, long before I met him.
Just clarifying that.

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl'] I would never ask someone to do something for me that I can do on my own.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that EXACTLY what you're doing??? Why can't you do it for yourself? And being "scared" isn't a reason.

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']Yes, I think he is selfish, but wanted to get male opinions. He is in the game as we speak doing it for himself. I'm so shocked. :/[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is selfish. I think its selfish of you to want/expect him to do it for you.

What is it that you are so "scared" of?

for some reason i have a feeling that this has nothing to do with video games, just the over emphasis on being scared and how he even goes in on weekends to do this.

her bf is probably debo'ing shit from best buy while he's at work there and he wont steal shit for her or something.

If you were a good girlfriend you'd stop asking him to do stuff and start baking him a cake naked. And if he slaps you on the ass while you're baking the cake you say thank you.

In any relationship I find it impossible to believe one party has NEVER asked the other to do any favors.

I mean I asked my wife last night to bring me a glass of water since she was up making my dinner, and doing laundry....IKIK.

my boyfriend wouldn't. I know for a fact because I joined WoW a couple months ago because he was playing it and asked him to play with me... I even joined the same server. He played ten minutes with me. I'm now lvl 66 and he's lvl 40 but he has a couple characters.

What game/task/whatever it is would be nice to know.

[quote name='Strell']I bet this is a Kingdom of Loathing thing.

At least I'm calling it now.[/quote]

If it was Crimbo season and she didn't mention the 'scared' part I would think the same thing, actually. That crossed my mind.

Actually, there's a new area that recently opened up that she could be talking about if it weren't for the scared part. KoL isn't scary. :lol:

bread's done
Back