Would you recommend Alan Wake?

A no-brainer at $10. Could also pick it up used over at Gamefly for $12.99 - which would likely include The Signal DLC to boot.

Alan Wake is one of my favorite games of all time. My favorite Xbox 360 exclusive hands down. The game not only has a great original score, but the licensed songs in the game fit it so well. The dlc is very much worth playing. Just thinking about it makes me want to hear the soundtrack again.

It's not a bad game but it just wasn't my thing. Odd because I typically like horror stories and am a writer by trade. I didn't have much fun playing through it; the gameplay and story dragged in my opinion. Pretty sure I paid $10-20 for it.

Yes, GREAT game. I was hesitant to pick it up not thinking I would be able to get into it but I loved it. And for how cheap it is now there is no reason to not buy it.

I found it to be completely miserable, to the point in which I couldn't even finish it. The controls were horrible and I found it to be extremely boring. I'd spend the money on something coming out this fall/winter instead of looking back on this "gem" of a title.

for what it's worth, the Collector's Edition also has a Director's commentary unlock for more in-depth info.

hint: used copies with the bonus disc can unlock this feature. ;)

Yes, get the game. If you watched Twin Peaks or X-Files, then you'll probably love the game. I know I loved it. Playing with the commentary is a blast, as well.

This game was the one of the best single player games I've played on Xbox. It was worth every bit of $60 imo, it's a steal at $10.

If you want a gripping story then yes.

If you want a game with varying gameplay elements that doesn't get stale after a couple hours, then no.

I'll add to the thumbs up and say yes; definitely buy it. And considering that it's so cheap, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No other game has such an absorbing atmosphere, it really sucks you in. I find the 'too repetitive' comments strange. To me, ALL games are repetitive. You either like a certain game and it's gameplay, or you don't.

In Alan Wake's case, maybe it was too easy for a lot of people? When I first played through it, I selected the easiest setting and spent the whole time clutching the controller and peeing my panties. The AI of the enemies is brilliant, so it never got boring for me. They appear from everywhere, come at you fast, and will work as a team and flank you.

So yes, for 10 bucks, go for it. Rush through it in the afternoon and hate it. Or play it in the dark when you have the house to yourself and love it :)

Bought it when Amazon had the CE for $19.99 or something and it sat on my shelf for a while.
When I finally played it I kept wanting to pick it back up until I finished it.

Thought the story was good and the game sucked you in. Sure, the combat was a bit repetitive and not a whole lot too it but that didn't stop me from wanting to keep playing it until completion.

I want to go back and play it on Nightmare but I have a feeling that I'm not up to that challenge.

Playing in nightmare makes an almost new game because the way it requires you to play is more run and run instead of run shoot run. Great great game.

Yes! Still playing thru it and taking my time. I got it for $15 way back and it was a steal. I think I am near the end.

Okay thank you so to all who have commented and given their opinions. I'll be picking it up within the next week or so.

One last question. Is it sort of a horror game that scares you or creeps you out or is it just suppose to be intriguing?

I've always thought the game looked quite good, but I didn't think it was the kind of game I would enjoy playing.

I've been watching a new walkthrough videos online and it actually looks really good. Its super cheap also so I may get it eventually.

I'm glad to hear all these positive impressions. I plan to pick up the console this fall, especially if it comes with those rumored 5 downloadable games, one of which is Alan Wake.

[quote name='Alpha 176']
One last question. Is it sort of a horror game that scares you or creeps you out or is it just suppose to be intriguing?[/QUOTE]

I'd say a mix of heart pounding, creeping you out and intriguing, but really it depends on the person. I do recommend playing the game in the dark(like all horror games should be played!).

Yes, I really liked the game. The combat is nothing special, but at least it's not very difficult. Some of the best atmosphere in any game I've played.

Story is pretty compelling, but isn't resolved even with the DLC. So hopefully it gets a sequel. But even if it doesn't, still worth playing for the atmosphere etc.

Yes, it is one of 7 games I have 100% achievements on. I don't do that often, and I do it even less when the achievements have to do with game difficulty.

Another +1 on liking the game.

[quote name='Alpha 176']
One last question. Is it sort of a horror game that scares you or creeps you out or is it just suppose to be intriguing?[/QUOTE]
It doesn't really scare you as it keeps you on your toes. Especially in harder difficulties, you need to be resourceful and at times you run hoping not to be caught. The flashlight element plays a factor into the horror too.

Yes, and skip the DLC is my recommendation.

Honestly felt the last two chapters did nothing to advance the story. Really enjoyed the game as a whole though..

It's hard to argue with 10$ but that is about all it's worth in my opinion. I really didn't like it. I thought the story was aweful though the setting was good, the gameplay was horribly repetitive and it wasn't scary at all. I played it at night by myself and it didn't do anything for me. And I'm a pansy when it comes to horror stuff.

Had to force myself to finish it. I really don't understand the praise for the game. The story wasn't engagining at all to me. All the stupid titles and names really annoyed me. Rose Marigold was it, I lost it when I read that. Ugh.

[quote name='cthomer5000']Yes, and skip the DLC is my recommendation.

Honestly felt the last two chapters did nothing to advance the story. Really enjoyed the game as a whole though..[/QUOTE]

Really? I liked the DLC, only downside is the price. I always thought it completed the story more than anything. Also I think someone mentioned if you buy it off Gamefly used it should come with the DLC Signal leaving you to buy just the last one. That's how I got mine.

I would recommend it, it has a cool story but the game play is a little bit repetitive but still fun. It is an excellent attempt at creating something different.

bread's done
Back