Wow... my Wii games look kinda bad (RE4, Zelda)

Ravenous

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Well I got my first 2 real Wii games yesterday (Resident Evil and Zelda) and DAMN do they look bad. Really jagged edges and all jumpy. I dont know if its just the games but do the component cables make that huge a difference cause if so, Ill pick some up. Any reccomendations?

On a side note, anyone here played RE4 and Zelda for the GC than on the Wii? I noticed RE4 has some stuff missing (running) and added and Zelda is COMPLETLEY reveresed! Weird

If you expected two ports to look as good as Metroid or Mario Galaxy you're looking at the wrong games.

Hold Z to run, z and tap the control stick to do a 180 turn.

[quote name='Ravenous']Well I got my first 2 real Wii games yesterday (Resident Evil and Zelda) and DAMN do they look bad. Really jagged edges and all jumpy. I dont know if its just the games but do the component cables make that huge a difference cause if so, Ill pick some up. Any reccomendations?

On a side note, anyone here played RE4 and Zelda for the GC than on the Wii? I noticed RE4 has some stuff missing (running) and added and Zelda is COMPLETLEY reveresed! Weird[/quote]
etc etc, move on.

I thought the same thing OP. I also agree with the guy whose signature says something about juding games on their gameplay, and not on their graphics.

The games are two of the best I've ever played but I too thought the graphics really sucked. I was expecting more and after playing some Galaxy in a GS this weekend, I thought the same thing about Galaxy. They're better than RE4 and Zelda, and about as good as Metroid Corruption (GET THAT GAME!) IMO. The colors and sheer old schoolishness of Galaxy makes the game look really great though.

As to your side note, I heard that the GC TP and Wii TP were completely flip flopped. Never played either game on GC though.

RE 4 was a last gen game with some spectatular graphics. You bought two ports son. I liked Zelda better on the cube.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Get component cables. They really do make a big difference IMO.[/QUOTE]

actually... i found that the component cables made the graphics look worse on an lcd tv. i mean, it's better... but the "flaws" are easier to notice because it is better... y'know?

didn't really bother me... i'm not a graphics person (my only system is wii) and the cables did help make the colors look more vivid and stuff... but you should know that, at least at first, the better cables only enhance the lower quality of the graphics. but you'll get used it and start playing games for, i don't know, the gameplay.

if you just wanna watch something pretty... i suggest a movie.

I was wondering why people mention me running, but when I said no running, I meant the miny cut scene in the begening where he outruns a boulder. Instead I had a bunch Granados pointing and yelling at me.

Well my TV is a rear projection. I know these games are ports but I was able to trade my GC versions straight up for the Wii versions so now Im playing em again. Plus I just got my Wii about 2 weeks ago, so its the newest version. I dont think they look bad, they look good. I just wondered if fomponent would really help.

The Wii doesn't look too bad on my rear projection CRT 1080i HDTV, and I'm only using S-video since the TV only has one component input, and my 360 is using it.

I mean i would say that since we all know the Wii is the ultimate graphics power house that there is obviously something wrong with your TV.

But really, try to get some nice component cables to get 480p, however I think the Wii looks beter on Standard Def. Tv's. At GS anything we put in there looks jaggy even Mario Galaxy. If you are looking to test out your Wii for graphics then check out Metroid Prime or Mario Galaxy in a week and a half.

[quote name='Kaijufan']The Wii doesn't look too bad on my rear projection CRT 1080i HDTV, and I'm only using S-video since the TV only has one component input, and my 360 is using it.[/QUOTE]

How big is your screen? This hardly applies, but on my 26" CRT HD tube TV the Wii looked fine with composite cables. When I hooked it up to my 37" LCD, it looked horrible. So I picked up component cables. Still looks really bad, but a little better I guess.

MjC

[quote name='DocRamon']actually... i found that the component cables made the graphics look worse on an lcd tv. i mean, it's better... but the "flaws" are easier to notice because it is better... y'know?
[...]
but you should know that, at least at first, the better cables only enhance the lower quality of the graphics.[/quote] This is true. Component cables will make aliasing (jaggies) WORSE. Component cables provide a clearer image (more vibrant colors and clearer textures), but that means the aliasing is clearer. The natural blurring that comes from composite cables tends to take a bit of the edge off of an aliased image.
I'm not recommending that you not use component cables, just don't expect them to miraculously make the aliasing go away.

i just got comp cables for $20 bc my games looked like shit on my hdlcd tv and then changed some options on the wii menu and they look immensely better. re4 is a great game but looking at it now on the wii and seeing newer games in stores or wherever makes its graphical imperfections more noticable. i love me some zombie waggling though. get the cable and tweak your WII MENU options. hope this helps.

[quote name='MCalvert1']How big is your screen? This hardly applies, but on my 26" CRT HD tube TV the Wii looked fine with composite cables. When I hooked it up to my 37" LCD, it looked horrible. So I picked up component cables. Still looks really bad, but a little better I guess.

MjC[/quote]
51". Sure the Wii doesn't look as good as the 360, but I wouldn't say it looks bad.

Yea I got mine on a 47 inch. 1080i HD. I will say the Pro Logic sounds awesome though!

I saw a thread from a few weeks back (about a week before I got my wii )and they had comp cables for only $6, just my damn luck. They went up to about $10 now so thats not too bad.

I gotta order this before REUC, Ghost Squad, L'sCT, and MOH H2!

Component cables are going to offer infinitely better color seperation and much better aliasing. The step up from 480i to 480p is also quite noticable. Both of these qualities make the component cables a must buy. In regards to the games I have noticed this as well and present a theroy.

Is it possible that the RE4 port they used is the ps2 version and not the gamecube version? I know that sounds weird but looking at the ps2 version and wii version is eerily similiar. The Ps2 version suffered from washed out textures, grainy textures, and distored sound. Just a theroy but playing it really makes me wonder (especially since I believe it has the extra features that only the ps2 version had).
As for Zelda..... got me on that one...

Go play Twilight Princess, and don't come back until you've seen what Twilight Realm has to offer visually. If you're not satisfied then, go sell your Wii.

It's as simple as that.

[quote name='russellgreco']Component cables are going to offer infinitely better color seperation and much better aliasing. The step up from 480i to 480p is also quite noticable. Both of these qualities make the component cables a must buy. In regards to the games I have noticed this as well and present a theroy.

Is it possible that the RE4 port they used is the ps2 version and not the gamecube version? I know that sounds weird but looking at the ps2 version and wii version is eerily similiar. The Ps2 version suffered from washed out textures, grainy textures, and distored sound. Just a theroy but playing it really makes me wonder (especially since I believe it has the extra features that only the ps2 version had).
As for Zelda..... got me on that one...[/quote]
It was confirmed that it's based on the Gamecube version early on by Capcom.

I have read that the widescreen mode in RE4 Wii Edition isn't true widescreen, but zoomed in widescreen, but I don't know if it's true or not.

61" 1080p Sammy DLP here... MadCatz component cables... Not the best looking console, but the Wii isnt about graphics, its about game play. I have a friend who can not stand the wii purely because its "not pretty" like the other consoles... Granted I have a 360 and a ps3, and the wii was the last console out of the 3 i purchased, but it sure is a fun console...

[quote name='Chris in Cali']The Wii without 480p looks like complete shit. The Wii with 480p looks like regular shit.[/quote]

qft

[quote name='Ravenous']Well I got my first 2 real Wii games yesterday (Resident Evil and Zelda) and DAMN do they look bad. [/QUOTE]

To be fair those aren't "real" Wii games in that they are just GC ports. They were't built for the Wii and they didn't touch up the graphics of the Wii versions much if at all.

Metroid Prime 3 looks much better than either of them (though still has too many jaggies) and Mario Galaxy looks amazing. So it looks like going forward we'll finally start getting some Wii games that look a good bit better than GC games.

I was waiting for someone to say theyre not 'real'........ I said that though cause all Ive owned was Wii Sports and Wii Play

Ive never been interested in MP3 but I may go for Galaxy cause of that GC.

Honestly, if you have no interest in Metroid, and it takes a gift card deal to get you to buy Mario Galaxy, you probably should sell the Wii.

I thought I was unhappy with the Wii thus far, but I at least love the big Nintendo franchises.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']The Wii without 480p looks like complete shit. The Wii with 480p looks like regular shit.[/quote]That doesn't even make sense. Regular shit would be complete shit.

If you're going to mindlessly bash the console, at least use something that makes some sense. ;)

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']I have the crappiest TV ever, and when I play Oot on VC, the graphics make me cry a little inside :cry:[/quote] Save for the rare exception (Mario 64, and to a certain extent Star Fox 64), N64 games (like PS1 and Saturn) have aged terribly.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Honestly, if you have no interest in Metroid, and it takes a gift card deal to get you to buy Mario Galaxy, you probably should sell the Wii.

I thought I was unhappy with the Wii thus far, but I at least love the big Nintendo franchises.[/quote]

No, I just dont buy games on release day. I wait for the $20 price range. I havent bought a game in release day since Battalion Wars 1.

The only reason I'll be getting REUC is cause of that TRU deal and I needed Wiiplay for the controller.

Do you guys have your Wii hooked to a receiver with components? What kind of cables are you using? My Wii is between the TV and receiver and the cables I keep seeing wont reach! Help!

35341259_tp.jpg

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']i just got comp cables for $20 bc my games looked like shit on my hdlcd tv and then changed some options on the wii menu and they look immensely better. re4 is a great game but looking at it now on the wii and seeing newer games in stores or wherever makes its graphical imperfections more noticable. i love me some zombie waggling though. get the cable and tweak your WII MENU options. hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

What menu options are you changing, exactly ? Is it that menu option that says COMPLETELY SHITTY and REGULAR SHITTY ?

[quote name='Ravenous']No, I just dont buy games on release day. I wait for the $20 price range. I havent bought a game in release day since Battalion Wars 1.
[/QUOTE]

That makes more sense. In that case you need to learn the lesson I finally learned, and not buy consoles at release either.

From now on I'm waiting for the first or second price drop both to save money on the console and for there to be a nice library of $20 games available so it doesn't gather dust.

My Wii is between the TV and receiver and the cables I keep seeing wont reach! Help!

Just pick up some RCA barrel connectors at Radioshack or bestbuy, and another set of the red/white RCA audio cables. Then just plug the componet right into the TV, and use the barrel connectors and RCA cables to get the audio to the receiver.

[quote name='Kaijufan']It was confirmed that it's based on the Gamecube version early on by Capcom.

I have read that the widescreen mode in RE4 Wii Edition isn't true widescreen, but zoomed in widescreen, but I don't know if it's true or not.[/QUOTE]

Jeez would it be too much to fucking ask for true WS?! Gah they are such cheap sob's unless they REALLY want to make an impression. Shit they're the same assholes that fucked us out of PS for Killer 7(REALLY irked me, jaggy as fuck under component), the RE remake and RE Zero. Jeez their tightwaddedness knows no bounds. It's not like they didn't have some extra money around since they seemed to have tried to avoid paying taxes. They got caught we found out.

Firstly, always get the best type of cables for every system. Component cables on the Wii will undoubtedly make a difference.

Secondly, the Wii is not capable of great graphics nor will it ever be. It is a last-gen system with a new controller.

[quote name='Kaijufan']It was confirmed that it's based on the Gamecube version early on by Capcom.

I have read that the widescreen mode in RE4 Wii Edition isn't true widescreen, but zoomed in widescreen, but I don't know if it's true or not.[/QUOTE]

RE4 is letterboxed when not running in widescreen so zooming in (and therefore cutting off the black bars) makes it true widescreen. Just compare a letterboxed movie on a widescreen TV and a non-widescreen TV, you'll see the same picture on both but it will fill up more of the screen on the widescreen TV.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Secondly, the Wii is not capable of great graphics nor will it ever be. It is a last-gen system with a new controller.[/QUOTE]

You may be right, and I may agree with you on some level, but you're still going to get killed for saying this.

The games look like shit if you just stopped playing your 360 or something. Once you get going though after about 15 minutes the graphics don't really seem to matter. I am highly dissapointed that the Wii can't hang with the PS3 or 360 graphically because games like MP3 and Mario Galaxy running in 720p/1080p with "next-gen" graphics would be just about the best games of all time.

[quote name='javeryh']The games look like shit if you just stopped playing your 360 or something. Once you get going though after about 15 minutes the graphics don't really seem to matter. I am highly dissapointed that the Wii can't hang with the PS3 or 360 graphically because games like MP3 and Mario Galaxy running in 720p/1080p with "next-gen" graphics would be just about the best games of all time.[/quote]

I completely agree, both that 10 minutes into a game you don't notice the sub-par graphics anymore, and that it is disappointing that teh Wii can't hang graphically. Oh well, you can't have your cake and eat it too I suppose.

[quote name='pittpizza']Oh well, you can't have your cake and eat it too I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Actually, we used to do just that. In previous gens we got Nintendo's great games that were graphically right on par with the best looking games on other systems as the consoles were either the most powerful or could at least hang with the competition.

But I do agree that the graphics don't matter that much. It's a bit rattling to play Metroid Prime 3 right after playing Bioshock or something, but I get used to it and it doesn't distract from my enjoyment much.

But it is a shame they went underpowered, as I'd love to have seen Zelda, Mario and Metroid on a system with 360/PS3 power running in 720p.

But they are still great games nonetheless.

Hopefully the Wii2 or the WiiII or whatever they come out with will get the graphics up to PS3/360 levels. Even if the PS4 and next Xbox go beyond what they are capable of now I don't think it would be as big of a deal if Nintendo stayed one generation behind tech-wise.

I have my 360 on an HD set and my Wii on a Standard Def TV and even though I can obviously tell the difference I never really give a flying fuck. I usually play games to play games, not to sit and stare at the fucking screen. I'll agree that most N64 and PS1 games look like complete ass now but I really don't understand how most people played and loved their PS2 games 3 seconds ago and then complain to no end about the Wii. Then you have oh I love my 360 blah blah blah but then you'll sit and play Geometry Wars and Street Fighter II on XBOX Live Arcade...Hippocrates? I often wonder if anyone actually plays games to play games anymore.

P.S. - I don't want to hear the bullshit about how your PS3 upscales your PS2 games either.

[quote name='javeryh']Hopefully the Wii2 or the WiiII or whatever they come out with will get the graphics up to PS3/360 levels. Even if the PS4 and next Xbox go beyond what they are capable of now I don't think it would be as big of a deal if Nintendo stayed one generation behind tech-wise.[/QUOTE]

they say the wii could output HD graphics, it would take a lot of work, just like the occasional xbox game was in 720p or 1080i. Its possible, I think we might see it after developers get more Wii games under their belt.

[quote name='jkam']...but I really don't understand how most people played and loved their PS2 games 3 seconds ago and then complain to no end about the Wii. [/QUOTE]

Part of that problem is that the Wii is a NEXT GEN system, so people compare it to the other next gen systems. Everyone is used to getting major graphics upgrades with each new gen, and the Wii doesn't deliver much at all in that department and many are thus dissapointed.

As for the PS2, I can't stand to play much of anything on it anymore, so few games are 16x9 and 480p, and that's my minimum for playing games on my new TV. Really should through it on craigs list and just pick up the 360 versions of Guitar Hero since that's all I've kept the PS2 around for.

I do give a pass to virtual consoles games etc. though, since those are played mainly for nostalgias sake etc.

[quote name='jkam']I'll agree that most N64 and PS1 games look like complete ass now but I really don't understand how most people played and loved their PS2 games 3 seconds ago and then complain to no end about the Wii. [/QUOTE]

The Wii is priced like a next-gen system so it should be fairly comparable, but isn't. When people spend $250 on a new system they expect an actual upgrade, what an idea!

[quote name='PenguinMaster']The Wii is priced like a next-gen system so it should be fairly comparable, but isn't. When people spend $250 on a new system they expect an actual upgrade, what an idea![/quote]

I totally agree - the Xbox is now only $280 and the Wii can't compare graphically (it's not even remotely close) and graphics are the first thing the average consumer will notice... The Wii will be able to survive on cartoony/stylistic games for quite some time though - just don't go for realism. Wind Waker is still the best looking game I've ever played even though games like Gears of War have WAY better graphics... I'm not sure I'm making sense...

$280? I thought it was $350 these days.

In any case,
1) $250 is almost half the price of a $400 360 (going by launch prices, current prices are skewed in 360's favor because of its head start).

2) The Wii is a different kind of "upgrade," instead of graphical power being the focus Nintendo wanted to improve gameplay in their own way.

Which is what Nintendo's always been about. Most people are well aware that they're buying gameplay, not graphics. Incidentally, I also believe that that's the reason Nintendo's games have been so lasting. In five years no one is going to give a shit about the graphics of games coming out right now; the classic games will of course be the ones that are exceptionally fun (on every system). So what's the problem?

Graphics still matter down the road. There's very few NES games I can still stand top play, and even less Atari etc.

Same with first gen 3D games. Could go the rest of my life without touching another blurry ass N64 game or jaggy ass PSX game.

But SNES and Genesis games hold up fine, and many games from last gen will as well.

But kind of a moot point as I think most games on all three current systems will hold up well--but maybe some of the jaggier Wii games like Zelda won't. Time will tell.

bread's done
Back