WrestleMania 21 Thread

You got me.
Well atleast the online issue will be fixed. Doesn't fix the glitchs and what not though, think they'll be able to fix some of them via update? *shrugs*

Just got home. Stopped by GameCrazy and asked to try out the game. It's pretty cool how they will let you try ANY game out. Played a match with my bro, and we liked it. So we bought it and renewed our MVP (got EGM for a year, too, which is great since our free sub ended).

The girl at the counter was super-happy. "Wow, you're the first person to actually buy a new game after we open a new copy for you to try out." :)

Hopefully, the online is fixed soon and I can get to play with my buddies here at CAG. That'd be pretty sweet. :)

[quote name='Monsta Mack']http://www.xbox.com/en-US/wrestlema...e&level2=ticker&level3=wrestlemaniaautoupdate

Dear Valued Customers:

It has come to our attention that, due to a manufacturing error at the disc replication facility, gamers may experience problems utilizing the online feature in WWE WrestleMania® 21.

We are currently working to issue an auto update that will be available for download on Xbox Live as quickly as possible. Please be assured this is a isolated issue and we apologize for the inconvenience.

We appreciate your patience while we work to address this situation.

Regards,
THQ Customer Service[/QUOTE]

So, they pressed a pre-final copy of the game, that much appears to be clear. So the fix will only address XBL? Egads.

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin']So, they pressed a pre-final copy of the game, that much appears to be clear. So the fix will only address XBL? Egads.

myke.[/QUOTE]

The pre-final copies had working XBox Live.. so this is a real deal, not a beta :(

[quote name='Scorch']The pre-final copies had working XBox Live.. so this is a real deal, not a beta :([/QUOTE]

Although I won't try to discount any difficulties experienced due to a certain dvd drive derivative, many of the bugs people have been claiming have nothing to do with the drive.

The collision detection, the precise timing with which you need to hit moves when the opponent is on the mat, ladder matches with the hanging item right in the ring, ad infinitum. None of that has to do with the drive.

I applaud THQ for acknowledging and fixing the XBL problems; it's obvious that those with live will simply have to boot up their systems and download the update directly from the dashboard, due to the in-game difficulties connecting to the network. I don't think that will be a terrible ordeal.

myke.
...shame that people are citing dozens of other things that desperately need fixing, which THQ seems to be (for the moment) intentionally overlooking. Oh well, at least they're consistent.

I still think there were two different final versions of the game. The one they pressed was the one that was suppose to come out on the 28 of march. I probably hold on to my copy. I got mine from eb and it has a 14 day return policy. I'll give THQ 14 days for them to press the correct final copy. I still like the game despite the glitches but its not bad at all. Legends of Wrestling 3 had warping characters on screen at least this doesnt have that.

i actually have legends of wrestling 2 for gba......horrible....

but ive been saying since the start that this game plays like showdown and it does....

and now the long wait for dor2 begins.....that will be amazing

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't recall reading any reviews that discussed experiences playing on XBL. Any links?[/QUOTE]

From IGN:

Online play feels just as smooth as multiplayer on the same console. Of course it also suffers from all the same gameplay problems as the single-player experience.

From Team XBox:

It’s nice to finally have a wrestling game on the Xbox with online play and it may be WM21’s saving grace. 1-4 players can battle it out with voice support in most of the matches available in the offline game (no Royal Rumble for obvious reasons). In our playtests most matches performed at the same level as the offline game with little lag, but it remains to be seen how the retail version performs with four players on Xbox Live. If the hardcore crowd can look past some of the flaws and really adopts online championships, then WM21 could get a boost. This is a big “if” however, being that the gameplay is hard to stomach. As with the rest of the game, the Xbox Live UI is poorly designed.

[quote name='mykevermin'] I can't think of *any* instance where a company has admitted fault in a release (what was the end of the story with the Breed game mentioned a few pages back?). THQ never acknowledged that No Mercy had one fatal bug; they never acknowledged that Raw 2 was plagued. Can anyone cite an example of a company saying something to the effect of "Oh, shit. We're sorry, here's the real game." I think they had to do that with GC Phantasy Star Online in Japan, but other than that, I'm drawing blanks.[/QUOTE]Well I know that both Mortal Kombat Trilogy (PS1) and Mortal Kombat Gold (DC) had "fixed" versions released after a lot of bugs were discovered. I'm not sure if there was ever a direct statement from Midway though, where they officially acknowledged the problem. I'm not positive but MK Gold might have had a proper recall.. but I know for sure that there was a distinct re-release of the game that had a different colored disc and everything. You couldn't even save the game in the original so the glitches were pretty crippling. The glitches in MKT weren't exactly game-breaking, just slight gameplay inaccuracies (relative to Ultimate MK3 in the arcade, which the game engine was based on) that were later corrected in the Greatest Hits version.

Picked it up, made a CAW.. I started looking through CAS.. the move list and entrance moves/ring moves are pretty bare (though I think you can unlock a ton), Studio Gigante gets major props because in the T-Shirt section, they have logos of EVERYTHING on your shirt, from ECW to LWO to The Outsiders to D-Generation X.. four DX logos, actually, and nWo white and red, a "Tough Enough" shirt, and so much more.

My guy's got a "bandit" mask on, jeans, and an "E C F'N W" shirt. I love this.

[quote name='gizmogc']Didn't the fixed Dreamcast versions have a gold star that said "Hot!" or "New!"?[/QUOTE]Correct! And the disc was red instead of yellow/gold. Also Sektor could only do 3 teleports in a combo (infinite combo in the original), Noob Saibot's 3rd costume wouldn't crash the game, and of course saving the game finally worked.

MKT lowered the "gravity" in the Greatest Hits version. In the original version, the juggling was a bit floaty, and the moves would knock people in the air a little too high. This led to some unbalanced combo's that "shouldn't" work under normal MK3 rules. Again the average player wouldn't even notice, but to an MK nerd/completist like myself it was important to have the most accurate version.

[quote name='Scorch']Picked it up, made a CAW.. I started looking through CAS.. the move list and entrance moves/ring moves are pretty bare (though I think you can unlock a ton), Studio Gigante gets major props because in the T-Shirt section, they have logos of EVERYTHING on your shirt, from ECW to LWO to The Outsiders to D-Generation X.. four DX logos, actually, and nWo white and red, a "Tough Enough" shirt, and so much more.

My guy's got a "bandit" mask on, jeans, and an "E C F'N W" shirt. I love this.[/QUOTE]

yea it was so awesome when i saw those nwo and dx logos...its about fucking time someone puts them in there...

yea and the base entrances suck ass

[quote name='BustaUppa']Correct! And the disc was red instead of yellow/gold. Also Sektor could only do 3 teleports in a combo (infinite combo in the original), Noob Saibot's 3rd costume wouldn't crash the game, and of course saving the game finally worked.

MKT lowered the "gravity" in the Greatest Hits version. In the original version, the juggling was a bit floaty, and the moves would knock people in the air a little too high. This led to some unbalanced combo's that "shouldn't" work under normal MK3 rules. Again the average player wouldn't even notice, but to an MK nerd/completist like myself it was important to have the most accurate version.[/QUOTE]

great to see another mk fan... i love mkt...never had that prob with n64 version...

bret hart just got speared....1...2....3...

Just had a tag match in season with Booker T.. man, that was insanely fun.. this game rocks.

//edit: and then it froze when trying to load the next match. Lame. I think I might take it back.. depends on when the online portion gets up and going.

I just got this game and as a big WWE fan, this game was a BIG disappointment. AGAIN, they try to make this game TOO realistic and they forget to include the "fun" factor. The game is slow as crap, everything doesn't seem to click, I agree with the low scores. I'm beginning to miss those Smackdown games for the PS1 back then.

So you got the game and judged it without getting into it.. nice. The pace in this game is NORMAL, everyone's used to the hyper speed of the Smackdown series.. oh well, to each their own (and for the record, I think SD: HCTP was, and probably still is, the king of the next gen wrestling games)

yea ive been noticing some glitches here in there....sucks that they even delayed it to clean out the kinks ...

how long is it going to take to get this patch out jesus crist...

[quote name='Scorch']Just had a tag match in season with Booker T.. man, that was insanely fun.. this game rocks.

//edit: and then it froze when trying to load the next match. Lame. I think I might take it back.. depends on when the online portion gets up and going.[/QUOTE]

Y'know what, dude? I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt earlier. Look at what you've written above: "this game rocks....I think I might take it back."

Sure, it loses its context, but I think I've decided that you're a priss who, while you may be subtly admitting that you were wrong about the game, feel the need to emphasize picking on other's choices instead of recognizing your own. You wanted to shit on ViolentLee's head like he'd written a review based on nothing more than looking at the boxart, and yet you've had limited (yet some) experience with the title.

Next, you're slagging on the guy below for some reason (which I don't remember). So he didn't "get into it." Please, tell me what qualifies as "getting into it."

So, the important question is this: Do you like the game now? Did you like the game then? If so (or not), why bother pissing up everyone else's skirt because you feel compelled to do so?

Do you like the game or not? Take a paxil and let us know, so we can respond accordingly next time you decide you love/dislike this title.

myke.
...Sony sent me back a PSP with one stuck pixel. Cunts.

Perhaps you didn't notice the "edit" part.. that usually means something's changed. If I wanted to take it back, I'd take it back right now. I don't know where you get this whole "emphasize picking on other's choices instead of recognizing your own".. I like this game, but if it continually locks up on me, yes, I will take it back.. just because I take it back doesn't mean I don't like it. I really don't understand how you and VL think you have me so pegged over a message board.. some of you guys take this place way to seriously.. no one here should get a game based on someone else's recommendation alone.

Read the ViolentLee discussion again. I was angry because he thought his opinion was higher than everyone else's. "Limited" experience? Yeah, I guess six or seven hours is pretty limited.. right..

So, the important question is this: Do you like the game now? Did you like the game then? If so (or not), why bother pissing up everyone else's skirt because you feel compelled to do so?

..what? "Pissing up everyone else's skirt"? The hell does that mean?

Just because I return it doesn't mean I hate it.. It could mean a number of things, you just assumed that it meant I was pissed about it freezing. If I return it, it's just going to be to get the full $50 back.. i'll get it again when it's $20 or I have a modded XBox so it doesn't stutter to hell or something.

//Hour 36 begins!.. and hopefully it ends here.. god, I need sleep. Sorry if none of the above is coherent.

Next, you're slagging on the guy below for some reason (which I don't remember). So he didn't "get into it." Please, tell me what qualifies as "getting into it."

Something other than putting it in, playing one or two matches, then taking it back out.

Do you like the game or not? Take a paxil and let us know, so we can respond accordingly next time you decide you love/dislike this title.

Paxil? Paxil has fuck all to do with my feelings on the game.. it seems like you're trying too hard to take jabs at me..seriously, what the fuck is the deal.. I say it looks great but will suck, I play it, I don't think it sucks, I buy it, I play it more, it freezes, I may return it and pick it up at a later time.. why the shit is everyone flaming me? It's not like i'm saying OMG THIS GAME IS THE BEST EVER OPEN YOUR COPY BECAUSE I SAID TO.. I stressed that people should try it elsewhere before trying and not to get/open a game based on my opinion alone. So quit trying to start arguments.

[quote name='Scorch']Perhaps you didn't notice the "edit" part.. that usually means something's changed. If I wanted to take it back, I'd take it back right now. I don't know where you get this whole "emphasize picking on other's choices instead of recognizing your own".. I like this game, but if it continually locks up on me, yes, I will take it back.. just because I take it back doesn't mean I don't like it. I really don't understand how you and VL think you have me so pegged over a message board.. some of you guys take this place way to seriously.. no one here should get a game based on someone else's recommendation alone.

Read the ViolentLee discussion again. I was angry because he thought his opinion was higher than everyone else's. "Limited" experience? Yeah, I guess six or seven hours is pretty limited.. right..

..what? "Pissing up everyone else's skirt"? The hell does that mean?

Just because I return it doesn't mean I hate it.. It could mean a number of things, you just assumed that it meant I was pissed about it freezing. If I return it, it's just going to be to get the full $50 back.. i'll get it again when it's $20 or I have a modded XBox so it doesn't stutter to hell or something.

//Hour 36 begins!.. and hopefully it ends here.. god, I need sleep. Sorry if none of the above is coherent.

Something other than putting it in, playing one or two matches, then taking it back out.

Paxil? Paxil has fuck all to do with my feelings on the game.. it seems like you're trying too hard to take jabs at me..seriously, what the fuck is the deal.. I say it looks great but will suck, I play it, I don't think it sucks, I buy it, I play it more, it freezes, I may return it and pick it up at a later time.. why the shit is everyone flaming me? It's not like i'm saying OMG THIS GAME IS THE BEST EVER OPEN YOUR COPY BECAUSE I SAID TO.. I stressed that people should try it elsewhere before trying and not to get/open a game based on my opinion alone. So quit trying to start arguments.[/QUOTE]

Here is your immediate response to daywalker's first post:

So you got the game and judged it without getting into it.. nice.

What in their post helped you think that they did not get into it.

myke.
...pleasure to meet you pot, I'm kettle. At least I have drinking as an excuse for being onery (or is it ornery? I need someone southern to help me out there).

Regarding online in the reviews, I'll give away a little secret to you guys: It's next to impossible to rate online features in a pre-released game. We end up having to fudge a little bit in that area, because first off, debug consoles and Xbox Live don't really get along. And even if we can get on, there's rarely anyone around to play with.

What normally happens is we have to set up one-on-one sessions with someone at development. While this gives you an idea what to expect, it's not an authentic online experience. Hence the lack of talk about online in WM 21 reviews, and the amount of praise for the online component of DOA Ultimate -- which I thought was a laggy mess in actual execution.

[quote name='GenDV138']I heard the XBL patch is finally out according to people on GamingRing and Gamefaqs, anyone try lately?[/QUOTE]

i will try right now

[quote name='guyver2077']i will try right now[/QUOTE]

YES ITS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 thank you god!!!!!!

pretty large update

my tags guyver2077 if anyone wants to try it out

[quote name='guyver2077']YES ITS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 thank you god!!!!!!

pretty large update

my tags guyver2077 if anyone wants to try it out[/QUOTE]

Nice, let me know how it is online! I think I will pick it up tomorrow morning.

Warning!!!!! Im So fucking Mad About This!!!

Downloading The Patch Will Erase Your Caw And Your Progress In Season Mode..

This fucking Sucks......

[quote name='guyver2077']Warning!!!!! Im So fucking Mad About This!!!

This fucking Sucks......[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. Just noticed this

The online patch deletes CAWs and what not is to prevent cheating, as all edited caws and created caws you need to sign into LIVE to make/edit. So It's understandable why this happened, but still sucks after play a good three hours of story mode yesterday. But atleast I got use to the game play.

You can even have guests (!) signed into XBox live. All modes of gameplay are in outside of Royal Rumble. One thing that irked me was no stats? Were kept track of during play, theres also no entrance or aftermath/victory screen when the match is over. Not to mention the clunky gameplay is still there, I bet people will be abusing ground submissions in due time.

Either way with the game being online and offering alot more online then SVR offered, it goes up a point in my book. But this game is STILL not worth paying more then $30 for, even if your a hardcore wrestling fan. Of course this is just my opinion, and this game is still better then any Legends of Wrestling game and slightly better then the Raw series.

Let's just hope Studio Gigante doesn't fuck up the next WM game and offers even a deeper career, better CAW and more online options.... and that they don't ship out a game that doesn't even go online on It's first day.

Edit: Removed edit. Halo 2v2 doesn't go in Monday. doh!

So, the patch is out, huh?

I've heard rumors that the patch also fixes a couple of freezing glitches in the game. Any truth to this? I'm not expecting it to fix anything major like collision detection, etc. but if it does indeed fix the replay problem and other related freezes, that would be awesome. :)

[quote name='Saucy Jack']So, the patch is out, huh?

I've heard rumors that the patch also fixes a couple of freezing glitches in the game. Any truth to this? I'm not expecting it to fix anything major like collision detection, etc. but if it does indeed fix the replay problem and other related freezes, that would be awesome. :)[/QUOTE]

The patch is 100% out, I don't know if it fixes anything besides the online play. Unfortunately we will be waiting another year on the colission detection and smoother gameplay in general.

I haven't heard that it fixes freezing and what not, that would be interesting though.

This large patch helped with the game alot especially that load times and replay hiccups its smooth now. They just need to tweak the online a bit as it kind of laggy. Not bad that it took them a day to patch. Hope they can patch some more stuff about this game.

[quote name='RawisJericho'] I want to know what the fuck SG did when they delayed the game.[/QUOTE]

They pissed on it, for some reason they said why even try who cares anymore gaming is not for me. So the whole entire studio converted to a shit factoy where they make shit all day. DAMN IT I want my 53 bucks back SG

I'm not going to give a full review since I'm too lazy, but I'll just give some short impressions on the game. I got it Thursday night and I played matches and created a supertar or two for a good 4-5 hours, taking a 2 hour break for Smackdown. I also played a few matches this morning before I left.

In total, I've likely played 25-30 matches (My record lists 22, but I've had it freeze and not record results). I've tried out almost every match type, done some career mode, and I re-enacted just about every match from the WrestleMania 21 show, amongst many others.

I really like the game. It's not No Mercy or Fire Pro, but it's damn good. There are flaws, such as the occasional freezing before a match (happened once) and afterwards if you try to skip the replay (happened 3 times). Load times are semi-long. The game can be frustrating when the opponent keeps grappling you as soon as you get up, but I haven't lost a match or been dominated due to that.

The graphics are incredible, but you already knew that. The voice-overs in career mode are nigh-perfect. All the gimmick matches are fun to play, although it's quite disappointing that we cannot have more than 2 people in ladder, TLC, and Hell in a Cell matches.

I like this game a lot after extended play, and I think that says more than those who diss it after a short time with the game. You may like it less if you're not a huge WWE fan like me, but it's still a solid game.

Overall, I'd give WrestleMania 21 for Xbox a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. That's just comparing it to wrestling games, not all games. Fire Pro D would be a 10 and No Mercy a 9, just for comparison's sake.

I'd say maybe take 1 point off the score if you're not a huge WWE mark. I haven't tried online play yet, but I feel that it could add a point to the score and extend replay value for ages.

Now, off to play WrestleMania... on Live!

[quote name='guyver2077']Warning!!!!! Im So fucking Mad About This!!!

This fucking Sucks......[/QUOTE]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Actually, it makes sense.. someone described it was to thwart cheaters or something.. i'll just transfer my caw onto my memory card.. (EDIT: Looks like I couldn't do that)

I went to bed at 6pm yesterday, just woke up.. how do I download the patch? I went into the game and nothing happened... there it goes, nevermind, downloading now

Friend request deployed to Matt, Guyver, what's your XBL name?

I just played 4 matches online against Scorch- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels in a TLC match, Matt Hardy vs. Edge in Hell in a Cell, Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio, and Lita vs. Trish in a Bra and panties match. I was the wrestler listed first in each match.

All the matches ended up in draws (they really need to change the 10 minute time limit) and there was noticeable lag, but it was ridiculously fun. I love online wrestling.

On a random note, why does everyone who has seen my pic ask if I'm using a voice mask online? It's not that deep. :p

Anyway... Guyver, we need to have a Bret Hart vs. Goldberg match sometime. Also, when will we have an official CAG Championship and maybe league?

Yeah, it was ridiculously fun playing against MY. I went to make a CAG belt.. holy shit, there's like 81723486123846129837468923649812364 belt combinations -- there's even the million dollar belt! Anyways, yeah, there's a noticible lag between moves on Live, but after about three or four minutes, you definately get used to it.

bread's done
Back