WTF, kno OTT 4 TFN, LOL! -or- Free OTTea Bagging with Entrance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dallow']PS3, DAY 2

untitledrb8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I for one welcome our new console overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted moderator, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

[quote name='wubb']I for one welcome our new console overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted moderator, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.[/quote]Haha, I laughed out loud.

USPS tracking is BS.

Day 1 - No info.
Day 2 - No info.
Day 3 - No info.
Day 4 - No info.
Day 5 - No info.
Day 6 - Congrats. Delivered!

I think Makler has given me an idea of how to go next-gen on the cheap.

I'll set ebay to email me for new listings of "broken PS3" and hope that through a power surge or something, some combination of wifi/ethernet ports, usb ports, media card ports, hdmi is broken.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I think Makler has given me an idea of how to go next-gen on the cheap.

I'll set ebay to email me for new listings of "broken PS3" and hope that through a power surge or something, some combination of wifi/ethernet ports, usb ports, media card ports, hdmi is broken.[/QUOTE]

Karma would then probably decree that you receive one that, through some completely unknown reason, only allows on-line play.

[quote name='strummerbs']Karma would then probably decree that you receive one that, through some completely unknown reason, only allows on-line play.[/QUOTE]

And only for fighting games.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']hey dallow - would it be theoretically possible to run the PS3 without a hard drive and just have it save through the media card ports?[/quote]

You know, I was tempted to test the PS3 and turn it on when I had the HDD out. I wanted to find out the same thing.

I don't know the answer.
I know you can copy saves to any media slot, or usb port with ease, but an actual game never really gives you an option to save there.
Outlook is doubtful.

Interesting question.
I'll ask around.

EDIT:
After thinking about, I feel this is impossible, as most games use the HDD to cache some data.
The HDD pretty much has to be required.

But hey, you can buy a small solid state drive. Shouldn't die, no moving parts, no noise, and it'll be enough to just hold saves.

[quote name='dallow']
But hey, you can buy a small solid state drive. Shouldn't die, no moving parts, no noise, and it'll be enough to just hold saves.[/QUOTE]

Them things aint cheap. DMK wants little caveman toiling away at tiny stone tablets to write his data for him. None of this solid state new age technobabble bullshit.

Today is a good day. Just bought New Maps of Hell, I may get Zeitgeist later, and I'll probably order my PS3 later. A good, but expensive, day.

Dammit I went to Babbages earlier and pre-ordered VF5 and UT3, but they didn't have the virtua stick available to pre-order which sucked. I wanted to ditch the last of my credit and to make sure I don't have to search for one when it comes out. Hopefully it shows up in their system soon.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Dammit I went to Babbages earlier and pre-ordered VF5 and UT3, but they didn't have the virtua stick available to pre-order which sucked. I wanted to ditch the last of my credit and to make sure I don't have to search for one when it comes out. Hopefully it shows up in their system soon.[/QUOTE]

Babbages? What the fuck. Is there a temporal anomaly at the door to your mall that sends you back to the early 90's?

The PS3 is just a game machine.
If you want it to be. (used 20gb at Gamecrazy for 339)

Welcome to the flock prmononoke.

Babbages? What the fuck. Is there a temporal anomaly at the door to your mall that sends you back to the early 90's?
Crap, yeah! Haha, haven't heard that in forever.
Did you check Funcoland?

[quote name='dallow']The PS3 is just a game machine.
If you want it to be. (used 20gb at Gamecrazy for 339)

Welcome to the flock prmononoke.

Crap, yeah! Haha, haven't heard that in forever.
Did you check Funcoland?[/QUOTE]

"Babages? We ain't got no Babages?!?! We don't need no stinkin' Babages!"

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Babbages? What the fuck. Is there a temporal anomaly at the door to your mall that sends you back to the early 90's?[/QUOTE]
Well, he is ordering Virtua Fighter, Unreal Tournament, and an arcade stick...if we drop the numbers, I think that'd put him in 1999.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Babbages? What the fuck. Is there a temporal anomaly at the door to your mall that sends you back to the early 90's?[/QUOTE]

There is a gamestop very close within the same mall (it was an EB games) and I guess they decided to keep both stores open, and I guess they thought having two gamestop's would be confusing. I was kind of hoping one of them would have had SF:AC, but niether did.

They also had/have a Babbage's in Wilmington (which is where my sister's live and is about two hours away from my house).

Wowza. MGS4 may not be a PS3 exclusive.

If I walked into a CC, and they have a 20GB PS3 for $400, with an extra controller, and the five free blue-ray DVD's, it might actually make me think about it. For a minute or so.

After reading the news that they are taking the "emotion engine" out of the PS3's in August, it also has me wondering about the rumble feature. Everyone knows they got rid of it because they got sued, but they have been working on another one, reportedly. I think that if they don't have it done by August, it will probably be near Holiday Season or early next year before the summer game rush. I don't think I could play Metal Gear w/o vibration(Think Psyco Mantis and the AP Sensor :whistle2:().

In other news, I drove out to class only to have my teacher not show up. What a pain in the ass. Whatever though, because I'm fucking starving.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']How do you upgrade a PS3 hard drive anyway? With an external drive or do you need to crack the case?[/quote]Little tab on the side of it pops off.

Then there are some ridiculously tough screws to get past. (best to use pliers to untighten them, then screw off).

It says how to in the manual.
It's actually very easy minus how tight the screws are. (i cut my hand, and destroyed one screw)

Also.
You can just plug in an external drive for movies and music.
You can't save demos on an external drive however.

So, few quick questions, don't know if they've been answered:

Does any hard drive work (IDE, SATA, or other?)
What are the differences between the 20gig and 60gig other than size?

I think my Gamecrazy had some used 20gig ones, that's tempting.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']So, few quick questions, don't know if they've been answered:

I think my Gamecrazy had some used 20gig ones, that's tempting.[/QUOTE]

I believe it is a 2.5 inch drive. I think Zoglog upgraded his system with a 160 GB seagate and made a post about what the right kind of drive was necessary a few months back (so there may be a thread related to what you are asking somewhere).

I should really do some research for my paper thats due in a couple weeks. ...I'll do it tomorrow :lol:.

Dr. MK - I would assume 20GB's is the minimum, but I don't know for sure. I think that was the minimum for PS2 though. As for the save files, they can't be that big, but games also use it for more than just saves.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']how much space is the minimum that the PS3 requires for whatever it is it does with it? and how big are the save files?[/QUOTE]

Why do you care so much? Do you really hate the idea of the system having a hard drive? If you do hate the idea of a system having a hard drive, why do you like longer load times?

Gah. Tempted by PS3 talk and price drop... however, it still has no games I desire. And it seems most of the Sony exclusives are talking of no longer being exclusive... oh what to do? :ziplip:

Kill yourself and leave chika in my care. :twisted:

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Gah. Tempted by PS3 talk and price drop... however, it still has no games I desire. And it seems most of the Sony exclusives are talking of no longer being exclusive... oh what to do? :ziplip:[/quote]

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Thats outrageous if it needs that much![/QUOTE]
All PS3's come with at least 20GBs.

How is that outrageous?

Ok, now I hate you. You pretentious little fuck. YAY! THE WII ONLY NEEDS A 512mb SD CARD!!!! OMG NINTENDO IS SO GREAT? HOW CAN YOU NOT FELLATIATE THEM LIKE ME!?

Shut the fuck up.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Thats outrageous if it needs that much![/quote]

As Nintendo can explain to you, lacking hard drives dont necessarily mean longer load times. Just dont be so sloppy with the hardware.

I'm accustomed to the load times of every single console ever before now, so I think I'll be ok.

I'll buy a broken PS3 that has a lot of the features broken but can still play games and get a 3 or 4 gig solid state drive for it. Just enough for saves and the OS or whatever it is.

Really, I'm against hard drives more for DLC and allowing patches than the failure rate.

To fit and work INSIDE the PS3, it must be a 2.5" SATA drive.
The differences between the two models are:

60GB has Wifi built in.
It has multiple card readers.
Chrome strip (ugly).
And more space obviously.

how much space is the minimum that the PS3 requires for whatever it is it does with it? and how big are the save files?
PS3 game saves range from 100kb to 500kb. So, pretty small.

Problem is, some games require some data cache to be stored. Which range from a little under 100MB to as much as 4GB (oblivion).

With proper data management, I'd say you can live with an 8GB-10GB drive.

And they do make an 8GB solid state drive.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Gah. Tempted by PS3 talk and price drop... however, it still has no games I desire. And it seems most of the Sony exclusives are talking of no longer being exclusive... oh what to do? :ziplip:[/quote]
There are a few games that I'm looking for to on the PS3 but the price still isn't low enough. That and I don't have a hdtv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back