WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009

[quote name='BustaUppa']I've always wished that wrestling games would adopt a more fighting game-style select screen. It's kind of impractical to scroll back and forth through a list of 60+ characters... it'd be nice to have some kind of grid to navigate. I think one of the gamecube games did that actually.[/QUOTE]
As did No Mercy. :drool:

[quote name='BustaUppa']I've always wished that wrestling games would adopt a more fighting game-style select screen. It's kind of impractical to scroll back and forth through a list of 60+ characters... it'd be nice to have some kind of grid to navigate. I think one of the gamecube games did that actually.[/quote]

I absolutely concur. It would be prettier and much more logical.

I just doesn't make sense to singularly scroll through the entire roster.

Yeah for real. And if it seems like too much to fit one screen, they could just have separate "tabs" for each brand (accessible via shoulder buttons, perhaps). Maybe let you switch between "Raw," "Smackdown," "ECW," and "Divas," so you can have a selection grid and still fit some pretty graphics on the sides.

Or instead of the grid idea... if they wanted to be REALLY ambitious they could go all Rock Band-style and give you sorting options. Sort by last name or first name, sort by brand, sort by abilities, sort by WEIGHT CLASS, sort by disc/CAW/DLC (heh)... it could be quite practical!

got tired of waiting for the xbl demo so i just dl'ed the uk ps3 demo.

Its alright.... single player felt the same for me. I hate playing this game with the ps3 controller though.. graphics looked identical as did the entrances

tag team was alot better than previous years. did not feel like a shore.

[quote name='guyver2077']tag team was alot better than previous years. did not feel like a shore.[/QUOTE]

That's one new thing I loved (was it in previous years? I don't recall). When I hit a finisher in a tag team match, my partner automatically, without provocation, ran into the ring and attacked the other guy on the apron. Which means no more (or far fewer) stupid tag matches where your partner stands on the apron picking his nose as each and every single fucking pin attempt broken up by the AI running in.

AWESOME.

At the EuroGaming Expo, people say that John Morisson has his slo-mo entrance sans fur coat/hair physics.

Also from the EuroGamer Expo...

Downloadable Superstars are CONFIRMED. - They will be treated as a special class of wrestlers in Create Modes (Superstar - Downloaded Superstar - Created Superstar)

The locked match type is some form of Handicap Match. It's under that sub-heading in the match selection menu. It could be some sort of Gauntlet, maybe the return of SLOBBERKNOCKER!

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20081029010531354.jpg

Give the bodacious loudmouth Mr. Kennedy credit: He sure knows how to make an entrance. And he sure as hell won't let anyone outtalk him – ask any poor soul who has been on the receiving end of a verbal drubbing by the Green Bay, Wis., native since he burst onto the WWE scene in 2005.

No one else in WWE, before or since, has made his own ring introductions. Hell, if no one else can do it right, you might as well do it yourself. But with Mr. Kennedy, there's always been the impression that he likes to hear himself talk … loudly.

Still, Kennedy is more than just talk – he knows how to dish it out in the ring. He can talk smack and give it back at the same time. Kennedy has billed himself as the "future of WWE."

Those are quite bold statements, but Kennedy's record speaks for itself. The laundry list of former World Champions and future Hall of Famers he has defeated reads like a Who's Who of the elite in WWE. Kane, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, Batista and Shawn Michaels, among others, have all tasted defeat at the hands of Mr. Kennedy. Though he has held the United States Championship and is a former Mr. Money in the Bank winner, Kennedy will not be content until he is a World Champion. Only then will he shut up … then again, maybe not.

So what fuels Mr. Kennedy's desire? Maybe it is his huge ego; maybe it's greed. Maybe it's his memories of growing up in the frozen tundra of Green Bay, watching legends such as Hulk Hogan, Randy "Macho Man" Savage and later, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. His toughness was forged by a stint in the U.S. Army and battling before hundreds – not thousands, hundreds – of onlookers in dirty rings while on the independent wrestling circuit before hitting the big time in WWE. If nothing else, Mr. Kennedy is a survivor who is living his dream.

Mr. Kennedy was drafted to SmackDown in the WWE Draft, where he hopes to continue the hot streak he has been on in 2008. Source: WWE.com

Abilities
Move Theft
Steal Taunt
Durability
Ladder Match
Possum Pin

Signature Moves
Green Bay Plunge 1
Swanton Bomb 1

Finishers
Mic Check
Green Bay Plunge 2

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20081029010529604.jpg

Randy Orton doesn't have many interests. Other than listening to Metallica or Pantera and watching the occasional movie, wrestling is his life…or, as he would tell you, his destiny.

It's easy to understand why. His father is WWE Hall of Famer "Cowboy" Bob Orton, his uncle Barry "Barry O" Orton, and his grandfather "The Big O," the late Bob Orton, Sr. Most kids remember their first ball game or school play; Randy's childhood memories include sitting in the kitchen of his family's St. Louis home with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, and repairing a broken banister leaned on by Andre the Giant. He wasn't even five years old when he watched his father knock out "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff in the main event at the inaugural WrestleMania, but he already knew he wanted to be a WWE Superstar.

Randy's parents tried dissuading him; his father even warned that life in the ring meant a life on the road, away from family. Yet Randy, seeing how his friends perceived his world-traveling dad in "a different light," recalls only thinking the prospect was "quite appealing, and something I wanted to do."
Still, he agreed to try other avenues first. After graduating Hazelwood Central High School in 1998 (where he was an accomplished amateur wrestler), Orton enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. His plan was to serve a four-year tour of duty, then focus on a wrestling career; his reality was a dishonorable discharge one year later, due to unauthorized absences on two occasions (one for 82 days) and for disobeying a superior officer's direct order. After spending 38 days in the brig of Camp Pendleton Base, he would resume his civilian life…and to pursuing his destiny.

Back home in St. Louis, Orton accompanied his father backstage at a local WWE live event in late 1999. He left the show with an opportunity to try out in Stamford, which soon resulted in a developmental deal to train at Ohio Valley Wrestling. Orton quickly rose through OVW's ranks, and in April 2002, he officially made his WWE debut as a member of SmackDown. The third-generation Superstar had at last fulfilled his dream, though a long-standing rivalry with Mick Foley (and a brutal Hardcore Match at Backlash in 2004 that Orton remembers as one of his greatest contests) provided him with a new purpose:

What better way to make himself a WWE legend…than to destroy the legends before him? Since then, many WWE legends have fallen to Randy Orton. And many more will follow. It's his destiny. Source: WWE.com

Abilities
Dirty Pin
K.O.
Steal Taunt
Object
Resiliency
Durability

Signature Moves
Backbreaker 14
Orton Stomp

Finishers
Hunting RKO
Punt Kick

KoOS: Are you saying that downloadable wrestlers will occupy CAW slots, or simply that they'll be located there in regard to menus and such?

[quote name='mykevermin']KoOS: Are you saying that downloadable wrestlers will occupy CAW slots, or simply that they'll be located there in regard to menus and such?[/quote]

I don't know, I would assume that is just where it is located. I would highly doubt the DLC wrestlers would replace CAW slots.

It sounds like it goes like this

Regular Roster Section
CAW Section
DLC Roster Section

November 9 is soon. SVR09 releases between Gears 2 and World at War. Madness.

So, as for CAGCW, how about we start things off with a King of the Ring? I could make brackets. :whistle2:k

I'm afraid this one's going to have to go on hold. What with Gears 2 and World at War coming out the same week, preordering Left 4 Dead, and just generally not watching any WWE programming for well over two months I'll be waiting for Christmastime or a decent sale, whichever happens first.

You can go ahead and start running cryptic promos for my debut if you'd like though Chase. ;)

[quote name='xcoax']I'm afraid this one's going to have to go on hold. What with Gears 2 and World at War coming out the same week, preordering Left 4 Dead, and just generally not watching any WWE programming for well over two months I'll be waiting for Christmastime or a decent sale, whichever happens first.

You can go ahead and start running cryptic promos for my debut if you'd like though Chase. ;)[/quote]

I'll give you a black cowboy hat and a white horse. ;) :bouncy: Maybe a unicorn! :hot:

[quote name='Chase']November 9 is soon. SVR09 releases between Gears 2 and World at War. Madness.

So, as for CAGCW, how about we start things off with a King of the Ring? I could make brackets. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]
I'm in. I'm burned out on shooters and the MP for Gears and COD5 aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Gears is strictly MP for me so that's a rental. COD:WAW will be a rental for me as well.. but I play the crap out of Smackdown games.

The logos constantly moves in the background, right? Keep that in mind. The logo's in the exact same spot for Ted DiBiase, Kelly Kelly and Charlie Haas. It's in the same spot for the Masked Man and Kane. I'm not saying they're fake, but who knows. That WCW logo clearly looks photoshopped though.

Guess we'll see soon.

[quote name='Scorch']The logos constantly moves in the background, right? Keep that in mind. The logo's in the exact same spot for Ted DiBiase, Kelly Kelly and Charlie Haas. It's in the same spot for the Masked Man and Kane. I'm not saying they're fake, but who knows. That WCW logo clearly looks photoshopped though.

Guess we'll see soon.[/quote]

Well there is a locked spot in the spots where "Tony" and "Masked Man" fit. Plus in an interview someone said that there are two characters whom of which AREN'T superstars.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's one new thing I loved (was it in previous years? I don't recall). When I hit a finisher in a tag team match, my partner automatically, without provocation, ran into the ring and attacked the other guy on the apron. Which means no more (or far fewer) stupid tag matches where your partner stands on the apron picking his nose as each and every single fucking pin attempt broken up by the AI running in.

AWESOME.[/quote]

Right.. now your partner automatically goes and attacks the guy's partner. In past years they would both enter once the pin was attempted. Usually my partner would always miss and the pin would get broken up so it did indeed get annoying.

Sharing the momentum meter was a great idea. It feels more realistic when you tag someone in.

Are there any tag team finishers?

[quote name='Scorch']Gears is strictly MP for me so that's a rental. COD:WAW will be a rental for me as well.. but I play the crap out of Smackdown games.[/quote]

Thats alot like me. I play the wrestling games more than anything else. I pre-ordered gears 2 I'll beat the campaign, and play some multi then sale it... lol

[quote name='BustaUppa']wCw???[/quote]

Like the WCW logo WWE created back when they bought the company.

As for the screenshots, what's with Maria & Kelly Kelly in santa-themed costumes?

[quote name='mykevermin']What's with the jaundiced Finlay in the screenshots above?[/quote]

That's Zombie Finlay.

There is also Zombie Santino.

In Taker's Road to Wrestlemania he turns Finlay and Santino into his zombie minions, I guess they decided to make Zombie Finlay and Zombie Santino playable characters. :lol:

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20081030002723670.jpg

Don't pretend to think you know Edge. You didn't grow up with the Rated-R Superstar and his single-parent mother in some cramped apartment in Orangeville (a tiny Ontario town that Edge recalls offered residents two choices: "work in a factory in town, or if you're really lucky, land a job in Toronto"). You likely identified with his classmates at Princess Elizabeth Public School, carrying a hockey stick and aspiring to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Edge, meanwhile, dreamed of rocking out on a Les Paul guitar and following in the platformed footsteps of KISS. (He didn't, but it hasn't stopped him from amassing an impressive collection of signed, custom-made guitars over the years.)

If you really knew Edge, you would have noticed the "black cloud" that hung over the eight-year-old boy after a car accident claimed the life of his most-admired uncle. You would have also seen that cloud give way to the yellow and red-clad form of Hulk Hogan, whose mantra of saying prayers and taking vitamins spoke directly to Edge from the TV. Perhaps then you would have sat eleventh-row ringside with him in Toronto's SkyDome; it was there he watched Hogan face Ultimate Warrior in the "Ultimate Challenge" at WrestleMania VI, and vowed he would also headline a WrestleMania someday.

Edge's pals at Don Bosco Secondary High knew he was destined for greatness, even writing in his yearbook "Most Likely to Win the WWE World Championship." Yet they couldn't predict he'd receive free wrestling training after winning an essay contest in the Toronto Star. Only his trainers, Sweet Daddy Siki and Ron Hutchison, and those training with him in Sully's Gym, could truly appreciate juggling multiple odd-jobs while wrestling on the independent circuit. But unless they were riding shotgun, they couldn't begin to comprehend Edge's "winter death tours" across frozen north Canadian lakes, or eating only canned tuna for days at a stretch, simply to wrestle in poorly attended venues.
Much due-paying and a recommendation from fellow Canadian Bret "Hit Man" Hart ultimately helped Edge make his WWE debut in June 1998, though few believed he would last. So he made his opponents believe, even if it meant taking chairs to the head, falling off ladders and crashing through tables. He's suffered a torn ACL, ruptured labra, a broken neck, a fractured skull, metal rods in his teeth and countless stitches over the years, but not without giving as good as he's received. Ask any man-or woman-who has gone toe-to-toe with him; they'll tell you why he's called the Rated-R Superstar.

You think you know Edge? Think again. Source: WWE.com

Abilities
Table Match
Move Theft
Object
Resiliency
Durability
Ladder Match

Signature Moves
Edge O'Matic 1
Half Nelson Face Buster

Finishers
Spear 5
Edgecution

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20081030002722545.jpg

Jimmy Wang Yang is not your stereotypical Asian. In fact, if you think he is, you might get a heapin' helpin' of southern hostility. Since SmackDown fans first saw the cowboy-hat wearing Yang, they've gotten an education on the ignorance of assumptions regarding his lifestyle. Why is he supposed to know where the nearest Chinese restaurant is, after all?

All it takes is 30 seconds with Jimmy Wang Yang to be convinced that this guy is 100 percent certified redneck. The SmackDown roster should use some time to brush up on their political correctness because if any Yankees slip up, Jimmy Wang Yang is sure to culture them with a good, ol' fashioned country-style whippin'.

Knowing a thing or two about how looks can stereotype you has perhaps led Yang to another pigeonholed prospect - Shannon Moore. The two may be about as polarly opposite as you can get, but "The Redneck & The Reject" have proven that in the ring, they're one heck of a duo. Source: WWE.com

Abilities
Evasive Dodge
Fan Favorite
Outside Dives
Springboard
Possum Pin

Signature Moves
Enzuigiri 2
Summersault Enzuigiri

Finishers
Moonsault Attack 2
Corkscrew Body Pin 2

Seeing as this game comes out next week, where's the best deal on it? I'm assuming CC or Best Buy will have some bonus DVD offer or something of that sort, and I know GS has the free cooler for preorders. Anyone know of anything?

[quote name='JJSP']Seeing as this game comes out next week, where's the best deal on it? I'm assuming CC or Best Buy will have some bonus DVD offer or something of that sort, and I know GS has the free cooler for preorders. Anyone know of anything?[/quote]

Ummm well last year TRU had it for $10 off plus you got a free Rey Mysterio figure.

I don't know if they'll have it for $10 off this year, but I know they are giving away a D-X figure 2 pack.

My theory on DLC wrestlers and such...

I reckon we'll get a pack with alternate outfits which THE Brian Kendrick would hopefully be a part of.

Then if we get more wrestlers we would probably get Kozlov at least. Guys like Primo and R-Truth, I think they debuted just a bit too late to even be included this year. Unless they are REALLY on the ball and are getting these guys scanned.

We probably won't see guys who hardly get TV time like D'lo, Deuce, Estrada, etc.

People like Burchill, Lea, Funaki, Striker, etc. have an outside chance.

If anything I could see the DLC consist of...

DiBiase
Bourne
Super Crazy
Haas
Kozlov
Maryse
Natalya
Knox
Noble

If they want to get more guys in I'm sure they can throw us Kenny Dykstra and Gregory Helms and just reuse the same scan and everything from last year.

I doubt we will get new match types just because I don't think they will want to give us TOO much and not give us a reason to pick up '10.

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl: at paying money for any of those guys on DLC.[/quote]

I would and I know other people would as well.

People have been complaining since the current gen systems came out about lack of downloadable wrestlers.

So now they are giving it to us.

Although the only guys/girls I really want are Kozlov, Knox, Natalya, and Maryse.

It'd be nice to have Bourne, Helms, Nattie and Thee Brian Kendrick, but otherwise, 60 wrestlers is more than enough

I'd definitely pay for Bourne and Haas.

Especially if they made alternate entrances for Haas where he mocked whoever he was fighting. That would be awesome.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Id pay for Ted Dibiase and Bourne if this is real. I hope it doesnt cost a lot, like Vader DLC.[/quote]

Chances are it'll be a pack of 4 (DiBiase, Crazy, Haas, Bourne) for 1200 points.

[quote name='mykevermin']What evidence is there about the cost of the DLC?[/quote]

I'm hoping it's untrustworthy evidence, 4 characters for 1200 points !! :nottalking:

You said "chances are," which is a phrase that indicates probability.

Now, if you said "maybe..." that would be grammatically appropriate. It would demonstrate that you admit you're making things up.

Allow me to demonstrate myself.

"Maybe SvR2009 will launch at $20 instead of $60 in two weeks."

Ok? With me so far? Now, here's the tricky part:

"Chances are SvR2009 will launch at $20 instead of $60 in two weeks."

Do you see the grammatical distinction? Do you?

Calm down, tex. I'm just asking you to cite your sources. If you want to make shit up, go hogwild. But you're the cat bringing most of the information into this thread from various and sundry other websites, so don't let your undies tighten up on ya if I ask for documentary evidence of something you've said about the game.

[quote name='benjamouth']I'm hoping it's untrustworthy evidence, 4 characters for 1200 points !! :nottalking:[/quote]

Well that would break down to 300 points per wrestler. Which isn't TOO bad, I really don't see them charging any less than 250 per wrestler, that is if they even decided to allow us to buy the wrestlers individually.

If they do, they will probably make to where it would be cheaper just to buy the pack of four.

I'm thinking it will break down something like this...once again...THIS IS JUST A GUESS, THIS IS NO WAY LEGIT...REAL OR OTHERWISE.

New wrestler pack of 4 = 1200 MSP
Individual new wrestlers = 350 MSP
Alt. Attire pack of 4 = 400 MSP
Individual alt. attires = 100 MSP

Give or take 20 MSP on all of them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it broken down like that.

bread's done
Back