X-Men cartoon Vol 1-5, anywhere cheaper than $20 apiece?

I'm waiting to see if a complete collection comes out in the near future, who knows. I wonder if in the years to come any of these will come out on blu-ray or HD. Sometimes that wondering keeps me from buying things these days. Batman TAS on blu-ray? Seriously, could it get any better than that?

[quote name='gojiboy']I'm waiting to see if a complete collection comes out in the near future, who knows. I wonder if in the years to come any of these will come out on blu-ray or HD. Sometimes that wondering keeps me from buying things these days. Batman TAS on blu-ray? Seriously, could it get any better than that?[/QUOTE]

God damn, some of you people... For like the third or fourth time this week, THESE OLD SHOWS WERE NEVER PRODUCED IN HD. BLU-RAYS WOULD BE POINTLESS. THEY WILL NOT BE REMASTERED. THE END.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']God damn, some of you people... For like the third or fourth time this week, THESE OLD SHOWS WERE NEVER PRODUCED IN HD. BLU-RAYS WOULD BE POINTLESS. THEY WILL NOT BE REMASTERED. THE END.[/QUOTE]

Really? The creator of Heaven and Earth damn all these people because they want their animated series on Bluray...lighten up man. If they can remaster the oringinal Twilight Zone anything is possible. Don't you want your Utena on Bluray?

[quote name='evilomar']Really? The creator of Heaven and Earth damn all these people because they want their animated series on Bluray...lighten up man. If they can remaster the oringinal Twilight Zone anything is possible. Don't you want your Utena on Bluray?[/QUOTE]

the problem is not the mastering but in the fact that a lot of these shows were only drawn at a certain "resolution" and the only way would be to literally have the creators re-draw or have a computer re-render from the ground up the entire stills/cells.

Even if there weren't any upgrade in picture quality, there are other advantages to a bluray package: fewer discs that are scratch resistant and might be cheaper to get as a complete set as opposed to getting these individual releases.

So yeah, lighten up, dude.

True story, best you'll ever get image wise is on the DVD sets out now ... of course a complete series release would be ideal for X-men, as well as additional special features, so that might be worth holding out for. However, with Batman: TAS I think your best bet is the series collection that came out a couple years ago, if you can find one or are willing to pay a bit more. There's no way it will ever look better than that. The only benefit to a blu-ray release would be fewer discs.

[quote name='wormraper']the problem is not the mastering but in the fact that a lot of these shows were only drawn at a certain "resolution" and the only way would be to literally have the creators re-draw or have a computer re-render from the ground up the entire stills/cells.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's a costly and time-consuming process that has yet to be done for *any* American animated series. Plus, like I said before, this is literally the third or fourth time in the past week where I've seen people say "Eh, maybe I'll wait for a Blu-ray release" when discussing SD cartoons. There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding about how this sort of thing works.

And as an aside, HD Utena *does* exist, though it's not yet on Blu-ray. The series was remastered and released in Japan last year, but only on DVD. Hopefully they won't put those HD masters to waste, and release it on Blu eventually.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']God damn, some of you people... For like the third or fourth time this week, THESE OLD SHOWS WERE NEVER PRODUCED IN HD. BLU-RAYS WOULD BE POINTLESS. THEY WILL NOT BE REMASTERED. THE END.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they would. Just because you think they won't does not mean that is true. Would itbe a huge revelation? No, but being bumped up to 1080i or 1080p would give a slightly better picture. Have you seen the Looney Tunes shorts on some Blu-rays/HD DVDs? What about Charlie Brown Christmas? Horton Hears a Who? Grinch Who Stole Christmas?

Regardless, sales of these would never warrant a Blu-ray purchase. BD on TV sucks balls right now, especially catalog (where is Justice League Season 2 on Blu-ray? Never coming). Anyone who continues with the 'eh, I'll wait for the BD' for some of this stuff are smoking some really good stuff because it'll never happen. There are far, far more other TV properties that will give a BD release over a 90's cartoon series on DVD.

I didn't even know that volume 5 was released.

[quote name='kube00']Target has each set for $17[/QUOTE]
Any idea how long they're on sale for? I probably wasn't going to swing by Target until next week but $17 is probably the cheapest these will get.

gohastings.com has vol 1 - 5 used for something like $10 & change up to $15. I've never bought a DVD from them so I have no idea what the condition would be but you might want to give it a shot.

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']I didn't even know that volume 5 was released.

Any idea how long they're on sale for? I probably wasn't going to swing by Target until next week but $17 is probably the cheapest these will get.[/QUOTE]

That's their normal price on them, if they have them in-stock.

Yeah they're $16.99 each at Target; the final volume, Vol. 5 came out in May IIRC. I still need 3 and 4, but I'll probably wait until they're on sale somewhere...possibly as part of one of the Toys R Us B1G150% DVDs or whatnot deals.

Outside of those two, I think I've got all the major cartoons on my list...

This is an amazingly well timed post. I've had this show in my backlog forever and just finished Volume 2 last night. I was planning out today when I realized - oh crap - I never bought volumes 3-5. What kind of a cheap ass gamer am I?!?!??

I can't even properly stack my backlog. Guess I'll have to move onto the fifty some video games while I wait for this to ship. Thanks, all.

So if all those "old shows" are never coming in HD because they were never created for HD... how is GIJoe the Movie coming to Blu-Ray HD when that is 10 years older and was direct to video?

:drool:

[quote name='spooie_redux']So if all those "old shows" are never coming in HD because they were never created for HD... how is GIJoe the Movie coming to Blu-Ray HD when that is 10 years older and was direct to video?

:drool:[/QUOTE]

That movie was originally intended to be shown theatrically, and as such, a film print for it exists. Now you know!

[quote name='MSUHitman']That's their normal price on them, if they have them in-stock.[/QUOTE]
Huh, they must have lowered the price since Christmas. I got them at $20 each for my boyfriend at that time.

[quote name='hotstud19us']And knowing is half the battle.[/QUOTE]
I always think this (silently or sometimes out loud) when people are like, "And now you know."

Yea, I've been waiting for Complete Series DVD set similar to what they did with Batman Animated Series. Hope it comes soon...or find good deal on the indiviual discs.

Just keep checking them on amazon and you should have it show up in your gold box. I've gotten all 5 for under $20 and I think got most around $15.

I found these at ToysRUs awhile back when they had a B1G1 sale, which made vol. 3&4 $20+tax total. Vol. 1 and 2 I bought off Amazon, since no one had them cheaper. If you're not willing to wait, I'd just go with Amazon.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yes, they would. Just because you think they won't does not mean that is true. Would it be a huge revelation? No, but being bumped up to 1080i or 1080p would give a slightly better picture. Have you seen the Looney Tunes shorts on some Blu-rays/HD DVDs? What about Charlie Brown Christmas? Horton Hears a Who? Grinch Who Stole Christmas?[/QUOTE]

Those you mentioned however are sourced from film which has a higher resolution than the SD tapes that were used for the 90s cartoons. So naturally they will benefit from being given 1080i/1080p transfers and released on Blu. Yeah those X-Men cartoons can be upconverted for released on Blu but it would be a complete waste of both resolution and bitrate to do that when most people's Blu/DVD player can upconvert it straight from the DVD with the same result.

They'll never release this show on blu-ray. Look at the dvd versions, they show there age, no work done on them at all. I think we should feel lucky we even got the show on dvd and that they finished the show.

(spoiler ahead) I just finished watching Volume 5. And the last episode was horrible, so many plot holes. Why the hell did beast say that the machines they have hooked up to professor x will only keep him alive for awhile. Why? Do they run off batteries. WTF. Whoever wrote that episode should be shot. Well whoever wrote any episode on the last volume should be shot.

They probably wrote it with the idea in mind that the series was going to continue. Alas it did not.

As far as the DVD release for The X-Men cartoons they look and sound pretty good given the era they are from. I'm pretty happy with them as is.

bread's done
Back