X-Men The Animated Series - Vols 1 & 2 Out Now / 3 & 4 Sept 15th

Swift900

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hey guys, I've recently been looking to pick up a collection of the X-Men animated series that appeared on Fox back in the 90's. So far, this is all I can find...

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever ordered from these guys? If so, how is the quality?

At $79.99 that comes out to just a little over a dollar an episode. Not too bad IMO.

I've been wanting this series for a very long time as well, but to my knowledge, there hasn't been an official release of seasons. I may be wrong though...

yep bootleg.. no official release.

if you don't care that you're buying an illegal copy.. do it, because i don't think it'll get put on DVD for a very long time.. if ever.

Don't give some loser $80 who downloaded the episodes off the internet for free.

What the Shaq-fu are you doing?

[quote name='Jeoff']Don't give some loser $80 who downloaded the episodes off the internet for free.

[/quote]

Seriously, you'd be better off seeing if it will air on Jetix or something and just record from the TV.

I imagine it's possible that the series could be released on DVD, but I dunno. I enjoyed it when it was out, but it never got the cult following that Batman: TAS or Gargoyles got.

I thought the rights to this show and Spider-Man or whichever ones had the same issue with who could release them made some progress awhile back. Its Disney who owns these now right? I thought there was some talk about how an official set could finally happen now, though maybe not.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I thought the rights to this show and Spider-Man or whichever ones had the same issue with who could release them made some progress awhile back. Its Disney who owns these now right? I thought there was some talk about how an official set could finally happen now, though maybe not.[/quote]

If Disney owns the rights then we're screwed. They might not even release the rest of Gargoyles.

[quote name='Bezerker']WEll, at least we got X-Men Evolution (the 3rd season is coming out soon)[/quote]

I didn't realize Evolution was out! I rather liked it when I saw it on TV.

Xmen evolutions for some wierd ass reason release them a few episodes on a dvd. So to compile the entire shows run is amazingly exspensive. And for that 90's cartoo thats alot of money for the bootlegs, if your hard press to watch it check out ebay. But fox still owns this xmen franchise and I doubt you will be seeing this anytime soon in an official release. But let me tell you, this series (90's) is even better than i rememberd. Check it out one way or another.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']If Disney owns the rights then we're screwed. They might not even release the rest of Gargoyles.[/QUOTE]
I disagree. Disney also picked up the rights to The Tick, and that's getting a DVD release this summer. The Gargoyles situation has to do with poor sales, but it seems as if Disney is willing to experiment with some of their properties right now. I'd say it's more possible now than it's ever been before.

I used to love the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons when they were airing on Fox, but since Jetix started airing them, the magic has died. The shows are actually quite terrible. There goes more of my childhood.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I disagree. Disney also picked up the rights to The Tick, and that's getting a DVD release this summer. The Gargoyles situation has to do with poor sales, but it seems as if Disney is willing to experiment with some of their properties right now. I'd say it's more possible now than it's ever been before.

I used to love the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons when they were airing on Fox, but since Jetix started airing them, the magic has died. The shows are actually quite terrible. There goes more of my childhood.[/quote]

:lol:

Yeah, the nostalgia with this show doesn't hold up as well as the others I mentioned. I'd still buy it for the right price though. :)

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I disagree. Disney also picked up the rights to The Tick, and that's getting a DVD release this summer. The Gargoyles situation has to do with poor sales, but it seems as if Disney is willing to experiment with some of their properties right now. I'd say it's more possible now than it's ever been before.

I used to love the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons when they were airing on Fox, but since Jetix started airing them, the magic has died. The shows are actually quite terrible. There goes more of my childhood.[/QUOTE]

I think the worst offender of a show being better in your nostalgic memory than what it actually was, is the original Transformers.

[quote name='KirinLemon']I used to love the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons when they were airing on Fox, but since Jetix started airing them, the magic has died. The shows are actually quite terrible. There goes more of my childhood.[/quote]

Now that I think about it, you may have a great point. I saw a couple episodes of Spider-Man on Jetix, and they didn't seem that great. I also saw a couple episodes of Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers on Cartoon Disney and I felt the same way. (And when I was younger, I loved Rescue Rangers!) Maybe I should watch a few more eps before they hopefully release sets. Now I'm worried maybe all my favorite childhood cartoons would turn out the same way! :shock: (Is the old TMNT still good?!?)

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I used to love the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons when they were airing on Fox, but since Jetix started airing them, the magic has died. The shows are actually quite terrible. There goes more of my childhood.[/QUOTE]

I was so excited about the Venom episodes on Spider-Man during its intial, that I didn't realize that the show uses like 2 frames of animation for non-fighting scenes.

[quote name='Rig']Now I'm worried maybe all my favorite childhood cartoons would turn out the same way! :shock: (Is the old TMNT still good?!?)[/QUOTE]
No, it's pretty terrible, but I've still been picking up the DVDs. The storytelling is so haphazard, but it gives the show a goofy charm. Not to mention those discs are cheap!

[quote name='terribledeli']I was so excited about the Venom episodes on Spider-Man during its intial, that I didn't realize that the show uses like 2 frames of animation for non-fighting scenes.[/QUOTE]
Spider-Man has a few episodes that are just beautifully animated. Actually, the first season in general is fairly well done, though few look as good as the pilot episode (The Lizard). From season two onward, things start to get really ugly, and every now and then it'll treat you to something that looks decent just to keep your interest up. The reason for the drops in quality is that, to produce an animated series under such heavy time constraints, the episodes have to be outsourced to various animation studios around the world (but mostly in Asia). This applies to both American and Japanese animation.

I wish these DVD sets would come out at some point in this format with Disney & Marvel reaching some sort of resolution, but who knows I still love the 90's Spider-Man and X-Men series and think they were excellent up until the latter seasons. I think the X-Men series was a terrific animated series and was actually more faithful to the comics than any of the animated series up until season 4. Spider-man was solid but was tweaked to appeal to the young demographic. Disney holds the rights to the series and the problem is an argument with Marvel on a variety of issues and I believe there are/were some lawsuits filed.

I've done a little more research and here's what I've found:

Only a few select episodes have officially been released on DVD. So far there are no plans from official release of season boxsets. The episodes that have been released are:

* The Phoenix Saga
* Sanctuary/Weapon X, Lies and Videotape/Proteus
* Reunion/Out of the Past/No Mutant Is an Island
* Legend of Wolverine

Additionally, I checked on eBay for similar bootlegs of of the Animated series and they are marked at most, less than a quarter of what the site listed the collection as. fuck me indeed!

I have 2 of the 5 discs ( Legend of Wolverine and the Proteus One) and one VHS tape of Beyond Good and evil 3 part episode . The others are OOP and very rare, even though i know a store with the Reunion episode. Yes, we all want Fox, Disney and Marvel to team up and release seasons of X-men, Spider-man and maybe even Silver Surfer (fuck the Avengers and Spider-man Unlimited). They need to do it soon, at least at the same time as X-Men 3 hits DVD.

Bah, stupid copyright negotiations. You'd think it would benefit all parties to just arrive at some resolution and cash in on the X-man movie hype. Now is probably the most profitable time to release the series.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Bah, stupid copyright negotiations. You'd think it would benefit all parties to just arrive at some resolution and cash in on the X-man movie hype. Now is probably the most profitable time to release the series.[/QUOTE]

Pure Crazy Talk!!!!!!!!

But seriously Disney is an odd company, you would think now owning Power Rangers as well as the wildly popular X-men and Spiderman cartoons from the 90's all of these would have complete boxsets by now, yet squat.

I sure do hope we get some official DVD boxset releases. Pisses me off that crap like the dumb reality shows and Oprah get boxset releases yet stuff that people really want (like the X-Men animated series) does not. Something in this picture doesn't belong here...

if you want a cheap alternative for the 90's x-men you can get the set of Pizza Hut/X-men videotapes from the early 90's. Not sure how many there are total. I actually picked a couple up from Pizza Hut back in the day, and regulary see them at yard sales for a quarter a piece.

[quote name='cag1000']if you want a cheap alternative for the 90's x-men you can get the set of Pizza Hut/X-men videotapes from the early 90's. Not sure how many there are total. I actually picked a couple up from Pizza Hut back in the day, and regulary see them at yard sales for a quarter a piece.[/QUOTE]

There are 2 of them, which are the first 4 episodes of the show. I got them then, I think I still have them now.

[quote name='coolsteel']Pure Crazy Talk!!!!!!!!

But seriously Disney is an odd company, you would think now owning Power Rangers as well as the wildly popular X-men and Spiderman cartoons from the 90's all of these would have complete boxsets by now, yet squat.[/quote]

one would think it would benefit everyone just to come to an agreement and everyone make money...

dwass

Listen to The World At Large by Modest Mouse : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/12989375

[quote name='coolsteel']Pure Crazy Talk!!!!!!!!

But seriously Disney is an odd company, you would think now owning Power Rangers as well as the wildly popular X-men and Spiderman cartoons from the 90's all of these would have complete boxsets by now, yet squat.[/quote]

you would think they would all want to make money instead making no money at all...stupid companies....''

dwass

Listen to The World At Large by Modest Mouse : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/12989375

I still have the first four episodes on VHS or something when Pizza Hut was giving them away with large pizzas back in the early 90's.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think the worst offender of a show being better in your nostalgic memory than what it actually was, is the original Transformers.[/quote]

Which is why I've steadfastly refused to watch it now, much less buy it. That, along with SuperFriends, will live on in my memory only.

I found Thundercats S1V1 at a Suncoast closing, and debated getting it. I finally did, and I'm surprised at how well it holds up. It's amazing to watch it catch my son's imagination, just as it did mine.

The Tick, though? Hurray! I'm first in line for that.

[quote name='Swift900']I've done a little more research and here's what I've found:

Only a few select episodes have officially been released on DVD. So far there are no plans from official release of season boxsets. The episodes that have been released are:

* The Phoenix Saga
* Sanctuary/Weapon X, Lies and Videotape/Proteus
* Reunion/Out of the Past/No Mutant Is an Island
* Legend of Wolverine

Additionally, I checked on eBay for similar bootlegs of of the Animated series and they are marked at most, less than a quarter of what the site listed the collection as. fuck me indeed![/QUOTE]
All of those except Wolverine are OOP and hard to find (been that way for at least a few years now I believe).

[quote name='coolsteel']But seriously Disney is an odd company, you would think now owning Power Rangers as well as the wildly popular X-men and Spiderman cartoons from the 90's all of these would have complete boxsets by now, yet squat.[/quote]

Disney is actually smart, but its in a way that benefits them, not consumers.

Their whole approach to DVD has been to make a steady revenue stream for themselves, rather than releasing things when they can or as soon as they get ahold of something.

I suppose Disney staying profitable and stable long term is good for consumers, but it's still annoying.

I picked up the Phoenix Saga for $14.99 at Wherehouse a few years ago. They actually had them all. I also have a bootleg collection of all the episodes that I got off ebay for $40.

I loved these shows logicly everyone should wait awhile after x3 is out thats when someone would be most likely to release a dvd set.

Same for spiderman wait till after spiderman 3 .

[quote name='Skelah']I loved these shows logicly everyone should wait awhile after x3 is out thats when someone would be most likely to release a dvd set.

Same for spiderman wait till after spiderman 3 .[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt it make more sense to release them around X-men 1 or X2? Yeah...but they didn't.

[quote name='gizmogc']Wouldnt it make more sense to release them around X-men 1 or X2? Yeah...but they didn't.[/QUOTE]

Well, if X3: The Last Stand is indeed the final X-men film, I'd say this may be our best and also final chance at seeing an official X-Men the animated series DVD Collection. Here's to hoping... :)

On the plus side, the X-Men Evolution season 3 set is coming out next week. Way more entertaining and well-written than the old series, in my opinion.

[quote name='blandstalker']Disney is actually smart, but its in a way that benefits them, not consumers.

Their whole approach to DVD has been to make a steady revenue stream for themselves, rather than releasing things when they can or as soon as they get ahold of something.

I suppose Disney staying profitable and stable long term is good for consumers, but it's still annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they have their grubby paws involved in Muppets dvds now as well. It just sucks when more than one company are involved with the same intellectual property.

i just joined because of this forum and i was looking for the box set.
there must be some way we could send this forum to disney to get their attention

[quote name='starman9000']Yeah, they have their grubby paws involved in Muppets dvds now as well. It just sucks when more than one company are involved with the same intellectual property.[/QUOTE]

actually those muppets dvds are well done

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']On the plus side, the X-Men Evolution season 3 set is coming out next week. Way more entertaining and well-written than the old series, in my opinion.[/quote]

Evo's characters looked so goofy and the storylines were so childish I could not take the show seriously at all. But I respect your opinion...

[quote name='Kuma']actually those muppets dvds are well done[/QUOTE]

Some of them, but the oddball titles, like Emmit Otter, have been butchered.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']On the plus side, the X-Men Evolution season 3 set is coming out next week. Way more entertaining and well-written than the old series, in my opinion.[/quote]
I thought that it was really disapointing. The characters were nothing like the comics and original series.

bread's done
Back