XBL Deal of the Week (3/30 - 4/5) Alien Hominid HD 400 Points

In for one. I regret not taking more advantage of the Target coupons last year to get cheap point cards. Oh well, live and learn.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']For those of you looking for a turbo button...

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-v2edg33Y9hZ9zQ16hcoPfQ

Can't beat this for $10, if you can find it in a local store. The stick got pretty poor reviews, but hell, the arcade games alone cost more than $10.[/quote]I wouldn't touch that controller. It's only good for those needing the pcb for making their own stick. It's a major POS! I'd only buy for mods and the included games. Yes, I have tried it not long after it came out. LOL it really is as bad as people say!

Rmb is right. The Madcatz retro controller is worthless. Thankfully their FightingPads and Fighting Sticks are much better.

I'll likely be getting this. Indeed I wasn't expecting the hard difficulty of the demo when I tried it. I guess I was comparing it to Castle Crashers, which to me wasn't hard at all (but fun). I'm sure the game as a whole will be great though.

hmm just picked up a 1600 point card so i have a total of 1640. im thinking this for 400, gears maps for 800 and i guess a GHWT track pack for the remaining 440.

This game really is great, and the difficulty really isn't that bad. If you play it for a little bit, and learn that you have to duck and roll throughout the majority of the game, then the game really isn't a problem. You can even put it on Easy difficulty in the options, as the default is Medium.

[quote name='sliknik27']I mean, what's the point of playing a game where you never even have to worry about dying? Grow a backbone people![/quote]

Quote of the year. Games today are so damn easy that its always disappointing for me whenever I finish a game. A game can be easy, but it losses that satisfactory feeling you get when beating an epic boss or something. I'm only 18 and even I miss the days when games were challenging AND fun. I'll definitely be buying Alien Hominid.

[quote name='Distrato']Quote of the year. Games today are so damn easy that its always disappointing for me whenever I finish a game. A game can be easy, but it losses that satisfactory feeling you get when beating an epic boss or something. I'm only 18 and even I miss the days when games were challenging AND fun. I'll definitely be buying Alien Hominid.[/quote]
I will never, ever understand this mindset considering how many really hard games I've been playing as of late.

[quote name='rmb']I wouldn't touch that controller. It's only good for those needing the pcb for making their own stick. It's a major POS! I'd only buy for mods and the included games. Yes, I have tried it not long after it came out. LOL it really is as bad as people say![/quote]

[quote name='eastx']Rmb is right. The Madcatz retro controller is worthless. Thankfully their FightingPads and Fighting Sticks are much better.[/quote]

While I don't disagree with either of you...considering I put that it got bad reviews...you really can't beat it for $10. The three games alone are worth more than that. I am going to guess that there are better alternatives in terms of a controller with a turbo button, but if someone is just looking for something to use on a few arcade games, this is still a good deal, despite the crappy nature of the stick.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Because it's fun?[/QUOTE]

Amen! I'd rather have fun playing an easy game then throwing my controller in frustration because I've tried for over an hour to get past one little part in a game that requires genius memorization and perfectionist timing. I'm not 14 anymore, I have a job and a family, and I play games that are fun because they reduce stress, I sure as hell aren't going to play a game that INDUCES stress!

[quote name='Cmosfm']Amen! I'd rather have fun playing an easy game then throwing my controller in frustration because I've tried for over an hour to get past one little part in a game that requires genius memorization and perfectionist timing. I'm not 14 anymore, I have a job and a family, and I play games that are fun because they reduce stress, I sure as hell aren't going to play a game that INDUCES stress![/quote]

I don't think that a game has to be difficult to be fun, but I definitely enjoy an occasional challenge (Alien Hominid is perfect for filling that role). I'm also not keen on memorization, but I love to have my brain (strategy) and reflexes (action) tested. I've played some insanely difficult games, but I've never felt stressed out by them or thrown a controller. Maybe I just have more patience than the average CAG, but I like the idea of conquering an epic boss or dancing my way through a bullet-filled level.

But anyways, this conversation doesn't really belong in the Alien Hominid deal thread. The game is great and is not too tough (especially on the easiest difficulty setting). I'd recommend it to anyone who loves solid controls and engaging action. The only people who shouldn't play this are those who dislike the entire 2D shooter genre.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Amen! I'd rather have fun playing an easy game then throwing my controller in frustration because I've tried for over an hour to get past one little part in a game that requires genius memorization and perfectionist timing. I'm not 14 anymore, I have a job and a family, and I play games that are fun because they reduce stress, I sure as hell aren't going to play a game that INDUCES stress![/QUOTE]

This is all exactly how I feel. That's why selectable difficulties that are true to their names are a good idea. Easy on Alien Hominid is not actually easy. But somebody says we shouldn't talk about difficulty in games, so I guess that's all I have to say.

This is a fantastic game and well worth the $5 (it was worth the $10 I spent to get it when it first came out). True it's very challenging but still fun.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Amen! I'd rather have fun playing an easy game then throwing my controller in frustration because I've tried for over an hour to get past one little part in a game that requires genius memorization and perfectionist timing. I'm not 14 anymore, I have a job and a family, and I play games that are fun because they reduce stress, I sure as hell aren't going to play a game that INDUCES stress![/quote]

Agree wholeheartedly. Sure, accomplishment feels nice, but I play games for fun first.

And this does belong in this game's deal thread. If it's not the kind of game a person is looking for, then it's not a great deal for them, is it?

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']Great, time for me to turn my 360 back on to download it... I just wish it had been up on time since I was still on at that point.[/QUOTE]The game was suppose to be on sale today, and it is. I don't think they ever announced a specific hour the sale was going live.

If you don't want to turn on your system (which sounds a bit odd on a gaming website), you could always just go buy it through their website.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/

I'm going to download the demo again tonight to see if I'm going to pick this up. I tried the demo a long time ago but I need a fresh take on it. I'm going to pick up some points in the next day or so. This might get picked up when I grab The Maw.

For one, if you guys are complaining about difficulty... you are crazy! I had very few troubles with this game. Not sos few to make it too easy, but not enough to make it very difficult.

EITHER WAY. I must say, that if you can, buy this game. It was a great buy for 800pts when I got it as soon as it came out, but for 400pts it is a steal. Plus now you can even use Alien Hominid in Castle Crashers if you have that game too (also an amazing game)

[quote name='chickenboybryan']Is it better then the one on the old school xbox?[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong internet, but in the U.S. this only came out on PS2 and NGC. It was SUPPOSED to come out on Xbox and never did as far as I know. I think the XBLA version is the only way to play on 360.

also I didn't see it before on the post, but this is cheaper than used PS2 and GC versions at gamestop. The discs are 9.99 used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked and it's still 800 points. Am I missing something?

[quote name='PvtChurch']I just checked and it's still 800 points. Am I missing something?[/quote]

You have to sign in and be a GOLD member as the deals are only available to Gold Members.

of course if you read the previous page you would already know that....

So, after reading all this, I assume most of you recommend this?? Well, time to use those dusty ol' 400 points.

[quote name='R_Fusion']So, after reading all this, I assume most of you recommend this??[/QUOTE] Absolutely. This game is right up there with the Contra & Metal Slug series IMHO. I have it on PS2 but couldn't resist buying the game again for the HD at this price.

[quote name='bywaytm']You have to sign in and be a GOLD member as the deals are only available to Gold Members.

of course if you read the previous page you would already know that....[/quote]

That's why then. My Gold subscription ran out last month and I didn't see a whole lot of reason to renew until I find a new multiplayer fix.

Also terribly sorry I didn't feel like reading through five pages of people saying "Bought" and "In for one" :roll:

[quote name='BrolyB593']For one, if you guys are complaining about difficulty... you are crazy! I had very few troubles with this game. Not sos few to make it too easy, but not enough to make it very difficult.[/QUOTE]

Take the bosses, for example. You have to memorize their patterns and attacks to beat them without dying repeatedly. There's very little time to respond to what they do, so if you don't know what to do already, you will die.

My complaint - say you had a friend over and he's never played it before. He feels like going through the game with you. It's not gonna happen - he'll run out of lives and continues because he hasn't memorized everything yet.

Want this game, but I've only got 320 MS points. Wish there was a way I could get somehow get just 80 more because I don't feel like purchasing another MS point card just yet.

[quote name='gee_orge']Want this game, but I've only got 320 MS points. Wish there was a way I could get somehow get just 80 more because I don't feel like purchasing another MS point card just yet.[/quote]

You could just buy 500 Microsoft Points for $6.25 on the Marketplace site.

[quote name='xrayzwei']Correct me if I'm wrong internet, but in the U.S. this only came out on PS2 and NGC. It was SUPPOSED to come out on Xbox and never did as far as I know. I think the XBLA version is the only way to play on 360.
[/quote]

You are right that it was never released in the USA, but it did have a Euro only release.

So I understand you have to be a Gold Member for the deal to apply... Anyone know if I use a One Month Xbox Live Trial, will I be considered a Gold Member?

bread's done
Back