XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the USA. This includes the Deal of the Week, KINECT Central sale item(s), and any other 3rd-party sales or promotions. We have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases in the 2nd post. Most sales are for one week. Feel free to post if you see anything not listed here.

Please note:

• All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. Major Nelson usually updates us with new sales information every other Tuesday. When offers are validated by Moderators, it will be added to the OP as time permits.
  • ALL OFFERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! No information within this thread can or should be construed as accurate (or still valid), therefore ...
  • Always verify Xbox Live Marketplace prices before your purchase!
  • Some sales are intended for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY, as noted within each section.
  • Spend wisely, have fun, and enjoy!

7/2 - 7/8 ... Borderlands DLC

7/9 - 7/15 ... Dishonored and Metal Gear Rising DLC and More

• Dishonored Games on Demand - Price Unknown
    DLC - The Knife of Dunwall - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Dunwall City Trials - 200 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Void Walkers Arsenal - 160 MSP (50% off)

[*]Metal Gear Rising Revengeance DLC
  • Jetstream - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • Raiden Custom Body - 80 MSP (50% off)
  • Bladewolf  - 320 MSP (43% off)

[*]XBLA - Battle: Los Angeles - 400 MSP (50% off)

• Confirmed as future free games: Halo 3

Sales & Specials: Open to Everyone!
NOTE ... if the start & end dates are not well-defined, ACT FAST! since these
"sales" could end anytime. However, they may also be permanent markdowns.

Ultimate Game One Day Sales:

7/2 ... Day One:

7/3 ... Day Two:

7/4 ... Day Three:

7/5 ... Day Four: (will last through 7/7)

7/2 - 7/8 ... Ultimate Games Persistent Sales:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Kinect Central sales

7/2 - ??? ... Unannounced Rocksmith DLC Markdowns

7/2 - ??? ... Other Unannounced Markdowns

7/2 - 7/8 ... Robocop and Fast and Furious Avatar Sale

• Please check the avatar store on your Xbox 360 for more information

7/9 - 7/15 ... Just Dance 4

• Price and content unknown

Monthly Marketplace Markdowns
Announced ... as confirmed on the Xbox 360's own dashboard, or corroborated from other sources (PSN, dev/pub, etc).

Unannounced ... from Xbox.com scrapes. *These may or may not be permanent, so judge accordingly.

Unannounced Price Drops for July:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
This Spelunky love-fest is very suspicious. Based on last week's incident it's safe to assume that half the people in the forum are employed by Mossmouth.

[quote name='ooga']This Spelunky love-fest is very suspicious. Based on last week's incident it's safe to assume that half the people in the forum are employed by Mossmouth.[/QUOTE]

Last weeks incident? What happened?

[quote name='ooga']This Spelunky love-fest is very suspicious. Based on last week's incident it's safe to assume that half the people in the forum are employed by Mossmouth.[/QUOTE]
He knows too much. SWARM! SWARM!

LOL

mossmouth = Derek Yu

[quote name='Blade3D']Just to confirm Dragonborn will not be on sale next week as far as we know?

If so, I'll get Spelunky. I guess worse case scenario is I actually have to buy points.[/QUOTE]

Can someone point out to me where it is stated that Dragonborn will not be on sale next week?

I was so pumped...

[quote name='ooga']No[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Decided to pick up Spelunky.

[quote name='Shifty Effect']Can someone point out to me where it is stated that Dragonborn will not be on sale next week?

I was so pumped...[/QUOTE]
Major Nelson's blog. He edited the upcoming sales and removed Dragonborn from the list.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Major Nelson's blog. He edited the upcoming sales and removed Dragonborn from the list.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see. Another disappointing sale next week. Oh noes!

[quote name='The Ebbtide']But they're not gamers.
[/QUOTE]

Your definition was almost accurate. Gamers are those that play games. There's no "genuinely" about it.

My point is that it's not up to you or I to determine whether someone's reasons for playing games are "good enough" for them to be considered a gamer. If you play games, you're a gamer. Simple as that.

You obviously have a lot of issues with boosting. I have no problem with that, especially because as you pointed out, it can often interfere with the enjoyment of others. However, I'm confused as to why you wrote a thousand words about the evils of boosting when that had nothing to do with my point. Therefore, Lance Armstrong analogies aren't going to sway me, either, because boosting wasn't part of my argument.

My point is whether you play games to get achievements, to have fun, to escape reality, to place high on leaderboards, or whatever reason, you're a gamer.

If you need evidence of how silly the term "real gamer" is, look no further than down from your post, where someone quoted you and mentioned that *their* version of real gamer excludes anyone who doesn't "appreciate all genres". Um, what? So if I don't like RPGs or platformers, I'm not a real gamer? What about sports games? Oh, wait...it's OKAY to not like sports games, I'm sure. No problem there.

See how silly and arbitrary that is?

So, gaming because you like unlocking achievements means you're not a real gamer. What about gaming to beat your friends' scores? How is that different? What about the people who used to drop quarter after quarter into Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, or whatever else in order to get the high score? What about people who spent hundreds of hours grinding in Disgaea to max out everything? Where do we draw the line? At whatever it means to *you* to "genuinely" game?

If it makes you feel good to label people and sit in judgment over their "realness", I can't stop you from doing so and I really don't care to. I stand by my point that designating people as "real" or not according to a) why they game b) what they play or even c) how much they play is exactly the kind of exclusionary bullshit that makes this a less enjoyable hobby. That's not to mention that none of us should forget that our own personal definitions of what a "real gamer" is matter only to us, anyway.

On a side note, it's funny that we can all agree that achievements are generally worthless and only really mean something if they're earned, yet people get so upset when others unlock them through cheesy methods. :whistle2:k I get that if it messes with online play, you can get annoyed, but as far as someone cheesing an achievement making *your* achievement mean less to you? Why would that be the case? If some dude got carried up Mt. Everest on someone else's back and then bragged about climbing it and you had climbed it legitimately, would his claim really make you feel like you accomplished less? Or would you just laugh at him and ignore him? If you get that upset about sites like True Achievements or people's inflated gamerscores, I think you may have issues of your own, my friend.

My argument was not about whether boosting was cheating, like I said before. However, I'll play ball with your Lance Armstrong analogy, because it actually helps me prove my point.

Was Lance a cheater? Yes. BUT- he was also a cyclist.

[quote name='kayne2000']
so for me a real gamer is someone that enjoys video games of the entire spectrum. i dont mean play every type of game but has a legitament joy for them and doesn't just limit themselves to say only rock band or angry birds or something. the people that actually keep the industry alive as consumers. i realize this may not make sense entirely but it does to me. i would agree that guy chasing 1 million gamer points is NOT a real gamer and neither are the people that boost constantly and thats all they do as they have no enjoyment nor is it really possible to find enjoyment by boosting 98% of the time...yes some will say someone might enjoy it but thats really not possible. some things just are not enjoyable and represent have a deadness of soul really or emptiness inside.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that the dude who has racked up nearly a million gamerscore has bought a LOT of games. So he's obviously helping keep the industry alive.
He also plays a lot of different games across all genres. So he meets two of your three criteria. See how silly and arbitrary this "real gamer" stuff is?

I think it's enough to feel superior that you're playing for "the right reasons" and those who achievement whore have a "deadness of soul". No need to decide that they don't have the right to be called gamers, despite having played thousands of games. ;)

The casual gamer stuff you said is just terrible. It's exclusionary and unnecessary, and doesn't encourage casual gamers to become more involved in the hobby. If it makes you happy, just call them that: "casual gamer". There you have it. It's still under the umbrella of "gamer", after all. But now, they can stay in their little category, far from your category of "really real gamer who games for all the right reasons and in just the right way" and you can still feel better than them.

ON TOPIC: I wish I could join in on the Spelunky love, but I've strangely never been that into platformers. Occasionally I can get into one, but as my backlog has grown I've been less and less likely to give them a try.

That said, I'm still crossing my fingers that somebody just messed up and Dragonborn will be on sale. Though, I've already decided I'm not paying full price for any Skyrim DLC, so I'll wait it out if need be.

[quote name='Timediver']Why are you guys arguing over achievements? Sorry, I'm new here :) Anyway, was just wondering when this thread would be updated. I was hoping it would have info on the next set of sales.

My 2 cents regarding achievements: Boosting is fine! Who cares? It hurts no one. I can see where the guy who is against is coming from, though. I really enjoyed Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, and I wanted to show that by getting all of its achievements, but there was one ridiculous weapon mastery achievements that entailed getting dozens of multikills with some the games crappiest weapons -- and I just was not willing to invest the time in that. However, I wouldn't fault anyone who decided to boost for that or anything like it. They're only 'wasting' their own time. If they're happy to do that, I don't see why I or anyone else should give a s***.

I didn't read too far back, so I'm not too sure about the 'cheating' some of you are referring to, though. Save file manipulation/hacking or whatever is a no-no imo.[/QUOTE]
I'm playing Warhammer a lot right now. 16 melta gun multi kills is not happening in normal gameplay.

[quote name='kayne2000']
so for me a real gamer is someone that enjoys video games of the entire spectrum. i dont mean play every type of game but has a legitament joy for them and doesn't just limit themselves to say only rock band or angry birds or something. the people that actually keep the industry alive as consumers. i realize this may not make sense entirely but it does to me. i would agree that guy chasing 1 million gamer points is NOT a real gamer and neither are the people that boost constantly and thats all they do as they have no enjoyment nor is it really possible to find enjoyment by boosting 98% of the time...yes some will say someone might enjoy it but thats really not possible. some things just are not enjoyable and represent have a deadness of soul really or emptiness inside.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that the dude who has racked up nearly a million gamerscore has bought a LOT of games. So he's obviously helping keep the industry alive.
He also plays a lot of different games across all genres. So he meets two of your three criteria. See how silly and arbitrary this "real gamer" stuff is?

I think it's enough to feel superior that you're playing for "the right reasons" and those who achievement whore have a "deadness of soul". No need to decide that they don't have the right to be called gamers, despite having played thousands of games. ;)

The casual gamer stuff you said is just terrible. It's exclusionary and unnecessary, and doesn't encourage casual gamers to become more involved in the hobby. If it makes you happy, just call them that: "casual gamer". There you have it. It's still under the umbrella of "gamer", after all. But now, they can stay in their little category, far from your category of "really real gamer who games for all the right reasons and in just the right way" and you can still feel better than them.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']Your definition was almost accurate. Gamers are those that play games. There's no "genuinely" about it.

My point is that it's not up to you or I to determine whether someone's reasons for playing games are "good enough" for them to be considered a gamer. If you play games, you're a gamer. Simple as that.

You obviously have a lot of issues with boosting. I have no problem with that, especially because as you pointed out, it can often interfere with the enjoyment of others. However, I'm confused as to why you wrote a thousand words about the evils of boosting when that had nothing to do with my point. Therefore, Lance Armstrong analogies aren't going to sway me, either, because boosting wasn't part of my argument.

My point is whether you play games to get achievements, to have fun, to escape reality, to place high on leaderboards, or whatever reason, you're a gamer.

If you need evidence of how silly the term "real gamer" is, look no further than down from your post, where someone quoted you and mentioned that *their* version of real gamer excludes anyone who doesn't "appreciate all genres". Um, what? So if I don't like RPGs or platformers, I'm not a real gamer? What about sports games? Oh, wait...it's OKAY to not like sports games, I'm sure. No problem there.

See how silly and arbitrary that is?

So, gaming because you like unlocking achievements means you're not a real gamer. What about gaming to beat your friends' scores? How is that different? What about the people who used to drop quarter after quarter into Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, or whatever else in order to get the high score? What about people who spent hundreds of hours grinding in Disgaea to max out everything? Where do we draw the line? At whatever it means to *you* to "genuinely" game?

If it makes you feel good to label people and sit in judgment over their "realness", I can't stop you from doing so and I really don't care to. I stand by my point that designating people as "real" or not according to a) why they game b) what they play or even c) how much they play is exactly the kind of exclusionary bullshit that makes this a less enjoyable hobby. That's not to mention that none of us should forget that our own personal definitions of what a "real gamer" is matter only to us, anyway.

On a side note, it's funny that we can all agree that achievements are generally worthless and only really mean something if they're earned, yet people get so upset when others unlock them through cheesy methods. :whistle2:k I get that if it messes with online play, you can get annoyed, but as far as someone cheesing an achievement making *your* achievement mean less to you? Why would that be the case? If some dude got carried up Mt. Everest on someone else's back and then bragged about climbing it and you had climbed it legitimately, would his claim really make you feel like you accomplished less? Or would you just laugh at him and ignore him? If you get that upset about sites like True Achievements or people's inflated gamerscores, I think you may have issues of your own, my friend.

My argument was not about whether boosting was cheating, like I said before. However, I'll play ball with your Lance Armstrong analogy, because it actually helps me prove my point.

Was Lance a cheater? Yes. BUT- he was also a cyclist.

ON TOPIC: I wish I could join in on the Spelunky love, but I've strangely never been that into platformers. Occasionally I can get into one, but as my backlog has grown I've been less and less likely to give them a try.

That said, I'm still crossing my fingers that somebody just messed up and Dragonborn will be on sale. Though, I've already decided I'm not paying full price for any Skyrim DLC, so I'll wait it out if need be.[/QUOTE]

to achieve 1 million points is just so ridiculous on all levels. im not even sure he is still human at this point. he contributes crap to society and games all day everyday. hes the purest manchild on the planet and by extension a worthless human being who has never grown up in any area of his life. he has a true deadness of soul. as for whether this guy keeps the industry alive....its possible he buys everything brand new but its far more likely he rents games left and right. also its hard to say he truly enjoys gaming anymore at this point i mean how could he???? he doesnt play for fun he achievement hunts what fun is that 24/7??

also i said enjoys the full spectrum not neccessarly play. is he having fun???? does he appreciate the industry as well or is he enjoying is moment of fame chasing 1 million points while hating himself because he hates gaming?

my casual gamer remarks are however dead on and neccessary because those people arent really gamers and developers cater to them which is how we get so many casually aimed gimmicks in games. its how we get so many games that want to be COD for instance because casuals flock to a couple choice titles and thats it. hell just look at the wii so much freakin shovelware all in the name of grabbing the casual gamer but again casual gamers are not gamers. they buy one or two things and call it a decade yet developers bend over backwards to support them because that one item they do buy outsells everything. so damn tired of games getting neutered all to appease the casual gamer in hopes they even look at the game yet if youve met any portion of these casual gamers you will know dont even bother because in the countless ones ive met at college they can barely operate their consoles and usually at best in the groups of them as they play party games a lot there is usually one that knows how to get it all up and running. there is no love for gaming here.

and before i get blasted as that is just me....bear in mind statistical studies have been done and plastered on national ,levels with far less than what i am talking about.

[quote name='kayne2000']to achieve 1 million points is just so ridiculous on all levels. im not even sure he is still human at this point. he contributes crap to society and games all day everyday. hes the purest manchild on the planet and by extension a worthless human being who has never grown up in any area of his life. he has a true deadness of soul. as for whether this guy keeps the industry alive....its possible he buys everything brand new but its far more likely he rents games left and right. also its hard to say he truly enjoys gaming anymore at this point i mean how could he???? he doesnt play for fun he achievement hunts what fun is that 24/7??

also i said enjoys the full spectrum not neccessarly play. is he having fun???? does he appreciate the industry as well or is he enjoying is moment of fame chasing 1 million points while hating himself because he hates gaming?

my casual gamer remarks are however dead on and neccessary because those people arent really gamers and developers cater to them which is how we get so many casually aimed gimmicks in games. its how we get so many games that want to be COD for instance because casuals flock to a couple choice titles and thats it. hell just look at the wii so much freakin shovelware all in the name of grabbing the casual gamer but again casual gamers are not gamers. they buy one or two things and call it a decade yet developers bend over backwards to support them because that one item they do buy outsells everything. so damn tired of games getting neutered all to appease the casual gamer in hopes they even look at the game yet if youve met any portion of these casual gamers you will know dont even bother because in the countless ones ive met at college they can barely operate their consoles and usually at best in the groups of them as they play party games a lot there is usually one that knows how to get it all up and running. there is no love for gaming here.

and before i get blasted as that is just me....bear in mind statistical studies have been done and plastered on national ,levels with far less than what i am talking about.[/QUOTE]

I'd be pleased to read those studies. Please link them.

Ah, so it's not exclusionary and condescending to label people as "casuals" and pretend to be better than them...it's "necessary". Well then, keep fighting the good fight. Do remember though, that you place importance on supporting the industry, and I'm pretty sure those casuals are helping the industry by buying consoles, even if they are spending most of their time on CoD, Madden, or whatever else you don't consider to be a "real" game.

And regarding achievement whoring, YOU'RE the one deciding whether people are having fun?

That really shows the futility of your position better than anything I have even said. Let's end on that note.

[quote name='xbox_man']Just had a look at yugioh and the old game has automatically changed to the newer game, just downloading a 200 mb update.[/QUOTE]

Yep same for me =D thought it would look more different but it's fun to get new cards and earn new recipes =)

Still playing this game but finished it achievement wise long ago....but for fun games like this I will come back any time =D

(I used to play in real tournaments back then, got in the top 10 two times (3rd and 8th place) hundreds of other players were there...fun times...)

It does get tiring see people type game X is a "must buy"...I hate platformers (although I can still pick up mario 3 and super mario world and have a good time) and spelunky is frustrating. I don't have time to game much these days so I'd rather play a stress reliever. So I don't care if spelunky is 80 points...the two times I have tried to really sit down and enjoy it I ended up exiting to the dashboard out of frustration with iffy controls.

[quote name='irafreak']It does get tiring see people type game X is a "must buy"...I hate platformers (although I can still pick up mario 3 and super mario world and have a good time) and spelunky is frustrating. I don't have time to game much these days so I'd rather play a stress reliever. So I don't care if spelunky is 80 points...the two times I have tried to really sit down and enjoy it I ended up exiting to the dashboard out of frustration with iffy controls.[/QUOTE]

that's understandable

i think when people say must-buy like that, myself included, i think of it as a must-buy for those who are into that game, or that genre, in this case platformers/roguelikes

If I buy a game from the sales and specials app, will it show up in my history to download later if I ever delete it? I seem to recall this was an issue in the past...or maybe I'm just crazy.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']I'd be pleased to read those studies. Please link them.

Ah, so it's not exclusionary and condescending to label people as "casuals" and pretend to be better than them...it's "necessary". Well then, keep fighting the good fight. Do remember though, that you place importance on supporting the industry, and I'm pretty sure those casuals are helping the industry by buying consoles, even if they are spending most of their time on CoD, Madden, or whatever else you don't consider to be a "real" game.

And regarding achievement whoring, YOU'RE the one deciding whether people are having fun?

That really shows the futility of your position better than anything I have even said. Let's end on that note.[/QUOTE]

Don't you hate it when you spend some time intelligently explaining to someone that his opinion isn't fact, and then his response is "Yeah, but my opinion is fact."

Ebbtide and Kayne2000 both are quite wrong on this. It's already been explained, and yet they each came back and made the same poor argument all over again.

[quote name='JoeZiggadigga']If I buy a game from the sales and specials app, will it show up in my history to download later if I ever delete it? I seem to recall this was an issue in the past...or maybe I'm just crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i bought around 10 games from this app and everything is on my download history.

[quote name='Sath666']Yes, i bought around 10 games from this app and everything is on my download history.[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Thanks for the fast reply. Time to die over and over in Spelunky.

[quote name='sicsonic']that's understandable

i think when people say must-buy like that, myself included, i think of it as a must-buy for those who are into that game, or that genre, in this case platformers/roguelikes[/QUOTE]
Spelunky is definitely a must buy for those who are fans of rogue-like clones. I was playing it for several hours last night and it's definitely got me sucked in as much as I hate platformers.

Nice! Yars Revenge is back, and for half off, and all three Alien Breed games are finally half off. Too bad Colonial Marines looks to be such a disappointment, though I'd be lying if I didn't say I saw that coming, so I can get my Alien fix from Alien Breed.

[quote name='JoeZiggadigga']Excellent. Thanks for the fast reply. Time to die over and over in Spelunky.[/QUOTE]
I think the issue everyone is still having with the Sales & Specials app is if you happen to browse to the specific full game you bought (Spelunky) anywhere else on the dashboard other than the Sales & Specials app it will say you haven't purchased it. I think its able to show in your download history but the full game download you purchased through the Sales & Specials app is a different hidden item than the full game you see everywhere else on the dashboard/marketplace and xbox.com. Correct me if I'm wrong on this though guys. That's just what I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here).

Anyone know the final word on Virtual On's release? I'm probably going to bite on my Japanese account since the last thing I read said it wasn't releasing outside of Japan sadly. Just thought I'd see if anything changed since the last update.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Anyone know the final word on Virtual On's release? I'm probably going to bite on my Japanese account since the last thing I read said it wasn't releasing outside of Japan sadly. Just thought I'd see if anything changed since the last update.[/QUOTE]

For fast response sake, the only new release on the US dashboard for XBLA was the Yugioh game. On the Japanese dashboard they have Virtual On along with Virtua Striker. This is also the same case with PSN, where Virtual On is only on the Japanese store, but not on the US store. I downloaded the demo, but lack the Bing points to get it off my Japanese account at this time. If I try to purchase on my usual US account it brings up an error, however, it appears that I can purchase just fine (but I don't have enough Microsoft points) with my Japanese account. I have purchased DLC (and balance clearing gamerpictures) from the Japanese marketplace before (for my import games), that went without any hitches and plays just fine on their respective games on my US 360. It seems the articles I linked before are accurate to me, but it has only been just over a day since it was released, so who knows, maybe it could get a US dashboard marketplace release in the future, but not at this moment [EDIT: link has misleading information, it is 800MSP as it was supposed to be, not 400MSP as typed].

So if you do choose to purchase you gotta report back to me if it plays just fine on your non-Japanese account; I want the game too ^^. Since I only have one and only one Bing account (choice not circumstance), it will take me about 3 more weeks to get enough to buy that XBLA game for myself. I do recall someone (eastx?) mentioning they had purchased a Japanese XBLA game Akumajo Dracula X: Moonlight of the Nocturnal, because of the few extra familiars the Japanese version had that the US marketplace did not have [I always wondered if Psycho Mantis ever says something like "you like Tokimeki Memorial and Mitsumete Knight, don't you?" in addition to his Castlevania comment, considering I had them on my memory card as well ^^].

The demo only allows for 1 minute of play. Since I am an old Virtual On player, I prefer control method B which are the twin-stick tank controls over the new standard style with a jump button. You can set the display to be its letterboxed correct aspect with pixel accurate (no "half pixel"), large which maintains the correct aspect ratio while utilizing as much vertical space as possible, or full which stretches the screen to fit a whole 16:9 TV. The game and music are as I remembered.

EDIT2: Sorry non-US 360 users, I can only decribe my situation with this game from my perspective at this time.

I saw that it was 800. That is a definite bummer. After reading that article I was all set to spend 400MSP. Not sure if I have enough Bing creds to buy it just yet. Will have to check in a little bit. If you were able to download the demo I would assume the full version should be equally playable. I'll report back when I know for sure, assuming someone like EastX (Anyone else notice that he didn't post links to his reviews in his last few posts? Kinda negates Jackal1's argument doesn't it?) doesn't report back first.

After playing Spelunky for 6 hours, I kind of get the hype, but in the end it's still too frustrating to have much lasting appeal for me. After 164 deaths, the farthest I got was the second world. There are games that are difficult, but feel fair (e.g. Super Meat Boy), and then there are games that feel cheaply, unfairly difficult. Spelunky feels like one of the latter for me. While I have had a few laughs at the ridiculous manners in which I've gotten myself killed, I doubt I'll ever beat this game, even with shortcuts.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']There are games that are difficult, but feel fair (e.g. Super Meat Boy),[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but the later stages in the Dark World in Super Meat Boy are anything but fair. Seriously. ;)

I find Spelunky far more boring than engaging.

Plus, in the most straightforward sense there isn't a lot in the XBLA version that isn't in the free PC version. Fancy graphics and a tweak here and there but nothing huge enough to justify paying for it.

[quote name='Rsmobile']I find Spelunky far more boring than engaging.

Plus, in the most straightforward sense there isn't a lot in the XBLA version that isn't in the free PC version. Fancy graphics and a tweak here and there but nothing huge enough to justify paying for it.[/QUOTE]
Local multiplayer?

[quote name='PrarieD0G']After playing Spelunky for 6 hours, I kind of get the hype, but in the end it's still too frustrating to have much lasting appeal for me. After 164 deaths, the farthest I got was the second world. There are games that are difficult, but feel fair (e.g. Super Meat Boy), and then there are games that feel cheaply, unfairly difficult. Spelunky feels like one of the latter for me. While I have had a few laughs at the ridiculous manners in which I've gotten myself killed, I doubt I'll ever beat this game, even with shortcuts.[/QUOTE]

I think you had mentioned that you think that you have similar tastes in me when it comes to XBLA games. Well you might be right, because that's exactly how I felt about the game. I remember the one time I finally got my hands on the fucking shotgun (totally by random) and the very next level was one of those fucking dark levels. I died almost instantly.

[quote name='Zonic505']Doritos Crash Course 2 confirmed to be free to play like the original.

It's also listed on the marketplace, so perhaps it's a sign it'll be coming within a few months.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty awesome news. Especially the "free" part.

[quote name='chipper_95']I think the issue everyone is still having with the Sales & Specials app is if you happen to browse to the specific full game you bought (Spelunky) anywhere else on the dashboard other than the Sales & Specials app it will say you haven't purchased it. I think its able to show in your download history but the full game download you purchased through the Sales & Specials app is a different hidden item than the full game you see everywhere else on the dashboard/marketplace and xbox.com. Correct me if I'm wrong on this though guys. That's just what I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here).[/QUOTE]

That, and the much scarier part is that the reverse is true (which I believe it still says in the OP). If you ALREADY BOUGHT one of the games (or other piece of content) that the S&S+ is offering OUTSIDE of the app, S&S+ doesn't acknowledge it and if you're not paying attention you can re-purchase content you already own.

I just confirmed with this week's offerings that this is still an issue: I own both Spelunky & Limbo (which are both being offered right now), yet if I go to download them through S&S+ it will actually let me pay msp--AGAIN!--to download them instead of telling me to "download again" for free.

This is the problem that gets mentioned time and again with these purchases being in a "bizzaro world" region that is used for the S&S+ downloads--they don't align with dashboard purchases (except for [most] Chain Reaction offers).

Really though, it just means you have to be vigilant as to what you already own, and really how much extra work is that to look-into? I'd much rather have this slightly-broken deal app over the alternative of being stuck with regular sales if it ever came down to pulling-it.

[quote name='sicsonic']I'm sorry but the later stages in the Dark World in Super Meat Boy are anything but fair. Seriously. ;)[/QUOTE]

Lol, okay you might have me on the dark worlds. I didn't complete them because, yeah, they were brutal. Spelunky-esque, if you will. Hahaha, just kidding. The main game I thought was pretty fair though, if only because it was very consistent. Maybe I just don't like the randomness of Spelunky. On one hand, it makes the game interesting/new, but on the other hand, it's much harder to progress in the game.

[quote name='eastx']Don't you hate it when you spend some time intelligently explaining to someone that his opinion isn't fact, and then his response is "Yeah, but my opinion is fact."

Ebbtide and Kayne2000 both are quite wrong on this. It's already been explained, and yet they each came back and made the same poor argument all over again.[/QUOTE]

I am surprised this conversation continues everyday I check to see what is being said, or what deals are happening. Paul and others are correct and not just because Paul is awesome.

This is a discussion that no matter what answer is provided the minds will not sway, reminds me of politics. There does not need to be facts...

The S & S app game deals right now are better than the weekly deals have been! I never thought N+ was going to be on sale, in fact I'd pretty much forgotten about it. So I happily picked that up and Spelunky. I really liked the demo for Spelunky and was just waiting for a sale to grab it. All those Bing points I had sitting in my account got some really good use yesterday.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I remember the one time I finally got my hands on the fucking shotgun (totally by random) and the very next level was one of those fucking dark levels. I died almost instantly.

[/QUOTE]

in level 2 when you get a haunted stage, put bomb on the grave marked ASH to get the shotgun. Knowing this, i still havent been able to open up the shortcut that requires the shotgun. :drool:

[quote name='adiras']The S & S app game deals right now are better than the weekly deals have been! I never thought N+ was going to be on sale, in fact I'd pretty much forgotten about it. So I happily picked that up and Spelunky. I really liked the demo for Spelunky and was just waiting for a sale to grab it. All those Bing points I had sitting in my account got some really good use yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Good choices, wise sir.

:)

[quote name='Zonic505']Doritos Crash Course 2 confirmed to be free to play like the original.

It's also listed on the marketplace, so perhaps it's a sign it'll be coming within a few months.[/QUOTE]

I played this at PAX. From what I remember, it plays a lot like the original, there might be a few tweaks in the gameplay/controls, and the environments seemed a little more creative and more diverse aesthetically rather then the basic stadium type setting.

I am pretty disappointed that Dragonborn isn't going to go on sale. I would probably buy it for 25% off at this point. I hate how Major does this sometimes. I know it probably isn't his fault, but it seems like the third time I have gotten excited about buying something and had it removed.

The Japanese Model 2 Virtual On Cyber Troopers release can be downloaded with a Japanese account on a US Xbox and played with a US gamertag. Confirmed!

EDIT: That might be the fastest 100% I've ever had. Two playthroughs (total of 13 minutes of gameplay) netted all the achievements. Super disappointing. Guess I'll have to pop in Virtual On Force to get more of a fix since I haven't really gotten into it yet and I was looking to kill time till my Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition comes in the mail on the 21st.

Can anyone comment about the online play for zombie apocalypse? Is it easy to link up with friends? Is the gameplay pretty smooth, or is laggy/glitchy?

[quote name='JoeZiggadigga']If I buy a game from the sales and specials app, will it show up in my history to download later if I ever delete it? I seem to recall this was an issue in the past...or maybe I'm just crazy.[/QUOTE]
Yes, it'll always be in your history, but it may show as "yet to be purchased" if you re-visit the Marketplace.

[quote name='chipper_95']I think the issue everyone is still having with the Sales & Specials app is if you happen to browse to the specific full game you bought (Spelunky) anywhere else on the dashboard other than the Sales & Specials app it will say you haven't purchased it. I think its able to show in your download history but the full game download you purchased through the Sales & Specials app is a different hidden item than the full game you see everywhere else on the dashboard/marketplace and xbox.com. Correct me if I'm wrong on this though guys. That's just what I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here).[/QUOTE]
No corrections necessary, you've mastered the S&S+ app!

So basically, us CAGers should at least TRY to remember what games are in our backlog, if you want to buy from S+S app. :D

The Zombie Driver demo was is pretty good. There seems to be enough content to warrant the 400 msp sale price for those interested. However, I don't like the shoot-only-where-your-vehicle-is-pointed game mechanic, so I'm going to pass. Plus the look and feel seems similar to Renegade Ops, which is still in my backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back