XBL DotW & Sales 2012 | 5/1 BF3 DLC (DotW) | More

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This includes the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you see anything not listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. If some information on here is wrong or missing please shoot me a PM so I can adjust the OP!

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

[quote name='reddjoey']This thread is growing a bit too big so we need a new one.

Please move the DOTW discussion here.
[/QUOTE]

GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
48 Hours Gold trials and free Gold weekends won't get you the sale price.

5/1 - Battlefield 3

DLC:
-Back to Karkland - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic (83)

5/8 - Tom Clancy's Sale

DLC:

Endwar
-Escalation Expansion Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
-Chapter 2 - 300 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

GRAW 2
-Co-op Collection - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look
-Co-op Collection 2 - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Splinter Cell Conviction
-Deniable Ops: Insurgency - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X.
-Air Supremacy - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X. 2
-All in One Pack - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Games on Demand:
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

-Splinter Cell Conviction Co-op Outfit (Male/Female) - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb

Family Gold Pack Deal:

5/1 - Nin2-Jump

XBLA:
-Nin2-Jump - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off -xbldb - Metacritic (??) - Quick Look

Misc Sales:

Xbox Sales & Specials Page

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Daemonocracy']nope, it's almighty and eternal.

I might pick up Alan Wake for 1600, I haven't seen it for much less than $20 but I haven't really looked lately, so we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Ebay (and some cags) would sell this to you for about $10.

[quote name='ZForce915']Ebay (and some cags) would sell this to you for about $10.[/QUOTE]
this, you can find Alan Wake codes on ebay/amazon for $10 all the time. Sometime last year I got the alan wake code and forza 3(disk) for $15 shipped on eBay

[quote name='Daemonocracy']nope, it's almighty and eternal.

I might pick up Alan Wake for 1600, I haven't seen it for much less than $20 but I haven't really looked lately, so we'll see.[/QUOTE]

There was a seller on Amazon that had the DL code going for 6.XX$ a few months back. I know quite a few CAGs bought multiple codes. So as others have said, take a look around. Z-Force is probably right, I'd say you can get it for 10.00$. Alot of people have the DLC as well. I know I have a few.

[quote name='fdcnyc']Anyone hear anything about Pinball Arcade ? I can't seem to find it thought it was dropping today .[/QUOTE]

It's been delayed a week.

link

[quote name='fdcnyc']Anyone hear anything about Pinball Arcade ? I can't seem to find it thought it was dropping today .[/QUOTE]

Delayed a week, according to their Facebook/Twitter/Myspace/Bebo/Friendster or something.

[quote name='Daemonocracy']
Codes for that Games on Demand version have been under $10 @ Amazon for a long time. I picked one up for $6 last September. The retail disc w/ The Writer dlc has been under $20 @ Amazon for just as long.

edit: oops, didn't see Narsis84's post.

I bought Daytona and Sega rally last night, but I had a test today so I didn't get a chance to play either yet. I'm 200 points shy for Joe danger, will be picking it up once I get some Bing points.

I already own all the GoD games I'm interested in on disc, so ill be passing on that sale.

[quote name='wEEman33']Daytona controls fine without a wheel.

It's a must-buy for everyone at 400 points.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this. It's not the busted-controls Dreamcast version. :)

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, this. It's not the busted-controls Dreamcast version. :)[/QUOTE]

Silence, please. Never speak of the Dreamcast Daytona again.

I have done my best to flush it from memory.

[quote name='wEEman33']Joe Danger may win out in pure quantity of content, but all of that content is extremely boring and no fun to play.

I agree with this review that Joe Danger is not worth buying:

http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/646/joe-danger-special-edition/[/QUOTE]
Why would Operation Sports review a platformer? Because the main character is on a motorcycle? The fact that they compare it to Excitebike and Trials tells me that they went into that with the wrong expectations, so it's a bad review.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why would Operation Sports review a platformer? Because the main character is on a motorcycle? The fact that they compare it to Excitebike and Trials tells me that they went into that with the wrong expectations, so it's a bad review.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a well-written review. They just didn't like it. And I've seen lots of Excitebike comparisons - one game obviously inspired the other.

Metacritic's mini summary says its a call back to retro classics like Excitebike, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

The review was fine.

[quote name='eastx']I thought it was a well-written review. They just didn't like it. And I've seen lots of Excitebike comparisons - one game obviously inspired the other.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't mean that they're the same type of game.

If you look at screenshots I can very easily see why you might make Excitebike comparisons to Joe Danger. However, they're nothing alike when it comes to actually playing the game.

[quote name='louiedog']If you look at screenshots I can very easily see why you might make Excitebike comparisons to Joe Danger. However, they're nothing alike when it comes to actually playing the game.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. The reviewer makes some false assumptions about the game early on and blames the game for not meeting those expectations rather than examining if he was mistaken about it being like Excitebike, Excitebike 64, and Trials.

I've put some time into Joe Danger and at 600 points I can't imagine you wouldn't like this game. It's simple on the surface with some challenges built into every level.

I'm happy it's on XBLA and that it finally had a sale.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']That review is 100% pure garbage[/QUOTE]

Your comment is pure hyperbole, but not in a nice, poetic way. Everyone has different opinions on games, and you should learn to respect those that are different from your own.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Pretty much. The reviewer makes some false assumptions about the game early on and blames the game for not meeting those expectations rather than examining if he was mistaken about it being like Excitebike, Excitebike 64, and Trials.[/QUOTE]
You're so fixated on one line of his review. He brought up some pretty valid issues with the game that he had. It's not for him, big deal.

[quote name='harry hood']You're so fixated on one line of his review. He brought up some pretty valid issues with the game that he had. It's not for him, big deal.[/QUOTE]
No, it pretty much covers the entire review since there's not much substance in there anyway. He mostly complains about not being able to get a hang of the controls as far as gameplay is concerned, but he never really goes into why it's worse than Excitebike, Excitebike 64, and Trials or why it's not a good motorcross racer, freestyle trick game, or platformer. He has an interesting opening thought in the intro but he never fleshes it out with supporting examples until the conclusion, though the rigid format that they use could get in the way of that. And like I said before, I don't get why Operation Sports of all places is covering that game since it has nothing to do with their focus on sports and racing games.

I'm fine with people having different opinions, but if you're getting Joe Danger with the expectation of it being like Trials, then you'll probably come away disappointed since they're nothing alike.

is there any game that doesn't have somebody saying it sucks?

if you liked trials so much, i don't see how somebody could say joe danger isn't worth 600 points

I didn't even really like Joe Danger, but if I had never played it on ps3 I would be all over it for 50% off.

And I do think it's quite a bit like trials in that you really have to perfect your skills to make it through everything, and retrying over and over again is the name of the game. However, the gameplay is pretty different.

With so much garbage at 1200 and 800 pts., it's blasphemy to say that Joe Danger isn't worth 600 pts.

It's not for everybody, and you should definitely download the demo first. But, the game is polished, and definite fun when played in short burst (like a typical arcade game).

[quote name='eastx']Your comment is pure hyperbole, but not in a nice, poetic way. Everyone has different opinions on games, and you should learn to respect those that are different from your own.[/QUOTE]

That's not really the exact issue. Reviews are opinion but they are also supposed to serve a purpose in helping people decide whether they want to give something a try.

A person can have a different opinion on a game than I do and yet still write a review that lays down important information and issues about a game. If a person writes a review with a purely negative theme based on their opinion it's not really all that helpful unless they document(without sarcasm or attacks) exactly why they feel these things are an issue.

The biggest issue I see with video game reviewers is their constant reliance on saying how one game is similar to another or how one game isn't as good as another. Well how much a person enjoyed that other game is going to be different as well as maybe they didn't even play the games in question. Thus these references are useless for a portion of readers.

These are situations that would lead me to call a review garbage regardless of whether the writer and I shared an opinion. Lastly, quite frankly not everyone's opinion deserves to be respected. Respect should be earned and not simply freely given.

Hey reddjoey, Tenorman's Revenge is confirmed to be 800 points, Trials Evolution comes out on April 18th, and Walking Dead episode 1 might not come out April 25th, with the Arcade NEXT promotion happening during that time. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up.

Fez is coming out Friday, April 13 for 800 msp. Weird, another Friday release. I'd get it if it was a horror game for the tie-in. Maybe they're going to start Wed & Fri releases?

Tried out the Joe Danger demo. It seemed alright, but nothing I had to have. Been spending too many points lately, so I'll pass on this one.

[quote name='louiedog']Fez is coming out Friday, April 13 for 800 msp. Weird, another Friday release. I'd get it if it was a horror game for the tie-in. Maybe they're going to start Wed & Fri releases?[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Wednesday and Friday releases are gonna become more common. I think it's a better idea than releasing 3+ games on Wednesday, and there are so many damn games in the pipeline and waiting to be released that Xbox has to figure out some way to release them all.

Also, glad to see 800 price point for Fez. Still probably won't buy it, but at least I'll consider it at 800.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I'm thinking Wednesday and Friday releases are gonna become more common. I think it's a better idea than releasing 3+ games on Wednesday, and there are so many damn games in the pipeline and waiting to be released that Xbox has to figure out some way to release them all.

Also, glad to see 800 price point for Fez. Still probably won't buy it, but at least I'll consider it at 800.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if Friday will be the new day for high profile releases that aren't in the various promotions. South Park is a major brand and Fez has been receiving positive buzz for years. They'll steamroll other releases and don't really need to be part of the regular release schedule to get eyes on them.

[quote name='louiedog']I'm wondering if Friday will be the new day for high profile releases that aren't in the various promotions. South Park is a major brand and Fez has been receiving positive buzz for years. They'll steamroll other releases and don't really need to be part of the regular release schedule to get eyes on them.[/QUOTE]

Very possible. At first I thought they were just brushing off South Park with a small Friday release, which lead me to be weary that the quality of the game might not be up to snuff.

Now that Fez is getting a Friday release too, I think you may be on to something. It also gives me more hope for the South Park game being good.

I, for one, would be a proponent of Friday XBLA releases. South Park and Fez (like a lot of XBLA games) are great games to blast through on the weekend.

[quote name='louiedog']Fez is coming out Friday, April 13 for 800 msp. Weird, another Friday release. I'd get it if it was a horror game for the tie-in. Maybe they're going to start Wed & Fri releases?[/QUOTE]

Glad it's 800, will get more sales that way.

[quote name='eastx']Your comment is pure hyperbole, but not in a nice, poetic way. Everyone has different opinions on games, and you should learn to respect those that are different from your own.[/QUOTE]
No, that's not what that is, that's a review not an opinion.

A review has a list of things that must be addressed and talked about and broken down into separate categories.

A bad reviewer judges games on if they liked them or not, that's not their job. A reviewer can love a game but give it a 2 or they can hate a game and give it a ten.

That review is garbage, it's badly written and worst of all the reviewer's opinion bleeds into it, an opinion has no place in a review.

[quote name='biledriver']That's not really the exact issue. Reviews are opinion but they are also supposed to serve a purpose in helping people decide whether they want to give something a try.

A person can have a different opinion on a game than I do and yet still write a review that lays down important information and issues about a game. If a person writes a review with a purely negative theme based on their opinion it's not really all that helpful unless they document(without sarcasm or attacks) exactly why they feel these things are an issue.

The biggest issue I see with video game reviewers is their constant reliance on saying how one game is similar to another or how one game isn't as good as another. Well how much a person enjoyed that other game is going to be different as well as maybe they didn't even play the games in question. Thus these references are useless for a portion of readers.

These are situations that would lead me to call a review garbage regardless of whether the writer and I shared an opinion. Lastly, quite frankly not everyone's opinion deserves to be respected. Respect should be earned and not simply freely given.[/QUOTE]

*takes a deep breath*

This is almost worse than Jaysonguy's post because it shows that you actually put some thought into the subject and yet reached the same conclusion. At least when someone usually says something horrible about reviews, I can safely assume that they've thought about it for less time than it took them to post the comment.

Like you said, not everyone's opinion deserves respect. We can all draw the line in different places, but for me the side that deserves respect is the one where a person can string sentences and thoughts together coherently with a minimum of errors in construction (punctuation, grammar, etc). In other words, reviews in which the writer is probably educated and/or at least meets the minimum standards of being a professional writer. The next criteria: does the person like the topic they are writing about (i.e.games or the genre)? If not, the review wouldn't be useful to me as a gamer. By both standards, the review passes muster.

I'm also inclined to respect him because I'm a critic and I know what it's like to write reviews for public consumption. You play a game, you share your opinions on it, and then readers either agree or disagree. Sometimes the dissenters are assholes about it. When you're expressing your honest opinion and you've clearly put some effort into the writing, it's really lame for someone to call the review garbage or something similar because they disagree with the point you're making.

That's what the disagreement all comes down to - you guys hate the review because you love the game and the writer really doesn't love the game. Does the guy support his criticisms with evidence? He says the game is too difficult, especially when going after the collectibles, and supports it by complaining about the controls, lane changing issues, and visual distractions. Presumably, as a result the career mode is a grind rather than interesting. There could be more evidence, but what's there is sufficient, and for all we know he has to stay within a word count (a constraint readers are usually unaware of).

While the review does have a clear negative theme (a thematically coherent theme is a plus IMO but whatever), the guy does actually praise the track editor, so you can't say he only hates on the game. I agree with his criticisms - I played the game on PS3 and didn't enjoy one lick of it. I'd write almost the same review. Is my opinion garbage too now?

About comparing one game to another, I'm not sure why that bothers you guys so much. Such comparisons serve a useful purpose of quickly establishing a framework for the reader's mind to work from. The game reminds the reviewer of Excitebike (same here), so he uses that for context. If you don't have an impression of the thing used in the comparison, it may be lost on you, but a lot of readers should understand it. Clearly Joe Dirt, Excitebike, and Trials all have many differences, but they're absolutely not worlds apart like FriskyTanuki insists - but comparisons, like reviews, are still subjective.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']A bad reviewer judges games on if they liked them or not, that's not their job. A reviewer can love a game but give it a 2 or they can hate a game and give it a ten.[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous. You're setting arbitrary rules for what a review is that frankly, no reviewer would agree with. Gee, the next time I have to write a review and not express my opinion, I'll be sure to remember your sage words of advice. You'll recognize the review because it will read like a Wikipedia entry and have no actual evaluations of the game itself, since those are all inherently opinions.

You guys know there is FREE demo right? Try it out for yourself and decide if it's probably worth the $7.50 to play the rest. Honestly, in the OP you have Metacritic (which has over 35 professional reviews) and a Quick Look (that covers 15+ minutes of gameplay as well as some critiquing from a Ryan Davis and Jeff Gerstmann).

All that said, let's put issue of reviews and reviewers to bed.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']No, that's not what that is, that's a review not an opinion.

A review has a list of things that must be addressed and talked about and broken down into separate categories.

A bad reviewer judges games on if they liked them or not, that's not their job. A reviewer can love a game but give it a 2 or they can hate a game and give it a ten.

That review is garbage, it's badly written and worst of all the reviewer's opinion bleeds into it, an opinion has no place in a review.[/QUOTE]

I strongly disagree. If I ever read a review where the person said he loved a game and then gave it a 2 I would never read a review from them again.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']A bad reviewer judges games on if they liked them or not, that's not their job. A reviewer can love a game but give it a 2 or they can hate a game and give it a ten.

That review is garbage, it's badly written and worst of all the reviewer's opinion bleeds into it, an opinion has no place in a review.[/QUOTE]

If a review does not contain an opinion it becomes a description. Just stating what something has and does, but never saying it it was done well or badly would make a review completely pointless.

I certainly agree to a point on how a review can give something they don't really maybe a boost or higher score. I don't think they really would give a higher score, but if they didn't they would at least explain why. For example I do not like Metal Gear Solid, why? It just isn't for me. I can't get into the game, but find nothing wrong with it. Am I going to give it a 10,9,8,7,6, or maybe even a 5, hell no. Am I going to state that they game wasn't for me? Certainly, but I definitely won't give it a high score because the game may be fun for someone else. And if the game is fun for someone else then someone else will rate it and review as such. But for me to artifically pad or lower a score because of what someone elses experience may be would completely skew the results of reviews. If I review it honestly than some people will realize the game isn't for everyone. And removing my opinion from it would make my review entirely pointless. You could end up reading the back of the box or the store page and pick up the same information.

But honestly how can you think a review should not have an opinion in it? It just goes hand in hand. Please just explain this to me in either a PM or here. I am genuinely interested in how you came to the understanding that opinions should be completely removed from reviews.

[quote name='RollingSkull']http://armorgames.com/play/10899/sky-island

There, now none of you have to buy Fez when it comes out to meet your indie cred.

Yes, I still am upset at the turd of a developer and the state of indie games in general.[/QUOTE]

Meh, Fez without all of the charm. This actually makes me want Fez XBLA even more. :)))

edit: WOW, best news ever - Fez coming 13th april for only 800MSP. :0 :0 :0

April is going t be the best month for XBLA - 13th Fez, 18th Trials EVO.

My review of the review discussion is that it sucks big time. I give it 10 stars!

I'm mulling over Joe Danger, but it will go dormant as soon as Trials Evo is out, so I'm not sure.

That Sky Island game was pretty cool. I'm not sure if I'll get Fez, I don't really like buying games at full price and definitely have no desire to support the developer. Maybe I can score a code in the marketplace.

[quote name='RollingSkull']There, now none of you have to buy Fez when it comes out to meet your indie cred.

Yes, I still am upset at the turd of a developer and the state of indie games in general.[/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate? I've noticed some people here and there upset with the developer, but don't mention why, as if its common knowledge. I feel like I missed something.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Could you elaborate? I've noticed some people here and there upset with the developer, but don't mention why, as if its common knowledge. I feel like I missed something.[/QUOTE]

He dared to value his game at 1200 points instead of 800, the monster. Also, he thinks modern Japanese games 'suck' - an aberrant, criminal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back