XBL DotW & Sales 2012 | 5/1 BF3 DLC (DotW) | More

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This includes the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you see anything not listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. If some information on here is wrong or missing please shoot me a PM so I can adjust the OP!

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

[quote name='reddjoey']This thread is growing a bit too big so we need a new one.

Please move the DOTW discussion here.
[/QUOTE]

GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
48 Hours Gold trials and free Gold weekends won't get you the sale price.

5/1 - Battlefield 3

DLC:
-Back to Karkland - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic (83)

5/8 - Tom Clancy's Sale

DLC:

Endwar
-Escalation Expansion Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
-Chapter 2 - 300 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

GRAW 2
-Co-op Collection - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look
-Co-op Collection 2 - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Splinter Cell Conviction
-Deniable Ops: Insurgency - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X.
-Air Supremacy - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X. 2
-All in One Pack - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Games on Demand:
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

-Splinter Cell Conviction Co-op Outfit (Male/Female) - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb

Family Gold Pack Deal:

5/1 - Nin2-Jump

XBLA:
-Nin2-Jump - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off -xbldb - Metacritic (??) - Quick Look

Misc Sales:

Xbox Sales & Specials Page

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
i couldnt get down w/DD and Orc Must Die on xbox...it just played better on PC plus steam had crazy deals on both + DLC. Defense Grid on the other hand plays great on xbox, I really like the voice over as well.

[quote name='shadow17x']Is the DLC for Dungeon Defenders on sale? I never paid attention to the price and was looking to grab this too. Love the game so far but wish they had the support the PC version did.[/QUOTE]
No

[quote name='martyback']Has anyone played Amy yet? It looks intriguing but it's been bashed really hard by reviewers.[/QUOTE]

I am currently. Through Chapter 3 now recording all the way as I make the guide as well.

Videos are huge though so it will be much later tonight (~5PM) when they are done uploading.

[quote name='Outinthedark']I am currently. Through Chapter 3 now recording all the way as I make the guide as well.

Videos are huge though so it will be much later tonight (~5PM) when they are done uploading.[/QUOTE]

How about some impressions then, Outy?

Chapter 1 - Very nice introduction to the characters and environment. Mechanics clunky to start out with. Frustrating Check point system. Voice acting is top notch, character design flawless. Very well done on the art, lacking on the environment a bit.

Chapter 2 - Challenges start to become much more difficult. Some thinking required now but still mostly trial and error types of puzzles. Again Check Point system makes this chapter hell.

Chapter 3 - Best so far. Very fun large scene and challenge. Probably the worst tiral and error puzzles. I probably spent an additional 15 minutes just walking up and down ladders.

Overall this feels like a very short game, however polished and unique.

Played the trial and doesn't feel like 2/10 or 4/10 game imo. It has some problems, which are mentioned on @Outinthedark post, but i think AMY is decent addition for survivor horror fans.

Demo is long enough and you guys can decide if should buy it or not. :)

[quote name='reddjoey']

XBLA:
-Aces of the Galaxy – 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Commanders: Attack of the Genos – 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Golf: Tee It Up! – 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Sealife Safari – 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Shrek-n-Roll – 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Switchball – 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Vigilante 8: Arcade – 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off

DLC:
-Golf: Tee It Up! -Desert Course – 160 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Vigilante 8: Arcade - High Octane Pack – 160 Microsoft Points - 50% off

[/QUOTE]

I think it's safe to say these are permanent price drops and can be removed from the OP now.

Voice acting top notch?! I just played the demo and Amy has some of the worst voice acting this gen.

Edit: your standards must be really low of you think Amy is a polished game. Screen tears, buggy textures, off lip syncing, B movie quality voice acting, slowdowns and not great graphics either are just some problems this ga,e has tchnically.

I can see how one might enjoy this game but polished is far from a reason why.

i did a google search and saw some reviews, one site gave it a 2 and the other gave it a 4

it's only 10 dollars, i've been waiting for this game since last E3 and i'm too intrigued by this game to not buy it, despite the reviews

[quote name='Barry Burton']i did a google search and saw some reviews, one site gave it a 2 and the other gave it a 4

it's only 10 dollars, i've been waiting for this game since last E3 and i'm too intrigued by this game to not buy it, despite the reviews[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me, but I am going to wait till it becomes available on ps3 since I have more space on there. Here comes next week.

I was asked for my impressions. I feel the gameplay is solid, albeit monotenous at time, it knows what it is, and it does it well. There are plenty of games out there that have no idea what genre or game they are, just throwing in quirky gimmicks. This game does none of that. It is straight forward and to the point.

Lana's voice acting is great. The sound design is phenomenal. You get a real sense of urgency and tempo when starting to become infected. This is a $10 budget download title. I don't expect it to win any awards but hell I'm not comparing it to games with multi million advertising budgets either. Is it a 10, no, but it is certainly not a 2 or 4 either.

That being said, I have 2 more chapters. Imma finish this awesome game and then give an overall review of it.

[quote name='ivegotalobon']the 7 games are now on my dash as january drops[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Now they can all drop to 200 in upcoming sales and I can buy them!

Jim Sterling from destructoid on AMY

http://www.destructoid.com/psa-do-not-buy-amy-today-219488.phtml
Rare is the occasion where I feel I have to "spoil" my review before it goes live, but I feel it's my civic duty to warn you not to buy AMY on Xbox Live today. Despite very promising trailers and details, it turns out that AMY is already a shoe-in for the worst game of the year.
I could talk about the fact that AMY's sparsely spread checkpoints do not save your game progress (it only saves by chapter and there are five chapters), I could talk about the controls that make characters stick to walls and random bits of floor, I could talk about stealth gameplay that appears to be inspired by Vampire f*cking Rain ... but I don't want to just write the entire review here.
Basically, imagine everything you hated about survival horror, minus anything you might have loved. That's AMY. It would crush my soul to think of anybody purchasing this, because it is, as far as I'm concerned, outright theft to charge $10 for this.
A review will come once I find a way to fight through this horrific joke of a game. In the meantime, you can download the trial and see it for yourself. The one good thing I can say about AMY is that even the introductory cutscene is a stuttering load of poorly animated shit, so at least it's not trying to completely fool you.

Wasn't Jim Sterling or someone from Destructoid made an article that said not to buy a game because you couldn't resell it?

Aside from that, I am still going to buy the game next week. I tend to play games that no one likes. ...... Duke Nukem Forever is still in my backlog but then I bought it for $5 so that gives you an idea.

Well I was interested in Amy, but now I think I'll wait for the inevitable 50% off DOTW. Not that I have any shortage of games to play at the moment anyway.

[quote name='Outinthedark']I was asked for my impressions. I feel the gameplay is solid, albeit monotenous at time, it knows what it is, and it does it well. There are plenty of games out there that have no idea what genre or game they are, just throwing in quirky gimmicks. This game does none of that. It is straight forward and to the point.

Lana's voice acting is great. The sound design is phenomenal. You get a real sense of urgency and tempo when starting to become infected. This is a $10 budget download title. I don't expect it to win any awards but hell I'm not comparing it to games with multi million advertising budgets either. Is it a 10, no, but it is certainly not a 2 or 4 either.

That being said, I have 2 more chapters. Imma finish this awesome game and then give an overall review of it.[/QUOTE]

Lana's voice acting is one of the worst. It's not even cheesy, it's just bad. The intro is a great example where she overreacts to everything on the phone conversation.

"Amy. No it's nothing. We're NOT going back there."

It sounded like she had multipersonality disorder.

I will really take your complaining seriously, if you actually played the game beyond the trial.

Chapter 4 done. I wanted to shoot my brains out. On easy no doubt that could have been finished in ~20 minutes if you knew where you were going and doing. The checkpoint system really is showing it's flaws, I think 3 total in the chapter, one hiccup and you are set back to redo it all over again.

Amy is garbage, no reason why anyone should be playing it outside of reviews that are paid to do it

Someone playing this for free = bad life choice

I played the demo. It isn't that bad. Sort of clunky. Maybe a patch can be in the works. I'm more interested in the story/survival horror element. If its creepy, I might jump on it in a future DOTW

will buy amy when it goes on sale i liked survial horror game the controls didnt bother me or did the voice acting. if the game is creepy and has a decent story i will be ok spending 5 bucks

[quote name='tylerh1701']This Amy fallout is reminding me of the Hydrophobia backlash when it was originally released.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it will lead to a similar major update patch.

Hydrophobia 'pure' or whatever they were calling it was alright for 400 points on sale.

[quote name='cthomer5000']Maybe it will lead to a similar major update patch.

Hydrophobia 'pure' or whatever they were calling it was alright for 400 points on sale.[/QUOTE]

Yup, for $5 I wasn't disappointed in "Pure".

Other than this week's arcade releases...Upcoming releases I'm interested in checking out two of house party 2012 (alan wake and i am alive) and shoot many robots.

And yes chopliter hd was pretty fun...like others, i may be looking out for it when it gets discounted.

[quote name='eastx']Oh, so you've played Otomedius? It's not awful at all. The shmup genre is just a bit niche and a lot of reviewers either don't understand or appreciate it, which is definitely the case with the OXM review. My own professional review gave it a 3.5 out of 5. The game has some rough spots like the crummy multiplayer, but it's still one of the better shmups to make it to the US in recent years.[/QUOTE]

Because the reviewers were so awful to Guwange, Deathsmiles, Ikaruga (Boy howdy, them and Ikaruga), Radiant Silvergun, Jamestown, Trouble Witches Neo, Strania...

Strania at least clocked POSITIVE reviews amid the negatives.

[quote name='reddjoey']If you registered for UFC 141 and couldn't view it, check your email.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I am more excited for the free month of old they included.:lol:

[quote name='RollingSkull']Because the reviewers were so awful to Guwange, Deathsmiles, Ikaruga (Boy howdy, them and Ikaruga), Radiant Silvergun, Jamestown, Trouble Witches Neo, Strania...

Strania at least clocked POSITIVE reviews amid the negatives.[/QUOTE]

It depends on who reviewed them. But reviewers tend to go harder on disc-based shmups for not costing 10 or 15 bucks and having the audacity to come on a disc. To these people, no shmup could be worth $30 or more, which doesn't gel at all with how fans of the genre feel. Jeez, I'd expect you to know this.

[quote name='reddjoey']If you registered for UFC 141 and couldn't view it, check your email.[/QUOTE]
no email here =[

[quote name='eastx']It depends on who reviewed them. But reviewers tend to go harder on disc-based shmups for not costing 10 or 15 bucks and having the audacity to come on a disc. To these people, no shmup could be worth $30 or more, which doesn't gel at all with how fans of the genre feel. Jeez, I'd expect you to know this.[/QUOTE]
But, shumps ARE by and large worth less than $30. I may be the sort of loser who preordered Deathsmiles and imported those Espgaludas and them Mushishsidhsishdismehehismahesheme dot dodgers but I am not under any illusions about them.

You don't get to claim "they don't get the genre" as a magic cure-all for all dissenting opinions any more than Koei Warriors game fans do.

"If you want a downloadable game for $10, scroll randomly through the titles offered by your downloadable service of choice, randomly stop on a game and buy it. Your money will have almost certainly been better spent in lieu of buying Amy, which absolutely no one should play."

Tell us how you really feel, IGN.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']Sorry but anything Destructoid and Jim Sterling post I take as BS. Rarely do I detest someone as much as him.[/QUOTE]

Ya, Jim Sterling seems to be quite the sock cucker.

I'll say this about reviews and reviewers which will tie together nicely with the OP.

I'm not the biggest Jim Sterling fan, but some people love him. After hearing him on some podcasts, he seems like a guy who really loves to use hyperbole and isn't afraid to stick to his guns to defend his opinion no matter how "out there" it is. Let's be honest here, his reviews get hits and I'm sure he factors that into his reviewing method.

Find a reviewer or two who has similar tastes as you and check with them first. Then, have a handful of second opinions from other reviewers you are familiar with. I link off to metacritic in the OP in hopes that you will find a review from a source or reviewer you trust.

Second, all XBLA games have demos. Sadly, a few are a bit misleading to the actual fun of the game, but that isn't a normal thing.

Finally, check the Quick Looks from GiantBomb. They usually go on for longer than the demo and showcase a bit of the later level gameplay. The staff often demos the more fun or broken parts of the game.

Personally, I find Jim's reviews to be great. He doesn't care about what others may think and his obvious trolling is quite funny. A game is bad? He'll say it's bad. Now, some might bring up Deadly Premonition, but if you read the review, it makes sense really and is just downright funny.

I'm one of those people who love Jim Sterling, IMO he's a baller. Destructoid as a whole is so dragon. I agree with Jim 99% of the time (only thing I haven't was mario kart 7)I was kind of excited for amy but not any more.

Maybe you should try the demo if you were excited about it.

EDIT: Haven't played this game or read any reviews, but I'm basically saying, "If you were excited about it and there's a free demo, why not at least try it before you completely give up on it."

[quote name='reddjoey'] After hearing him on some podcasts, [Jim Sterling] seems like a guy who really loves to use hyperbole and isn't afraid to stick to his guns to defend his opinion no matter how "out there" it is. Let's be honest here, his reviews get hits and I'm sure he factors that into his reviewing method.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I gave up journalism in school and switched to business. To become a fairly big named writer (like Jim Sterling in the video game field), you have to write "out there" articles, whether you believe them or not. You have to make a spectacle of yourself as much as be a good writer to make a name for yourself. Another example would be Jason Whitlock in sports, some of his articles take such ludicrous stances, but it gets him hits.

[quote name='tylerh1701']You have to make a spectacle of yourself as much as be a good writer to make a name for yourself.[/QUOTE]

I think that depends on whether your goal is to be a journalist or a celebrity. Or a dragon baller.

[quote name='salty tbone']I think that depends on whether your goal is be a journalist or a celebrity. Or a dragon baller.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Now I'm on board with this ridiculous games journalism debate going on in this thread. Thanks.

[quote name='salty tbone']I think that depends on whether your goal is be a journalist or a celebrity. Or a dragon baller.[/QUOTE]

I hope this wasn't addressed towards me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back