XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed some other stuff was on sale as well:

Arkadian Warriors (200 MSP, 1/2 off)
Faery (600 MSP, 1/2 off)
Assault Heroes (200 MSP, 1/2 off)
Geometry Wars 2 (400 MSP, 1/2 off)

[quote name='billydeewilliams']Can anyone tell me what the date is for the nba 2k13 avatar stuff? My iphone doesnt show it its just black.

Also for street fighter fans which is better ssft 2 or sf 3? Ive never played past street fighter 2 turbo fwiw[/QUOTE]

All the avatar stuff is showing 10/2 for date.

SSF2THDR is more like the street fighter you know. They took a HUGE departure (characters, systems, etc) for SF3. The roster is mostly unknowns (unless you've played 4), Dudley, Makato and Ibuki are all from SF3. Last I played them both, they still had communities around them, but you're going to get your rear handed to you unless you're a pro. SF3 introduced the parry system and just plays unlike any other SF game. Take that for what you will. It's a different beast, but still has its fans and good things about it.

LOVE the sales the next couple of weeks. Going to finally grab world of keflings, people in the xbla trading thread seem to think that game is worth gold and no one will part with it for 400. Very tempted by VF5. I already have the other fighting games (DF Live is NOT a very good game for more than a couple of hours, if you've played the demo, be prepared for a LOT more of the same). Curious to see what the Double Fine sale will bring... perhaps I'll finally bite on Costume Quest and the Grubbins DLC... maybe I'll finallly be able to 100% sesame street kinect and stacking with the DLC for those?

Also, heck yes to Braid... it's been on my "to get on sale" list forEVER. Glad I just stocked up on Bing points. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='billydeewilliams']Can anyone tell me what the date is for the nba 2k13 avatar stuff? My iphone doesnt show it its just black.

Also for street fighter fans which is better ssft 2 or sf 3? Ive never played past street fighter 2 turbo fwiw[/QUOTE]

NBA 2K13 avatar stuff is today.

If you can, get both Street Fighter games. Otherwise just try the demos and see which one you like. On a side note, SF3 is getting patched soon with a hefty update.

http://blog.irongalaxystudios.com/2012/09/28/update-on-3soe-patch/

that transformers game that is on sale for 800 msp, well on the Hungarian marketplace and in Australia it is 640 msp, just in case someone wants it cheaper, that is if it can be downloaded region free.
cant believe Australia gets a game on demand sale cheaper than America, usually other way round.

Kind of glad I passed on most of the FFXIII DLC. Got Lightning's but figured the rest wasn't all that worth it.

That said, unless I pick up Dungeon Fighter, DOTW is probably a pass for me this week and next (unless I decide to bite on Toy Soldiers). Speaking of, may as well ask now. If I only bought one Toy Soldier game, which would be the better one to get?

Waiting to see what all the games will be from the Activision sale, but it looks like Double Fine is a pass unless Psychonauts goes on sale. Already have the rest that I'm interested in.

[quote name='JStryke']That said, unless I pick up Dungeon Fighter, DOTW is probably a pass for me this week and next (unless I decide to bite on Toy Soldiers). Speaking of, may as well ask now. If I only bought one Toy Soldier game, which would be the better one to get?[/QUOTE]

Cold War has local co-op for the campaign, so if you have a friend to play with it's a much better buy. Also several minigames, which are mostly fun. But some folks like Tyler prefer the original game's campaign and aesthetic to Cold War's.

Not a pinball fan but grabbed the 3 tables anyway. This urge to buy stuff that is on sale is killing me.

I already have all those fighting games except xbla VF5. I have the original disc based game, but have not played it. Any reason to pick up this version?

Not sure why there is so much clamoring for skullgirls. I traded with a CAG for it a couple of weeks ago, played it for 3 minutes and turned it off. Something about it just did not sit too well with me. Maybe it,s the fact that I suck at these types of games.

My kids will be interested in Transformers War for Cyberton and it seems to be $35 from amazon in disc form. We could buy two copies for less than that and have it on both Xboxes for everybody and they could play multiplayer. Tempting. Or is this disc version available cheaper (like $10) anywhere?

So this game has no local co-op/online together, right? I.e. we'd need two copies?

About the Dance Central DLC sale: Harmonix replied and said the DLC sale has no official end date, but it will probably last through at least October 16 when Dance Central 3 launches.

[quote name='crunchewy']My kids will be interested in Transformers War for Cyberton and it seems to be $35 from amazon in disc form. We could buy two copies for less than that and have it on both Xboxes for everybody and they could play multiplayer. Tempting. Or is this disc version available cheaper (like $10) anywhere?

So this game has no local co-op/online together, right? I.e. we'd need two copies?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you need two copies. It's worth it. Or really, you could buy it on one system and then have the purchaser play on your second system while signed in to Live, thus allowing you both to play from only one purchased downloadable copy.

[quote name='Decker']Is Major Nelson right about Nights and Sonic Adventures 2 both coming on Friday instead of Wednesday?[/QUOTE]

Yes he is.

[quote name='crunchewy']My kids will be interested in Transformers War for Cyberton and it seems to be $35 from amazon in disc form. We could buy two copies for less than that and have it on both Xboxes for everybody and they could play multiplayer. Tempting. Or is this disc version available cheaper (like $10) anywhere?

So this game has no local co-op/online together, right? I.e. we'd need two copies?[/QUOTE]

Nope no local co op. just drop in drop out co op online

Some interesting stuff coming up. I am actually very excited about the new Keflings dlc next week.
Mini ninja adventures is also interesting since I feel compelled to pick up kinect stuff when it goes on sale.

Dang, sales are looking good; I need to buy points again.

Gonna get NiGHTs, A World of Keflings, Toy Soldiers (original) and maybe Ilomilo from the scratch-off. Can anyone recommend Ilomilo? What about any of the Toy Soldiers DLC?

[quote name='lockarm']Question about FFXIII-2: you know how when you level up, you buy new armor and all. If I buy the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed costumes, could I level up like normal and still wear them the entire time?[/QUOTE]

Funny thing about FFXiii-2 is you never get new armor. So you just equip any of the bought costumes whenever you want. You can play the whole game as N7 or Serahs bikini, haha.

[quote name='JStryke'] If I only bought one Toy Soldier game, which would be the better one to get?

[/QUOTE]

Both are good but if you are looking to go the cheaper route, get the first one.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Dang, sales are looking good; I need to buy points again.

Gonna get NiGHTs, A World of Keflings, Toy Soldiers (original) and maybe Ilomilo from the scratch-off. Can anyone recommend Ilomilo? What about any of the Toy Soldiers DLC?[/QUOTE]

I enjoy Ilomilo. An interesting puzzle game. Not sure how much the sale is for, but at $5, I think it's a must play, unless you wretch at sugary sweet graphics and themes.

[quote name='Felder71']So new Wednesday game this week? Wonder how long it has been since no XBLA game on a Wednesday...[/QUOTE]

Hell Yeah is coming out in other regions on Wednesday this week. I think that's why it's all weird.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Can anyone recommend Ilomilo? What about any of the Toy Soldiers DLC?[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend ilomilo! It has so many great elements. The "story" is really cute and it's really easy gamerscore.

As for Toy Soldiers DLC. I'm missing one from each game so I'll be picking those up.

You may be able to get A World of Keflings for 400 right now. I noticed a glitch where if you purchase in game it's 400 instead of 800. That was a few months ago.

I'm also wondering if there is any point in getting Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown when I already have the disc version.

Hmm, still kind of mixed on Dungeon Fighter Live. It feels like Guardian Heroes + dungeon crawling, which doesn't seem too bad based on the demo, but it seems like it's more multiplayer based (though considering this started as a Free-to-play MMO, that might explain it). I almost feel like waiting to see if it'll go on sale again.

[quote name='Zonic505']Hmm, still kind of mixed on Dungeon Fighter Live. It feels like Guardian Heroes + dungeon crawling, which doesn't seem too bad based on the demo, but it seems like it's more multiplayer based (though considering this started as a Free-to-play MMO, that might explain it). I almost feel like waiting to see if it'll go on sale again.[/QUOTE]

Here's my Dungeon Fighter LIVE review if that helps. Oddly, the best way to play it is local co-op, but you could solo some or all of it if you didn't mind grinding a bunch. It's a very MMO-like, grindy game anyway, which turns some people off, but I still had fun with it.

[quote name='eastx']Here's my Dungeon Fighter LIVE review if that helps. Oddly, the best way to play it is local co-op, but you could solo some or all of it if you didn't mind grinding a bunch. It's a very MMO-like, grindy game anyway, which turns some people off, but I still had fun with it.[/QUOTE]Ahh, what the heck. I might as well get it. I haven't played a beat-'em-up for a while aside from Double Dragon Neon & adding in dungeon crawler elements makes it interesting.

Very tempted to get Transformers WFC for 800msp, I like having the physical copy of Xbox 360 games though when they're available...decisions...

CoD Classic is half-off? Hm. That's a big maybe. Isn't that included with one of the CoD CEs, which I would eventually like to have? Granted, if I got one used, obviously the code would probably be worthless.

Not sure how to feel about the fighting games on sale. I'd like to have them, but I'm not sure I'd like to play them. I've already burned myself buying MvC2 and SF2 - I royally suck at Capcom fighters. Maybe I should try the demo for VF5. If you have any thoughts on its accessibility for someone who plays like a grandma in fighters, feel free to share.

Huh, I was just thinking last week about how I'd buy SF3OE the moment it went on sale, and here it is. I'm kinda disappointed the DLC for VF5 isn't going on sale with the main game, but oh well. And most importantly, fuck yeah NiGHTS.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Maybe I should try the demo for VF5. If you have any thoughts on its accessibility for someone who plays like a grandma in fighters, feel free to share.[/QUOTE]
If you play like a grandma, you'll probably get wrecked in everything you play, but to its credit, VF5 at least has a tutorial that teaches you the main systems of the game (I feel it's a bit barebones, but it's not too bad). Sega also put out a series of tutorial videos on Youtube, with guides for each character. The first video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tlc0RoWwx4

It's definitely more accessible than the mess that is MvC2, but less so than SF2. Either way, 3D fighters play completely differently from 2D ones, and while I can't say I've gotten the hang of it yet, you might find it easier.

[quote name='johnpap']Scratch & Match
Braid -- 400 MSP
Ilomilo -- 400 MSP
Limbo -- 600 MSP[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this, all three of those games are excellent. If somehow people haven't actually purchased them yet.

[quote name='Sath666']Try the demo of Dungeon Fighter first. I wouldn't recommend it -it's really flawed game and gets extremely repetitive with the endless amount of fetch quests...

edit: Arkadian Warriors is 200MSP (50% off) - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/P...acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410807?nosplash=1

[/QUOTE]

I'd cautiously recommend Dungeon Fighter at 400msp. I played through it solo and it's definitely a grind, but there's still a decent amount of fun to be had in it. Expect to be playing for at least 10 hours though. And the levels get repetitive as well.

[quote name='yamayama']Lots of good stuff coming soon!

http://majornelson.com/2012/10/02/content-coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-16/

I'll be getting Toy Soldiers DLC and hopefully Happy Action Theater in next weeks DOTW and Publisher sales.[/QUOTE]

YES! The one thing I'm super excited about is the Toy Soldiers Invasion! DLC. I know it's only a 200msp savings, but I've been waiting forever for that one to go on sale (I was able to get all the others from the trade thread). Can't wait to finally be 100% done with both Toy Soldiers.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']Arkadian Warriors 200 MSP
Assault Heroes 200 MSP
Carcassonne 400 MSP
Faery 600 MSP
Geometry Wars 2 400 MSP
Trials HD 800 MSP

right now...maybe price reductions for October...[/QUOTE]

I remember going through this before haha. Arkadian Warriors, Assault Heroes, and Carcassone are published by Sierra Online, which was absorbed into Activision years ago. Therefore those 3 are sales and part of the Activision Publisher sale. I'm buying Arkadian Warriors. It's a super generic dungeon crawler, but for 200msp I think it's worth it.

GW2 is published by Activision as is also a sale, not a price drop.

Trials HD is more than likely a price drop, and I have no idea about Faery. Because it's 600 and not 800, I'd guess it's a sale of some kind. Though it needs a price drop so it can eventually go on sale and reach the 200-400msp range.

[quote name='JStryke'] That said, unless I pick up Dungeon Fighter, DOTW is probably a pass for me this week and next (unless I decide to bite on Toy Soldiers). Speaking of, may as well ask now. If I only bought one Toy Soldier game, which would be the better one to get?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eastx']Cold War has local co-op for the campaign, so if you have a friend to play with it's a much better buy. Also several minigames, which are mostly fun. But some folks like Tyler prefer the original game's campaign and aesthetic to Cold War's.[/QUOTE]

Haha EastX beat me to the punch, he knew I'd jump all over that question. The first Toy Soldiers is better by a million miles. It's twice as long and far more challenging and rewarding. Local co-op is one benefit of Toy Soldiers: CW, as is killstreak rewards which are kind of fun. But still, TS1 towers over TS:CW.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Dang, sales are looking good; I need to buy points again.

Gonna get NiGHTs, A World of Keflings, Toy Soldiers (original) and maybe Ilomilo from the scratch-off. Can anyone recommend Ilomilo? What about any of the Toy Soldiers DLC?[/QUOTE]

Ilomilo is a blast.

I'm gonna get Prototype, Ilomilo, Braid, Toy Soldiers (possibly the second one too) and maybe Arkadian Warriors although that doesn't look too appealing to me.

Also, I'm curious why you guys quote NEW Amazon prices when comparing them to digital prices on full games. I thought I was about to make a mint on my copy of Transformers: WFC, but the used is only going for around $22 after shipping, not $37.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']

Not sure how to feel about the fighting games on sale. I'd like to have them, but I'm not sure I'd like to play them. I've already burned myself buying MvC2 and SF2 - I royally suck at Capcom fighters. Maybe I should try the demo for VF5. If you have any thoughts on its accessibility for someone who plays like a grandma in fighters, feel free to share.[/QUOTE]

My personal opinion - VF is the most "hardcore" of the 3D hand-to-hand fighters. You will get crushed unless you keep it on easy AI. And even then, it's not a ton of fun unless you really practice and learn the different skill sets of the players. DoA is very newbie friendly as you can have fun even if you aren't very good, and Tekken falls somewhere in between. Even so, $7.50 is a small amount to pay. Just whatever you do, don't start with Akira. Jacky or Sarah would be best.

[quote name='tylerh1701']
I remember going through this before haha. Arkadian Warriors, Assault Heroes, and Carcassone are published by Sierra Online, which was absorbed into Activision years ago. Therefore those 3 are sales and part of the Activision Publisher sale. I'm buying Arkadian Warriors. It's a super generic dungeon crawler, but for 200msp I think it's worth it.

GW2 is published by Activision as is also a sale, not a price drop.

Trials HD is more than likely a price drop, and I have no idea about Faery. Because it's 600 and not 800, I'd guess it's a sale of some kind. Though it needs a price drop so it can eventually go on sale and reach the 200-400msp range.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing this up (again) was looking for an activison brand but didn't know these are owned by Activision lol

On another note 3 fine games in the Sales & Specials App..can recommend all of them.

AND I highly recommend Monkey Island which is also Family DotW! =):lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Felder71']Just whatever you do, don't start with Akira. Jacky or Sarah would be best.[/QUOTE]

I never really got into the VF series, but have been told repeatedly that, of all the characters in all the fighting games out there, Akira is one of the most difficult characters to completely master. I wonder how much of that carried over to the DOA5 Akira.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']Thanks for clearing this up (again) was looking for an activison brand but didn't know these are owned by Activision lol

On another note 3 fine games in the Sales & Specials App..can recommend all of them.

AND I highly recommend Monkey Island which is als Family DotW! =):lol:[/QUOTE]

No problem. :)

[quote name='Thrinn']I never really got into the VF series, but have been told repeatedly that, of all the characters in all the fighting games out there, Akira is one of the most difficult characters to completely master. I wonder how much of that carried over to the DOA5 Akira.[/QUOTE]

Good question about DOA5 Akira.

The Akira issue has to do with him looking a lot like Ryu and therefore, new players gravitate towards him. But he plays with a very stun-heavy, jerky moves, that are not intuitive to most fighting fans. Jacky and Sarah can nail combos with simple button presses and move a lot faster.

VF5 is pretty awful if you're a n00b, good fighters will KO you in 2 combos. Prepare for frustration. And why they made match point 3 wins instead of 2 wins drives me crazy, 90% of the time you know who's gonna win point 3 when they win point 2. i'm glad it's on sale so a bunch of scrubs will be on this week at least. playing against the pros (community is really watered down at this point) really sucks lol, hopefully a bunch of people buy it this week. Also the DLC is a scam, it costs more than the game and it's 100% cosmetic, don't waste your time with it. SFHD finally wheee.

Edit: also they're supposed to patch SF3 3rd strike sometime soon but idk when, if anyone notices when that drops hollar about it

[quote name='tylerh1701']
Haha EastX beat me to the punch, he knew I'd jump all over that question. The first Toy Soldiers is better by a million miles. It's twice as long and far more challenging and rewarding. Local co-op is one benefit of Toy Soldiers: CW, as is killstreak rewards which are kind of fun. But still, TS1 towers over TS:CW.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I was in the same boat trying to decide between one or the other. I suppose I'll download both demos and give them a whirl. It would be great if TS1 was the premium choice since I'd save more points.

How are the respective DLC's?

I appreciate the thoughts shared so far. I will say I feel a hell of a lot more competent in games such as DOA and Soul Calibur than I ever have in Street Fighter. And then there's Mortal Kombat... old-skool knocks my ass flat but the new one is mostly fair to me, at least from what I remember. I should fire that up again. And I don't think I've tried any VF ever! (And I think I'm done editing this post)

Thanks for all the recommendations people posted on Dungeon Fighter Live. I was originally considering buying it, but I think what I really want is for Guardian Heroes to go on special, because that seems far more like what I'm looking for. I'm in no hurry, I can wait a bit longer ;)

Definite worthwhile purchase on Ilomilo at that price.

[quote name='SonicXtreme']VF5 is pretty awful if you're a n00b, good fighters will KO you in 2 combos. Prepare for frustration.[/QUOTE]

If they made a fighting game where a newbie could beat a seasoned player easily, then most people would consider it a pretty crappy game.

And why they made match point 3 wins instead of 2 wins drives me crazy, 90% of the time you know who's gonna win point 3 when they win point 2.

The rounds in VF are shorter than rounds in games like SF or Tekken, so it only makes sense to have more rounds to even things out. And sudden 3-win comebacks aren't unheard of - I've won and lost a few games by them myself.

Also the DLC is a scam, it costs more than the game and it's 100% cosmetic

Capcom fighters do the same damn thing. At least Sega had the decency to charge only $15 for the base game instead of $60. They were also very upfront about their reasons for doing so: the base game was already nearly 2GB, so giving the costumes out for free would have put them over the limit. It also lets them sell the base game for a low price, allowing new players to get into the series (you know, since VF has never been the most popular game overseas), while still allowing hardcore players to get the customization options that the arcade version had. Speaking of customization, the DLC isn't just some crappy costume, it's a ludicrous amount of items that you can use to customize your character (I think a thousand? I dunno what the numbers are). I abhor DLC more than most people here, but even I'm with Sega on this one.

Grabbed Dungeon Fighter, now just waiting on the Kefling Sale next week and the upcoming Doublefine event, and word on if my intended Horror purchases count toward the rewards month.

Patience and self control suck. :booty:

[quote name='harry hood']Thanks, I was in the same boat trying to decide between one or the other. I suppose I'll download both demos and give them a whirl. It would be great if TS1 was the premium choice since I'd save more points.

How are the respective DLC's?[/QUOTE]

None of the DLCs are great, they only add 3 missions each, they also add a couple maps to the competitive side of things, but I don't think many people play those much. The Invasion! one has UFOs, that's the one I haven't played yet and am going to buy, so that should be kind of cool. All of them add extra achievements.

Just like I feel about the main games, I liked the one DLC I've played for TS1 better than either of the TS:CW DLC packs. It was more challenging for me.

And it should be noted that I highly recommend both full games very much. It may seem like I shit on TS:CW a lot, but I'd still give it an 8.5/10 if I had to score it. It's just that I'd give TS1 a 10/10 (it's my 2nd favorite XBLA game ever) and so TS:CW was just a massive disappointment to me in many areas.

[quote name='Gnort']Thanks for all the recommendations people posted on Dungeon Fighter Live. I was originally considering buying it, but I think what I really want is for Guardian Heroes to go on special, because that seems far more like what I'm looking for. I'm in no hurry, I can wait a bit longer ;)[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely recommend Guardian Heroes over Dungeon Fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back