XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Cage017']Suggestion: When a game goes on sale, can you guys add whether or not there is a demo or trial of said game? I didn't know Axel & Pixel and Winterbottom had them until I did a Bing search. Would save a lot of time. In addition, how do you guys know when new trials/demos are added to Live?[/QUOTE]
Each time we @ CAG (and Spylon on XBLDB) link to an XBLA game in the OP, we're using the same link that the Xbox.com Marketplace provides, which simply goes to the page showing ALL Marketplace items for that game. Amongst the items available for purchase/download, you'll see both "Trial Game - " and "Full Game - ". Both download the very same XBLA game, it's just that the "full game" includes a DRM wrapper which includes 2 licenses ... 1 for the console that's 1st downloading the game, and a 2nd license for the purchasing XBL account. That way, when the XBLA game is moved to another system, the purchasing XBL account will still unlock the game (albeit, only when online).

For demos, there's not a great system, except to watch Major Nelson's blog @ www.MajorNelson.com, or other news sites. You could watch new entries available on the Marketplace @ http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games/Xbox360Games?SortBy=ReleaseDate, but frankly, the Xbox.com website is nearly worthless because Search works horribly, and it's difficult for Xbox just keeping it running (though simply having a web-based Marketplace is 1000x better than PSN's lame attempt). On the 360, you could bring up the Marketplace (Games tab -> "Browse Games" square) and look under Arcade, On Demand, or Extras (for Demos), but just watching news sites (like GiantBomb, Joystiq, IGN, X360, GamesRadar, etc) are probably the best outlets for what's coming down the line, because they're plugged into all the publishers, and not just on release-day like Major Nelson.

A few questions.
1. Anybody think a game of the year will come out for borderland 2? I have not got the game yet and it will be a fair while before I get it, just trying to decide if I should get the dlc while it is on special, or wait for a Game of Year.
2. I have mafia 2 already and it looks as though there is a lot of dlc on sale. Any dlc for the game that stands out over the others?
3.For the Bioshock 1 and 2 collection that is coming out it says there is new dlc previously just for ps3. I already have both games so just wanting to know if it is coming out as dlc also?

[quote name='xbox_man']A few questions.
1. Anybody think a game of the year will come out for borderland 2? I have not got the game yet and it will be a fair while before I get it, just trying to decide if I should get the dlc while it is on special, or wait for a Game of Year.[/QUOTE]

Yes

[quote name='GamerDude316']Have still yet to pull the trigger on Mechromancer or Bioshock GOD/DLC...need some recmommendations here.[/QUOTE]

Mechromancer is a fun class, so much that I wish I'd skipped my playthrough with the assassin Zero. Having the Deathtrap makes you a huge asset when playing multiplayer and it also makes single player more fun and slightly easier (I die less because of this).

If you're thinking about BioShock, jump man. It's good stuff. I don't think it can get much cheaper. As far as the DLC goes, I've only played the standard game. Multiplayer on BS2 wasn't bad either, though its not necessary.

[quote name='commandercody83']Mechromancer is a fun class, so much that I wish I'd skipped my playthrough with the assassin Zero. Having the Deathtrap makes you a huge asset when playing multiplayer and it also makes single player more fun and slightly easier (I die less because of this).

If you're thinking about BioShock, jump man. It's good stuff. I don't think it can get much cheaper. As far as the DLC goes, I've only played the standard game. Multiplayer on BS2 wasn't bad either, though its not necessary.[/QUOTE]

I think my only hesitation on Mechromancer is that I'll pretty much just be doing SP. But, I'll probably pick it up anyway since I have the season pass.

For Bioshock, I think I'm just gonna pick up the Ultimate edition. Right now, I'd pay $25 for BS1,2, and Minerva's Den DLC on demand. For an extra $5 I get physical discs, case, additional DLC, stickers, etc.

[quote name='Cage017']

In addition, how do you guys know when new trials/demos are added to Live?[/QUOTE]

At least twice a week--Tuesdays & Fridays--I make it a habit of hitting the Games [Marketplace] on the dashboard (Games tab>>Browse Games>>) and perusing the "New Releases" tile of the pertinent menus:
  • Arcade (where you'll find XBLA titles and their demos),
  • On Demand (self-explan'),
  • Indie (mini-downloadable games produced by the VERY-independent),
  • Add-Ons (again self-explan'), and
  • Demos (a slight-misnomer as it only includes demos of GoD and forthcoming retail games).

The only ones that generally get more than one day a week of new uploads are Add-Ons & Indies from my experience but all-in-all, it generally takes more time to boot-up my 360 than it does to do a quick check to make sure I didn't miss anything just-released. Make it part of your weekly routine. :joystick:

[quote name='GamerDude316']I think my only hesitation on Mechromancer is that I'll pretty much just be doing SP. But, I'll probably pick it up anyway since I have the season pass.

For Bioshock, I think I'm just gonna pick up the Ultimate edition. Right now, I'd pay $25 for BS1,2, and Minerva's Den DLC on demand. For an extra $5 I get physical discs, case, additional DLC, stickers, etc.[/QUOTE]

If you're doing SP it helps to have someone who can draw fire from you, although Axton's turrets may be able to perform the same function, idk. I started as Axton but hated his voice so I played through with the Gunzerker but I'm not a fan of losing the ability to aim with crosshairs during a zerk so now I've started a new game with Gaige and I'm enjoying it so far.

[quote name='xbox_man']A few questions.
1. Anybody think a game of the year will come out for borderland 2? I have not got the game yet and it will be a fair while before I get it, just trying to decide if I should get the dlc while it is on special, or wait for a Game of Year.
[/QUOTE]

BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THE SHIFT CODES YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON!?!! :shock:

No but seriously, if BL1 sold as many copies as it did--AND THEN the GOTY BL1 sold so very well, they'll definitely put-out some kind of collected version for BL2.

I picked up BL2 when it hit $25 during the many November sales (I think it's on sale for $30-35 this week btw) with the intention of playing it a little and being able to get in on all of the Shift Codes that they keep putting out there before they expire (they're usually just keys to get a shot at a random uncommon/rare weapon, but during Halloween they gave-out outfits, which kind of sold me more), and then selling my regular copy to pickup a GOTY version when it hits $40 or so--and really, that's just being generous since I like what Gearbox is doing, but in all honesty, BL1 GOTY had gone on sale for even cheaper it seemed pretty quickly after release so I'd wager that if anyone REALLY wanted to wait, in another year to year-and-a-half you can probably snag BL2 GOTY for $25 while it still has a great following. Then again, that's the name of the game around here anyway: waiting for The cheap.
/end-run-on

[quote name='Cornelius']The Mecromancer Pack works like any XBLA, GoD, DLC, etc ... you get 1 license for the console upon which it's 1st downloaded upon (your 2nd console in this case), and 1 license for your own XBL profile. The game will detect the presence of the DLC on the HDD, and open up the 5th character to play. You'll get some conflicting info if YOU are on the 1st 360 (signed in), and someone else is on the 2nd console (where it was 1st downloaded), because to them, it will still say the content is available to be purchased for 800 MSP (400 thru Tuesday morning) ... but it will also say "Installed" (and yes, even in a green font!), meaning it's still valid, but just not purchased by the current XBL account.

PSN works just like the "1st console downloaded" rule ... as long as there's a valid console license on the console, then any account (profile) on that console has access to the Mechromancer, even though the game still prompts the other profiles to buy the pack.

So in summary, yes, it's safe to purchase on your 2nd Xbox to use for any account there. The only difference to that "1st download console + current Live account" dual-license paradigm are avatar items ... because they're ONLY valid for the XBL account that purchased them, regardless of where they were downloaded.[/QUOTE]

I'm having issues with the two DLCs. When the wife tries to play them on the first console I downloaded them on it gives her an option to purchase but says "downloaded" in yellow, (not "installed" in green). I got the content through the season pass. We have tried everything to "install" the DLC so she can play it without me being signed in. Perhaps the season pass variable changes things?

[quote name='Sanges99']BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THE SHIFT CODES YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON!?!! :shock:

No but seriously, if BL1 sold as many copies as it did--AND THEN the GOTY BL1 sold so very well, they'll definitely put-out some kind of collected version for BL2.

I picked up BL2 when it hit $25 during the many November sales (I think it's on sale for $30-35 this week btw) with the intention of playing it a little and being able to get in on all of the Shift Codes that they keep putting out there before they expire (they're usually just keys to get a shot at a random uncommon/rare weapon, but during Halloween they gave-out outfits, which kind of sold me more), and then selling my regular copy to pickup a GOTY version when it hits $40 or so--and really, that's just being generous since I like what Gearbox is doing, but in all honesty, BL1 GOTY had gone on sale for even cheaper it seemed pretty quickly after release so I'd wager that if anyone REALLY wanted to wait, in another year to year-and-a-half you can probably snag BL2 GOTY for $25 while it still has a great following. Then again, that's the name of the game around here anyway: waiting for The cheap.
/end-run-on[/QUOTE]
dude, that ZAMN avatar, awesome. i wish that game would come to xbla, perfect for online coop :(

[quote name='Sanges99']At least twice a week--Tuesdays & Fridays--I make it a habit of hitting the Games [Marketplace] on the dashboard (Games tab>>Browse Games>>) and perusing the "New Releases" tile of the pertinent menus:
  • Arcade (where you'll find XBLA titles and their demos),
  • On Demand (self-explan'),
  • Indie (mini-downloadable games produced by the VERY-independent),
  • Add-Ons (again self-explan'), and
  • Demos (a slight-misnomer as it only includes demos of GoD and forthcoming retail games).
[/QUOTE]

I THINK that add ons get updates on Monday... I think

[quote name='The 7th Number']Nice, im glad i looked in this thread, i always wanted to play the full game of PB Winterbottom, and now its only 2.50, STEAL!!![/QUOTE]

Wow, the thread title is out of date again.

Cornelius, you should create a new XBLA thread, just make it a wiki again, but that way you can edit the title right away so CAGs who just peruse the main deals thread don't miss things. You can also have access to the next few posts of the OP, that way everything doesn't necessarily have to be stuffed into the first post of the OP.

If you want, I'll do it, but I think it needs to be done.

I just finished Axel & Pixel and it is well worth the 200 MSP. Takes about 3 hours to complete for 200/200 achievement points. The minigames are slightly annoying but they aren't to bad. One of the minigames reminded me alot of Trials HD.

Time to continue on my XBLA Backlog Spree. This weekend I have finished Anomaly: Warzone Earth, 3 on 3 NHL Arcade (the online surprisingly isn't dead) and Axel & Pixel. Next up is Beyond Good & Evil HD (already beat on the Gamecube) and Bionic Commando: Rearmed (likely will give up and skip this one).

[quote name='tylerh1701']Wow, the thread title is out of date again.

Cornelius, you should create a new XBLA thread, just make it a wiki again, but that way you can edit the title right away so CAGs who just peruse the main deals thread don't miss things. You can also have access to the next few posts of the OP, that way everything doesn't necessarily have to be stuffed into the first post of the OP.

If you want, I'll do it, but I think it needs to be done.[/QUOTE]

Somebody needs to do it please!!

[quote name='Bradisback']Somebody needs to do it please!![/QUOTE]

I'll do it tomorrow afternoon when I get some free time, unless someone wants to do it before then. I have a feeling that the copy/pasting of info from the OP isn't going to go super smoothly, so some formatting time will be required. I'll also get in contact with a mod to see about closing down this thread, that way we don't have 2 active ones at the same time.

If anyone has any objections or further suggestions please feel free to PM me or just post them here. I hope I'm not stepping over my bounds here, I just feel like this change would be useful to the CAG community. I know, for me personally, thread titles are super important when I'm browsing the deals forum.

[quote name='LordVila']I just finished Axel & Pixel and it is well worth the 200 MSP. Takes about 3 hours to complete for 200/200 achievement points. The minigames are slightly annoying but they aren't to bad. One of the minigames reminded me alot of Trials HD.[/QUOTE]

I tried that one 50+ times and couldn't do it. I just gave up after that. Too bad because I liked the rest of the game and would have liked to finish it.

[quote name='keit2208']If you're doing SP it helps to have someone who can draw fire from you, although Axton's turrets may be able to perform the same function, idk. I started as Axton but hated his voice...[/QUOTE]

Axton's turrets do create a distraction and draw fire. I am playing as him now and don't even notice the voice. Maybe I got used to it but it seems like you hear it only very infrequently and I couldn't even tell you what it sounds like. I guess everyone picks up on different details in different ways.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']Axton's turrets do create a distraction and draw fire. I am playing as him now and don't even notice the voice. Maybe I got used to it but it seems like you hear it only very infrequently and I couldn't even tell you what it sounds like. I guess everyone picks up on different details in different ways.[/QUOTE]
Axton's voice isn't a problem for me ... but having an NPC (in this case Axton's turrets) are HUGELY enjoyable for the fact that once deployed ...
  • ... the turret will decimate everything in the proximity, leaving you free to run around & loot (saving time).
  • ... the turret will find enemies you never saw (behind you, in back of objects, in back of walls, etc)
  • ... the turret will SLAG everything in sight (once you hit level 30'ish), meaning your shots will do at least 2x damage, not to mention some environmental resistance goes down.
  • ... the turret will resurrect you from death within 5 seconds (usually less), as long as ANYTHING is within sensing/firing distance (and you deployed before health reaches "0").
  • ... the turret can fight 20 meters above you, or "infinite" below you, which is great for clearing ledges where you can't see the entire area (usually because it's above you).
  • ... (depending upon skill tree) the turret will stick to anything, including ceilings & out-of-reach sections, thus avoiding any melee attacks upon it.
  • ... (depending upon skill tree) the turret shoots both bullets & rockets (so enemies take direct & splash damage)
  • ... (depending upon skill tree) the turret can be deployed 2x during the same power-up period.
  • ... (depending upon skill tree) the turret can heal/shield you within its AoE.
  • ... (depending upon skill tree) the turret can be a nuke.
In my mind, characters with NPC's (so Axton & Gaige) are the easiest characters to play in single-player (and potentially the most fun), because you have a loyal buddy who will always have your back. The decision whether to buy the Mecromancer is an easy one ... do you want to have fun playing in a way that's different than Axton vs. the other 3, or do you only plan to play the game only once?

Oh, 1 more thing ... the turret doesn't complain that you're stealing all the loot. :lol:

P.S. Everyone noticed that the 360 version is only $30 this week at Best Buy, right? If so, that means you can 5 different character-type play-throughs if you buy the game plus the Mechromancer. I can't help you with the Season Pass, but you were already notified about that LOOOOOONG ago by many hard-working folks here. :D

[quote name='tylerh1701']I'll do it tomorrow afternoon when I get some free time, unless someone wants to do it before then. I have a feeling that the copy/pasting of info from the OP isn't going to go super smoothly, so some formatting time will be required. I'll also get in contact with a mod to see about closing down this thread, that way we don't have 2 active ones at the same time.

If anyone has any objections or further suggestions please feel free to PM me or just post them here. I hope I'm not stepping over my bounds here, I just feel like this change would be useful to the CAG community. I know, for me personally, thread titles are super important when I'm browsing the deals forum.[/QUOTE]

I say wait for Corn Daddy to do it.

[quote name='bajingo']I THINK that add ons get updates on Monday... I think[/QUOTE]

They might, but I know that Rock Band dlc drops on Tuesdays... and in all honesty, I was probably being conservative by saying I only check for new drops twice a week, it's probably closer to 3-4. :whistle2:$

[quote name='SonicXtreme']dude, that ZAMN avatar, awesome. i wish that game would come to xbla, perfect for online coop :([/QUOTE]

I KNOW, RIGHT!? What kills me most is that it's available as a download for the Wii (whatever they call their downloads, it's been so long I've lost all notion by now).

[quote name='SonicXtreme']dude, that ZAMN avatar, awesome. i wish that game would come to xbla, perfect for online coop :([/quote]

[quote name='Sanges99']
I KNOW, RIGHT!? What kills me most is that it's available as a download for the Wii (whatever they call their downloads, it's been so long I've lost all notion by now).[/QUOTE]

lol I noticed your Zombies Ate My Neighbors avatar too, I love that game, so much fun and personality.

I would love to see it on XBLA, redone for widescreen (but otherwise untouched).

anyone thinking about buying EA 3 on 3 hockey should save their dollars and go buy NHL Hitz for xbox, it's sooooo much better, obviously no online play but one of the best local MP games ever made. alternatively if you like nba jam, you should check out nhl open ice for pc or ps1 if you have a ps3 or something, it's basically nba jam tournament edition on ice, even against the computer i never get tired of that game, i love it.

Bought joes adventure for mafia 2. Any thoughts on jimmys vendetta worth it? Is raven strike for ghost recon worth it for single player what does it add?

[quote name='Lonedragon87']Bought joes adventure for mafia 2. Any thoughts on jimmys vendetta worth it? Is raven strike for ghost recon worth it for single player what does it add?[/QUOTE]

the answer to your questions can be found on google by typing your questions into the search bar

[quote name='SonicXtreme']anyone thinking about buying EA 3 on 3 hockey should save their dollars and go buy NHL Hitz for xbox, it's sooooo much better, obviously no online play but one of the best local MP games ever made. alternatively if you like nba jam, you should check out nhl open ice for pc or ps1 if you have a ps3 or something, it's basically nba jam tournament edition on ice, even against the computer i never get tired of that game, i love it.[/QUOTE]

NHL Hitz 20-03
NHL Open Ice
NHL Rock The Rink
Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey
Blockey

Are all way better than that lackluster 3 vs. 3 game EA put out.

I'm seeing a Sleepydogs pic on the dashboard for sales and specials! Close to my fave game of 2012. It has one of the better premium themes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back