XBLA 2/7 game is Root Beer Tapper

Sporadic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
Wednesday morning, you can begin downloading the Midway classic Root Beer Tapper.

From the media alert we sent out a few minutes ago:

“Root Beer Tapper” will be available worldwide (excluding Korea and Japan) for 400 Microsoft Points.

Game Features
Authentic to the original game, “Root Beer Tapper” on Xbox Live Arcade brings you a classic favorite.
Take on a bar full of thirsty folks in “Root Beer Tapper” and see if you can keep their mugs full.
Grab the empty mugs before they slide off the bar.
Earn extra points by collecting tips.
Locate and open the one can that has not been shaken up and serve it up to waiting patrons in the bonus rounds.
Enjoy high-definition support for detailed graphics.
Play either locally or over Xbox Live* in co-op or versus modes.
Have your scores posted on the Xbox Live Leaderboard. High scores are tracked for the current week and also for all-time arcade, co-op and versus game modes.
Earn up to 12 Achievements and 200 gamerscore points.

“Root Beer Tapper” is rated E for Everyone.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/02/05/540745.aspx

Lame.

Maybe they thought the sweet taste of a $5 root beer game could wash down the nasty taste in our mouths of no release last week(and basically no release this week >_>)

I'll stick to Super Mario World on the VC, I think.

Kind of sucks I haven't bought any points for the XBLA since November... or was it October?

I really wish they'd drop these to say, 200 points... but I know that's not feasible. Or maybe I could trade in the games that I hated that were a waste of money (Gauntlet...) for something better =/

dont.jpg

After annoucing some games that alot of people are excited for...give them one of the worst games ever made. I mean the midway collection already has this piece of shit on it WITH LEADERBOARDS. Even an achivement whore wont find enough reason to get 200 points for this game. I fucking hate the XBLA service since its just way too sparse and they give themselves a week off after releasing a shitty broken patch.

okay, it's time to start spamming Major Nelson's blog with "Where the fuck are the games?" copied and pasted as many times as necessary.

he doesn't even have an announcement for this game up.

[quote name='Apossum']okay, it's time to start spamming Major Nelson's blog with "Where the fuck are the games?" copied and pasted as many times as necessary.

he doesn't even have an announcement for this game up.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's embarassed.

he should be. people are starting to post in the Halo 3 beta announcement about it ^_^ (which is another matter...just fucking launch a beta without the bullshit. they're already going to make 3 trillion off of Halo 3, but now they need to milk the demo as well? pft.)

[quote name='Roufuss']Maybe he's embarassed.[/QUOTE]

Probably doesn't want to deal with the comments.

I'm just grateful its something. I booted up the marketplace today and only found the Penny Arcade theme.

Well, let's all be grateful they ANNOUNCED another awesome game (Super Ghouls and Ghosts) while giving us one we can find elsewhere alot cheaper or for free :roll:

that game always made me really stressed out and nervous (in not a good way).. i always hated how you had to press the button TWICE to serve a beer.. it just felt like shit play mechanics to me. very sloppy. obviously i'm refering to the console pc versions and not the old tap cabinet.

i did like how the third level "intermission" was a punk rock show.. if i recall correctly.

I just want my fucking backwards compatibility so I can play this on Midway Arcade Treasures which cost me 10 bucks and has about 25 games on it.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']I just want my fucking backwards compatibility so I can play this on Midway Arcade Treasures which cost me 10 bucks and has about 25 games on it.[/QUOTE]

But "Midway Arcade Treasures" doesn't give you achievements... or the leader scoreboard now does it? ;)

Root Beer Tapper?!?! They could have at least used "Tapper" the original.
This is supposed to be an adult system right? Either way, not too interested.

[quote name='Demolition Man']But "Midway Arcade Treasures" doesn't give you achievements... or the leader scoreboard now does it? ;)[/QUOTE]
It does give you online leaderboards.

This is a rather weak start to the XBL awesomeness that was promised. But if they'd freaking release Worms already (how about next week?), I would be willing to overlook this transgression... :)

My biggest gripe, as I mentioned on the gamerscoreblog site, is that Root Beer Tapper was by far the weakest title on the list. I mean, if Paperboy was offered I wouldn't mind so much. Hell, it'd be even better if both titles were offered this week.

Instead, they toss out something Zucker has publically stated has been finished for a while.

Canessa and his lisp need to be fired for this garbage. Team 17's stated that Worms is ready to go. Why not give us Root Beer Tapper when we're busy with Crackdown and the Halo 3 beta in two weeks.

However, as someone who enjoys the arcade and I mentioned it earlier, I'm just grateful for something this week. They've got the Live Vision update for Texas Hold 'em finally ready, so I assumed that was going to be this week's release.

[quote name='doubledown']Why the hatred for Root Beer Tapper....yum yum[/QUOTE]

Its not so much hatred, as much as the fact its a weak title. Even back then, I had a hard time spending money on it.

Also, it doesn't work too well when you release a list of major titles such as Castlevania, Alien Hominid, and Catan and offer up a quick and dirty port for the first week out.

I guess the silver lining is that once Root Beer Tapper is out of the way, there's no chance of it showing up one week from Wednesday.

With Achievements and online play, even though I already have it on the compilation disc, God help me, I'm almost certainly going to buy it. Anyone who thinks this is the "worst game ever" is under thirty and/or just not grasping the frenetic 'spinning plates' mechanic of the gameplay.

We'll get our 'real' games sooner or later, I'm not worried. But then again, for so many, all your gaming lives you have looked away, to the future, to what you still lack. Never your minds on what you have...hmph!...what you are playing! Hmph!

EDIT: Canessa and his lisp need to be fired for this garbage.

Am I the only one who hears the 'lithp' in Major (Diva) Nelson's voice even moreso? "Dee-Eth Lite", anyone?

EDIT II: But "Midway Arcade Treasures" doesn't give you achievements... or the leader scoreboard now does it?

Actually, it does (did?) have the latter. I was actually in the Top Ten for Sinistar at one point. You don't forget life-changing and defining accomplishments like that very easily.

[quote name='terribledeli']
Also, it doesn't work too well when you release a list of major titles such as Castlevania, Alien Hominid, and Catan and offer up a quick and dirty port for the first week out.
[/QUOTE]

This is the problem - they keep trumpting these awesome titles in our face, and keep announcing games months before they come out, that of course people will be disappointed when it's just Root Beer Tapper when stuff like Worms and SOTN has gotten all the hype.

I wish XBLA would take an almost VC like approach to this and just shut up about what games are coming out, and just surprise us, or just announce the big ones but then stop hyping them every two weeks.

[quote name='gunm']All up hill from here, baby.[/QUOTE]

not sure if you mean everything is going to be good or bad from now on, but man, my expectations are rock bottom at this point. the only thing that could lower them any more is if they release Pac-Man Jr. next week.

[quote name='Apossum']not sure if you mean everything is going to be good or bad from now on, but man, my expectations are rock bottom at this point. the only thing that could lower them any more is if they release Pac-Man Jr. next week.[/QUOTE]

Well there are ten nine games lined up for release.

3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
Alien Hominid HD
Band of Bugs
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Catan
Eets: Chowdown
LUXOR 2
Paperboy
Root Beer Tapper
Worms

[quote name='Sporadic']Well there are ten nine games lined up for release.

Alien Hominid HD
Band of Bugs
Catan
LUXOR 2
Paperboy
Root Beer Tapper
Worms[/QUOTE]

yeah, there have been tons of games lined up for release for a long time now and I've lost track of all that has been announced. we never see them. There's no way they'll release all those this month.

[quote name='Sporadic']Well there are ten nine games lined up for release.

Alien Hominid HD
Band of Bugs
Catan
LUXOR 2
Paperboy
Root Beer Tapper
Worms[/quote]

All crap too.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, there have been tons of games lined up for release for a long time now and I've lost track of all that has been announced. we never see them. There's no way they'll release all those this month.[/QUOTE]

Those were the ones listed in the press release they sent out

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/01/30/540428.aspx

Starting with the first release in February, 10 highly anticipated titles will begin making their way to Xbox Live Arcade, including these (titles are not listed in chronological release order):

All these games are scheduled to become available during Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays in the coming weeks, and specific game information will be announced closer to each game’s launch date. Although a game may not be launched every week, every Wednesday is an opportunity to share in the Xbox Live Arcade experience with friends and family.

if you read between the lines, they aren't committing themselves to releasing those games in February. they're just saying that those games are ready. they're also giving themselves an out by saying there might not be a release every week.

so, we're back to square one with XBLA-- no commitment from MS, just a lot of nice looking announcements.

(jeez, aren't I the cheery one in this thread? :lol: )

bread's done
Back