XBLA - Costume Quest - Expansion "Grubbins on Ice" out NOW! (Only 400 MSP!)

utopianmachine

Nintendo Fangirl
Feedback
241 (100%)
Costume Quest

Developer: Double Fine
Release Date : October 20th, 2010
Price: 1200 MSP
Websites: http://www.costumequestgame.com/
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/costumequestxbla/

LATEST NEWS

The Grubbins on Ice expansion is now available to download!

"Continue the Costume Quest adventure by exploring the monster world, Repugia. Face new enemies while collecting additional quests, costumes, battle stamps and creepy treat cards. Help the monsters overthrow Araxia to bring peace back to Repugia! Unlock now!"

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...s-on-Ice/e86d840b-a3f7-4566-90f2-d88bd7b39375

Play as Wren or Reynold, in this action-adventure role-playing game that unfolds on Halloween night across seemingly peaceful suburban neighborhoods, a mysterious village carnival and a monster-infested shopping mall. Go door-to-door collecting candy, points, cards, battle stamps and quest assignments to prepare for combat. Use your wit, bravery and home-made costumes with superpowers to rid the neighborhood of creepy monsters and SAVE HALLOWEEN!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJC1NSIQbn4[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd likely pay up to 1600 myself. Double Fine is still one my favorite developers, even with the slightly disappointing Brutal Legend. I am really psyched to see them go the Arcade route and think they could find a good niche here.

Hooray that this is getting bumped up in date before Halloween. I'm a big fan of Double Fine and RPGs so seeing them come together tickles the cockles of my fanboy heart.

A new arcade release on a Sunday? That's weird! I am interested though I love Double Fine games. Psychonauts was one of my favorite games of the last generation.

Ok, I'm sold. My kids will like it too for sure. Especially with the points promo this looks solid. So this and Lara Croft or perhaps something else. Maybe Comic Jumper, but I wasn't a fan of 'Splosion Man.

I'm a sucker for spooky Halloween stuff, not the super scary/grotesque stuff, but the cute and spooky stuff. This looks right up that alley and, i agree, I can see my 5 yo daughter liking this too. Should be fun, plus it'll fall in that "spend 2400 get 800 points back" promo. Noyce!

I'm glad to see this thread generating more interest. I think the 2400 points promo is helping that. Personally, so long as the demo is good (and I have no reason to think it won't be), I'll be downloading it as part of the promotion.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ok, I'm sold. My kids will like it too for sure. Especially with the points promo this looks solid. So this and Lara Croft or perhaps something else. Maybe Comic Jumper, but I wasn't a fan of 'Splosion Man.[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of Splosion Man?! Oh dear..

Looks interesting. Very weird that it's releasing on the weekend. I'll definitely be checking it out.

[quote name='chahi']Looks interesting. Very weird that it's releasing on the weekend. I'll definitely be checking it out.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will be released on a weekend, but I guess we shall see. My guess is that the date should be 11/10, which is a Wednesday.

surprisingly charming, if they release a demo and it's fun...I just might have to get it. I chuckled a bit when I saw the ghey robot unicorn from adult swim.

awesome. looks unique and original, which most Double Fine games are. I need to see a review first. I could go up to 1200 on this one, depending on length.

Look folks - I am first in line so you're too late already, but you better get in line or they're liable to sell out!

Actually it looks like it takes major queues from Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, etc. In fact it kind of looks like a boring version of those games (the video I saw from ??? just showed the game as being, walk up to door: battle or candy. I'm still excited though, because I can't believe that's all it is. :)

[quote name='Cephiros']I think Giant Bomb's quick look might have sold me on this. I will have to check it out this coming Wednesday.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. That and this will help me towards that 2400 points goal this month.

Did not even know about this game until today. Pretty fun/funny rpg game with fat princess type of graphics. check it out.

[quote name='utopianmachine']The demo for Costume Quest is live, folks.[/QUOTE]

Argh, I tried adding it to my queue from xbox.com, but it's still really slow from the update.

Playing the game now. Apparently I unlocked an avatar item, but I bet I won't even be able to see what it is, since I have the newer Avatars...

It is an EXCELLENT game. The graphical polish is totally there, and the art style and game dialogue is really terrific. I'm having a blast.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Playing the game now. Apparently I unlocked an avatar item, but I bet I won't even be able to see what it is, since I have the newer Avatars...

It is an EXCELLENT game. The graphical polish is totally there, and the art style and game dialogue is really terrific. I'm having a blast.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I cannot wait to get home and check it out. Keep coming with impressions, if you can.

Just quit playing after an hour or so. I really enjoyed my romp through the neighborhood, whacking mailboxes for candy and interacting with all the great NPCs. I'm actually stuck now, if you can believe it.

I've found 4 of the 6 kids playing hide-and-go-seek. Mrs. Pumpin Pie lady wants an ingredient I think comes from a tree I can't get to without making a new patriotic costume. I have 2 of the parts for it. I can't get through the water tunnel with the robot or knight costume. I've hit every house I can find. I must be missing something.

Thanks for that. Was going to post that link.

Argeezy, in case you don't know, on this forum, folks appreciate it if you keep game discussions in their topic thread.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just quit playing after an hour or so. I really enjoyed my romp through the neighborhood, whacking mailboxes for candy and interacting with all the great NPCs. I'm actually stuck now, if you can believe it.

I've found 4 of the 6 kids playing hide-and-go-seek. Mrs. Pumpin Pie lady wants an ingredient I think comes from a tree I can't get to without making a new patriotic costume. I have 2 of the parts for it. I can't get through the water tunnel with the robot or knight costume. I've hit every house I can find. I must be missing something.
[/QUOTE]

When I made my thread I only looked for something consisting of this game in the first 2 pages and there was nothing, my fault though. did you find out what the avatar award/s is?

Although I can't see it through my Xbox, I can see it on Xbox.com. The first avatar award you get very early on and is a
pumpkin pail avatar prop. The other avatar item says that it's a pumpkin mask, but you don't get it until you finish the game.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just quit playing after an hour or so. I really enjoyed my romp through the neighborhood, whacking mailboxes for candy and interacting with all the great NPCs. I'm actually stuck now, if you can believe it.

[/QUOTE]

Stuck? As in, you have a quest and you've talked to everybody and gone everywhere and still don't know what to do? Then you eventually find it in some forgotten region of the game or it expects you to do something ludicrous to get past that point? That kind of stuck? Because I hate that kind of stuck.

I need to try this demo out, this game looks like it could be right up my alley. I have Fallout New Vegas, Civ V, NHL 11, and NBA 2K11 to play but I could always use more. :D

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Stuck? As in, you have a quest and you've talked to everybody and gone everywhere and still don't know what to do? Then you eventually find it in some forgotten region of the game or it expects you to do something ludicrous to get past that point? That kind of stuck? Because I hate that kind of stuck.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought the issue was. I figured there was somewhere I wasn't seeing that I had to get to.

Turns out I had missed a fairly basic game mechanic. Every costume has a special ability, and it turns out I hadn't realized that
the Knight costume created a shield effect, which would let me block the water and get into the tunnel.
Once I figured that out, everything else opened up. I'm past all those obstacles now. Love this game! :applause:

I attempted to download the demo around 4am this morning, but it wasn't up. From what I've seen it looks pretty cool, but the turn based fighting turns me off. I'll still give it a shot and hope to like it as I really like the look of it.

[/QUOTE]
Use the knight's shield to get past water and other overhead hazards. The last costume piece should be in the sewer since the other leads to the other two pieces.

bread's done
Back