XBLA - Doom - 800pts

Bought, even though I have the Doom Collector's Edition on PC (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom) and Doom 3 CE (Xbox -- even though I have it and the expansion on PC and prefer it that way).

Pros:

Loads faster than Doom 3 CE (Xbox)
Achievements
Online multiplayer
Relatively cheap when compared to content of other XBLA games
It's fscking DOOM

Cons:

You probably already own it

[quote name='KaneRobot']Playing a PSP game on a $400 console is supposed to be exciting?

I don't fault people for being excited about this...I'm far more interested in the "real" games they have coming, but Doom is a nice appetizer.[/QUOTE]

What you fail to realize is, that Lumines Live is supposed to be a DIFFERENT game than lumines for PSP.

It just seems to me that the more we accept stuff like DOOM as being something we "want" on XBLA, the more they are going to settle and just release rehash after rehash. Why innovate when people will happily pay $10 to play a game that was released 13 years ago.

Being a new 360 owner, but a long time PC gamer my opinion about the subject may not match with those who have been with XBLA for longer periods of time...but I guess that's why some will buy it, and some won't.

anyone know how the leaderboards work?

i beat level 1 in 14 seconds on nightmare but somehow i'm ranked 400+ for the level :(

Dear god (John Carmack),

Please please please port all of the Commander Keens to XBLA. It would be the best thing ever.

Signed a loyal iD fan,
Sporaidc

[quote name='JDMxB']What you fail to realize is, that Lumines Live is supposed to be a DIFFERENT game than lumines for PSP.

It just seems to me that the more we accept stuff like DOOM as being something we "want" on XBLA, the more they are going to settle and just release rehash after rehash. Why innovate when people will happily pay $10 to play a game that was released 13 years ago.

Being a new 360 owner, but a long time PC gamer my opinion about the subject may not match with those who have been with XBLA for longer periods of time...but I guess that's why some will buy it, and some won't.[/QUOTE]

I didn't fail to realize anything. If you think that Lumines on the 360 is going to be some overwhelmingly new experience compared to the original PSP game - or Lumines II, for that matter - have fun.

I'm more interested in stuff like Small Arms and Castle Crashers, but I have no problem with older games that are fondly remembered. Stuff like Doom and SFII is great, especially compared to "what the hell?" releases like Time Pilot and Gyruss.

[quote name='Sporadic']Dear god (John Carmack),

Please please please port all of the Commander Keens to XBLA. It would be the best thing ever.

Signed a loyal iD fan,
Sporaidc[/QUOTE]

seconded.... I'll download those quicker than doom.

[quote name='rsigley']i wish they had a compilation for $10

doom 64, doom 1, doom 2, final doom, etc.[/quote]
'
yep then it mite be worth the 10$

So who's playing online? Is there really lag? I haven't decided if I'm going to go ahead with the purchase or not yet.

[quote name='Francis']So who's playing online? Is there really lag? I haven't decided if I'm going to go ahead with the purchase or not yet.[/QUOTE]

i haven't had a lag free match yet

co op isn't so bad, but deathmatch forget it

[quote name='rsigley']i haven't had a lag free match yet

co op isn't so bad, but deathmatch forget it[/quote]

Seriously? Game is becoming old as dirt and they can't make it lag free? God only knows what would happen with Lumines.

[quote name='JDMxB']
I'll be happy when they say something about Lumines Live.[/QUOTE]

Here is something about lumines live:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/27/x06-mini-impressions-thp8-lumines-fuzion-frenzy-2/

"Lumines Live: The Xbox Live version of the PSP puzzler is actually significantly harder to control -- neither the analog stick nor the digital pad are precise enough for quick moves. Playing on a big screen is nice, but it actually makes it harder to take in the whole playfield with one quick glance. And the new mission mode seems intriguing, but there are only five levels available unless you purchase an additional mission pack. Yikes!"

Just so everyone knows there is no Doom II in this XBLA game. This is basically Ultimate Doom with all 4 episodes.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Here is something about lumines live:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/27/x06-mini-impressions-thp8-lumines-fuzion-frenzy-2/

"Lumines Live: The Xbox Live version of the PSP puzzler is actually significantly harder to control -- neither the analog stick nor the digital pad are precise enough for quick moves. Playing on a big screen is nice, but it actually makes it harder to take in the whole playfield with one quick glance. And the new mission mode seems intriguing, but there are only five levels available unless you purchase an additional mission pack. Yikes!"[/QUOTE]
Sounds bad.

I've got to stop getting excited about these surprise XBLA announcements. I mean, if they had updated the visuals a touch, or something, then MAYBE I could see re-re-re-buying a game I beat to death 12-13 years ago. But a straight port (w/ online, yes)? I don't think so.

What's sad is I can think of a ton of games they COULD do straight ports on that would hold up better & benefit from Live more imo. Worms anyone? How about some Rock 'n Roll Racing? Someone mentioned Killer Instinct last week - that would work.

Of course, what I really want is some original content here. I guess just wake me when Small Arms releases...

You weren't lying about the lag, it is horrible. 99% of the games have like 1 red bar, which is the worst possible condition. Oh well the single player is still good, and with the rest of my points I got Geometry Wars and thinking about using the rest on Smash TV. Anyone still play that?

[quote name='rsigley']i wish they had a compilation for $10

doom 64, doom 1, doom 2, final doom, etc.[/QUOTE]

They do (except for doom 64) and its on the PC, and its the same price as this is. Luckily, if you load a web browser, your PC can handle that compilation.

Just played deathmatch, there was no sign of lag but it was odd that there was no score and the game didnt seem to end, I quit after 30min.

Spent the last hour trying to take first on the leaderboards in Episode 1, Map 1. Came away with third... for now. I'm loving this game.

[quote name='zewone']Doom CE doesn't have hella fun 4 player online co-op. Well worth the price.[/quote]WRONG! Try again!

Oh heck, just click this and download the client, place in your doom.wad and doom2.wad, and enjoy. Up to 16 players in DM, CTF, FFA, 1-on-1, and Coop, use of your keyboard and mouse, higher resolution, mostly unnoticable lag, mods, etc.

Seriously, I don't understand what the big deal about this on the 360 is.

[quote name='Z-Saber']WRONG! Try again!

Oh heck, just click this and download the client, place in your doom.wad and doom2.wad, and enjoy. Up to 16 players in DM, CTF, FFA, 1-on-1, and Coop, use of your keyboard and mouse, higher resolution, mostly unnoticable lag, mods, etc.

Seriously, I don't understand what the big deal about this on the 360 is.[/QUOTE]
That you can play it on your television, with friends on your friends list and matchmaking.

That's well worth $8 dollars.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Official info:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/d/doomxboxlivearcade/default.htm

Today would have been an awesome day to call in sick. Damn I hate being stuck here at work.[/QUOTE]

Looks like they redid the page..

Gameplay: Experience all the classic DOOM levels, monsters, and weapons. Play the entire single-player game solo or in co-op mode via split screen or over Xbox Live.
Multiplayer: Play up to four-player deathmatch, either in split-screen or on Xbox Live. Earn achievements and check the leaderboards for the high scores.
Next-generation features: With 1080i HD support, 5.1 Surround Sound, and smooth textures, this is DOOM for the next generation.

That sucks. Would have been totally worth $10 for Doom 1+2 on XBL. God forbid they give me my money's worth on ancient games which take very little additional effort to put together.

This mornign before work I had some no lag matches, then it was back to the lag

Guess I was just getting crappy people all night

[quote name='Brak']That you can play it on your television, with friends on your friends list and matchmaking.

That's well worth $8 dollars.[/quote]Valid points, but it's still better on the PC.

[quote name='Z-Saber']WRONG! Try again![/QUOTE]
How does this mode affect Doom 3 Collectors Edition for the Microsoft Xbox videogame console?

Oh, wait... it doesn't.

[quote name='zewone']How does this mode affect Doom 3 Collectors Edition for the Microsoft Xbox videogame console?

Oh, wait... it doesn't.[/quote]When I think of Doom CE, I think of:
[quote name='redgopher']Doom Collector's Edition on PC (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom)...[/quote]not Doom 3 CE for Xbox.

bread's done
Back