XBLA - Doom - 800pts

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Anyone know why it is limited to 4 player death matches?[/quote]
Because then they can sell you a mod that allows up to 16 players sometime down the road. I'm thinking 400 points. ;)

Can anyone help me find all the secret rooms in the 1st level? I'm trying to get the "Hoarder" achievement to get it I need to find all the items in the level. I'm missing something. I know there's a secret door to the right of the level, that's the only one I've found, I've gone through the visible areas, killed 100% of the enemies, grabbed all items but I'm still short from 100%. Thanks in advance.

From a Doom Shareware secrets Help file found at http://www.gamers.org/dhs/chtssplr/dmshrwr.html

1-1 At the end of the room of ooze, check the discolored wall on the
right. This leads to a blue armor suit.

1-2 When you cross the barrel in the room before the exit room, the
ledge that the pesky imps were shooting you from in the ooze room
lowers. Go back and check it out.

1-3: After lowering the pesky imp ledge (1-2), if you go back
through the curved hallway into the "blue" room, a floor
board in the hallway lowers a small elevator in the chamber
where the pesky imps were. If you run quickly from the blue
room, across the ooze and into the imps' chamber you should
see the elevator on the left side. There is just enough time
to hop onto it before it rises.

[quote name='Jedi1979']From a Doom Shareware secrets Help file found at http://www.gamers.org/dhs/chtssplr/dmshrwr.html

to hop onto it before it rises.[/quote]

Nice! I would have never guessed to go back. Thanks.

i wish i could change the controls...i hate having sprint as a trigger button...when i originally played on the pc i had a 4 button controller and it was perfect

otherwise i am throughly enjoying the game...some of the multiplayer is annoying especially when i had 40 kills and then it just lags out

[quote name='Jedi1979']i wish i could change the controls...i hate having sprint as a trigger button...when i originally played on the pc i had a 4 button controller and it was perfect

otherwise i am throughly enjoying the game...some of the multiplayer is annoying especially when i had 40 kills and then it just lags out[/quote]

Where do you check how many kills you have in DM. I played one game and it seemed endless with no scoring. I was kicking ass but I got tired that there was no score, no timer so I dropped out after 30min.

[quote name='Jedi1979']From a Doom Shareware secrets Help file found at http://www.gamers.org/dhs/chtssplr/dmshrwr.html

to hop onto it before it rises.[/quote]
I did all that and collect all items I can find but still end up only getting 97%.

[quote name='Jedi1979']did you hit the switch at the beginning of the level near the green armor?[/quote]

That opens the door right near where you first spawn? Yep.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Can anyone help me find all the secret rooms in the 1st level? I'm trying to get the "Hoarder" achievement to get it I need to find all the items in the level. I'm missing something. I know there's a secret door to the right of the level, that's the only one I've found, I've gone through the visible areas, killed 100% of the enemies, grabbed all items but I'm still short from 100%. Thanks in advance.[/quote]I know this was already answered, but just check out GameFAQs. I'm sure there are dozens of FAQs, and probably even maps.

[quote name='Trakan']That opens the door right near where you first spawn? Yep.[/quote]

hm...i cant think of what you missed then...especially if you got the 3 secrets then it should be it

[quote name='Trakan']I did all that and collect all items I can find but still end up only getting 97%.[/QUOTE]

Make certain you get all the armor and health bonuses around the perimeter of the first room (one that is commonly missed is a bonus directly to your right as you enter the level, near the window). Something else I miss every once in a while are the four shotgun shells at the end of the ooze on the righthand side, right before the secret passageway. If you're playing on Ultra-Violence or lower, you might consider saving right before you leave the level, and if you end up with less than 100% collected, head back to find anything you may have missed. I'm pretty sure you must at least touch all items you cannot pick up (health packs when you're at full health, ammo when you can't carry any more of that ammo type) for them to count towards your total, as well.

I really need to stop playing, but this is the first time in my history as a gamer that #1 spots on the leaderboard are remotely accessible to me. While I still can't take it on E1M1, being number 1 anywhere, even for a second, is damn exciting.

[quote name='Jedi1979']did you hit the switch at the beginning of the level near the green armor?[/QUOTE]

It's a useful shortcut, but switches don't count towards items collected. I didn't realize this at first.

I downloaded this the minute i saw it up there. I am really enjoying this game. I hope they think of dropping more old-school FPS like Doom II, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior. :D

[quote name='Sporadic']Dear god (John Carmack),

Please please please port all of the Commander Keens to XBLA. It would be the best thing ever.

Signed a loyal iD fan,
Sporaidc[/QUOTE]

OMG.
*furiously masturbates*

I've never had that "deathmatch never ending" problem. The most you can set frags to is 25, anyway, so shouldn't 25 frags (at most) end the match?

[quote name='Rage Goblin']I've never had that "deathmatch never ending" problem. The most you can set frags to is 25, anyway, so shouldn't 25 frags (at most) end the match?[/quote]Out of curiousity, how long does a 25 frag deathmatch last on the 360? Just wanting to see how it compares to the PC.

It depends. A lot of people don't seem to understand that most of the original game's maps aren't built for deathmatch - so you get games in gigantic levels with hardly any weapons.

But, on a small map with four players, I'd say probably 5 minutes or so.

I've noticed a lot of players are, well, really bad at this game, though. I mean, don't people know how to circle strafe and such? I ran into someone today that was really good, though. It was crazy fun. =D

[quote name='Rage Goblin']It depends. A lot of people don't seem to understand that most of the original game's maps aren't built for deathmatch - so you get games in gigantic levels with hardly any weapons.

But, on a small map with four players, I'd say probably 5 minutes or so.

I've noticed a lot of players are, well, really bad at this game, though. I mean, don't people know how to circle strafe and such? I ran into someone today that was really good, though. It was crazy fun. =D[/QUOTE]

there's such thing as being good at doom deathmatches? don't your shots automatically hit whatevers on the screen?

Ok on level 1 I tried to get the 100% in items. I am coming up with 97%. How can this be? LOL I get 100% kills, 100% secrets and 97% items!!

GRRR

[quote name='Apossum'] don't your shots automatically hit whatevers on the screen?[/quote]

uh, no you still have to aim towards the person and be close enough...and you can be good or bad...when i used to play a long time ago i could beat all of my friends except one which i would give a challenge to and only won a few times against on certain levels

[quote name='Apossum']there's such thing as being good at doom deathmatches? don't your shots automatically hit whatevers on the screen?[/quote]No. Distance is extremely important, as well as tracking a target. No sticky aiming like Halo.

Am i the only person who has doom lock up everything i beat the end of episode one? or one time i died, and i hit start to reload my save state, and it froze.

is other peoples doom buggy like this as well?

[quote name='dios']Am i the only person who has doom lock up everything i beat the end of episode one? or one time i died, and i hit start to reload my save state, and it froze.

is other peoples doom buggy like this as well?[/QUOTE]

I've had the game freeze once when accessing the leaderboards. The game hesitated for a couple of seconds before displaying the text screen at the end of episode one, but it didn't freeze there.

[quote name='Z-Saber']No. Distance is extremely important, as well as tracking a target. No sticky aiming like Halo.[/quote]

Quoted for truth.

Regarding freezes... everytime I got an achievement, I thought the game was freezing. But I don't think it has ever actually froze up on me.

[quote name='lilboo']Ok on level 1 I tried to get the 100% in items. I am coming up with 97%. How can this be? LOL I get 100% kills, 100% secrets and 97% items!!

GRRR[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem. The thing is that you have to get all of the Medipacks as well. If your health is already at 100% you won't pick them up. Go jump in the green acid pool to lose some health and then grab the necessary medipacks that you need to get 100% items.

Doom 2 is absolutely the better game. Here's hoping that comes to Live as well.

What I'd really like is for them to release some multiplayer content, like 8 player deathmatching and some custom maps.

Honestly, it's been a long time since I've played through Doom 2 all the way. The original, on the other hand, I play completely about annually.

It could be because the level design is better, but I don't remember Doom2's enough to say for sure.

It's mostly the super-shotgun that makes Doom2 my game. Two skilled players in tight quarters dueling with super-shotguns is ridiculously intense. ^_^

[quote name='Rage Goblin']Honestly, it's been a long time since I've played through Doom 2 all the way. The original, on the other hand, I play completely about annually.

It could be because the level design is better, but I don't remember Doom2's enough to say for sure.

It's mostly the super-shotgun that makes Doom2 my game. Two skilled players in tight quarters dueling with super-shotguns is ridiculously intense. ^_^[/quote]We think remarkably alike. Do you play online on the PC at all?

[quote name='Z-Saber']We think remarkably alike. Do you play online on the PC at all?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't own a PC, or I'd definitely up for a game with you. (I use my mobile for all my web surfing and email... it works well enough, since it has a QWERTY keyboard.)

It's probably the fact that I don't have a computer that makes me so overwhelmingly enthused about Doom on Live Arcade. I haven't played Doom online in many many years, so that was $10 I was willing to spend without hesitation. I'll probably do the same if games like Duke 3D or Quake come to Live as well.

I wish they'd patch Quake 2 for 360 to have Live play. I'd even pay for it.

[quote name='jasonlives13']I had the same problem. The thing is that you have to get all of the Medipacks as well. If your health is already at 100% you won't pick them up. Go jump in the green acid pool to lose some health and then grab the necessary medipacks that you need to get 100% items.[/QUOTE]
Same thing for the ammo the dudes drop. Make sure you pick it up and don't have the max ammount of ammo already.

[quote name='zewone']Same thing for the ammo the dudes drop. Make sure you pick it up and don't have the max ammount of ammo already.[/quote]I'm gonna call BS on that.

If I remember from my Doom modding/level making days the ammo that enemies drop does not cout towards the level total, otherwise some later levels (the secret level in episode one, for example) could not be finished with 100%. Also you do not need to be at less than 100% on the health for the game to count health pickups. I got 100% on E1M1 and I was at 100% or over most of the time. You just have to walk over the item as if to pick it up. The game registers that you picked it up when it looks at your healt to see if you can use it.

Ahhh, the old days of DHacked...

[quote name='peteloaf']If I remember from my Doom modding/level making days the ammo that enemies drop does not cout towards the level total, otherwise some later levels (the secret level in episode one, for example) could not be finished with 100%. Also you do not need to be at less than 100% on the health for the game to count health pickups. I got 100% on E1M1 and I was at 100% or over most of the time. You just have to walk over the item as if to pick it up. The game registers that you picked it up when it looks at your healt to see if you can use it.
[/QUOTE]

QFT.

[quote name='jasonlives13']I had the same problem. The thing is that you have to get all of the Medipacks as well. If your health is already at 100% you won't pick them up. Go jump in the green acid pool to lose some health and then grab the necessary medipacks that you need to get 100% items.[/QUOTE]
Not true. I just walk over everything, whether I need it or not, and I've gotten the Achievement. A previous post mentions ammo/health packs don't count, but I'll still continue doing it my way.

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but anyone wanna play some deathmatch games?

I played this today and tried to get in a game, only 1 other guy on.

Want to play a game or 2 with some CAGs.. anyone down?

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Sorry for bumping an old topic, but anyone wanna play some deathmatch games?

I played this today and tried to get in a game, only 1 other guy on.

Want to play a game or 2 with some CAGs.. anyone down?[/quote]Count me in. :cool:

bread's done
Back