XBLA Hasbro Family Game Night - Scrabble, Battleship + 2 Others 3/18 @ 800pts each

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
After it was first rumored nearly a year ago (along with Monopoly), EA has announced that Scrabble is indeed heading to Xbox Live Arcade. The company also announced the creation of a brand new Hasbro Family Game Night "channel" in Xbox Live Arcade. The channel will serve as a "digital game closet," according to EA Hasbro general manager Chip Lange, where players can quickly access various Hasbro games without leaving the channel. Players will be able to "earn virtual trophies, furniture and themes" to decorate their closets by playing Hasbro games. In addition to Scrabble, other titles planned for the service include Sorry!, Sliders, Battleship, Connect Four, Boggle and Yahtzee.

The Hasbro Family Game Night channel is set to debut this spring, though no specific dates have been given for any of the individual game releases. Oh, one more thing: No Monopoly mentioned, folks. Sorry.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2009/01/06/scrabble-is-xbla-bound-hasbro-channel-coming-soon/

Sounds good already and with the possibility of getting more: Trivial Pursuit, Clue, Risk, Cranium, Guess Who, Game of Life, Candy Land...jk...etc. it could be very successful.

What the hell is Sliders?

I'd probably buy Scrabble, and maybe Boggle. The others, not so much. Your listing Clue and Risk... I'd be in on those, too, if they ever happened.

This sounds pretty cool, I'd probably pick up most of them. I also have no clue what the hell Sliders is.

EDIT: I guess Sliders is the same thing is Sorry? I'm not sure but it really sounds like a game about diarrhea

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion towards purchasing these games is dependent on feature full-party/eight-player support. If it's just four-person multiplayer, I will probably pass.

*Looks at posters*

Is this the wrestling thread?

This sounds like what games.com has/had. I love Scrabble and Sorry!, so playing on my Xbox would be fun. Battleship is okay, too.

Sorry! Sliders

Virtual edition could work, but a tabletop version? It's already so easy to lose Sorry! pieces.

[quote name='Matt Young']Virtual edition could work, but a tabletop version? It's already so easy to lose Sorry! pieces.[/QUOTE]

So it looks like SORRY and shuffleboard had a bastard child. Might be entertaining.

I'm wondering, what's going to be the difference between a game channel and just releasing the games on XBLA? Is there a price discount (pay for the channel as opposed to the games)? Or is it just a convenient grouping?

Guys... it looks like you're purchasing the "channel" and not the individual games.

So basically once you get the channel, you'll be able to play all the games.

I'm sold on Scrabble alone, but Battleship isn't the same without the mess of pegs always ending up in the couch cushions.

If we get all the games for a one time fee that would be great.

As others have said, this has the potential to be awesome, but we're going to need good multiplayer support (I would hope that is a given) and it's going to need to be cheap. If Uno is 400 points, there is no reason for any of these to be more than that.

I would pay up to 1200 points for the channel with all these games. Continued support would be nice much like UNO gets new decks. Im sure they could come up with stuff

hmm after the interview with IGN, my interest has been diminished a bit. Looks like we will be paying for each and every game (which we should have figured would be in the first case, this is EA and Hasbro for heaven's sake)

IGN: The press release announcing these games mentions a dedicated "channel" on the Xbox Live Arcade for the Hasbro/EA games. How exactly will that work? Will it be more than a themed menu?

Kyle Murray: One of the features of Hasbro Family Game Night on XBLA, that is totally unique for the platform, is that you will be able to access all of your purchased Hasbro games from within one consistent environment.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/942/942578p1.html?RSSwhen2009-01-07_154100&RSSid=942578

And with him saying that they will be priced accordingly to the XBLA structure, it makes me not want this. This shit is going to end up being at least the cost of a full priced retail game

[quote name='fart_bubble']hmm after the interview with IGN, my interest has been diminished a bit. Looks like we will be paying for each and every game (which we should have figured would be in the first case, this is EA and Hasbro for heaven's sake)

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/942/942578p1.html?RSSwhen2009-01-07_154100&RSSid=942578

And with him saying that they will be priced accordingly to the XBLA structure, it makes me not want this. This shit is going to end up being at least the cost of a full priced retail game[/quote]

If that's the case, I wouldn't buy any of them. I'd buy Clue for 400 points but that's it. I'd be more inclined to pay 1200-1600 points for the whole channel.

At 400 points a pop I'd at least pick up a good number of these but if they're gonna be 800 each, then unless no.

What the shit?! You could walk into Target and buy the real thing for those prices. Except Scrabble, I think that costs more. But you can play all this crap online for free.

Yeah, those are trash. I will happily pay $10 each for Monopoly and RISK as long as they have online and local multiplayer, custom rules options, and works quickly, though. I fucking love both of those games.

Man thats brutal. I wouldn't pay more than 200 points for any of these. Scrabble online? No thanks. I'd much sooner play in person, lol. Plus the game would take forever online since you can't yell and punch the person beside you to just hurry up and put a "T" beside an "A" so the game can get going.

Darn :( I was hoping to get these games, but at 800 points? Not a chance in hell. I'd spend 400 points each at most, but I'd prefer a bundle for 1200-1600.

They just lost MANY customers due to this pricing. I don't mind paying per game, but Why the fuck is a game like connect 4 800pts?

This will get ugly and the price will have to be lowered.

I could see paying 800 for games like Monopoly and even Scrabble, but connect 4?!

I hate the pricing, but I don't know if I can resist the pull of XBLA Scrabble and Battleship. Trialed them both this morning and it seemed pretty enjoyable.

Really wish they would have just priced it higher and given us everything, even if it went beyond the normal 1200 barrier...or at LEAST give us some kind of discount if we buy all of them in a package deal, similar to the Rock Band packs. I could tolerate paying a normally exorbitant 1600-2000 points if they gave us every game in the set.

It's weird, the frond-end of this game is really high production value with a fancy "den" to play in and multiple free themes to the room, but then when you go to play the game, it's very bare bones and pretty unattractive. It's sort of backwards from what I was expecting. I'll probably still get Scrabble and Yatzee, but the others? Forget it.

Anyone try the Connect Four demo? it lasts about 30 seconds.

And apparently, you can't play Scrabble against AI, which has been a feature of every PC version of the game ever made. So basically, the ipod version is more advanced than the 800 point 360 version of the game. Very lame indeed.

Yeah I was shocked when my Connect 4 demo ended after I placed like 8 pieces. I know what Connect 4 is, let me see more of the digital game and why I should spend $10 on it then a minute long version.

I also love how each trial is only a 204 KB file, which means it's an unlock key and you've already downloaded the game with the main Hasbro Family Game Night file. What a waste. I'll wait for some bundling pricing to come out or for it to be a deal of the week eventually where maybe I can get one of them for half price.

If they release a compilation pack at retail I may pick them up then, but (as noted repeatedly in this thread) the current price point is absurd.

I think they're banking on the casual player market that made Uno so popular, but I guess we'll have to see if that'll actually work.

I'm having a blast with yahtzee and scrabble! Only thing that sucks is that Scrabble doesn't have an AI to play against. Good thing I'll mainly be playing my girlfriend ;)

Absolutely obscene. CONNECT FOUR (or any of these games) by itself costs as much as the complete game of PEGGLE! Think I'll stick with the latter thank you very much :)

It's like $20 for all four of those on the DS, and you can play that anywhere. No chance I'll spend $10 on one.

The Game Night front end is basically a "free" game, hence, it counts as a full game on your gamercard, when you play it.

The Actual games are all seen as Downloadable Content for the core game.

This is the only reason it appears on your gamercard, because the actual game is seen as a fully unlocked game.

It's a very unique, awkward situation.

That said, I like the idea here (A fancy front end for a collection of games), but this seems horribly conceived. How can you make something like this without considering the end-cost of all together? I understand when a Xbox 360 arcade game is somewhat more expensive then a PS2 game, easily. But why should this end up being more expensive than normal 360 games?

I might have seriously wanted this as a collection at 1600 points... and it woulda made me explore board games I never even cared about before. But with all the other wonderful titles coming out over the "Days of Arcade" promotion, this just doesn't work at all.

[quote name='SAB-CA']The Game Night front end is basically a "free" game, hence, it counts as a full game on your gamercard, when you play it.

This is the only reason it appears on your gamercard, because the actual game is seen as a fully unlocked game.

It's a very unique, awkward situation.

That said, I like the idea here (A fancy front end for a collection of games), but this seems horribly conceived. How can you make something like this without considering the end-cost of all together? I understand when a Xbox 360 arcade game is somewhat more expensive then a PS2 game, easily. But why should this end up being more expensive than normal 360 games?

I might have seriously wanted this as a collection at 1600 points... and it woulda made me explore board games I never even cared about before. But with all the other wonderful titles coming out over the "Days of Arcade" promotion, this just doesn't work at all.[/quote]

If it was like $5 each, they might have a good argument here, but it's $10 per. I think they saw the Wii sales and were like 'nom nom, money, nom', but that's all 7 games for $40 and the power of WAGGLE! This is $30 more for an inferior product (yes, inferior to the Wii version).

[quote name='SAB-CA']The Game Night front end is basically a "free" game, hence, it counts as a full game on your gamercard, when you play it.

It's a very unique, awkward situation.[/QUOTE]

So we won't be seeing sales numbers on 360voice.com today. Everyone who tried the demo will show as purchasing the game.

I bought Scrabble and think it's worth 800 points for me to play with and teach my daughter the game. But 800 points for Connect Four? C'mon get real. I wish this was priced differently. Still might get Yatzee, though.

BTW: What's Uno Rush? Is it significantly different from regular Uno? I bet it'll cost twice as much regardless.

bread's done
Back