[XBLA] - Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - 1200 Points - Out Now!

Ichigo1993

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-logo.jpg

Release Date:
August 18th, 2010
Price: 1200 Points ($15.00)
Game Size: 2.02 GB

Reviews:

Metacritic Score 89

IGN 8.5/10
1UP A-
Eurogamer 9/10
Game Informer 9/10

Debut Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHc4t5eIwss

Gameplay Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PXZviTdOZY

IGN Video Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDMIGcXobxE

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be the best of the Summer of Arcade games, no doubt. im still mad about them witholding online co-op because of the PS3 and PC versions, but still looking forward to it.

They withheld online coop because of the pS3 and PC versions? Why? Or do you mean because they had to develop those, they didn't have time to fit it in? I hope the game plays well single player. My kids are probably too young for it, and I have my doubts any of my friends will get it. It does look fun, though.

I don't think I'll get the XBLA version then. I'd like to play the game co-op, but since I have no one to play locally with, waiting a month for it to come online on 360 will mean no one is playing it then. It kinda defeats the point of buying it, no matter how good it may be.

[quote name='crunchewy']They withheld online coop because of the pS3 and PC versions? Why? Or do you mean because they had to develop those, they didn't have time to fit it in? I hope the game plays well single player. My kids are probably too young for it, and I have my doubts any of my friends will get it. It does look fun, though.[/QUOTE]

Well, at lot of the fans threw a hissy fit over the game being released early for Xbox, so then comes the news that they so conveniently need to delay the online co-op until the day the PS3 and PC versions are released. giant load of bull....

although today they announced that they're giving out free DLC to Xbox 360 players for the first month so thats good.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/first-lara-croft-dlc-pack-free-for-first-30-days-on-xbox-360/

Downloading the trial now.

EDIT: Just finished playing the trial, took me around 20 minutes. Thought it controlled fairy well and was fun overall. Debating whether or not to purchase this, since I feel that it will be amazing with a co-op partner.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I've heard the game can be completed in about 5 hours, forgetting all the collectibles...[/QUOTE]

Isn't the co-op play and the single player different enough to make it worth going through twice? That's how the IGN review made it seem. 5 hours is good enough for me as far as a LIVE Arcade game. And if we get the 1st DLC pack for free, that makes it more worthwhile.

I picked up the game this morning. I'll probably start playing it tonight.

When the online coop patch comes out, I'll probably play it again.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I've heard the game can be completed in about 5 hours, forgetting all the collectibles...[/QUOTE]

So can most 60.00 games.

Bought this this morning. It's my "free" game since I bought the 4 other summer of arcade games. I bought Tomb Raider Underworld for $9.99 and thought that was fairly boring, hopefully this is much better.

[quote name='wakawakawa']Bought this this morning. It's my "free" game since I bought the 4 other summer of arcade games. I bought Tomb Raider Underworld for $9.99 and thought that was fairly boring, hopefully this is much better.[/QUOTE]

Technically your free game is whatever you spend the rebate points on.

[quote name='daphatty']So they pulled Online Coop.[/QUOTE]
I thought that the 360 was getting Online Coop when the PS3 & PC Versions launched?

[quote name='xpag406']I thought that the 360 was getting Online Coop when the PS3 & PC Versions launched?[/QUOTE]

It is.

Also, to anyone who's almost finished:
Holy shit. I'm on the penultimate level where you have to kill the big dudes with the keys and I'm just getting raped. Been stuck on this for like 20 minutes. Helppppp!

2gb file? GOOD LORD, you think for that size of a file they could fit online co-op in at launch...its like fable 2s launch, total fail...5 hrs to beat then you are done and i will forget about it when the dlc comes out in a month. So glad i didn't waste 1200 points on any of these overpriced pieces of junk they tried to make seem so great they offered a 1200 points back promotion to justify overcharging.

This game is great. My girlfriend and I sat down to play and immediately hopped in and started killing demons, solving obstacle course style puzzles, and trying not to drop each other off into spike pits. It has plenty of side missions and extra side objectives that net you unlockables and power-ups. Graphics are great. Damn good explosions! But since its isometric I wish I was sitting closer to the TV than sprawled back on the bed. Achievements are pretty easy too.

I guess I could care less if it had online coop at launch or not. We're having fun.

The game is amazing. For those complaining about the length, I've spent well over 5 hours in the game already and am only in the forth area. I've played both single and local co-op and the levels do differ, it's enough of a change sometimes that you need to re-think puzzles and strategy. Also there are a number of skill tasks like completing a certain task, finishing a level in a certain time or getting a high score. Plus there are treasues, upgrades, and weapons in each stage - so you will need to replay most levels to collect everything. I guess if you rush through the game sure you can finish it in 5 to 6 hours. If you do all the challegens, collect everything do co- op and single player run through your probably looking at well over 20 hours depending on your skill level. Plus you get free DLC.

But what is the free DLC? If it's not an extra level or two, then it's not worth saying it's a make up to 360 owners for no online co-op since there will be almost no online community for the game at that time.

Just finished the single-player. Pretty freaking awesome. It took me 5:15 to beat it and I got stuck on a couple parts for awhile. Probably won't play it again until they patch in online co-op though.

Pure genius! I only wish that this was a full retail game with more content. I'll definitely be playing this over and over again until I complete all the challenges and collect all the goodies, get all the achievements and I'll be buying any DLC that comes out for this game.

[quote name='KingBroly']But what is the free DLC? If it's not an extra level or two, then it's not worth saying it's a make up to 360 owners for no online co-op since there will be almost no online community for the game at that time.[/QUOTE]

Some signs are pointing toward skins/characters as the free/first DLC. Disappointing, but free is free.

re: no one playing when co-op goes live online, think of it this way:

Everyone who has it but didn't play local co-op will be going online at the same time when it patches. This is actually an added bonus, it means most of the people you match with will already know the layout/mechanics of the game, so you'll enjoy playing it with someone else instead of an annoying noob experience.

This will be my first big (non-sale) XBLA purchase. I was sold from the point when I chucked a spear at the baddie and it stayed visibly stuck in him as he kept advancing. Small details like this are always a good indicator of quality/thought put into a game.

A spear staying stick in them is cool, agreed, but an indication that thought was put into it? How much thought is required to realize that a spear should stay stuck in them? :)

I can't wait to try out the demo, but wont be able to get to it for at least a week. :(

^^^

Your relic power is not something you activate. You get different relics throughout the game that enhance different aspects of your weapon.

I believe the first relic enhances your weapon power so if your meter is full your weapon will just be more powerful until your are struck by an enemy (I believe your bullet spray turns blue so you know the Relic has been activated) and then you lose the power as your meter is reset. To build your meter up you just have to keep killing enemies without getting hit.

Hopefully I explained that well enough, I was a little confused at first as well.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Pure genius! I only wish that this was a full retail game with more content. I'll definitely be playing this over and over again until I complete all the challenges and collect all the goodies, get all the achievements and I'll be buying any DLC that comes out for this game.[/QUOTE]

Quick! Change your signature! Update your avatar! My god, man, you're running out of time!!!

Played it earlier on local co-op.. very, very fun game, I think I will be picking it up soon.

[quote name='FrankySox']^^^

Your relic power is not something you activate. You get different relics throughout the game that enhance different aspects of your weapon.

I believe the first relic enhances your weapon power so if your meter is full your weapon will just be more powerful until your are struck by an enemy (I believe your bullet spray turns blue so you know the Relic has been activated) and then you lose the power as your meter is reset. To build your meter up you just have to keep killing enemies without getting hit.

Hopefully I explained that well enough, I was a little confused at first as well.[/QUOTE]

Right, I figured that after the Spider Tomb haha, thanks though. This game reminds me of game I played on PC a while ago pre-loaded when our family bought a Dell PC. Don't remember the title but upgrades and shooting was involved. ;)

Still have the last two levels left but this is easily the best game of SOA and might even be in my top 5 for the year so far. Great puzzles, action, graphics and replay value. I'm very surprised I'm liking it so much since I thought for sure it would be horrible in single player...glad I was wrong.

The game may be good, but I do not care for how the coop was handled. It may sound silly, but it may end up that I will be passing on the game as a result. I was motivated to pick it up and play with some friends. I guess we will see if we still are in a month or so, or if we have moved on.

[quote name='Scorch']Quick! Change your signature! Update your avatar! My god, man, you're running out of time!!![/QUOTE]

Shit is getting old Scorch...come to think of it, it was never funny to begin with.

Yeah, and wait until you buy it...the demo doesn't download the full game, so if/when you buy the game it will take a while longer. 2.2GB's...but well worth it!

I thought the single player demo was pretty good. My girlfriend and I are going to try out the co-op later today to see how well it works. $15 is pretty steep... maybe it will be good for more than one play through.

A word of advice. If you haven't purchased this game by the time online coop goes live then you should wait for the reviews post online co-op release. Anyone here get burned by Castle Crashers?

[quote name='daphatty']A word of advice. If you haven't purchased this game by the time online coop goes live then you should wait for the reviews post online coop-op release. Anyone here get burned by Castle Crashers?[/QUOTE]

What happened with Castle Crashers?

[quote name='GuardianE']What happened with Castle Crashers?[/QUOTE]

Castle Crasher's online co-op was completely unplayable at launch. It took Behemoth nine months to release a patch that did very little to fix the problem.

Just wondering, since I'm running through this solo atm, are there more enemies when you're playing with another person in co-op?

Also it was quite funny when Lara screams Run during the Swamp level. Like who's she telling that to, me?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah, and wait until you buy it...the demo doesn't download the full game, so if/when you buy the game it will take a while longer. 2.2GB's...but well worth it![/QUOTE]

I downloaded the trial first and when I unlocked the full game, it only took the usual few seconds to complete.

[quote name='Killbomb']I downloaded the trial first and when I unlocked the full game, it only took the usual few seconds to complete.[/QUOTE]

I didn't play the demo, I just blind bought it but I had thought I queued and downloaded the demo from xbox.com...guess it must have not downloaded the demo.

I know, it was my mistake. I had thought I queued up the demo and when I got home I turned on my X360 thinking it was downloading the demo, about 30min later I came back and bought it without verifying that the demo was there. Just forget what I said ;)

bread's done
Back