XBLA--LIMBO- Out now!

thekeybladewars

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
SPOILER ALERT! There are dummies in this thread. Proceed with caution!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
PLAYDEAD, an independent game developing studio from Denmark, will be releasing this stylish, 2D puzzle-platforming adventure game on XBLA this summer. The story is about a boy who is on a quest through this obscure world in attempt find his lost sister.

This is PLAYDEAD's first game ever and has apparently been nominated for Art and Technical Excellence at the Independent Games Festival Awards.

I've looked around quite a bit and the exact release date is still unknown (as well as the price), but you can keep track on

More news at their official site.

Source info: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22207/Limbo-Announced-for-XBLA/

----------------------------------------------------

Game art:

screenshot07-800x450.jpg

screenshot02-800x450.jpg

screenshot05-800x450.jpg

Teaser trailer:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/3363/

Gameplay and interview with producer, Mads Wibroe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRtXwqFig8A

-----------------------------------------------------

You can vote for this game to appear on Game Trailers TV later this month if you are interested in seeing more of it!

From (http://www.indiegames.com/blog/)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's pretty fantastic looking. If it's reasonably priced, would definitely be worth a look for the art style alone.

[quote name='bvharris']Wow, that's pretty fantastic looking. If it's reasonably priced, would definitely be worth a look for the art style alone.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping it will be reasonably priced, but my best guess is that it will be 1200 points, just like Braid was. :eek:\ But I don't know. I keep relating Braid to Limbo because they were both created by independent developers and they have the same concept.

[quote name='thekeybladewars']I'm hoping it will be reasonably priced, but my best guess is that it will be 1200 points, just like Braid was. :eek:\ But I don't know. I keep relating Braid to Limbo because they were both created by independent developers and they have the same concept.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right, since it looks to be quite polished and will probably be pretty hyped.

[quote name='ninja dog']Looks awesome. was worried it was an actual game about doing the limbo.[/QUOTE]

You mean natal limbo? I'm sure that's coming soon

[quote name='ninja dog']Looks awesome. was worried it was an actual game about doing the limbo.[/QUOTE]

Yea so did I. I thought no one would be able to pull that off

Bumping for reviews. The game got a 9 from IGN. Looking very good, I must say. I love trippy, thought provoking games. I just hope the game isn't as hard as Braid was/is.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1106885p1.html

I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying all the SoA games this year. I ended up buying 3 of the 5 from last year later on, and I want the other 2. All 5 games this year look great, and I'll get 1200 points back.

I'm definitely getting this. Even at $15 (which seems expensive for a game like this) I think it will be worth it.

Got a code for this earlier and managed to beat it tonight. It's a really cool game that took me about four or five hours to beat it. I'd definitely recommend trying out the demo first if you're on the fence about it.

The achievements seem like they'll be hard to get without doing research first since I got two early on and didn't get anything else until the end, so I'd suggest playing through just to beat it and then go back for achievements. The one for beating it in one session with less than five deaths is probably the hardest, as I probably died close to 100 times either intentionally or while trying to figure out puzzles.

There are also two avatar awards (a Limbo shirt and a prop). I wish these developers could come up with a more interesting shirt design than putting the logo/name on a plain shirt.

I want this but probably will wait for the sale they had on last year's games a few weeks ago to pick this and a couple of others up.

[quote name='FrankySox']ooooh, thanks I'll try that

EDIT: Thanks for the link, downloading now. Only 117 MB is pretty small though.[/QUOTE]

Checkout the link after I edited it, lists all the available downloads plus the trial.

EDIT: Played through the trial, didn't take me very long. I'm thoroughly enjoying the artstyle and the absence of any music with the film grain gives off an amazing feeling. I also had a lot of "oh shit" moments where I died multiple times, making my heart jump.

I'll decide later on today if I'll drop the points on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played the demo and... man. This minimalist approach works, for sure. Now I really want to buy the game.

Also, the trial downloaded in a couple minutes. Nice surprise.

So, I'm almost through it. Put about 2 1/2 hours into it and it looks like it'll take around 3 hours or so to finish. My impressions are so-so as of now. I'd hesitate to recommend this at the $15 price point. The puzzles seem about right on the difficulty scale leaning more towards the easy side. There hasn't been a point in which I grew frustrated with the puzzles where I felt I wouldn't be able to solve them.

The art style is amazing. I didn't like it at first but it really grew on me. The problem I'm having with the game is it's just not pulling me in and it feels a little to simple. In my opinion this game can't hold a candle to Braid the only other puzzle platformer on XBLA I can think of at the moment, which is one of my favorite games on XBLA if not my favorite.

Don't get me wrong this game isn't bad I just don't agree with the high reviews the game has gotten so far. I'd give it some where around a 7.5/10 from the time I've put into it. I had super high expectations coming into the game so that could be part of my problem.

IGN or one of the reviews I read mentioned awards for replaying the game. If this is the case my opinion may change as replay value would definitely help add value to a game that seems too short and simple for a $15 tag.

Interested to see other CAGs opinions on the game.

Love the style, but after putting about an hour into it, I'm not sure I'd recommend it at the current price point. I think a price of $10 or tops $12.00 would've been better for the title.

A scrolling narrative at the beginning (or some other relevant intro) of the title would've added some purpose, and perhaps draw you in a bit more. As it stands, you die so often that after a while (without a reminder of your purpose), you tend to not care as much to keep going.

Anyhow, I'll probably buy at least 2 other summer titles, so getting 400 pts. back will at least feel good.

Played about an hour. It's very subtle, sometimes brutal, and seems to be a solid game. A lot of the achievements seem to be centered around finding secret locations, so that adds something to the replay.

If someone doesn't have a lot of games to play then it's probably not a good buy, but I have a million games to play through so the short play time is fine for me.

I tried the demo, and
am I supposed to get past the Spider in the demo? I see the bear trap but I can't figure out how to get it. I tried going back to the floating log, but I couldn't make it so I just turned it off.

That's not a spoiler, King Broly. If someone answers the question, you could consider their response a spoiler though.

Broly, that part got me killed a few times.
I tried letting it hit itself, as in when the leg would pop out from the tree horizontally, but that didn't work. It turns out that, if you move and let the spider stab the ground 2-3 times, the bear trap falls.
You know what to do after that.

[quote name='eastx']That's not a spoiler, King Broly. If someone answers the question, you could consider their response a spoiler though.[/QUOTE]

You know how people get about spoilers. Don't question them.

I haven't tried the demo, but I'm 99% sure I'll buy this tonight or sometime this week.

I know $15 is high for what I've read is a pretty short game, but I'm going to vote with my wallet to try to get more games like this made. I like the style, from what I've seen.

Its a good game but price is a little steep. Sometimes the lack of music or story does hinder it. Aside from the summary, I really don't know what or why the boy is doing anything. I finally got some music and was freaked thinking something big was happening.
Art Style is cool but maybe too dark...I accidentally ran into bear traps I didn't see. I do love the puzzles though, they actually made me think. If you dont like the demo, get deathspank instead. Personally I'm waiting for Castlevania.

Hmm I didn't seem to mind the price and I'll def support, donate, some money to the indie developers of Playdead. Man the first time I died, Oo and then of course they have to have a scary freakin' spider!

I'm stuck on the puzzle with the two raising slabs of stone. Help?>Is the cart of some importance here, I'm guessing yes but can't figure out why it's needed.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Hmm I didn't seem to mind the price and I'll def support, donate, some money to the indie developers of Playdead. Man the first time I died, Oo and then of course they have to have a scary freakin' spider!

I'm stuck on the puzzle with the two raising slabs of stone. Help?>Is the cart of some importance here, I'm guessing yes but can't figure out why it's needed.[/QUOTE]
Move the cart over next to the opening with the saw blades, go up and pull the rope down as far as it can go without going down with it, quickly head back down and get on the cart, grab the rope and swing over to the other rope so both blocks are up high enough to get through before they can fall back down.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Move the cart over next to the opening with the saw blades, go up and pull the rope down as far as it can go without going down with it, quickly head back down and get on the cart, grab the rope and swing over to the other rope so both blocks are up high enough to get through before they can fall back down.
[/QUOTE]

Ohhh of course, thanks I was making it harder than it was.

So that's how you use the cart. It took me like 10 minutes to do that one, and managed to do it without the cart. I thought it was a red herring of sorts.

I had to buy this game, regardless of price. Too bad I'm stuck at work and only about twenty percent deep before I left.

Bought it, just started playing it.

Damn, having a lot of those "oh fuck/oh shit" moments where my heart skips a beat.

All I can think is how I'll die next.

Just had 2 parts of the game where I smiled when I got annihilated. First was when there's 2 bear traps that are on ropes that swing in opposite directions when I stepped past the trigger point.

First try: First bear trap killed me. Went to find the trigger point.
Second try: Tried to outrun the second bear trap, only to have it catch me.
Third try: Tried to outrun the second bear trap again and try to jump at the last second, only to find out that the bear trap comes off the rope and lands right under me. I literally said "you have got to be fucking kidding me" aloud.

Another part was where there are big presses that collapse down when you step on the trigger. First one, I quickly understand that the raised part is the "safe zone," then I try the same technique only to find out that the safe zone is the "DO NOT LAND" zone.

[quote name='Ch33pSh33p']DIYGamer has a useful guide if you're stuck, used it on the trial lol.
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately used this to get the achievements, since the puzzles took most of my brain power tonight.
Anyways just finished and got all but one achievement. You know which one that is! As good as it was I hated the end.
It ended Just like it Started you just kinda stand there, still no real story but at least you (may have) found your sister. Why may have? It just looked like another black spot to me.
At least I now have my little limbo dog thing...although I was hoping for the spider.

bread's done
Back