XBLA Limit Upped To 250 MB!

CogOfWar

CAG Veteran
1UP is reporting that the previous 50 MB limit for Xbox Live Arcade downloadable games is no more. This shouldn't come as too big of a surprise, as the 97 MB file size for Konami's Castlevania Symphony of the Night for XBLA has been widely publicized.

According to exclusive fetishist and 1UP reporter Luke Smith, the new cap will be set at 250 MB and "with Microsoft's approval, that size can be expanded to 450 MB." Good news for fans of larger file downloads, bad news for Core owners saddled with 64 MB memory units.

Or is it? Smith further speculates that MS will soon release a half-gigabyte memory unit to accomodate the new larger downloads. More details at 1UP.

- Michael McWhertor

Source:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbla/xbla-limit-upped-to-250-mb-229872.php

All I can say is about damn time MS quits limiting the potential of Live Arcade Games :applause:

About goddamn time.

- edit Now I wonder what's going to happen to this rule.

[quote name='hippieman']You think thats crap? One of the things all XBLA title are Supposed to do is to be able to keep running if a user yanks out the memory card.

So we have to load our entire program into RAM, and keep it there. That 512 (minus whatever is reserved for the dash and all that) gets filled up fast. If we could just read from the disk, it would make things so much easier.

I'm just thankful Epic talked Microsoft into 512 vs the 256 mb of ram they had planned.[/QUOTE]

I've always been amazed at the extremely low space in memory cards. I mean the official PS2 card was only 8 mb. With how cheap flash memory is nowadays, companies should be releasing 500mb-1gb cards for what they are charging for these low-capacity pieces of shit.

Just think: If this were enacted earlier, Lumines Live would have been cheaper.

Poor guys that made Robo Blitz, they worked their asses off to get the game under 50 mb, Konami comes along with a port saying they can't fit it under 50 mb so MS ups the limit...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Poor guys that made Robo Blitz, they worked their asses off to get the game under 50 mb, Konami comes along with a port saying they can't fit it under 50 mb so MS ups the limit...[/QUOTE]

Well, this is how the world works. It's akin to "superstar" treatment. You might be waiting an hour to get into a restaurant, don't thing if Shaq shows up, you're getting a table before him, no matter how long you waited.

You make Roboblitz, you have to follow the rules, your Konami, that rule is more of a suggestion.

I'm not sure why there was ever a limit in the first place. If you buy a core and can't play certain XBLA games then buy the hard drive or tough titties.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm not sure why there was ever a limit in the first place. If you buy a core and can't play certain XBLA games then buy the hard drive or tough titties.[/QUOTE]
Is there ANYONE here who owns a 360 without a hard drive?

[quote name='javeryh']I'm not sure why there was ever a limit in the first place. If you buy a core and can't play certain XBLA games then buy the hard drive or tough titties.[/quote]

qft

Get ready to get broken games that are badly programmed since worrying about the limit is no longer an issue.

Super Pac Man, with 247megs of space? What a Deal. Then it chugs like a whore.

Hopefully this is a move towards killing the Core system and making it worth the developers effort to take advantage of the HDD. With a limit of 250 MB Microsoft is in essence alienating the users that do not have a HDD but I think it had to be done eventually for the sake of the developers and better games. Microsoft's decision to not include a HDD with every console was a mistake and by phasing out the Core system they can eventually right that wrong. I'm sure at this point the number of users that do not own a HDD for their Xbox 360 is rather low and maybe when Microsoft decides to release a larger drive they will reduce the price of the 20 gig unit.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I've always been amazed at the extremely low space in memory cards. I mean the official PS2 card was only 8 mb. With how cheap flash memory is nowadays, companies should be releasing 500mb-1gb cards for what they are charging for these low-capacity pieces of shit.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely a 1 gig flash card is 11 bucks online. If its that cheap for us it, they would cost M$ or any other game company pennies apiece to buy flash memory.

[quote name='bil4ltool']Buying a 360 without an HD is like buying a high def cable box with a sdtv.[/QUOTE]Yeah but you can still watch a show all the way through on a SDTV.

[quote name='CitizenB']I agree completely a 1 gig flash card is 11 bucks online. If its that cheap for us it, they would cost M$ or any other game company pennies apiece to buy flash memory.[/QUOTE]

Or the fact that a 20gb hard drive is $100 bucks. What are they doing, charging $80 for the fancy enclosure? It scares the shit out of me about the potential price of a 100gb unit or more.

I also think that support of the hard drive would also encourage consumers to buy the stinking thing. Let's face it, the percentage of owners without one has to be far outweighed by the percentage of those that do.

[quote name='glockant']good news, but...

who thinks the price of arcade games will go up?

ruh roh.[/QUOTE]

The shit is already expensive enough as it is =/

I hate the fact that EVERY original XBLA is 800 points. I'd pay 400 for Heavy Weapons, but 800 just because it's not a port? That makes no sense.

I've noticed a trend... all straight old school ports are 400, all original developed games are 800, all big huge name games are 1200 or more.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alien Hominid, Worms, and SOTN were 1200 points.

as long as they dont try to sell us old coin up shit for 800 then ill be fine.. exceptions of course were more recent umk and sf2

the original games at 800 are somewhat passible since they did build the game etc and worked on it...

lumines at 1200 is ridiculous.. i tried to play the demo last night and didnt know what the fuck i was doing... dont see what ppl like so much about that game

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yeah but you can still watch a show all the way through on a SDTV.[/QUOTE]
No you can't if you are a HD freak ;)

[quote name='felixlighter']Hopefully this is a move towards killing the Core system and making it worth the developers effort to take advantage of the HDD. With a limit of 250 MB Microsoft is in essence alienating the users that do not have a HDD but I think it had to be done eventually for the sake of the developers and better games. Microsoft's decision to not include a HDD with every console was a mistake and by phasing out the Core system they can eventually right that wrong.
Don't really see how this move is going to kill the core, espically if they come out with the 256 or 512 memory card. I also don't see how it is a mistake, as I haven't come across a game yet that I would say that it would be better if they only came out with 1 sku.

[quote name='Roufuss']The shit is already expensive enough as it is =/

I hate the fact that EVERY original XBLA is 800 points. I'd pay 400 for Heavy Weapons, but 800 just because it's not a port? That makes no sense.

I've noticed a trend... all straight old school ports are 400, all original developed games are 800, all big huge name games are 1200 or more.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alien Hominid, Worms, and SOTN were 1200 points.[/quote]
that's what i'm saying..

we might be seeing 1600+ point arcade games.

[quote name='felixlighter']Hopefully this is a move towards killing the Core system and making it worth the developers effort to take advantage of the HDD. With a limit of 250 MB Microsoft is in essence alienating the users that do not have a HDD but I think it had to be done eventually for the sake of the developers and better games. Microsoft's decision to not include a HDD with every console was a mistake and by phasing out the Core system they can eventually right that wrong.[/quote]

Don't really see how this move is going to kill the core, espically if they come out with the 256 or 512 memory card. I also don't see how it is a mistake, as I haven't come across a game yet that I would say that it would be better if they only came out with 1 sku. The core was created so it can hit $99 price point as soon as possible, so they can move as many units as possible. If they want to be the market leader, having a unit at $99 may not interest the majority of people on these boards, but there is a market of people that will buy it. Look at the ps1 and ps2 sales as the price point dropped.

This move alone wouldn't kill the Core system but it might be a sign that Microsoft will stop catering to those without a HDD. If they do release a larger memory unit how much will it cost? The current memory unit is $30-$40 for 64 MB, if the larger unit is $50-$60 (a modest estimate I think for 512 MB) how much are you really saving by purchasing the Core Console?

Will it ever reach the $99 price point? The original Xbox didn't, the PS2 still hasn't. I don't think it's a magical number that convinces the public to go ahead and buy the console. Actually the only console to hit that point in recent history is the Gamecube, which made the drop quite some time ago, and it's sales numbers speak for themselves.

As for the benefits, improved loading times is an obvious benefit for just about any game if the developer can cache files on the HDD. Most developers won't take the time to take advantage of the drive if a good portion of the user base don't even have it.

well they are allegedly making about $70 bucks a console now. When you get the smaller chip, which will yield more of them on a sheet, they will be making even more money. Going into next holiday, it is feasible for the core to sell for $200 and make them a little bit of money. They will still have at least 2 if not 3 more years of the 360 during holiday seasons. Is it possible for the core to drop another $100 over the following 2 - 3 years. IMO it is, but it will also depnend on if they are going to throw the 360 some support after the launch of the next xbox. There won't be much of a point to drop the core to $99, if they don't have some games coming out for it.

According to most of the post on here, most people have the Hard Drive, so the developers should be catering to us already. The only game I have played where I thought the load times were a little long was on the lego star wars game. Didn't really think the load time affected my play at all in gears of war. We can use the excuse that the developer doesn't want to cache files on the HDD due to the 2 sku's, but is it the 2 skus are are the developers lazy and see a way to cut a small amount of cost that it would take to write code to cache files. IMO, that is like blaming msft for a shitty port of a retro game on arcade.(ie frogger) It wasn't msft that did it, it was the developer.

Good news, I guess. I just feel like some games will start rapidly eating up my 20gb of space.

The number one annoying thing:

Release big fucking memory cards you jackasses!

They could easily sell 2gb cards for the price they charge for 64mb, and still make huge profits.

[quote name='CitizenB']I agree completely a 1 gig flash card is 11 bucks online. If its that cheap for us it, they would cost M$ or any other game company pennies apiece to buy flash memory.[/QUOTE]

Follow the money, if any of the console manufactures used an $11 card how could they repackage the item and sell it for $25+ as a branded item?

i hope developers dont start getting lazy and not compressing their games...this might eat up our hard drives, forcing us to buy more...maybe that' MS's plan...to not limit the amount of space a xba game could be which would take up more space on our HD's making us buy more HD's from MS

REZ!!!!

I hope they release REZ for the XLA. That game is about 500 megs. It would sell like hotcakes. Plus its way better than any other original titles they have up there. The Dreamcast version is basicly a windows CE game.

Actually, with that in mind, I bet we may be seeing all sorts of Dreamcast games coming over to live. Think about that one.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Get ready to get broken games that are badly programmed since worrying about the limit is no longer an issue.

Super Pac Man, with 247megs of space? What a Deal. Then it chugs like a whore.[/QUOTE]

Can we get some kind of limit on these huge fucking signatures?

bread's done
Back