[XBLA] - Monday Night Combat - 1200 Points - Free DLC Out Now!

Ichigo1993

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
A long-waited DLC pack from UberEntertainment is released. For full details on the new maps, fixes, extra features, and churros, hit the link here.

monday-night-combat%281%29.gif

Release Date: August 11th, 2010
Price: 1200 Points ($15.00)​

The art style reminds me of Team Fortress 2, bringing a cartoonish look. The atmosphere, the humor, and the arena-based gameplay goes hand-in-hand with Ratchet and Clank. The gameplay, from the spawning of bots and customizing your character, is similar to DotA.

After watching some developer walkthroughs and trailers, the game looks very promising.

Reviews:
Gamesrader
8/10
Joystiq 4.5/5
IGN 8/10
Eurogamer 9/10

Gameplay Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gKt-nQrxw

Developer Walkthrough 1 (Tank Class)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmbTWbkA3Lk

Developer Walkthrough 2 (Support Class)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktsVSqotm5o
[/CENTER]

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to try this out. The developer videos look pretty cool. Hopefully there will be a lot of people playing this because I'll probably end up picking it up since I've purchased all the Summer of Arcade titles already...gotta get those 1200 points back!

I'm also looking forward to this title. This could be the new TF2 w/ actual server stability. *crosses fingers*

yeah was waiting for this one as was the only one of the summer titles i wanted and of course it is out last lol. im gonna give it til the weekend to check reviews and if good ill pick it up, if eh, ill save the points for the ME2 and Dragon Age DLC packs.

but if it is anything as remotely tongue-in-cheek and humurous as TF2 with comparable gameplay.. im totally snagging it

I'm waiting for the trail this week before I jump since it's either this or Lara Croft next week. I've already bought Limbo and Castlevania so I gotta at least get one more Summer of Arcade game to get my 400 points back.

I've seen the developer videos on MNC though and it looks like an absolute blast to play. I get why people compare this to TF2, but really outside of being a class based shooter and having a cartoon look to it the similarities end. My only concern is that this game will have major balancing issues, the support class looks way overpowered by the fact that you can stand by upgraded turrets and heal and shot from a distance and the air strike looks like something that will be abused.

Joystiq gave it 4 1/2 stars. I think I'll be getting it, totally up my alley.

The developers have also mentioned that much of the 'balancing' can be done server-side without patching, which is great news. They also plan for lots of DLC.

watching those videos i think i will skip this, haven't bought one of these summer titles...they all just seem to lack the WOW factor that this summer of arcade promotion has made a living off of the last few years. That lara croft game next week may be the only one i would throw 1200 points at but not sure until i demo it. The videos for monday night combat just seem like you are running around in circles not doing much besides upgrading turrets...they would have to give me 2400 points back to buy all 5 of these titles maybe 3600.

I spent about 30 minutes with it and it's been fun. Not crazy off the walls fun, but a decent time. Some people are actually co-op-ing, but it too early to tell if that will last. The tutorial falls a tiny bit short of what everything is or does, but you figure it out as you go.

I will try and put some more time in with it later in the day and report back

This game looks sweet. I'm hoping that people who buy and play it will be more team players, rather than... let's just deathmatch guys.

I didn't really think much of this current Summer of Arcade, but each of the games it turning out to be a hit. I almost passed on the Castlevania demo from some poor initial reviews, but that game is awesome.

This game does seem like a lot of fun, but $15 is a little too much for me. And I'm holding out for a PC version. If there is once, chances are it'd be on Steam which means that there'd be a deal for it eventually.

Will definitely try the demo though!

i played it for about 6 hours and got to level 14 and can say it is worth every penny, besides the assassin custom class ( you buy custom class slots to design your own version of the base classes, and they are pricey. ) IMO being overpowered ( you can make her super fast, almost perma invis, and can one shot anyone ) i had a blast with it. its semi TF2, part Smash TV, and plays quite balanced between classes.

There are titles and tags like MW2, purchased upgrades like CSS, shooter style of TF2, a splash of Moxxi's Underdome, and bit of Monday Night Football all in one. it oozes a non serious fun charm that had more fun playing than almost anything as of late... i would say it is worth the full $15 and more.. way better than Blacklight Tango down and is just a blast to play... i say get it! I am fond of the Gunner and have him custom with accuracy, crits, and rate of fire and he just rips stuff up, i topped the boards as MVP for 9 games straight until i got in a match with all assassins and 2 supports... all the classes have their own charm and will fit many playstyles, players skill with the classes is evident in a good match and can really turn the tide if you got people that coop and those that lone wolf it. i think the Tank class is kinda weak and the support class will be my next project to try, they have great abilities liek a cross between the medic and the engineer on TF2, a sniper is a sniper, gunner is a heavy that can make himself a turret, assassins are spy's that cannot disguise, and other nuances that are similar yet different

controlling bots and turrets nets you more point to level although as of now i have not seen levels actually mean anything other than you have been playing a while. playing single player and coop blitz alone, local, or online all stacks with your stats and money and XP in all gametypes so no matter where you play all your stats go hand in hand. more to come as i play tonight before bed

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it. I only played one game so far, but it was fun. It is deeper than it appears. I still have a lot to learn. The Assassin class may kill this game if they don't balance it, it's ridiculous how they run around invisible one hit killing everyone. There were many assassins in my game. Maybe there is a good way to counter them, but I haven't figured it out yet.

the only way ive seen to counter them is that they make a humming sound when they come near, jump a lot and they uncloak for about 2 seconds before their grapple goes off and you can counter it, or the tank deploys cannot be grappled, the gunner can slam the ground, but all and all its pretty much spot them, counter quick, or get one shotted. the bigger classes can take one hit from the front and live but a back attack is one hit kill on anyone. i am still seeing if the armor in slot 1 of a customized gunner will survive a back attack, if so, Armor, accuracy, rate of fire mods in a gunner would own them every time

Assassins can't get to you if you are using the jetpack.

My thoughts:

The game is fun. If you like TF2 you will enjoy it. I have on had a couple matches where the teams weren't even or one side had a rank advanage (lvl 35 v 4? More play time means more money. That means more unlocks in the custom class that can make you crazy strong) I've played a couple games of Blitz (it's like horde mode, but most of the lobbies are empty) and a more of Crossfire (6 v 6, base defense). Like I said before, the demo falls a bit short on explaining some things, but it is easy to catch on.

Played the trial for about 18 minutes. Got 12 minutes left, sadly. I'd like to purchase this but my funds are greatly limited for the time being.

bought it. Game is tons of fun. The assassin is annoying but there are many counters like staying near freeze turrets or the supports sentry gun obliterates them as soon as they uncloak. They have practically no life: stay with teamates and they can't survive a kill.

This game is amazingly well balanced, not just between classes, but between the shooter and tower defense concepts. Now I've just imagined a game that takes the tower defense aspects of this game and makes them more starcraft like. Now that seems like a really killer concept that I never would have imagined being possible before seeing how well this game has added to the strategy of a class based shooter. Anyone else feeling this idea?

I picked the game up last night. It was the first time in while that I found myself laughing out loud at a game (I had that much fun). I highly recommend it.

Played a bunch last night and it was a lot of fun. I have run into a few buggy issues and the classes seem like they could still use a little bit of balancing but it's well worth the $15.

up to level 19 last night, and as far as assasins go, not every class gets a jetpack, freeze traps are sniper deployed, and if not support you are always on the move so staying back by freezers is moot. tanks and gunners cannot be grappled while deployed, however you can be melee'd to death before you can undeploy or before you can reload with the big classes, however i am getting adept to jump moving a lot with my gunner and when i see one trying to nab me when i land i fire off ground pound and send them flying.

besides upgraded snipers being able to one shot anything when gun is upgraded ( which is typical of the class and nto really a problem ) these to me ar the only major class issues except for MAYBE the Assaults ability to use dash right into a grapple and ring you out from almost anywhere... played well Assaults are very powerful in the flexibility ( playing a custom spec with ability reuse, speed, and armor who basically runs around and dash charges into people and tosses them all over ) and all you really need is a level 3 upgrade to your Dash)

there are interesting combos on how to use classes, looking forward to getting more versed in them and the powers they can use.

Another way to stop assasins, level 3 tank ability grants enough health to survive and grab. Even from the back, so they grapple you, you kill them instead. Also a juiced tank can tear through any turret like butter, in one juice took out 2 rocket and 2 lasers and still had time to get a few kills.

Played the trial, played multiplayer, seemed fun so I bought it.

Today I played 4 games, I was MVP twice and got second twice. I'm rank 2. I'm playing with a mix of higher ranked and low ranked people. There seems to be 2-4 good players per match, the rest of the people don't really seem to understand the game at all.

So far the game seems like it could be fun, but I really need to play with some decent players to see how it really is.

[quote name='Calm']Another way to stop assasins, level 3 tank ability grants enough health to survive and grab. Even from the back, so they grapple you, you kill them instead. Also a juiced tank can tear through any turret like butter, in one juice took out 2 rocket and 2 lasers and still had time to get a few kills.[/QUOTE]

yep, why im thinking of switching my specialty from a gunner to a tank, i like everything about them EXCEPT the heat ray gun, for some reason it just seems ineffective to me... i like the lazer rifle secondary and his abilities otherwise and his spinny attack is great for ball defense.

i agree with the skilled players too, i see maybe a couple a match on either side and still many lone wolves sucking up a useful team slot. i well rounded 3 man rush squad with DPS support can rip through about anything. support, gunner/tank, and assault, with a sniper and assassin/assault team is awesome

I'll have to pick this up after I finish up my final achievements in Alan Wake. Here's to hoping people will be playing this for quite awhile.

I've put in a couple hours and am really enjoying this game. I've only played as Gunner so far. I feel the games seem fairly balanced so far. I only had one game where we got creamed. When we got back to the lobby, my team only had 3 people and their's had 6. So, I think that was the main problem. Also, the other team had like 3 Snipers. Every time I'd poke my head out of our base, I'd be dead.
I finally got $15,000 and bought my first custom slot. I was messing around with the different gold, silver and bronze perks. I chose things to make my gunfire more effective. I didn't play a game after this. Tonight I will see how effective it is.

[quote name='Hoffer']I've put in a couple hours and am really enjoying this game. I've only played as Gunner so far. I feel the games seem fairly balanced so far. I only had one game where we got creamed. When we got back to the lobby, my team only had 3 people and their's had 6. So, I think that was the main problem. Also, the other team had like 3 Snipers. Every time I'd poke my head out of our base, I'd be dead.
I finally got $15,000 and bought my first custom slot. I was messing around with the different gold, silver and bronze perks. I chose things to make my gunfire more effective. I didn't play a game after this. Tonight I will see how effective it is.
[/QUOTE]

Gunner is my baby, i love him. try using Accuracy as your first Gold slot, it makes a TREMENDOUS difference in the grouping of your shots and FAR more accurate at long range, i then slotted Critical Hit, then Rate of Fire. with Silver Crits i find i can start shooting after a rival gunner who is running Rate of Fire GOLD and still drop him first with the critical bonus. the only real downside to this loadout is that you have a much larger reload time. I compensate this by making sure i work to corners or defense glass before reloading, this also leaves you vulnerable to assassings and assault charges, but if you have saved your "blue" slam you can bounce them away. you cannot activate skills during the reload animation but you CAN jump which will prevent grapples and reload in the air.

your grapple sucks IMO but can chuck assassins just fine otherwise save it for jackbots, i like to wait on an overpass for a group then float over them, ground slam from the air, shoot any players, them toss a jackbot. at close range with this set up, you can chew a gunner or tank down in about 3 seconds, other classes in mere moments.

for upgrades, i ALWAYS do my first level ' Gray " first then jump down and activate a lazer turret, then upgrade it once. any early rushing assassins or snipers generally get chewed up by this trying to get outside our base for easy spawn kills and gets you more money early. once you got the 400 bills upgrade to your dual minigun ASAP then save for your deploy bonuses. at level 3 you can deploy with a face shield and keep from getting one shotted by snipers to the face. then get your slam built up. once i have those ill dump any money i got into turrets or bots then work my money into my grapple, a level 1 grapple will still take them to about half life, then you can follow it with a slam to finish almost anyone and blow them away ( or jump at them and pancake them )

either way, i love the game and the class, anyone wants to try tthe blitz rounds im on the third one and it is F'ing NUTS with 4, i made it to 27 my first try with a tank so might try with my gunner, but it is a blast. look me up or friend me and we can rock some stuff out.

Damn, I had this game crossed off my list, but the feedback here is making me reconsider. I guess I will give the demo a whirl and perhaps pick it up.

As much as I love this game, I'm just no good at it. Granted I've only played 3 games and the tutorial.

Is there some strategy I'm missing, seems I keep dying almost instantly no matter what class I'm at, and in a 1on1 battle no matter what class the enemy is, I usually lose.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']As much as I love this game, I'm just no good at it. Granted I've only played 3 games and the tutorial.

Is there some strategy I'm missing, seems I keep dying almost instantly no matter what class I'm at, and in a 1on1 battle no matter what class the enemy is, I usually lose.[/QUOTE]

its got a steep META game much like TF2 in juggling the class weaknesses. what class are you trying? get 15,000 bucks and get your first custom slot.. and most important... play WITH teammates. i designed my gunner solo as i hardly have anyone help me and gunners are not exactly support classes so you know.. I am not an expert by any means but can help answer any questions. ive been playing with all teh classes and skills and trying to gain playstyle knowledge from other decent players.

for new players i recommend going through the exhibition blitz, you start with a little cash, its easy, and you can test out all the classes and get familiar with the skills before jumping into crossfire. im totally down for a CAG night on this for practicing, blitzing and some 6 on 6 if we can get the people.

[quote name='Freemason']its got a steep META game much like TF2 in juggling the class weaknesses. what class are you trying? get 15,000 bucks and get your first custom slot.. and most important... play WITH teammates. i designed my gunner slo as i hardly have anyone help me and gunners are not exactly support classes so you know..[/QUOTE]

I usually pick the Solider or Heavy Gunner. I'm almost at $15K, guess custom class is the way to go?

I've been playing nonstop for the past 3 days. I think I've already logged in 10-12 hours of gameplay. After getting used to the Assault class, I started to rake up some kills and was able to win most of the matches I played in.

I found upgrading the Charge skill to level 3 in the Assault was really effective. Whenever I would use it on an enemy, it would instantly grapple them and usually knock them in the red or kill them. I would typically use it when they're on a side of a map, so I could get a ring out.

yep a well played asault is awesome. the charge grapple is an amazing tool, and they can dash out of fire like nobodys business. they are the king of ring outs in my experience and also resistant to them as they can just jetpack to safety if knocked out. besides the assassins at my back, Assaults are my biggest weakness right now in terms of defending against them. i usually wait for them to pick a target and flank them, or wait for them to try to charge me then ground pound and jump and spray. they are a very lethal class when played well.

my favorites in order are

Gunner
Assault
Support
Tank
Assassin
Sniper

gunner, assault, 2 support, assassin, and a sniper/tank is a beastly team combo if working together.. the only thing i really like the sniper for is upgraded freeze traps, when breaking through the money ball its amazing if mixed with annihilator, jakbot, assassin strike, or the support missle... however one thing that REALLY needs change or upgraded is the gunner mortar... it is worthless and not even 25% as effective as the main gun.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']I've been playing nonstop for the past 3 days. I think I've already logged in 10-12 hours of gameplay. After getting used to the Assault class, I started to rake up some kills and was able to win most of the matches I played in.

I found upgrading the Charge skill to level 3 in the Assault was really effective. Whenever I would use it on an enemy, it would instantly grapple them and usually knock them in the red or kill them. I would typically use it when they're on a side of a map, so I could get a ring out.[/QUOTE]

did you make your custom guy yet? ability reuse, speed/juice, and armor make him a charging ringout animal.

Made it to lvl 30 last night and knocked out all remaining achievements. Still having a blast on most games. Once you learn what classes your current class works well against you can avoid most encounters that would get you killed. =]

Working on unlocking my 4th custom class slot. So far I prefer the Assault class,work the corners while shooting and generally charge my way out of tight situations.

from reading this thread it sounds like asault will be the first to be nerfed. I also notice assault and assassin are most popular classes in my matches.

IMO Assassin's are overpowered, they're way too fast and on top of that they have cloaking abilities...I get killed mostly by the assassin class over all the others.

bread's done
Back