XBLA - Perfect Dark - Now available - Controls/achievement patch out now

You could do that, OR you could blow up all the other pillars with the devastator (the ones you don't mark for Elvis) and then get double phoenix upon success. If you run out of grenades, it'll still say you failed, but as long as you have the phoenix, you can still get in by using it's secondary fire.

Ok thanks I'll try those suggestions. I swear I already did the secondary fire with the Devastator though.

Update: WTF, I secondary fire the cracked wall with the devastator but nothing happens to the damn wall. I'd like to get a phoenix but I can only find one other pillar (is the other non targeted pillar the one lying down where the two skedar stand shooting at you). Gahh so annoying I can't even do this part even following a guide lol...

doh I wasn't hitting the right wall haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I really wish I would have never bought perfect dark. It seems that no one is online anymore and the singleplyer just plain sucks. Seems I made my first bad purchase on xbla.

[quote name='tominater12']Man I really wish I would have never bought perfect dark. It seems that no one is online anymore and the singleplyer just plain sucks. Seems I made my first bad purchase on xbla.[/QUOTE]

it's only one of the best three xbla games out there and he complains... (Banjo Kazooie/Tooie are the remaining games).
seriously, it's unbelievable you're questioning $10 purchase, especially of this magnitude...

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok thanks I'll try those suggestions. I swear I already did the secondary fire with the Devastator though.

Update: WTF, I secondary fire the cracked wall with the devastator but nothing happens to the damn wall. I'd like to get a phoenix but I can only find one other pillar (is the other non targeted pillar the one lying down where the two skedar stand shooting at you). Gahh so annoying I can't even do this part even following a guide lol...

doh I wasn't hitting the right wall haha.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Was wondering why the secondary function didn't work. Although I don't think you need to do it IIRC.

For the 5 pillars,
you have the one around the corner where the first skedar is, one in a corner before you get to the three skedar shooting from behind cover, a giant one around the corner to the right (you have to use secondary fire and aim near the top - it's a bitch trying to get that one IMO), and one in the room behind that. For the one not mentioned, not sure how to describe how to get to it, but it's in a room by itself behind a wall (which you can get through from the left or right IIRC).

Not sure how well I explained it as I played the single player the day it came out and haven't touched it since (mainly playing for multiplayer) but it should be effective enough. Also going from memory, but it sounds right to me at least. As for which ones you have to mark, which three of the five is actually random. The one exception might be the very first one though, but aside from that.

I hope you're at least planning to justify your bad purchase by joining us for game night, tominater.

Anyone else who wants to join, send me a message. I'll start a lobby in a few minutes.

[quote name='pRINCESS-iSABELA']it's only one of the best three xbla games out there and he complains... (Banjo Kazooie/Tooie are the remaining games).
seriously, it's unbelievable you're questioning $10 purchase, especially of this magnitude...[/QUOTE] rare/nintendo fanboy here :roll:

shadow complex
braid
castle crashers
castlevania
geometry wars: 2

Glad we had more people show up this week! Also in the future if anyone wants to do specific weapons/modes/etc., just speak up.

[quote name='theking20']how long do you guys play til?
i might make it on by 11 or 11:30[/QUOTE]

We've been playing until around midnight give or take iirc.

Also, just woke up, so I'll be on myself in a couple minutes.

[quote name='Cheapskate']So is the group's preference teams or solo?[/QUOTE]

We've been doing a lot of solo in the time we've been doing it, but we have done a little bit of teams.

Hooray. Hopefully just loading it up will give me the firing range achievement. As long as I don't have to do that all again at least.

Thanks. I hadn't seen any info on the patch but have been eagerly awaiting it. It's about time! I still love this game after all these years and it's become a staple of my Thursday nights with friends!

The patch is out! Here's the full list of changes from Rare's site:

• Legacy controls
  • Southpaw (left-handed) controls
  • Swap Triggers control option
  • Lock Sight control option
  • Precision Aim sensitivity tuning
  • Hardcore (No Radar, No Auto-Aim, No Highlights, Combat only) matchmaking playlist
  • Gamma (brightness) option
  • Secondary Fire Reset option in Combat Simulator
  • Quick Menu select using either Left or Right stick
  • Player Handicap reinstated in local multiplayer
  • Client player progress recorded in Live Co-Op game
  • Progress recorded for all primary players (main player on each console) in Live Challenges
  • Counter-Op progress recorded for both players if Jo player successfully completes the level
  • Achievement fixes including 'Tools of the Trade' (anyone who's earned but not received it will now do so), ‘Who Needs Enemies’ (awarded to Counter-Op player after a full mission's progress), ‘How's That For Starters?’ (awarded to Counter-Op player if Jo player completes first level)
  • Increased duration of explosions to better match the N64 experience
  • Laptop Gun sentry mode performance adjusted to match the N64 experience

I tried out the Lock Sight option but can't tell what it does. The gamma setting is a welcome addition though, and I'm sure people will appreciate the achievement and challenge fixes.

[quote name='Matt Young']Are we going to have anymore game nights?[/QUOTE]

Not many were showing up for the Wednesday games so I've been playing other things. If people want to get together at another time/night sometime though, I'd love to get a big PD game going.

I just downloaded the patch but it didn't seem to make any difference with the Tools of the Trade achievement. I've got 32 weapons listed and have bronze and silver on all and just the last few to do on gold. Anyone have any tricks or did anything special to make it take effect?

Have you maybe retried completeing one of them on bronze? I haven't loaded it up yet, but if it doesn't pop for me, I was going to try that.

Yeah, I actually tried that right away. I tried some bronze and beat them and nothing worked. Tried the silver and gold with the same effects. Actually went back to dashboard and restarted the game too to no avail. I'm at a loss.

Yeah, didn't work for me either. I'm tempted to delete it from the hard drive and redownload it, but would I lose my save file if I did that?

From browsing a couple of other forums, they say to move your original save file onto a USB drive/memory unit and start a new game, then run through Agent mode and collect all the weapons, then do it all over again. Most of those forums have said that part way through the firing range after doing this that the achievement has unlocked for them. It's the only option I have right now, I'm at a loss on this one.

[quote name='Nico0020']reminder bump about the update today.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was going to do one, but I forgot.

I'm up for a custom-match get-together anytime, now that the Legacy controls allow me to actually play the game. :cool:

The tricks I've read in other forums were accurate though for the Tools of the Trade achievement. I moved my saved file onto a storage drive and started a new save file on my hard drive. I would play through a few missions, then head back to the firing range and bronze star all of them. If that didn't unlock, I would return to the missions. For me specifically, I finished up the Area 51 - Infiltration level and returned to the range. When I completed the last one in the list I had not bronze starred (Remote Mines), it unlocked immediately after getting the star. I hope this helps a few of you frustrated gamers!

bread's done
Back