XBLA - Perfect Dark - Now available - Controls/achievement patch out now

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Someone clue me in all the way back to the first mission with the ECM Mines.

You can scream noob if there's an easy button and I just haven't noticed it.

But, it seems the only way to equip a mine is to hit select->scroll right->choose ECM Mines from inventory. On the normal popup screen to choose weapons, ECM is redded out and can't be selected.

Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
Just place the right analog over when you're holding the LB button and it should select it. Meaning don't press RT or anything else to select it, just place it over.

This reminds me soooo much of Time Splitters. Now that it moves all hyper smooth. :p
So when will they do Golden Eye??

[quote name='kaypatch']This reminds me soooo much of Time Splitters. Now that it moves all hyper smooth. :p
So when will they do Golden Eye??[/QUOTE]

Never!

[quote name='JDKnuckles']It's too bad I can't play it because it doesn't have the legacy feature for the controls -_-[/QUOTE]

wah. get over it. the control schemes that are there now are more than sufficient, and besides, they said they were working on other possible configurations.

[quote name='kaypatch']So when will they do Golden Eye??[/QUOTE]

They already did...it's just pretty much finished, they just can't release it due to complications with three parties owning parts of the rights. Maybe if this one sells well, Nintendo will realize all the money they're missing out on making by continuing to hold out on Goldeneye.

[quote name='kaypatch']
So when will they do Golden Eye??[/QUOTE]

Goldeneye gun arsenal and multiplayer maps are already in Perfect Dark, they did went way beyond what other developers are doing for remakes(GE maps were originally in PD on N64 but guns from GE weren't playable in N64 version, now they are).

lol on Agent the enemies are the biggest joke ever YET, it's still loads of fun. I sadly had to resort to GameFAQs a few times though as I never owned the original, just freeloaded as I didn't own a N64 of my own...Regardless, looking forward to finishing the campaign and giving that "fists only" achievement a try again as it was pretty tough even on the first level...

Hahaha you gotta love proximity bombs disguised as a rifle on the ground.^^ Also I wish there were more bots but I'm probably a minority since everyone is playing online anyway.

You completed each of the games, right matt? I unlocked the achievement myself no problem the other day. And for what it's worth to those who haven't got it yet, you can get 5 of the 6 from playing in the challenge scenarios. I don't recall pop a cap being a challenge scenario from my N64 days, but I could be wrong as on the 360 version I only have the first 20 challenges unlocked so far.

[quote name='kaypatch']This reminds me soooo much of Time Splitters. Now that it moves all hyper smooth. :p[/QUOTE]

as someone who has been playing timesplitters for 8 year :|

you see, in timesplitters you CANT one shoot people and camp "doors" and the aiming is better in Ts. the feeling of Ts is there UNTIL I SPAWN without a gun and get kill by the uzi player who i cant reach because he's shooting me.
go ahead and disregard my post, but youll be disregarding a top 100 timesplitters player (at-least till the cheaters came)

I can't get the co-op or counter-op achievements, for some odd reason. I've completed missions for each mode playing solo and online play. Anyone have any idea what's up?

[quote name='JStryke']You completed each of the games, right matt? I unlocked the achievement myself no problem the other day. And for what it's worth to those who haven't got it yet, you can get 5 of the 6 from playing in the challenge scenarios. I don't recall pop a cap being a challenge scenario from my N64 days, but I could be wrong as on the 360 version I only have the first 20 challenges unlocked so far.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's why I said I wasted an hour. 10 minutes each.

[quote name='ninju D']Anyone else having issues with the Tools of the Trade achievement? I guess there are issues with it getting applied right.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you've opened all 32 of the weapons. If you haven't, it might show all of your weapons as bronze-starred, but you don't have all 32 yet. You need to complete 23 of the challenges to get the laser unlocked, as far as I can remember that's the last one you'd probably need.

[quote name='Bavgate']I can't get the co-op or counter-op achievements, for some odd reason. I've completed missions for each mode playing solo and online play. Anyone have any idea what's up?[/QUOTE]

Me either. I played a bunch this morning and nothing.

I'm enjoying the single player although I have to use gamefaqs often due to the archaic level design. Oh it's not that bad but often times I can't figure out where to go or I missed the first objective and I have to backtrack a lot, granted the game is 10 years old. I'm also playing another game 10 years old, Dune 2000 lol.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I'm enjoying the single player although I have to use gamefaqs often due to the archaic level design. Oh it's not that bad but often times I can't figure out where to go or I missed the first objective and I have to backtrack a lot, granted the game is 10 years old. I'm also playing another game 10 years old, Dune 2000 lol.[/QUOTE]

basically you're just saying you're too used to more recent games holding your hand. Older games were much harder, im having a hell of a time with some of the levels, haha. damn modern gaming for being way too accessible. still love it though.

[quote name='lordwow']Me either. I played a bunch this morning and nothing.[/QUOTE]

Apparently for counter-op, you have to go through and play as the Agent (Joanna) instead of the Counter-Agent to get the achievement. As for the co-op, I still have no idea why I'm not getting it.

I really enjoy the shooting range. I forgot about the speed runs to unlock cheats... some of those are going to suck.

All and all, I can see myself easily sinking 20+ hours into this.

[quote name='paz9x']is anybody else havgin issues with nausea? i couldnt play for more than 10 minutes i had to go lay down. the only other game ive ever had this issue with was the marathon xbla release. what causes that? im really bummed. i didnt even test the demo as i loved the og pd.[/QUOTE]

I just finished a co-op session of the first mission and I'm feeling slightly light headed. I even felt the same way after watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Looks like I'll be playing this in short bursts, fun as it is.

[quote name='AshesofWake']basically you're just saying you're too used to more recent games holding your hand. Older games were much harder, im having a hell of a time with some of the levels, haha. damn modern gaming for being way too accessible. still love it though.[/QUOTE]

While saying absolutely no is probably being ignorant I do acknowledge that more recent gaming trends have probably caused me to become soft. However the level design could use a bit of improvement, (ie the time I had to activate the beacon I had gone through the entire mission missing that escape pod). It's not a fault per see to Perfect Dark but it shows how much gaming and game design has advanced over say 10 years lol.

[quote name='Sway']I just finished a co-op session of the first mission and I'm feeling slightly light headed. I even felt the same way after watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Looks like I'll be playing this in short bursts, fun as it is.[/QUOTE]
Put me down on that list too. It's bizarre. I was wanting to be done after fifteen minutes, but I toughed it out with my friends. Afterwards, I was definitely read to go to sleep.

[quote name='Spybreak8']While saying absolutely no is probably being ignorant I do acknowledge that more recent gaming trends have probably caused me to become soft. However the level design could use a bit of improvement, (ie the time I had to activate the beacon I had gone through the entire mission missing that escape pod). It's not a fault per see to Perfect Dark but it shows how much gaming and game design has advanced over say 10 years lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not a matter of newer games "holding your hand" in my opinion. In Perfect Dark, there are a lot of little nooks, crannies, and corridors that lead to nowhere.

[quote name='Matt Young']Yeah, it's not a matter of newer games "holding your hand" in my opinion. In Perfect Dark, there are a lot of little nooks, crannies, and corridors that lead to nowhere.[/QUOTE]

Just like in real life. It's realistic.

since i have NEVER played perfect dark's single player. let me tell you a mission that took a normal person 6 minutes took me 20.

in the second part of the first mission i ran everywhere not knowing where to go. i watched a couple youtube videos and in the video there were three scientists and in each one the guy knocked the third one out.. I NEVER would have guessed to do that and i don't even know if its required but regardless i wouldn't have known until watching that vid to do that.

[quote name='AshesofWake']basically you're just saying you're too used to more recent games holding your hand. Older games were much harder, im having a hell of a time with some of the levels, haha. damn modern gaming for being way too accessible. still love it though.[/QUOTE]

yea remembering that "pattern!" and beating that level in 2 minutes IS SO HARD.

it took me 20 minutes to beat the first missions 3 parts, after beating it. i have done so like 3 times under 5(exaggerating..!). with such linear tasks it becomes second nature and repetitive!

For the levels, what I've been noticing about myself having trouble (most notably on 4:2 where I have the x-ray scanner and data uplink) I forget that I'm actually supposed to be using them. Safe to say, I felt retarded afterwards.

there is no better arsenal of weapons in any fps, pd is still the king in this department.

over 40 weapons with secondary options.

laptop gun that transforms and doubles as a sentry device planted on a wall? awesome as it ever was.

single player, multiplayer, challenges, they've even added additional tasks (previously unreleased) as well as bonuses (PD Theme, Gamer Pictures, Avatar items you unlock) -

there is simply no better shooter out there in terms of value proposition.

4J/Rare even said that if this release sells well, PD2 is inevitable.

[quote name='timesplitt']yea remembering that "pattern!" and beating that level in 2 minutes IS SO HARD.

it took me 20 minutes to beat the first missions 3 parts, after beating it. i have done so like 3 times under 5(exaggerating..!). with such linear tasks it becomes second nature and repetitive![/QUOTE]

um thats pretty much any level in any game. if you know where to go of course it's not going to take that long.... obvious much? and honestly i can't think of any game that doesn't have some sort of repetitive mechanic in it. That never determines the quality of a game and there isn't anything wrong with that.

im just saying those games were much more obscure and not as catering to gamers as games seem to be nowadays. im not saying those games back then sucked or were amazing and im not saying games now suck or are amazing. It's just interesting to see that progression.

For people having trouble with the co-op/counter-op achievements, I've read that you need to complete an entire mission (as opposed to a level) for it to count. So, if you just do Datadyne Defection, that's only really 1/3 of the whole mission. Just use a single-level mission like the Villa and you'll be set.

[quote name='Matt Young']Yeah, it's not a matter of newer games "holding your hand" in my opinion. In Perfect Dark, there are a lot of little nooks, crannies, and corridors that lead to nowhere.[/QUOTE]

All the little dead ends might be used for objectives in higher difficulty levels. (At least that's what I kept telling myself while wandering lost through another mystery corridor.)

[quote name='pRINCESS-iSABELA']there is no better arsenal of weapons in any fps, pd is still the king in this department.[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely true. :)

Also we should get a game night going for this. Post what days/times would work for you if you're interested. I'm thinking something like Mondays or Tuesdays, 7 PM Pacific/10 Eastern.

I would prefer afternoons (EST), but that's probably not possible unless it's a weekend. Main reason being I go to sleep early thanks to my delivery job early mornings. However, once may rolls around, I'm good whenever as far as I know since I'll be unemployed then (moving).

tried to have a match, not many people on this time, game put me against 4 Australians. of course i had to carry my team. but funny thing is i had better connection in this match than most of the matches where im playing people IN THE SAME country. in this match when i was shooting people they were actually dieing. there was NO bullshit LIKE where id fire 30 bullets and not kill them. when i shot a guy he'd die!

you guys and i have talked about getting one shotted by a magnum while wearing armor right, then why should my 3 magnum bullets that hit a guy in the chest lose to 10 dragon bullets!. im geting sick of people popping out of a corner shooting me like 3 times with the dragon and making me lose ALL of my shields and most of my health. while my 3 magnum shots do nothing! if it takes one to the head to kill a guy I'd think three to the chest should have the same effect (in some matches i have killed people with 2 which adds even more bullshit)

[quote name='metaly']For people having trouble with the co-op/counter-op achievements, I've read that you need to complete an entire mission (as opposed to a level) for it to count. So, if you just do Datadyne Defection, that's only really 1/3 of the whole mission. Just use a single-level mission like the Villa and you'll be set.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info, metaly! Gonna go try that out in a little bit.

[quote name='JStryke']For the levels, what I've been noticing about myself having trouble (most notably on 4:2 where I have the x-ray scanner and data uplink) I forget that I'm actually supposed to be using them. Safe to say, I felt retarded afterwards.[/QUOTE]

The first time I ran across a locked door and a computer next to it I went all over the level trying to find a key. Yeah I felt retarded afterwards as well.

Just got done with a 3-4 hour co-op session on Perfect Agent with some completely random person. Ended up adding him as a friend, 'cause we were kicking some serious ass (and getting our asses kicked seriously on some missions).

And metaly, you were right about the co-op achievement, dude. I haven't checked about the counter-op one yet though.

[quote name='Bavgate']

And metaly, you were right about the co-op achievement, dude. I haven't checked about the counter-op one yet though.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. Thanks, man, that had been bugging me. What a weird way to set-up the achievement.

For the record, that's true for both Co-op and Counter-Op.

[quote name='007']Seconded. Thanks, man, that had been bugging me. What a weird way to set-up the achievement.

For the record, that's true for both Co-op and Counter-Op.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Thanks for confirming the counter-op achievement, 007.

I tried the demo and though it was fun, but I also suspect it's a game, like Bioshock, that I'm never going to manage to finish. Still, it's relatively cheap, so maybe I'll buy it anyway and see what happens.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Is there anywhere that keeps track of what online awards you've received? I want to know which ones I need for the achievement.[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm mistaken, for the crowning glory achievement, the awards are under help and options, and click awards.

Just beat the game on special agent. I was REALLY rusty I must say, but one thing I noticed for sure is,
taking auto aim off for the final boss fight is practically mandatory. Otherwise you can't shoot the shrine as you'll be aimed toward the Skedar King instead.

Also, kind of a bummer that the beat the game on Agent / Special Agent / Perfect Agent achievements don't stack. I never liked playing games on the easiest difficulties.

Here's a question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you complete the game (I did so on special agent) aren't you supposed to get a new title screen?

Also, a bummer at least one of the achievements is glitched. I'm positive I got a bronze on all 32 weapons in the firing range.

Rare says the 32 weapons achievement is indeed glitched for some people and they're looking at a patch. Here are some possible workarounds in the meantime. Also make sure you have the golden magnum (DY357-DX) because it has separate challenges from the regular magnum. I thought I had all the medals at first but I was actually missing that gun. Also I can't count. :oops:

Anyone want to play this in a group tomorrow night?

bread's done
Back