XBLA - R-Type Dimensions - 1200pts.

After playing the demo, it would have been a must have at 800. 1200 is a bit of a stretch though. The switch from "old" to "new" via a button press is unique, but not enough for me to warrant a purchase. The new "infinite" mode means that you can literally sit there and blast your way throughout the entire game and not even worry about dodging anything. It's kind of pointless really. I was able to kill the first boss after 3 fully charged shots.

The music also seemed rather out of place. Here you have this cool 2D/3Desque game, then music straight from the 8-bit era.

I think there is better value elsewhere for 1200 points personally.

awww and I was getting ready to buy more points because I am 400 points short damn it. I guess because they think it's two games that they jack it up.

Bummer. I agree w/everyone else that it would've been fine as an 800pt game. Maybe they thought it was two 600pt games together?

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be happy with the demo for now. :p

The pricing for XBLA games is always seems to be just a bit too much, I would of consider it for 800, but for 1200 no

Just tried it last night. I forgot how hard R-Type is. And in that not really fun way. Unless you turn on the infinite mode, but then it's not fun in the "why am I even bothering now?" kind of way.

MjC

I was pretty excited about this and planning to buy it. But at 1200 points $15 I'm not going to support these little download games getting more expensive all the time. They apparently are going to lose a lot of sales. You can check the leaderboard. 4,000 people bought it the first day, bet it won't even double that number the next week. That is a disaster.

I bought it and I love it! Whats great about it is that everyone can play it due to infinite mode. Hardcore shooter fans will love the classic mode however!

[quote name='moonknight25']I bought it and I love it! Whats great about it is that everyone can play it due to infinite mode. Hardcore shooter fans will love the classic mode however![/QUOTE]

Is that great? I mean, yeah you can finish the game, but is there any sense of accomplishment or challenge to a game that can be completed while wearing blindfolds and earplugs?

Its weird because my friends compete to see to can beat it with the fewest lives lost. I think it makes the game more accessible for non shooter fans. Of course being the huge r-type/gradius fan i am...i'm all over classic mode ;P

After playing it on the psp again, I'm glad I didn't spend the 1200 points. It's simply too much to ask for this. Yeah, I know they enhanced the graphics, but it's the same game.

Damn, you gotta be good to take what is already a very small niche genre and alienate the few remaining shmup fans. Hell, I have the first stage of R-Type as my desktop background but I'm not paying $15 for this.

bread's done
Back