[XBLA] - RISK Factions - 800MSP - Out Now

Ichigo1993

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
E56_factions_logo.jpg

Wage war with five factions, each with unique abilities, in the original game of strategy and world domination! Play with the classic rules or reign supreme with objective-based and world conquest scenarios as you command your army and take tactical gambles to win the day.

IGN Review [8/10]
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1101408p1.html
Gamespot Review [6/10]
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/riskfactions/review.html
1UP Review
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3180110

Launch Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o59qdqMWMw

Gameplay Footage/Interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj_K_8Kfrq0

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']So if you play with classic rules, do you still play it with the wacky factions?[/QUOTE]

No. Classic risk is just little blocks and dice.

I have the demo on my 360 but have not tried it yet. I have been hearing mixed things about this, what are your thoughts for those who own it?

Played the demo, I'll be buying it. Gonna have to get back up to speed on strategy though. It has been a long time since I played.
If any CAGs get it my GT is DROPPIN LOADZ. Hopefully online isn't a bunch of quitters. No mater how bad I'm losing in any game I stick it out.

I bought it and played it a bunch.

It's very polished. The campaign is 5 levels and it has cutscenes which are well done and pretty funny. The cutscenes are probably the best xbla has to offer in animation.

The different maps have map specific things. One has cities that give you extra units, one has a missile which gives you a bonus to attack in that area, one has a damn which lets you flood an area, etc

The campaign is easy to hard (depending on how you roll). I played about 10 skirmish games against the AI and lost them all. It's sorta funny because i played a lot of risk and castle risk when I was younger. The skirmish computer is hard, so newcomers will get frustrated and stomped. The AI does have some oddities, on the classic map they like to clump up their capitols (especially around Australia), which can make a certain corner of the map key to victory. The AI tends to skirmish nonstop, but then somehow 1 of them quickly becomes dominant and nearly unstoppable. A lot of the games I was in 2nd place (more or less) and the other AIs were trying to stop me and not the 1st place player.

The objective system is very interesting. Each time you play you get slightly random objectives (e.g. take over North America). Once you complete an objective you get a moderate to awesome ability for the rest of the game, and then no other player can complete it. If you finish 3 objectives you win. Sometimes it seems like going all out (playing RISKY) just to finish an objective is the way to go, even though you might get beat down the next turn.

Haven't played online yet, so not sure how well that works.

So it seems like a great adaptation of Risk, you just have to be ok with not coming in 1st place due to die rolls + ai/players teaming up on you.

The AI really stomps people at times, I hate it. It reminds me a lot of 'World Conquest' on facebook because if you can't seem to roll well it's a good idea to stop before you lose your whole army.

I must have been lucky with the AI, they would just fight each other and let me do things like hold continents, or even the temple with nothing more than 1 army per area.

I tried a ranked online game and 3 people quit after it was clear I'd win, then the connection was lost so I didn't get a win (I assume the last guy left with me won, he'd been maxing out the time on his turn ever time around, I thought he was just bad, but apparently he was trying to frustrate others to quit. I don't know if he was able to cause the disconnect, but it seemed shady.)

Bought it and liking it so far. Played online for the first time with a total of 3 people playing and of course they NEVER used quick attack so it took a long time. One time it was my turn I accidentally hit the right bumper and it ended my turn without even getting my reinforcements. Hopefully they can fix that so if you do hit the right bumper at least have it ask you to confirm or something.

So I have a question which I found odd in the demo, can you play only 1v1 at all? Because everything seemed to need 3 and I know back in the day my friend and I would always play Risk on the PC against each other and that was what I was looking forward to doing, no AI involved.

[quote name='BrolyB593']So I have a question which I found odd in the demo, can you play only 1v1 at all? Because everything seemed to need 3 and I know back in the day my friend and I would always play Risk on the PC against each other and that was what I was looking forward to doing, no AI involved.[/QUOTE]

Yes, nomatter if you add computers or not, you can always add up to 4 total local players (one system), or up to 5 total online players (or computers), or any mixture.

I haven't played online yet, but I've enjoyed the custom games. Usually, though, because of the awful random territory dispertion, I end up getting my capitol taken by my first turn. And since that's pretty detrimental to the start of the game...

I wish you could choose your colors with any side you wanted... I loved the teal-blue looking soldiers in the first mission. :(

Wish there was a coop mode, or something to make it more fair for two people to play on the same side. That'd require some major gameplay changes though.

I bought this last night and ended up staying up to 6am with my roomates playing it. Thank god, today was my day off. It is essential just a computerized game of risk and that's good enough for me for 800 points.

[quote name='Rhett']
I haven't played online yet, but I've enjoyed the custom games. Usually, though, because of the awful random territory dispertion, I end up getting my capitol taken by my first turn. And since that's pretty detrimental to the start of the game...

[/QUOTE]

If you put your capitol somewhere where you have at least 1 or 2 terriotories adjacent, then if you lose it first turn you can quickly take it back. Any capitol gives you 1 army per turn and you need your starting capitol to win, so sometimes the best thing to do is just give it up and take someone elses or just focus on holding cities and/or continents.

My first couple of games I think I focused on protecting my capitol too much, but really it's not a big deal if you lose it.

[quote name='mcgavin27']I bought this last night and ended up staying up to 6am with my roomates playing it. Thank god, today was my day off. It is essential just a computerized game of risk and that's good enough for me for 800 points.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm wondering which mode you played as well.

I'm going through the campaign with the new features mode and I'm loving it. I love the little "optional" objectives and it can really make for a strategic war. This is a great game for 10 bucks imo.:applause:

Got this game when it came out. I love RISK, so this game is pretty fun. Have only tried splitscreen with a friend, it is a blast.

FYI for those interested, from Major Nelson's blog,

Week of November 1:
Risk: Factions, 400 Microsoft Points (50 percent off)

I'm a pretty big RISK fan, and played the demo and it seemed worth the 800, so I'll definitely be picking this up for 400.

Necrothread! ( somewhat... )

This game is 400 MP again ( at least it was last night ). I got it while registering for their end of the year giveaway. I would post about it but I am at work and cannot get the links proper. If anyone wants to play this add me. GT RedBeardRaven.

P.S. Anyone that has an Iphone or Ipod Touch ( maybe even Ipad ) Risk : The Official Game is only .99 and the game is actually really awesome. You can have yourself plus 5 other ( AI ) going at a time. Or you can play wirelessly with up to 4 other people and 4 AI going at one time. OR ( wow this is going on longer than I thought... ) you can pass n' play and basically have a portable Risk boardgame.

Cheers.

bread's done
Back