XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jhuntley']Could someone help me decide on the Maw or Dishwasher VS. I have 400 points that expire at the end of the month (1020 in all). I've played the demos and like both. I have not played the original Dishwasher and it's demo didn't do anything for me, so I won't have played the original if that's important for the story (though I don't really play games for the story anymore). The only other Twisted Pixel game I have is Splosion Man and after I hit the second or third world, I just said fuck it.[/QUOTE]

How do your points expire?

[quote name='eastx']The first Dishwasher was pretty damn boring for me too. Haven't tried the sequel though.[/QUOTE]

Ditto I snoozed thru the first DW demo. I never bought it. The second one I bought day one after trying the demo. The controls are responsive and tight. All around badass game. :cool:

I also picked up Outland, easily worth 1200-1600 points. It's a steal at 800 points. :bouncy:

I know people are soliciting CAGs for their opinion and that is fine, but I just looked at Metacritic and a good number of the 40+ critic reviews there seem pretty thorough. Am I wasting my time posting those links?

[quote name='reddjoey']I know people are soliciting CAGs for their opinion, but I just looked at Metacritic and the 40+ critic reviews there seem pretty thorough. Am I wasting my time posting those links?[/QUOTE]
No way dude! I love clicking those links. Keep up the hard work, you're the best! :applause:

[quote name='Newl']No way dude! I love clicking those links. Keep up the hard work, you're the best! :applause:[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

(You also caught me before I edited)

Yeah, keep posting the critic reviews. Those are a good indication of what we're "supposed" to be playing, but it's still great to hear from other CAGs/gamers on what is over/underrated. We're all cheap-asses here, so getting as much feedback as we can before buying something is a must.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Yeah, keep posting the critic reviews. Those are a good indication of what we're "supposed" to be playing, but it's still great to hear from other CAGs/gamers on what is over/underrated. We're all cheap-asses here, so getting as much feedback as we can before buying something is a must.[/QUOTE]

That seems about right. I'm too tired to piece together a competent chain of thoughts to explain my concern. (I was waiting for my grades to post)

[quote name='reddjoey']I know people are soliciting CAGs for their opinion and that is fine, but I just looked at Metacritic and a good number of the 40+ critic reviews there seem pretty thorough. Am I wasting my time posting those links?[/QUOTE]

I looked at the VS reviews and the opening page of metacritic has 3 different ones calling it the best game of 2011, neat yet repetitive, and possibly worth not deleting. Really not sure it's worth wasting your time chasing down the links.

Are the two Dead Rising 2 add-on packs just a novelty or something that's actually nice to have when playing the game?

I mean, I'm sure it makes the game easier, but are there any other benefits to the Psycho and Soldier packs?

[quote name='reddjoey']I know people are soliciting CAGs for their opinion and that is fine, but I just looked at Metacritic and a good number of the 40+ critic reviews there seem pretty thorough. Am I wasting my time posting those links?[/QUOTE]

IMO fellow CAGs are a much more trustworthy source for opinions on games than review sites, and also have a better grasp on rating a game's worth. So many reviews out there say something like "and at only 1200 MSP, this game is a steal!"

Although I'll always check Metacritic for what it's worth, if I'm really on the fence about a purchase I'll consult my CAG brothers ;) You guys sold me on SOTN when Metacritic didn't!

For some reason I thought SOTN was going to be on sale for only one day. Since it's going to be on sale for a week I may use the 400 points I currently have in my account to buy something else and pick up SOTN later in the week when I get more points.
Hmm I'm considering picking up RISK Faction. The demo was ok-ish, just too short to get a real feel for the game. Also, I am not into multiplayer games. So I don't know if the solo campaigns are worth it.

[quote name='bsmiff']IMO fellow CAGs are a much more trustworthy source for opinions on games than review sites, and also have a better grasp on rating a game's worth.[/QUOTE]
At best when you ask for a review on these boards you'll get a few people each writing at most a paragraph or two speaking in rather broad terms such as "The graphics suck" or "The game is soulless." Not only does the Metacritic link provide many more perspectives, each of which go into much, much more detail. Games are so disposable on this board that not every CAG allows the time to fully get into each game to provide a complete picture of the game before rushing off to chip away at the next game on top of their backlog.

As you mentioned, I think the opinions provided here are important, but wouldn't base my purchase decisions solely on them.

[quote name='Thrinn']At best when you ask for a review on these boards you'll get a few people each writing at most a paragraph or two speaking in rather broad terms such as "The graphics suck" or "The game is soulless." Not only does the Metacritic link provide many more perspectives, each of which go into much, much more detail. Games are so disposable on this board that not every CAG allows the time to fully get into each game to provide a complete picture of the game before rushing off to chip away at the next game on top of their backlog.

As you mentioned, I think the opinions provided here are important, but wouldn't base my purchase decisions solely on them.[/QUOTE]

Good post. I'll take an in-depth review over a sentence or two any day of the week. Especially because I write reviews for a site, but even if I didn't. :)

[quote name='bsmiff'] So many reviews out there say something like "and at only 1200 MSP, this game is a steal!"[/QUOTE]

Reviews never praise the 1200 price point as a good value. Not a valid complaint.

reddjoey, keep up the good work. The quicklook and metacritic links are essential to this thread. I usually have always seen the quicklook but those videos can make or break a purchase.

[quote name='eastx']Good post. I'll take an in-depth review over a sentence or two any day of the week. Especially because I write reviews for a site, but even if I didn't. :)

Reviews never praise the 1200 price point as a good value. Not a valid complaint.[/QUOTE]

I like using both as others have mentioned. Using Metacritic/Gamerankings as a general guide to gauge whether a game (or movie) might be worth looking into (or how soon to look into it) and use fellow cag opinions to further refine things.

As for the praising the 1200 price point , are we still talking about a specific game , or just in general , cause I thought I read at least 1 review that mentioned Section 8 Prejudice being a good value at $15.

Noticed on Xbox Rewards for the month of May there is a 240 point reward for buying a TV season pass. Although it's doubtful , anyone know if there might be any "deals" to be had?

[quote name='MoCiWe']Looking forward to picking up Bangai-O and the Castlevania HD stages soon, if only the characters were also on sale.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? I have all but one of the stages and would have bit on at least Simon and Fuma if the characters went up for sale. Oh well, I'll just get that new fx2 pinball table.

Wow, surprisingly unanimous dislike for The Maw. Thanks for the help, looks like I'll get Vampire Smile if nothing else goes on sale before the 31st.

[quote name='Jhuntley']Wow, surprisingly unanimous dislike for The Maw. Thanks for the help, looks like I'll get Vampire Smile if nothing else goes on sale before the 31st.[/QUOTE]

I liked The Maw when it first released. I took it for what it was: a bite-sized game that harkened back to the PS1 era. Others might have seen it as an aborted project with 15-year old game design. I'm beginning to see their side. I've expressed in other threads that I've liked Twisted Pixel less with each successive release, as I see their identity form into something I didn't anticipate with The Maw. So in a way, that decline has tainted my current view of The Maw, kind of like how the Matrix sequels tainted the first.

[quote name='Jhuntley']Wow, surprisingly unanimous dislike for The Maw. Thanks for the help, looks like I'll get Vampire Smile if nothing else goes on sale before the 31st.[/QUOTE]

I'll make it hard then. I think at 400 points it's plenty of fun. The puzzles aren't that hard but the environment is enjoyable and I think it is better than Banjo games.

[quote name='eastx']Just in case everybody doesn't know, the four Dead Rising 2 clothing packs' bonuses stack with each other. If you wear one article from each pack, you'll receive the bonuses for every pack. So if you feel like making the game easier, it's definitely a good idea to grab them all, regardless of their looks.[/QUOTE]
Wow, thanks for the heads-up, I had no idea.

[quote name='ooga']Hmm I'm considering picking up RISK Faction. The demo was ok-ish, just too short to get a real feel for the game. Also, I am not into multiplayer games. So I don't know if the solo campaigns are worth it.[/QUOTE]

If you're buying it just for single player, don't bother. The "campaign' is extremely short and more or less acts as a glorified tutorial. The game is really only fun with friends, though if you're a big Risk enthusiast you probably wouldn't mind playing against randoms either.

I'll make it REALLY easy for you. Buy VS or anything else you want other than the Maw. Download the demo for the Maw and play it. If it's something you think you'll enjoy then PM me and 'll send you a code to unlock the game. I got the code from MS as a gift, but I already have the game (also was a gift).
Please make the effort to try out the game first though. I'm not looking to trade the code or anything like that. I just want to give it to someone who will actually enjoy the game instead of adding it to his backlog and never playing it.

[quote name='crookshow']If you're buying it just for single player, don't bother. The "campaign' is extremely short and more or less acts as a glorified tutorial. The game is really only fun with friends, though if you're a big Risk enthusiast you probably wouldn't mind playing against randoms either.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right. I'll just use those 400 msp for some DLC that never goes on sale. Like the DLC packs for ilomilo, brutal legend or costume quest.

[quote name='StarKnightX']I like using both as others have mentioned. Using Metacritic/Gamerankings as a general guide to gauge whether a game (or movie) might be worth looking into (or how soon to look into it) and use fellow cag opinions to further refine things.

As for the praising the 1200 price point , are we still talking about a specific game , or just in general , cause I thought I read at least 1 review that mentioned Section 8 Prejudice being a good value at $15.

Noticed on Xbox Rewards for the month of May there is a 240 point reward for buying a TV season pass. Although it's doubtful , anyone know if there might be any "deals" to be had?[/QUOTE]I just got an HD season pass for doctor who @ 1600 points before the season premier last week :(

Unbelievable hate for the Maw. I loved that game and the expansions. I bought the game and the expansions during a sale and I'm glad I did.

As for tomorrows sale, I'm surprised Hard Corps isn't part of it. I doubt many copies sold with that inflated $15 price tag.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']
As for tomorrows sale, I'm surprised Hard Corps isn't part of it. I doubt many copies sold with that inflated $15 price tag.[/QUOTE]
I know they sold at least one. My brother bought it on day 1. I'll bite for 600 points when it does go on sale though. Here's hoping Microsoft double dips sales again this week.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I know they sold at least one. My brother bought it on day 1. I'll bite for 600 points when it does go on sale though. Here's hoping Microsoft double dips sales again this week.[/QUOTE]
LOL. Your bro actually thought that game was worth $15? I guess he didn't watch the Giant Bomb quick look?

No he just buys what he knows. He's an old school Contra fan and had to have it. He's playing Pokemon White after just finishing Black instead of playing something wholly new. I give him crap about it all the time.

EDIT: He bought the DLC day 1 too! Sad.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']No he just buys what he knows. He's an old school Contra fan and had to have it. He's playing Pokemon White after just finishing Black instead of playing something wholly new. I give him crap about it all the time.

EDIT: He bought the DLC day 1 too! Sad.[/QUOTE]

Reminder to self: write the words "Contra" or "Pokemon" on a bunch of crap and sell it to Chrono's brother for a tidy profit.
Damn, Konami and Nintendo beat me to it!!! :roll:

So is there a reason that Centipede & Milipede doesn't show up in the "Blast from the Past" page on the dash? I can see it if I browse for the title, but it's not advertised with the rest of the games.

[quote name='Nazgul11']So is there a reason that Centipede & Milipede doesn't show up in the "Blast from the Past" page on the dash? I can see it if I browse for the title, but it's not advertised with the rest of the games.[/QUOTE]
I had to look it up as well. Not sure why it was left off all week. Worth the 200 points easy imo.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']LOL. Your bro actually thought that game was worth $15? I guess he didn't watch the Giant Bomb quick look?[/QUOTE]

I bought Hard Corps at $15 and feel I got my money's worth out of it. Already put about 10 hours into the game, which is more time than it takes to play a lot of games today, like Bulletstorm.

I would not have enjoyed it as much without the uprising mode, but it was still a decent buy if you're into those kinds of games. Great fun with a second player too.

[quote name='StarKnightX']
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I meant in general. Couldn't think of any examples. I can see why someone would consider Prejudice a good value though.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Yea they did. Try doing a remake of Jackal or FFVII. He'd spend a fortune for remakes of those.[/QUOTE]
Wait, are you referring to Jackal from the NES? I fucking loved that game! LOL. My buddy and I played c-op all the time. I've been dying to see it release on Virtual Console, but like many other awesome games from my youth, it will probably never happen.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Wait, are you referring to Jackal from the NES? I fucking loved that game! LOL. My buddy and I played c-op all the time. I've been dying to see it release on Virtual Console, but like many other awesome games from my youth, it will probably never happen.[/QUOTE]

You bet. Jackal was one of our favorite coop games when we were kids. I'd love to see a new version but I can always pop the cart in my NES if I really had the itch

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Wait, are you referring to Jackal from the NES? I fucking loved that game! LOL. My buddy and I played c-op all the time. I've been dying to see it release on Virtual Console, but like many other awesome games from my youth, it will probably never happen.[/QUOTE]

The arcade version of Jackal is available in XBL's Game Room if that interests you. I've got both it and the NES cart so I'm all set :)

[quote name='bsmiff']The arcade version of Jackal is available in XBL's Game Room if that interests you. I've got both it and the NES cart so I'm all set :)[/QUOTE]

Got it. :D

Really surprised by all the hate for The Maw. Twisted Pixel is disproportionately disliked by the contributors to this thread, not saying they don't have valid points, etc., just that their games do much better when not in the context of this thread! haha.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Really surprised by all the hate for The Maw. Twisted Pixel is disproportionately disliked by the contributors to this thread, not saying they don't have valid points, etc., just that their games do much better when not in the context of this thread! haha.[/QUOTE]

It's true. I liked The Maw, loved Splosion Man, and had mixed feelings about Comic Jumper. There's a lot of love for the developer and their games, just very little of it in this thread. Simultaneously, I see a lot praise for games that I thought were not that good and got mixed review scores. I guess some of the more vocal posters just have different taste in games. It's one reason I think the metacritic and quick look links in the OP are a good idea.

[quote name='Slappybob']Do these sales start at midnight or later?

If so which time zone?[/QUOTE] Lately they have been showing up at 3am EST and slowly reaching 100% around 10am EST. You have all week, so relax.

[quote name='xblaze23']It's simple. Games like the Maw are either "charming" or "childish" depending on the personality of the player.[/QUOTE]

I found it charming, i liked it personally.

Pretty sure i grabbed it when it was on sale for 400 some other time

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back