XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
guys, is it just me or are the FX2 tables all the same with just minor skin changes? I only played the demos so I couldn't get fully into them.

[quote name='Stimes']I just got Black Ops, should I buy the First Strike pack?[/QUOTE]

hell no! The maps are okay, but if you can find them for $10 or less then i'd say yes buy them. Check the 360 code trading thread instead. I'm unsure of the new map pack Escalation as well and got tired of black ops and went back to mw2 instead..the map packs are better for that game. Castlevania HoD, how are the maps? Which are worth buying and which should I pass on? I haven't touched the game since it was on sale last time and didn't find much interest in the single player game and keep hearing online multiplayer is where it's at so i'll try that later on.

^thanks, I'll wait on that, Escalation looks pretty good, does anyone have it yet? Im going to mainly be playing for the Zombie Mode, I am normally a battlefield guy.

[quote name='Stimes']^thanks, I'll wait on that, Escalation looks pretty good, does anyone have it yet? Im going to mainly be playing for the Zombie Mode, I am normally a battlefield guy.[/QUOTE]

I love that you can 'spot' on battlefield and they implemented that into gears of war 3 too. If you have the $ you can probably get the Escalation map pack on here cheaper too the way I told you especially since you'll mainly use it for zombies.

As for Pinball FX 2, yes it's just new skins but the same ol' thing for the tables. I have most of the tables up to date and they're okay, but better to wait for a sale price instead.

[quote name='reddjoey']1. Glad you enjoyed SoTN

2. Maybe you don't know that there are about 50+ "announced" XBLA titles. The wikipedia page has a good list, but maintaining that big of a list here would be a big task. (I tried when I was doing the Marketplace thread. It was a couple tasks short of running a gaming blog)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the wiki link and again for the work you put into this thread. I had no idea Toejam & Earl and Bad Dudes XBLA releases were in the works! Just what I need, more XBLA titles with indefinite release dates to anticipate :p

[quote name='confoosious']guys, is it just me or are the FX2 tables all the same with just minor skin changes? I only played the demos so I couldn't get fully into them.[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure how many "new" features you're looking for. A pinball machine will always consist of ramps, bumpers, drop targets, etc. To FX2's credit, each of the tables does have its own unique "skin," but also various characters that interact with you as you play, multiple different missions and dot matrix video modes, all sorts of unique audio relative to the table's theme, and subtle quirks to how its usual pinball attributes are configured.

If you aren't really into pinball but interested in FX2, it would be worth it to pay for at least one table (Mars is a great start) to really concentrate on playing. The more you play, the better you get, the more you get out of a table content wise.

well, yeah but you can immediately tell the difference between Whirlwind and Medieval Madness. I felt like Iron Man and Wolverine was the same table..

[quote name='confoosious']guys, is it just me or are the FX2 tables all the same with just minor skin changes? I only played the demos so I couldn't get fully into them.[/QUOTE]

FX2 is the best XBLA game. Period. :)

Granted, if you don't care for pinball much then there isn't much here to change your mind.

If you even have the slightest interest in pinball though, do yourself a favor and pick up one of the 4 packs (Marvel or FX2 Core) for $10 and put some time into them learning the rules and how to score huge points as well as reach wizard modes respectively "beating" the tables.

It is a very deep and rewarding experience. It's the best pinball experience there is on any computer/console.

I don't think the demos do a very good job of allowing to you play the table. What do they limit you to? A couple million points? That's no fun.

Unlock a 4 pack and give them a whirl to see if you will enjoy the others in the collection. Either you will be hooked and want every table available... or you will say "yea that game is pretty cool but it's just not my sort of thing"...

Zen is doing a great job keeping up with DLC for this game. We are expecting brand new tables monthly from now on for a while (Fantastic Four was just announced).

[quote name='sp8001']FX2 is the best XBLA game. Period. :)

[/QUOTE]

Kudos on your bold, albeit insane statement. Have you not played Shadow Complex? What about Braid or Castle Crashers? Obviously you've never even heard about Pac-Man Championchip Edition DX because that might be one of the best games ever made. Let alone just for XBLA.

[quote name='confoosious']well, yeah but you can immediately tell the difference between Whirlwind and Medieval Madness. I felt like Iron Man and Wolverine was the same table..[/QUOTE]

You're comparing two FX2 tables from the same Marvel superheroes themed pack to two of the most well known and successful pinball machines made which are each representative of completely different themes. Not really apples to apples...

That said, FX2 isn't for everyone. I mostly agree with sp8001, but still consider PHoF: Williams to be my favorite console pinball game, and prefer going to the actual pinball arcade in town over all else.

jesus man, i'm just asking a question whether they are alike. Don't get your panties in a bunch about it.

It's a fine game. It just seems to me that each of the 4 packs are essentially the same game with a different skin. If so, no biggie, it's only $10. I'm just asking if others saw it the same way I did. I wasn't attacking the game or anything. Sheesh.

[quote name='bsmiff']I mostly agree with sp8001, but still consider PHoF: Williams to be my favorite console pinball game, and prefer going to the actual pinball arcade in town over all else.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this. I'm a big pinball fan and Pinball Hall of Fame runs circles around FX2, in my opinion. Even if you aren't familiar with the original machines or have any nostalgia for them the physics, cameras, and rule explanations are top-notch. I enjoy FX2 but it can't compete with Pinball Hall of Fame.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Kudos on your bold, albeit insane statement. Have you not played Shadow Complex? What about Braid or Castle Crashers? Obviously you've never even heard about Pac-Man Championchip Edition DX because that might be one of the best games ever made. Let alone just for XBLA.[/QUOTE]

Shadow Complex was awesome. I put a good couple hours into it beating it on hard. It's about time for another playthru on that one. But that's nothing compared to the 100+ hours I have put into FX2.

No one can make a definitive statement "best game ever". They can try, like I did :). But everyone knows it is always based solely on opinion.

I just can't express how much I love FX2 ;)

[quote name='gubmccargen']Totally agree with this. I'm a big pinball fan and Pinball Hall of Fame runs circles around FX2, in my opinion. Even if you aren't familiar with the original machines or have any nostalgia for them the physics, cameras, and rule explanations are top-notch. I enjoy FX2 but it can't compete with Pinball Hall of Fame.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong... I love PHoF... completed that one 1000/1000. Had a great time. It just doesn't have the polish that FX2 has or the support. The friend leaderboards are some of the worst I've ever used. And the game hasn't gotten one bit of support from the devs since release. Basically it's been abandoned. Harem Multiball glitch still fully intact since release day. PHoF is good but far from perfect. Just like FX2 is far from perfect. It's basically impossible to have a perfect pinball simulation but they are getting closer and closer. If you have ever played any of the tables IRL from PHoF you can't honestly say that PHoF plays just like the real thing.

[quote name='zohar']Thinking about picking up HOD but are any of the extra stages worth it? The retro stages look interesting...

What happens during online play if you're in a party and you don't have the stage?[/QUOTE]
You want all the extra stages. If you're on a team (up to 6 people) the host can only select levels that everyone has:
1) purchased
2) access to (meaning you've cleared the levels before it at least once if you want to play on normal, or you have cleared the level on normal if you want to play on hard. Clearing a level counts whether you did it in sp or mp.)
So you would be holding back the team if you don't have all levels purchased. Levels 7, 9, 10, and 11 are very popular since they have the best gear in the game. Levels 10 and 11 (the retro levels) are particularly interesting and the most difficult. Level 8 is fun and worth a purchase but not as popular.

Oh yeah, even after quitting a team the host cannot choose a level someone didn't have. They have to disband the entire team :/

Also if you don't have an extra character purchased and someone on your team uses him/her then that character will appear to you as a generic knight. You won't be able to see their animations or melee attacks, it's quite annoying. It won't hold the team back, but if you have the points it is worth it to grab any dlc character you are interested in.

[quote name='confoosious']jesus man, i'm just asking a question whether they are alike. Don't get your panties in a bunch about it.

It's a fine game. It just seems to me that each of the 4 packs are essentially the same game with a different skin. If so, no biggie, it's only $10. I'm just asking if others saw it the same way I did. I wasn't attacking the game or anything. Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s I really hope this isn't in response to me...

Just sharing my opinion on your perceived similarity of FX2 tables, like you asked. No bunched panties or hurt feelings :lol:

I was surprised to see that SOTN was only 95 Megs. After loading it up I can see that even 95 megs maybe a bit generous. It looks like crap on an HD screen. Easily the worst looking game in my collection. It will definitely look better on a standard definition setup.
Before anyone starts: yes I do know it is a 10 year old game. I just feel like it was a missed opportunity to sharpen up the graphics a bit. I am not talking about a complete remake, just a filter to make it a little easier on the eyes. And what's up with the ugly startup screen? That was not in the original game so Konami could've at least put a litle bit of effort into it and not made it look like homebrew.
The game itself is still fantastic though, even if it's a little bit hard to get into it after playing the GBA/DS games the last few years.

SOTN came out before they expanded the size limit for xbla games. That is why it is under a 100 mb. They even cut all of the CGI cut-scenes to save space. The game does have a few graphical enhancements, but it probably looks better through an emulator on the PC.

[quote name='Rollobobo']BANGAI-O MISSLE FURY IS OUT TODAY!!!!!

happy day! :)[/QUOTE]Agreed. Been enjoying it (up to level 15 now). There's something so satisfying when you unleash 1,000 giant missiles to destroy tons of enemies around you.

[quote name='zohar']Thinking about picking up HOD but are any of the extra stages worth it? The retro stages look interesting...

What happens during online play if you're in a party and you don't have the stage?[/QUOTE]

Like Lilman said, ou should definitely get all the Harmony of Despair stages if you can afford them. If you can't, at least get Stage 10 as it's the best value of any of them. It's longest and has the most unique enemies, music, and souls.

[quote name='confoosious']
It's a fine game. It just seems to me that each of the 4 packs are essentially the same game with a different skin. If so, no biggie, it's only $10. I'm just asking if others saw it the same way I did. I wasn't attacking the game or anything. Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

They really are not just different skins. Each table's targets, ramps, etc. are laid out differently. They all have different minigames and goals to complete (which would be hard to see in a demo). They play significantly differently even if the table is shaped similarly to another. Blade in particular is way different from the other Marvel tables, and Iron Man is annoyingly steep.

I'm actually kind of glad I got a break from anything I really wanted this week, between trying out Hulu Plus, hitting the backlog and being low on points, nice to have a week for "breathing room" if you will.

[quote name='Zonic505']Agreed. Been enjoying it (up to level 15 now). There's something so satisfying when you unleash 1,000 giant missiles to destroy tons of enemies around you.[/QUOTE]

Other than the upgrade in visuals is it essentially the same game as before?
I have the Dreamcast and DS versions. I am not sure I need to buy the same game a third time.

[quote name='sonnyforple']Does anyone think that all this Castlevania stuff will be released as a package at one point? Maybe even disc form?[/QUOTE]

Doubt it. SOTN is alrady available on a Konami compilation disc. I don't see them releasing it AGAIN just to pair it with HOD on a disc. Plus since HOD is so multiplayer-centric it can be argued that most people who would be interested in it are people who would buy it online instead of picking it up at a store.
As far as a package, I don't think MS promotes that concept. How many XBLA games have been re-released as a package to include their dlc??? Exactly! :)

[quote name='ooga']Other than the upgrade in visuals is it essentially the same game as before?
I have the Dreamcast and DS versions. I am not sure I need to buy the same game a third time.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is a sequel to the original Dreamcast game... I don't think it is the same game re-skinned.

Please correct me if I am wrong...

[quote name='ooga']Plus since HOD is so multiplayer-centric it can be argued that most people who would be interested in it are people who would buy it online instead of picking it up at a store.[/QUOTE]
That is a really good point. The best anyone could hope for is an all-in-one bundle offered online at a discounted price.

[quote name='sp8001']Don't get me wrong... I love PHoF... completed that one 1000/1000. Had a great time. It just doesn't have the polish that FX2 has or the support. The friend leaderboards are some of the worst I've ever used. And the game hasn't gotten one bit of support from the devs since release. Basically it's been abandoned. Harem Multiball glitch still fully intact since release day. PHoF is good but far from perfect. Just like FX2 is far from perfect. It's basically impossible to have a perfect pinball simulation but they are getting closer and closer. If you have ever played any of the tables IRL from PHoF you can't honestly say that PHoF plays just like the real thing.[/QUOTE]

Good points. In my fond memories for PHoF I had forgotten about the complete lack of support, DLC, or any sort of friend competition. The actual tables are great but it isn't a complete package with a lot of polish. When is Gottlieb ever going to come out for XBLA? The machines are certainly inferior to Williams but I love pinball games based on actual machines.

One thing that Zen could really learn from is the instruction system from PHoF. FX2 would be a lot more enjoyable if they made the instructions a bit more like a walkthrough a la PHoF.

I ended up playing SOTN for way too long last night and am now interested in Harmony of Despair... look what you guys have done :)

[quote name='gubmccargen']Good points. In my fond memories for PHoF I had forgotten about the complete lack of support, DLC, or any sort of friend competition. The actual tables are great but it isn't a complete package with a lot of polish. When is Gottlieb ever going to come out for XBLA? The machines are certainly inferior to Williams but I love pinball games based on actual machines.

One thing that Zen could really learn from is the instruction system from PHoF. FX2 would be a lot more enjoyable if they made the instructions a bit more like a walkthrough a la PHoF.[/QUOTE]

Explaining the rules of each table is one of the things PHoF really excelled at. You can even get a little pinball history lesson going thru those tutorials.

The Gottlieb Collection is definitely MIA. I have pretty much given up hope on it coming out. It might one day, but I am definitely not going to hold my breath. I would much rather have the devs spending their time creating a Bally Hall of Fame Collection rather than rehashing an old xbox 1 game that had below average tables.

About real life tables in FX2... Sure everyone would love to see these but the licensing issues are proving to be too difficult (or expensive) for Zen Studios. Most of the great machines of the 90s were based of movie or tv licenses which, from what I have read, are very difficult to get a hold of. (Williams Collection didn't have any movie or tv tables)

One thing about FX2 is it isn't really meant to be a pure pinball simulation like PHoF is. It has a much more "arcadey" feel to it. I think it works well, although I can see how others prefer a pure pinball simulator.

[quote name='bsmiff']I ended up playing SOTN for way too long last night and am now interested in Harmony of Despair... look what you guys have done :)[/QUOTE]

I might upgrade to gold this week so I can jump on SOTN. Such a classic.

I just got SOTN. After playing through it a bit, I have to say that whoever it was (too lazy to scour the old posts looking for it, sorry) that said it was like a beta version of the DS games is absolutely right. I mean, it's a fun game and all, but the gameplay isn't nearly as smooth and it feels like there are important parts missing.

It took me a couple retries to figure out how to save in SOTN. Pretty annoying. I'm glad this is just a feature that has been phased out of modern games.

[quote name='linkbear']It took me a couple retries to figure out how to save in SOTN. Pretty annoying. I'm glad this is just a feature that has been phased out of modern games.[/QUOTE]

I know, that got me too. It saves like the DS games, but there's no indicator saying "hey, press up to save here". If you haven't played a game like it before, I can see someone being stumped.

Oooh, ACII drop. That's another one to add to my list (I really do have a list) of $20 GoD games that I missed when they were new but want to play.

[quote name='Zonic505']Agreed. Been enjoying it (up to level 15 now). There's something so satisfying when you unleash 1,000 giant missiles to destroy tons of enemies around you.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but an entire game of nothing BUT that? Dull as heck.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Yes, but an entire game of nothing BUT that? Dull as heck.[/QUOTE]Well, in each stage, you get different weapons and different rules are set (in one level, I wasn't allowed to counter/unleash a ton of missiles/bullets or I didn't have my dash move), so they mix it up for each stage.

There's an achievement for beating the levels from the original game, so I wonder if it just means the levels are included or if they actually include the original game, story & all (though I doubt it).

I got Castlevania HD the first time it went on sale but didn't get around to playing it until now. Had a lot of fun with it so far, put 3 hours into it. Very good game to me. Got the discounted DLC as well.

[quote name='Gore']Nice deal for Castlevania SotN. Why not own it on the 360 too.
How is Snoopy Flying Ace? Worth 400msp?[/QUOTE]

Did you ever play Crimson Skies on the original Xbox? It's a lot like that. Pretty enjoyable, arcadey, and straightforward.

[quote name='Gore']Nice deal for Castlevania SotN. Why not own it on the 360 too.
How is Snoopy Flying Ace? Worth 400msp?[/QUOTE]

I bought it the last deal of the week. Online is still quite active, no problem getting in a 16 player match on the weekends. A fun game to just pick up now and then, worth the $5 easy. If you don't play multiplayer then it might not be worth is as the single player is very short.

Just had to get castlevania harmony of despair. Too bad extra achievements is not included with the extra levels or I'd buy them as well.

[quote name='topplehat']Did you ever play Crimson Skies on the original Xbox? It's a lot like that. Pretty enjoyable, arcadey, and straightforward.[/QUOTE]

I bought Snoopy a few weeks ago and only managed to play it for a few minutes, but the controls don't seem to be very responsive. They seem very stiff. I enjoyed the hell out of Crimson Skies. This game however, is not quite as good, but I guess for $5 and a lack of alternatives I can't complain too much.

[quote name='ps2emotions']Just had to get castlevania harmony of despair. Too bad extra achievements is not included with the extra levels or I'd buy them as well.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Typically I don't bother with DLC if it doesn't include achievement. Of course, exceptions are made if I'm really into a particular game. I'm not reallly into Castlevania HD. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back