XBLA - Shred Nebula - 800Pts - Sept. 3rd -- Interview on CAG Foreplay!!!!

MotzCTG

CAGiversary!
Updated this thead to follow how other games are set up.

Anyways, my name is Motz, and I am a programmer on Shred Nebula and have been a fellow CAG on a few different user names for a few years now. Also here is another programmer our lead: Wank8734. You can ask us questions and we will do our best to answer... if we can that is.

Latest News:

9/5/08:
Listen to the new CAG Foreplay for an interview with me and your chance to win a copy of the game and a CTG t-shirt!

8/28/08:
Sick new trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39208.html

8/27/08:
New Developer Walk Through of the new ships!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39173.html

8/27/08:
At the bottom I am adding all of the ships images that are available in Multiplayer!

8/23/08:

Shred Nebula Demo + new info + tournament announcement:
http://www.g4tv.com/prestitial.aspx?r=%2fxplay%2fvideos%2f28037%2fShred_Nebula_Web_Exclusive_Demo.html

8/15/08:
New Ships are being revealed throughout the week at www.shrednebula.com

8/15/08:
Developer walk through on Gametrailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38493.html

8/15/08:
ALL Modes outlined on www.shrednebula.com:
Single Player
Arcade Adventure: This is the main single player mode in Shred Nebula. The adventure will span 20+ levels of uncharted space (including secret levels!).
Score Attack: In this mode players will come face to face with endless waves of enemies as they try to stay alive as long as they can with the chance of surviving all the way to the “Shred”. Players will have a limited amount of lives to begin with, but can gain more lives they reach score thresholds.
Dual Score Attack (offline): This mode follows the same rules as the single player Score Attack mode, except you now are able to compete with a friend to attempt to get a higher score than your buddy with a original life sharing system that ensures skilled players to not get screwed by their buddy choking (dying a lot).
Score System: Both Single player modes feature a progressive scoring system that allows for multiple play styles such as speed runs, 100% bonus collection or a combination of both for max high scores. Leader boards for this mode are all about the final score! Special Icon beside the score will indicate who pulled this off with just 1 credit!

Multiplayer – Online (only in full purchase)
Death Match: The core of the online play will be the dog-fight death match mode. Will feature up to 8 players in ranked and player matches.
Single Ranked: Up to 8 players, 1 person per Xbox 360 console, will be able to join in an all out dog-fight to the death. Players will pick one of 8 ships (based on unlock status) and duel in a plethora of uncharted space levels. Win rules are based on number of kills required to win. We feel that ranking scoring system is critical to the games longevity and legitimacy on XBLA as a true multiplayer game. Therefore we have included several leaderboard filters to cater to players preference
Most Game Wins: Plain and simple, who has one the most games in the world?
Most Frags: This player may not win the most, but they sure have blow up more ships then anyone else on this planet!
TrueSkill: Averages win/losses and skill of matches to achieve a “TrueSkill” top ranking.
Player Match: This mode is very similar to the Ranked mode except that the results from the dog-fights will not be ranked on the online leader board. Up to 8 players can pick from up to 8 ships (based on unlock status), pick the level they wish to battle in and adjust win conditions, power ups allowed, etc.

Multiplayer – Split Screen
1 on 1 Death Match (offline): Split screen dog-fighting as players can duel it out against each other in a huge assortment of multiplayer levels and select from up to 8 unique ships crafts (based on unlock status). Various tactics can be deployed on different levels, which make for an interesting and long lasting death match mode. This mode is not ranked on the leader boards.
Online Split Screen Guest Player Match! (full purchase only): Shred Nebula let’s players take a guest into Xbox Live battle to see what Shred Nebula is all about!!!

8/8/08
Released first official trailer:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/944114/6195700/shred-nebula-official-trailer-1

8/7/08
Official release date announced Sept. 3rd!

And new website Launched
http://www.shrednebula.com

8/7/08
Going to be on On the Spot in about 30 mins....4pm pst
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/

WATCH some news going to be announced about it!.

8/5/08:
Team-Xbox has an hands on preview of the game revealing lots of goodies:
http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2073/Shred-Nebula/p1/

7/15/08:
Here is a link to the 1st ever video footage released for Shred Nebula. Enjoy!

www.shrednebula.com/ShredNebula_XBLA_1st_Reveal.wmv Note: (requires Windows Media Player 9+ to be 60FPS!)
For release date info, you can read more at: www.djamesgoddard.com and www.shrednebula.com

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37300.html

This is a game that I have been working on for the last year and a half or so enjoy.

Playable Multiplayer Ships:
shipinfo_rip_diff.jpg

shipinfo_marauder_diff.jpg

shipinfo_guardbot_diff.jpg

shipinfo_djinn_diff.jpg

shipinfo_railstinger_diff.jpg

shipinfo_hydra_diff.jpg

shipinfo_darkwave_diff.jpg

-Motz

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SpazX']That looks pretty awesome, can you give away any for free? ;)[/QUOTE]

We will see what happens once we get closer to launch, I would like to do something with CAG.

[quote name='MotzCTG']We will see what happens once we get closer to launch, I would like to do something with CAG.[/quote]

Awesome :)

[quote name='fart_bubble']wish the rumored release date on this week ended up being true, I've been looking forward to this one[/quote]
Yeah would have been really cool, it's an interesting story of what happened really, but I can't talk about it.

[quote name='YodaEXE']VERY nice! I look forward to this! Too bad you can't do some sort of CAG discount or something.[/quote]

I wish I could, but hopefully I'll be able to give some copies out.

[quote name='MotzCTG']Yeah would have been really cool, it's an interesting story of what happened really, but I can't talk about it.[/QUOTE]

Didn't expect that you would be able to though the (most likely baseless) conjecture I've read makes it seem pretty shady.

So what did the tournament fighters actually help you guys with? I was thinking balancing the deathmatch but I haven't heard anything about there being different ships (though that would be cool).

[quote name='fart_bubble']Didn't expect that you would be able to though the (most likely baseless) conjecture I've read makes it seem pretty shady.

So what did the tournament fighters actually help you guys with? I was thinking balancing the deathmatch but I haven't heard anything about there being different ships (though that would be cool).[/QUOTE]

Tech Lead at Crunchtime Games here (MotzCTG's boss on this project!). They did help us with balancing and if you look at the video the action from 19 seconds onward is all deathmatch (notice the multiple types of ships). More details on all ships will be coming leading up to the release (but trust me, they aren't just copies of each other).

[quote name='Wank8734']Tech Lead at Crunchtime Games here (MotzCTG's boss on this project!). They did help us with balancing and if you look at the video the action from 19 seconds onward is all deathmatch (notice the multiple types of ships). More details on all ships will be coming leading up to the release (but trust me, they aren't just copies of each other).[/QUOTE]

thank you as I've always been curious about that ever since I've heard that you guys were bringing them in.

Hope this game does well for you, though I love the classics (and I do tend to buy quite a few of them) and stuff like the "new" versions of classics, I still love seeing original games on the arcade from the smaller developers. Anyways, 1st day purchase for me.

[quote name='fart_bubble']damn, 1000 kills in deathmatch.[/QUOTE]

Wont be too bad seeing the multiplayer is awesome and you will want to keep playing it over and over. But, Score the Core, now that is a challenge.

decent write up (wish he had gone a bit more in depth). So is September when you guys are planning for it to get released or do you guys not want to say anything after the July release thing?

Either way, I'm really stoked to be able to finally check this out

[quote name='fart_bubble']decent write up (wish he had gone a bit more in depth). So is September when you guys are planning for it to get released or do you guys not want to say anything after the July release thing?

Either way, I'm really stoked to be able to finally check this out[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to lie, we have an official official date, which is soon approaching. "Technically" we haven't announced the official date, however the Team-Xbox article has Sept. down so let's just say i put that up there.... :)

Hopefully we will see more write ups on it soon, and a lot more information should hopefully be put out there soon.

Looks like they enjoyed it, so I still have hopes for it. I'll definitely give the demo a go. What's the percentage that developers actually get from the purchase price now?

Seeing I can't give exact figures, here is a quote from a gamespot article:
"The publicly available information on this is that the distribution fees for bringing a game to XBLA is 35 to 70 percent, depending upon participation by [Microsoft],"

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/marbleblastultra/news.html?sid=6158142

Microsoft has never officially released what they paid out though i don't think, but it is pretty good. I think every game is different though.

That looks like fun. I'll definitely check out the demo when it is released and I'll more than likely drop the points on it.

Even if the game is good, I might have a hard time buying it coming out between Castle Crashers and Mega Man 9.

Motz, great to see this is finally coming out!! I can't wait to frag you guys online instead of just in the studio. :)

Game looks great, reminds me of an old MMO game with spaceships, they controlled similar, it was a fairly simple game, man...I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, you could pick up different weapons, place mines, you'd have a limited boost...different style spaceships :whistle2:k

Anyways, this is looking very good, great job you guys, can't wait to try it out next month.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Game looks great, reminds me of an old MMO game with spaceships, they controlled similar, it was a fairly simple game, man...I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, you could pick up different weapons, place mines, you'd have a limited boost...different style spaceships :whistle2:k

Anyways, this is looking very good, great job you guys, can't wait to try it out next month.[/QUOTE]

Armada?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just remembered, it was called Subspace Continuum:[/quote]
I used to play that, was very elite :p

Yeah the gameplay is sometimes compared to a cross between asteroids and subspace. Shred nebula I would say has inspiration from those games, but has a lot more to it.

Oh, and we just released the first Official trailer, put that on the front page...

I'm not going to lie, I dont' love the trailer...too wordy, but the gameplay footage is very good.

[quote name='MotzCTG']Yeah the gameplay is sometimes compared to a cross between asteroids and subspace. Shred nebula I would say has inspiration from those games, but has a lot more to it.[/quote]

Obviously, the game alone from the video looks like soooooo much more than the simplicity of Subspace, which is good. I'm really looking forward to trying this one out. Plus the 800pts price tag is pretty reasonable.

[quote name='MotzCTG']TONS of new info on the front page, all game modes outlined, developer walkthrough, and lots more!!!!![/quote]
Good luck with your launch, looking forward to it. :)

Yeah there is a lot packed into the game. It is def a game that you will get a lot of play time out of. The multiplayer alone will suck plenty of time away from your life, especially if you find your perfect ship to control.

What is really cool is that we included a bunch of split screen modes. Score Attack, offline multiplayer, and online multiplayer, which is really cool.

More info coming out this week and next week :)

2 weeks left!

That video has me interested. I liked the combat in Star Control, this looks similar to that but with deeper gameplay/more strategy required/varied environments.

[quote name='MotzCTG']Yeah there is a lot packed into the game. It is def a game that you will get a lot of play time out of. The multiplayer alone will suck plenty of time away from your life, especially if you find your perfect ship to control.
[/quote]

Railstinger FTW. :)

bread's done
Back