XBLA - 'Splosion Man - 800 points - 7/21/11: Free Epilogue DLC Released

really digging this game. It definitely has the "just one more level" touch. Its funnier than The Maw IMO.

If anyone wants to play multiplayer, just add my tag

Co-op in this game is crazy. I guess I'll try some random groups and see how that goes. Not sure how many people are going to buy the game and join co-op just to grief people, but I'm sure there's going to be some.

Has anyone here unlocked the theme and avatar items yet?

I'm curious how that part of the game works, since nothing else on XBLA has that as a feature yet.

I unlocked a gamerpic after beating level 1-4 solo, then another for beating 1-4 (a different level) on multi. I just got done playing the first 9 levels with Pure Apathy on multi, actually.

I'm wondering how it'll work with 4 players.

I'm loving this game so far. I just bought it today and played it for a bit. I'm at 2-7 now I think. I had to stop for a bit because a bad storm came rolling into the area. Just did get the XBox turned off before the power went out.

This is definitely worth 800 points. I think I may finally buy The Maw as well. I've had the demo forever, but never pulled the trigger. I want to support Twisted Pixel more though for putting high quality in a 800 point price point.

That was quite possably the most delightful little surprise I've ever experenced in a game when I picked the fat guy up, the music ripped, and that song started playing.

I'm stuck on the first boss right now, but every time I die I have to restart the whole level just so I can see the whole shout out to Dave. Do they do more shout outs to programmers/devs with the other bosses?

Just finished this game. Anyone who grew up in the 8-16 bit era owes it to themselves to pick splosion man up. I'd even go so far as to say this is one of the best platformers I've ever played...ever.

And the ending...the ending is glorious.

Is the ending better than the Castle Crashers ending? No spoilers for either game; I'm just curious.

How has online co-op been running for you guys? Once I got into a group of 3, it lagged a lot, but we weren't sure if that was one user's connection or not.

Finally, I am curious- If I get to the point where I want to use the "coward's way" and skip to the next level, will that prevent me from getting achievements?

Muh-muh-muh-missles!!!!

fucking sweet as game, got to the first boss in Co-Op last night...got stuck in one level for 40min...but still had a blast :D

Just did the demo. Played alot like N+ but with MUCH better graphics and humor and not nearly as frustrating. I'm gonna bite and buy it today!

[quote name='Matt Young']Is the ending better than the Castle Crashers ending? No spoilers for either game; I'm just curious.

Finally, I am curious- If I get to the point where I want to use the "coward's way" and skip to the next level, will that prevent me from getting achievements?[/QUOTE]

On par. Just as random too.

Probably. Don't be a pansy, just do it. I got super stuck on 3-5 but I watched a supremely sped up gameplay video (for finding the cake locations on Youtube) and I saw what I was doing wrong with my technique. So don't give up. Honestly after 3-7 the game eases up the the difficulty and you basically just ride it almost. Sure you'll still die a lot but it won't feel as impossible.

http://www.splosionman.com/ - Faceplate prints, backgrounds, and soundtracks oh my!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I really enjoyed the demo, but can anyone tell me if there is any replay value in here at all.

I know there is a co-op mode (can this be played offline?), but once you beat both modes, are you pretty much finished?

[quote name='lolwut?']Well, I really enjoyed the demo, but can anyone tell me if there is any replay value in here at all.

I know there is a co-op mode (can this be played offline?), but once you beat both modes, are you pretty much finished?[/QUOTE]

I believe there's a super challenge mode or something like that according to the achievements...there's also time trials, and there's a par time to each level.

[quote name='lolwut?']Well, I really enjoyed the demo, but can anyone tell me if there is any replay value in here at all.

I know there is a co-op mode (can this be played offline?), but once you beat both modes, are you pretty much finished?[/QUOTE]

There's a lot of content just playing through the levels once. Most people would be between 5-10 hours depending on your skill (for single player). After you beat it, you can go back and look for the cake in all the levels. The game is designed for time trials (if you are into that). And then you get an achievement for beating hardcore mode (1 shot kills you, no checkpoints within individual levels).

You can do co-op offline for up to 4 players (I've read, I haven't tried it).

Man, some levels are very frustrating until you learn the layout. Still like the game, but one can definitely get stuck at points for very long periods of time.

I didn't realize until after seeing it in action that getting some of the cakes are time sensitive since a scientists will go lock themselves in with it when you appear. Though I was able to just splode right through the impenetrable glass one time, which was odd.

i was really enjoying this game, until i got to chapter 2-6. now the game is just annoying the hell out of me. still worth $10, but damn its frustrating. i think i need to leave the game alone for a week and then go back to it.

[quote name='madcyantist']Hmm maybe I'll have to give the demo another chance with comments like these!@[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking the same thing.

[quote name='deszaras']I'm thinking the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Go for it. I got a 1600 point card for MvC2 and had enough in my account beforehand to cover Splosion Man. I played the demo for maybe five minutes, and that was enough to sell me on it.

2-10 is really hard (spikes coming up from the ground + electricity fields + bombs = precise timing needed). I got through the first puzzle before that and got the cake but ended up quitting since I could reaching the platform after the bombs before it got away and died.

im around level 3-4 now and its getting crazy difficult. everything you do has to be perfect. so much trial and error but damn it feels good once you finally do beat the level. i will be going back after i eventually beat it to find the cakes, wont be doing the time trials though seeing that theres no reward for doing them....not one that i know of.

[quote name='sublime90']im around level 3-4 now and its getting crazy difficult. everything you do has to be perfect. so much trial and error but damn it feels good once you finally do beat the level. i will be going back after i eventually beat it to find the cakes, wont be doing the time trials though seeing that theres no reward for doing them....not one that i know of.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that the avatar rewards are going to be attached to something super difficult like completing all levels under par, or beat the game in super hard difficulty.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I have a feeling that the avatar rewards are going to be attached to something super difficult like completing all levels under par, or beat the game in super hard difficulty.[/QUOTE]

you unlock one for beating 1-4 in single player, the other for 1-4 in co-op, and the theme for just beating the game, i believe.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']you unlock one for beating 1-4 in single player, the other for 1-4 in co-op, and the theme for just beating the game, i believe.[/QUOTE]

That's for the gamerpics.

This game is the first to have unlockable avatar item(s?) as a reward for completing certain challenges.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's for the gamerpics.

This game is the first to have unlockable avatar item(s?) as a reward for completing certain challenges.[/QUOTE]

oh does it, i did not know that. now i have to go search it, thanks ;)

Good luck...I've been searching myself...rumor is that it won't be obtainable till sometime after the XBL update goes live August 11.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's for the gamerpics.

This game is the first to have unlockable avatar item(s?) as a reward for completing certain challenges.[/QUOTE]

As part of the beta, I have access to the avatar marketplace/awards. Would I be able to use those unlockable avatar item(s)?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Good luck...I've been searching myself...rumor is that it won't be obtainable till sometime after the XBL update goes live August 11.[/QUOTE]

that makes me a saaaaad panda :cry:

[quote name='flameofdoom666']As part of the beta, I have access to the avatar marketplace/awards. Would I be able to use those unlockable avatar item(s)?[/QUOTE]

I would assume so, but no one has found a way to unlock them so that's why people assume it won't be revealed till some time after the update goes live to all.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']It will probally be a title update after the NXE update... blah[/QUOTE]

This is what one of the developers on Major Nelson said. Avatar clothes are built into the game but there will have to be a title update before they are available/unlockable.

bread's done
Back